Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No football for the next three weeks? 10:50 - Mar 13 with 8234 viewsIOMDale

Apparently to protect players more than the public.

UTDNFS

No football for the next three weeks? on 10:55 - Mar 13 with 4812 viewsTalkingSutty

That's the season over and done with, no way things are going to improve over the next few months. Wipe the season from the records and start again in September would be the best plan.
[Post edited 13 Mar 2020 10:55]
No football for the next three weeks? on 10:57 - Mar 13 with 4780 viewsAncoats_Blue

No football for the next three weeks? on 10:55 - Mar 13 by TalkingSutty

That's the season over and done with, no way things are going to improve over the next few months. Wipe the season from the records and start again in September would be the best plan.

Selfishly I'd be happy with that as we'd stay up.
However you'd get clubs on the verge of promotion suing the EFL/Prem/FA for lost income.

Probably easier to just draw a line under the season as it is now. We'd still stay up then ;).
No football for the next three weeks? on 10:58 - Mar 13 with 4771 viewsSandyman

Confirmed on Radio 5. All clubs have been sent a statement from the EFL.
No football for the next three weeks? on 10:59 - Mar 13 with 4765 viewsdeeplishblue

I can't decide whether this is a massive over-reaction or a sensible precaution.

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

No football for the next three weeks? on 10:59 - Mar 13 with 4763 viewsdingdangblue

No football for the next three weeks? on 10:55 - Mar 13 by TalkingSutty

With apparently the virus not to peak till another 4 weeks yet I cant see it starting in April?
If it is cancelled completely what will happen to the results already played, goals scored?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

No football for the next three weeks? on 11:02 - Mar 13 with 4745 viewsIOMDale

No football for the next three weeks? on 10:59 - Mar 13 by deeplishblue

I can't decide whether this is a massive over-reaction or a sensible precaution.

Personally think they've jumped the gun a bit early but you'd still be dealing with a lengthy postponement further down the line.

There's surely no way the Euros will go ahead now so clubs would have a bit of a leeway with regards to continuing to play into the summer.

UTDNFS

No football for the next three weeks? on 11:21 - Mar 13 with 4629 viewselectricblue

I think its a good thing to cancel all fixtures until april..
Also between now and April hold talks about ending the current season....
Then next season start again with no relegation or promotions.....

As for revenue compo to clubs how would that work........

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

No football for the next three weeks? on 11:37 - Mar 13 with 4535 viewsDaleFan7

If the peak is yet to come then there's no chance it starts again in April.

They're also telling us that at least 60% of us need to get it to build up herd immunity but then shutting everything.
Login to get fewer ads

No football for the next three weeks? on 11:40 - Mar 13 with 4516 viewsDaleView

No football for the next three weeks? on 11:21 - Mar 13 by electricblue

I think its a good thing to cancel all fixtures until april..
Also between now and April hold talks about ending the current season....
Then next season start again with no relegation or promotions.....

As for revenue compo to clubs how would that work........

Compensation for the lower leagues? ........levy a tax on all the Premiership millionaire players. They are the ones being protected so let them help their colleagues in the lower leagues.
No football for the next three weeks? on 11:42 - Mar 13 with 4509 viewsSandyman

Radio Manchester to repeat Bolton commentaries on matchdays.

No football for the next three weeks? on 11:44 - Mar 13 with 4500 viewsIOMDale

No football for the next three weeks? on 11:42 - Mar 13 by Sandyman

UTDNFS

No football for the next three weeks? on 11:44 - Mar 13 with 4500 viewskiwidale

No football for the next three weeks? on 11:42 - Mar 13 by Sandyman

haha

This is not the time for bickering.

No football for the next three weeks? on 11:50 - Mar 13 with 4470 viewsD_Alien

My take on this is the scientific evidence regarding phases of the epidemic have been discarded in favour of political expediency - but i don't blame the politicians. The outcry over being the "outlier" in terms of national responses was becoming too much

Herd mentality wins over herd immunity

The result? Immunity will take longer to develop and the usual outcome of that is more deaths, perhaps not in this outbreak but those coming down the line

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

No football for the next three weeks? on 11:57 - Mar 13 with 4425 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

No football for the next three weeks? on 11:50 - Mar 13 by D_Alien

My take on this is the scientific evidence regarding phases of the epidemic have been discarded in favour of political expediency - but i don't blame the politicians. The outcry over being the "outlier" in terms of national responses was becoming too much

The result? Immunity will take longer to develop and the usual outcome of that is more deaths, perhaps not in this outbreak but those coming down the line

Precisely. The only way for a population to develop an immunity is by catching the disease in the first place and building up a resistance to it. By isolating people you are only preventing immunity from establishing itself, people can’t stay at home for ever & when they finally come out they will be no better equipped to deal with future flare ups of the virus!
No football for the next three weeks? on 11:58 - Mar 13 with 4413 viewskiwidale

No football for the next three weeks? on 11:57 - Mar 13 by Plattyswrinklynuts

Precisely. The only way for a population to develop an immunity is by catching the disease in the first place and building up a resistance to it. By isolating people you are only preventing immunity from establishing itself, people can’t stay at home for ever & when they finally come out they will be no better equipped to deal with future flare ups of the virus!

Try telling that to them that are already dead.

