Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
21 greatest club teams in history 19:53 - Mar 28 with 1594 viewsJames1980

https://www.givemesport.com/1558875-the-21-greatest-sides-in-history-have-been-r

Do the 1991 Red Star Belgrade deserve to be in 3rd place

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

21 greatest club teams in history on 20:36 - Mar 28 with 1561 viewspioneer

You have titled it greatest club teams but the link doesnt mention that and includes the great Hungary team of the 1950s that changed the way footy was played.

But then what abut the Brazil teams of 1958 and 1970, or the Spain team of 2008-2012?

Also in consideration should be the great teams of Huddersfield in the 1920s and Arsenal in the 1930s, both managed by Herbert Chapman.

I expect there will be some from a small town without a team not far from Bolton wanting to include a cup winning team from the Boer war era too!
21 greatest club teams in history on 20:53 - Mar 28 with 1551 viewsJames1980

21 greatest club teams in history on 20:36 - Mar 28 by pioneer

You have titled it greatest club teams but the link doesnt mention that and includes the great Hungary team of the 1950s that changed the way footy was played.

But then what abut the Brazil teams of 1958 and 1970, or the Spain team of 2008-2012?

Also in consideration should be the great teams of Huddersfield in the 1920s and Arsenal in the 1930s, both managed by Herbert Chapman.

I expect there will be some from a small town without a team not far from Bolton wanting to include a cup winning team from the Boer war era too!

I have to make mistakes.

21 greatest club teams in history on 21:16 - Mar 28 with 1539 viewspioneer

21 greatest club teams in history on 20:53 - Mar 28 by James1980

I have to make mistakes.

Wasn’t intended to be a criticism of you James. Given the almost total absence of national teams from the list it is easy to think that it’s club teams. I did the same until I noticed the Hungarian team ...and in many ways that was close to being a club team with most of the players being from Honved.
21 greatest club teams in history on 21:24 - Mar 28 with 1515 viewsD_Alien

21 greatest club teams in history on 20:53 - Mar 28 by James1980

I have to make mistakes.

It's a rubbish website James, not your fault

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

21 greatest club teams in history on 21:28 - Mar 28 with 1522 viewsJames1980

21 greatest club teams in history on 21:16 - Mar 28 by pioneer

Wasn’t intended to be a criticism of you James. Given the almost total absence of national teams from the list it is easy to think that it’s club teams. I did the same until I noticed the Hungarian team ...and in many ways that was close to being a club team with most of the players being from Honved.

Sorry cabin fever. I had heard of most the teams but not the one in 3rd place. Just wondered if any other forumees would concur RSB from 91 was worthy of that place

21 greatest club teams in history on 21:44 - Mar 28 with 1502 viewsD_Alien

21 greatest club teams in history on 21:28 - Mar 28 by James1980

Sorry cabin fever. I had heard of most the teams but not the one in 3rd place. Just wondered if any other forumees would concur RSB from 91 was worthy of that place

Not in the top 100

Based on fan votes? Depends who can be arsed, a bit like the polls on here!

21 greatest club teams in history on 22:04 - Mar 28 with 1495 viewsJames1980

21 greatest club teams in history on 21:44 - Mar 28 by D_Alien

Not in the top 100

Based on fan votes? Depends who can be arsed, a bit like the polls on here!

It did seem a strange choice perhaps the survey had lots of Serbian voters

21 greatest club teams in history on 02:21 - Mar 29 with 1413 viewsDiddyDave

Certainly some top sides in that lot,but how far do you want to go back? If Red Star Belgrade are mentioned then surely the great Celtic team of 1967 are a glaring omission. Just saying.
Login to get fewer ads

21 greatest club teams in history on 10:24 - Mar 29 with 1327 viewstodmordendale

The great comradeship of the Wimbledon team of Vinnie, Wise, Sanchez et all must rank up there. The benefit of team spirit and endeavour can sometimes prove meritous over the top dollar assembly of Scheidt, despite their obvious limitations.
21 greatest club teams in history on 14:07 - Mar 29 with 1231 viewsShun

Relating to the OP slightly, what’s the best club side you’ve seen live?

For me it’s the Man United team of roughly 2008 - 2011. Vidic and Ferdinand was IMO the best defensive partnership the Premier League’s ever had. Ronaldo had insane figures, and Rooney and Tevez were in their prime, with old superstars like Giggs and Van Dee Sar still excelling. Add in SAF’s attacking football and their frequent late winners and they were just a great team to watch.
21 greatest club teams in history on 15:55 - Mar 29 with 1179 viewsNigeriamark

21 greatest club teams in history on 22:04 - Mar 28 by James1980

It did seem a strange choice perhaps the survey had lots of Serbian voters

Although not top 3 the Red Star team from about 1988 - 91 were amazing & buried a lot of good teams. They may have won the European cup in 88/89 which was won by Milan. They looked like knocking Milan out but a fog decended, the match was abandoned and Milan got through in the re-arranged game. I think around that time they buried a decent Rangers team ( I had a rangers season ticket 1989-91). Folklore has it Rangers sent someone out to Belgrade to watch Red Star play a couple of league games. They guy apparently came back & said " were Fecked" and indeed they were

Soon after they won it in 91, the Yougoslav wars broke out, the following year they couldn't play any home games.

