Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
keeping the season alive 06:27 - Apr 2 with 6840 viewsfrenzied

My best effort would be to complete this season even if this meant nov end.

Then break
start jan ..short season play each team only once.
Relegated teams are placed at top of league ..promoted teams at bottom..rest of table stays where it ended.
The random draw to determine which teams yo play at home or away..but done so that you play as many home games against sides in top half as those in bottom..altho numbers are odd..ie 23 games.

Points system could stay as is or go to 6 points for a win ..2 for a draw
keeping the season alive on 10:23 - Apr 2 with 4105 viewsD_Alien

I like it, and it certainly passes the "creative thinking" test i've advocated, but which I doubt the football authorities have the ability to produce

A couple of further variations: 4pts for away win, 3pts for home win, 2pts for away draw, 1pt for home draw; and,

11 games each home & away, plus 1 game at a neutral venue but with a neighbouring club at a separate neighbouring venue. Thus, we could play Wigan (if relegated) at Bolton

(It'd be worth Bolton miraculously surviving the drop to play them at Gigg Lane!)

[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 10:25]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

keeping the season alive on 12:13 - Apr 2 with 4052 viewselectricblue

I dont agree with this season being completed at all..
The way i see it there are two ways for the current season to end.
End the season now with a possible restart aug/sept and evenly distribute monies for each team in their respective league and the FA should put in extra revenue.
Or
Finish the season as it stands with what ever position each club is in but scrap the play offs.....

It is roughly 6mths between now n the new season that is possibly enough time to start again......

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

keeping the season alive on 12:31 - Apr 2 with 4026 views49thseason

So if clubs are stuggling having lost a quarter of the season, how are they expected to manage on half a season? Most of the usual overheads will still need to be paid from half the number of home games.
The best solution still looks like calling the end to the current season now and starting 20/21 as soon as possible to August 1st. Promotions and relegations can either be decided on points per game actually played or all clubs simply stay where they are and go again in August or thereabouts. When the new season does start, clubs will be keen to play as many games as possible for the revenue if nothing else.
keeping the season alive on 12:43 - Apr 2 with 4013 viewsMancDale

This season has to be completed one way or the other. It's the only fair and reasonable solution.

Calling this one null and void just means theres a strong possibility we end up with two successive seasons that don't get finished.
keeping the season alive on 13:17 - Apr 2 with 3971 views49thseason

keeping the season alive on 12:43 - Apr 2 by MancDale

This season has to be completed one way or the other. It's the only fair and reasonable solution.

Calling this one null and void just means theres a strong possibility we end up with two successive seasons that don't get finished.

So why would 20/21 not get finished?
The problem with trying to finish this season is that no one knows when it might be possible. Even if it could be re-started before 1st of July, you run into problems with players contracts and the probable need for some sort of period of pre-restart training period. This in turn causes problems for 20/21 with the usual difficulties of 2 games a week , pitch refurbishment, transfer windows etc. if doesnt start in August as usual.
Its all a bit academic until we find out when the social distancing can end. The longer it goes on, the less chance there is of finishing 19/20, better to call an end to it as is and ensure 20/21 has a chance of starting on time in August.
keeping the season alive on 13:23 - Apr 2 with 3957 viewsD_Alien

keeping the season alive on 13:17 - Apr 2 by 49thseason

The problem with trying to finish this season is that no one knows when it might be possible. Even if it could be re-started before 1st of July, you run into problems with players contracts and the probable need for some sort of period of pre-restart training period. This in turn causes problems for 20/21 with the usual difficulties of 2 games a week , pitch refurbishment, transfer windows etc. if doesnt start in August as usual.
Its all a bit academic until we find out when the social distancing can end. The longer it goes on, the less chance there is of finishing 19/20, better to call an end to it as is and ensure 20/21 has a chance of starting on time in August.

If this season is abandoned, the integrity of football as a meaningful competition might as well be flung into the nearest dustbin - it really is that important

I'm sick to death of hearing the "player contracts" excuse trotted out. Let them adapt, the poor dears, and take a huge pay cut whilst they're at it - and i don't just mean the elite either

keeping the season alive on 13:27 - Apr 2 with 3945 views442Dale

20/21 wouldn’t be certain to start in August anyway. Just play again when it’s possible, it’s not a priority now. The issues are around contracts both players and sponsors, so they need to sort that and then finish the season.