This is not the time for bickering.

No football for the next three weeks? on 12:06 - Mar 13 with 4367 viewsSandyman

Yesterday the EFL said "In light of today’s announcement by the UK Government, EFL matches will continue to take place as normal while the guidance from the relevant authorities remains that there is no medical rationale to close or cancel sporting events at this time."

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/march/efl-statement-coronavirus-update2/

Less than 24 hours later, they say

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/march/efl-statement-coronavirus-update3/

It seems a bit Corporal Jones "don't panic don't panic" to me, that they can change direction at such short notice. People at EFL clubs will have turned up for work today fully expecting Saturdays games to be played given yesterday's statement. Poor management by the EFL. Plenty of compo to be claimed off them.
No football for the next three weeks? on 12:21 - Mar 13 with 4284 viewsDaleiLama

No football for the next three weeks? on 12:06 - Mar 13 by Sandyman

Yesterday the EFL said "In light of today’s announcement by the UK Government, EFL matches will continue to take place as normal while the guidance from the relevant authorities remains that there is no medical rationale to close or cancel sporting events at this time."

It seems a bit Corporal Jones "don't panic don't panic" to me, that they can change direction at such short notice. People at EFL clubs will have turned up for work today fully expecting Saturdays games to be played given yesterday's statement. Poor management by the EFL. Plenty of compo to be claimed off them.

Almost like they've been leaned on?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

No football for the next three weeks? on 12:22 - Mar 13 with 4283 viewsMorden

No football for the next three weeks? on 11:50 - Mar 13 by D_Alien

Actually, I think they are doing a reasonable job resisting calls to go nuclear. This morning, the BBC interviewers were continually asking why aren't schools being shut, etc. Irelands doing it, aren't they? France have already postponed Ligues 1 et 2, haven't they? Why aren't we doing it

Throughout this barrage, the interviewees whether they be politician, civil servant or scientist have said we're going to follow the science on this one.
'Yeah, but France, USA, Belgium, yadda, yadda...."

We'll we have to trust our own opinion; and if the opinion of the scientists is different from those of other countries...well, what do you do? Just go with the herd? If the epidemiologists and infectious disease experts really think this is the best way to handle it, are you going to go against them?

Calling for politicians to heed the scientists on climate change but to ignore them on this one - just because the non-expert public demand it - is a bit rubbish
No football for the next three weeks? on 12:24 - Mar 13 with 4269 viewsMorden

No football for the next three weeks? on 12:06 - Mar 13 by Sandyman

And the Corporal Jones reference is bang on
No football for the next three weeks? on 12:46 - Mar 13 with 4169 viewsboromat

After the advice from the government yesterday I think this is a massive mistake.

This shouldn't have happened for another week or so yet. The gain from doing it will be hardly anything and at the wrong time going off what was said yesterday.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

No football for the next three weeks? on 13:01 - Mar 13 with 4094 viewsBigDaveMyCock

No football for the next three weeks? on 10:59 - Mar 13 by deeplishblue

Or a massive precaution or sensible over-reaction?

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

No football for the next three weeks? on 13:31 - Mar 13 with 3981 viewsdingdangblue

And Cheltenham is going ahead today still.
Maybe Guinness is an antidote.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

No football for the next three weeks? on 13:34 - Mar 13 with 3968 viewsrafc1977

If things even themselves out over a season (as were always told does so with penalties and and and) then surely a fair way for the leagues would be to divide the current points total by games played and x by total games in the league (so 44 in our case)

This is of course provided the season cant be finished at a later stage. It wont please all, but then when can you.
No football for the next three weeks? on 14:01 - Mar 13 with 3891 viewsIOMDale

No football for the next three weeks? on 13:34 - Mar 13 by rafc1977

If things even themselves out over a season (as were always told does so with penalties and and and) then surely a fair way for the leagues would be to divide the current points total by games played and x by total games in the league (so 44 in our case)

This is of course provided the season cant be finished at a later stage. It wont please all, but then when can you.

If we did a very simple calculation and just divided current points totals by games played, the bottom six would look like this:

18 Rochdale 1.058
19 MK Dons 1.057
20 AFC Wimbledon 1
21 Tranmere 0.94
22 Southend 0.54
23 Bolton 0.41

I therefore concur that from an entirely selfish point of view, your proposal is excellent, rafc1977.

UTDNFS

No football for the next three weeks? on 14:11 - Mar 13 with 3850 viewsCreepy

No football for the next three weeks? on 14:01 - Mar 13 by IOMDale

If we did a very simple calculation and just divided current points totals by games played, the bottom six would look like this:

18 Rochdale 1.058
19 MK Dons 1.057
20 AFC Wimbledon 1
21 Tranmere 0.94
22 Southend 0.54
23 Bolton 0.41

I therefore concur that from an entirely selfish point of view, your proposal is excellent, rafc1977.

If the season can't be completed, this has to be the fairest way to do it. 80% of the season is complete so its a fair indication of where teams would finish. Can't see Liverpool, Leeds, West Brom or Coventry accepting that the season should be scrapped. Tables should be based on 80% of what has happened rather than 20% of what might have. Hopefully, though, we'll manage somehow to get the season finished although I'm not sure how this will happen. Can't go past the end of June as players will be out of contract. Interesting times ahead.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024