It was the last year the European Cup was knock out straight from the off. Of course money has determined the need for group stages and more teams but I preferred this days where if you hd an off day you were out. Much more difficult to win it in those days especially numerous times. You can always get away with a slip up in the group stages
21 greatest club teams in history on 17:42 - Mar 29 with 1121 viewsD_Alien

21 greatest club teams in history on 15:55 - Mar 29 by Nigeriamark

Although not top 3 the Red Star team from about 1988 - 91 were amazing & buried a lot of good teams. They may have won the European cup in 88/89 which was won by Milan. They looked like knocking Milan out but a fog decended, the match was abandoned and Milan got through in the re-arranged game. I think around that time they buried a decent Rangers team ( I had a rangers season ticket 1989-91). Folklore has it Rangers sent someone out to Belgrade to watch Red Star play a couple of league games. They guy apparently came back & said " were Fecked" and indeed they were

Soon after they won it in 91, the Yougoslav wars broke out, the following year they couldn't play any home games.

It was the last year the European Cup was knock out straight from the off. Of course money has determined the need for group stages and more teams but I preferred this days where if you hd an off day you were out. Much more difficult to win it in those days especially numerous times. You can always get away with a slip up in the group stages

Interesting perspective from someone who actually saw them play. I don't recall them in any detail - it was during the time of the English club ban in Europe - but there must surely have been some bias in their 3rd placing. Beyond the top 10 or dozen club sides that've emerged since the European Cup first took place, it's difficult to allocate a pecking order. Nottm Forest must surely come into the top 20, as would Celtic as previously mentioned, who also reached the final in 1970 when they were perhaps slightly on the wane

If the purpose of the premier European club tournament is to find the best team, one could argue that the current format is more likely to see the eventual winners in that light, as even the best sides can have an off day, or might travel badly to the more far-flung outposts. Having said that, i doubt anyone would argue that the Real Madrid, Benfica, Man U, Ajax, Bayern, Liverpool & AC Milan sides which emerged were the best of their time

Incidentally, Man U should've won the year after their triumph in 1968 but Denis Law took a penalty which would've seen them through their semi-final, hit the post and knocked home the rebound without it touching another player
[Post edited 29 Mar 2020 17:44]

21 greatest club teams in history on 18:07 - Mar 29 with 1101 views442Dale

Robert Prosinecki who was the most influential player in that Red Star team played for Real Madrid and Barcelona during his career, could have made a difference with a Spanish publication producing the list.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

21 greatest club teams in history on 20:42 - Mar 29 with 1046 viewspioneer

21 greatest club teams in history on 14:07 - Mar 29 by Shun

Relating to the OP slightly, what’s the best club side you’ve seen live?

For me it’s the Man United team of roughly 2008 - 2011. Vidic and Ferdinand was IMO the best defensive partnership the Premier League’s ever had. Ronaldo had insane figures, and Rooney and Tevez were in their prime, with old superstars like Giggs and Van Dee Sar still excelling. Add in SAF’s attacking football and their frequent late winners and they were just a great team to watch.

Three candidates

1 The Don Revie Leeds U team of the early 1970s...on their best days they were untouchable. Saw them beat Southampton 7-0.

2. 2011 Barcelona ....made Man U look like schoolboys in the champions league final.

3. 2007 Man U that thrashed a very good Roma team 7-1 in champions league, and it could have been more.
21 greatest club teams in history on 21:40 - Mar 29 with 1012 viewsD_Alien

21 greatest club teams in history on 20:42 - Mar 29 by pioneer

Three candidates

1 The Don Revie Leeds U team of the early 1970s...on their best days they were untouchable. Saw them beat Southampton 7-0.

2. 2011 Barcelona ....made Man U look like schoolboys in the champions league final.

3. 2007 Man U that thrashed a very good Roma team 7-1 in champions league, and it could have been more.

That's three great games to have been at

In response to Shun's call, i'll throw in a wildcard. The Spurs team that we took to a replay at Wembley. Pochettino had them on the verge of greatness and made the Champions League final after an, if anything, even more impressive win in the semis than Liverpool's against Barcelona. The investment wasn't there though, to take them forward

I'm sure there's been better teams but if the criterion is having seen them play, that's my call. A great reflection on Dale too, at least for the first 135 minutes

[Post edited 29 Mar 2020 21:43]

21 greatest club teams in history on 00:24 - Mar 30 with 970 viewsdownunder

Bill Nicholson's Spur's team was another that that changed the way the game was played IMHO.
21 greatest club teams in history on 09:11 - Mar 30 with 896 viewsmingthemerciless

21 greatest club teams in history on 00:24 - Mar 30 by downunder

Bill Nicholson's Spur's team was another that that changed the way the game was played IMHO.

The Spurs team you refer to that did the double in the early 1960's deserves to be in that list.
21 greatest club teams in history on 09:29 - Mar 30 with 884 viewsAtThePeake

21 greatest club teams in history on 21:40 - Mar 29 by D_Alien

That's three great games to have been at

In response to Shun's call, i'll throw in a wildcard. The Spurs team that we took to a replay at Wembley. Pochettino had them on the verge of greatness and made the Champions League final after an, if anything, even more impressive win in the semis than Liverpool's against Barcelona. The investment wasn't there though, to take them forward

I'm sure there's been better teams but if the criterion is having seen them play, that's my call. A great reflection on Dale too, at least for the first 135 minutes

[Post edited 29 Mar 2020 21:43]

The season before the Dale vs Spurs tie, the last at WHL, we were unstoppable at times. A crying shame that we never won a trophy with that side. Every time I went to see Spurs that season I fully expected us to win 3 or 4-0... this season I've gone into most games thinking "I'll take a draw..."

Tangled up in blue.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024