If this one is finished by autumn and a new one starts January then that would be a real positive as it will illustrate things have improved worldwide. Fact is, it needs a global approach because if England cease the season and other countries want to finish, what then with transfer windows and competitions like the Champions League?

It’s certainly not a decision that needs to be made now, more important things.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

keeping the season alive on 13:33 - Apr 2 with 3933 viewsMancDale

It doesn't seem like the current social distancing will be a one off. If there's a second outbreak then obviously next season will be affected. That gives us the possibility of it not being finished. Of course this is guess work and no one really knows for sure.
Login to get fewer ads

keeping the season alive on 13:36 - Apr 2 with 3929 viewsdale1968

In the grand scheme of things football is totally irellevent right now.
I am sure life is much more important than Promotion or Relegation?
Just scrap the whole lot and aim for a Start in August or even later if neccessary.

Poll: Should The Military Assist The Police Over Covid Compliance.

keeping the season alive on 13:42 - Apr 2 with 3913 viewsD_Alien

keeping the season alive on 13:36 - Apr 2 by dale1968

In the grand scheme of things football is totally irellevent right now.
I am sure life is much more important than Promotion or Relegation?
Just scrap the whole lot and aim for a Start in August or even later if neccessary.

Of course it's irrelevant compared with current circumstances, but that makes integrity and a reset in values (like football salaries) all the more important, as a strong signal that it needs to know it's place

keeping the season alive on 14:04 - Apr 2 with 3890 viewsDaleiLama

keeping the season alive on 13:42 - Apr 2 by D_Alien

Of course it's irrelevant compared with current circumstances, but that makes integrity and a reset in values (like football salaries) all the more important, as a strong signal that it needs to know it's place

Don't get me started on salaries.

Nursing pay scale - entry level £18k/p.a. for which, as I understand it, you need to study for 3 years to get a degree.

https://www.nurses.co.uk/careers-hub/nursing-pay-guide/#nhs-pay-table-agenda-for

De Gea earning £375k/wk

https://www.givemesport.com/1537533-the-premier-leagues-three-highest-earning-pl

Footballers have to train. I don't know how many hours/week, but I'm guessing it won't be as many hours as nurses work.

What do we expect in return?

A footballer might entertain us for 180 minutes a week during a busy schedule.

For the same money as DDG gets in a week, nearly 21 nurses a year could be employed and we expect them to save lives daily and to go into work at times like this, many with inadequate protection and to risk their lives. Their annual salary can be as low as 5% of the top paid players weekly wage. To risk their lives, like the 50 year old nurse who died yesterday. Then football clubs furlough non-playing staff and PL players especially keep coining it in. It stinks to high heaven the lot of it. Shame on them.

Pioneer mentioned the baseball strike the other day. Footie players salaries are well overdue a massive reset.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

keeping the season alive on 15:21 - Apr 2 with 3822 viewsKenBoon

keeping the season alive on 14:04 - Apr 2 by DaleiLama

Don't get me started on salaries.

Nursing pay scale - entry level £18k/p.a. for which, as I understand it, you need to study for 3 years to get a degree.

https://www.nurses.co.uk/careers-hub/nursing-pay-guide/#nhs-pay-table-agenda-for

De Gea earning £375k/wk

https://www.givemesport.com/1537533-the-premier-leagues-three-highest-earning-pl

Footballers have to train. I don't know how many hours/week, but I'm guessing it won't be as many hours as nurses work.

What do we expect in return?

A footballer might entertain us for 180 minutes a week during a busy schedule.

For the same money as DDG gets in a week, nearly 21 nurses a year could be employed and we expect them to save lives daily and to go into work at times like this, many with inadequate protection and to risk their lives. Their annual salary can be as low as 5% of the top paid players weekly wage. To risk their lives, like the 50 year old nurse who died yesterday. Then football clubs furlough non-playing staff and PL players especially keep coining it in. It stinks to high heaven the lot of it. Shame on them.

Pioneer mentioned the baseball strike the other day. Footie players salaries are well overdue a massive reset.

Reset by who? They're paid by private companies. There is no comparison to be made between top-level professional footballers (who probably generate more money than most Hollywood actors) and Nurses. It is possible to support Nurses without ragging down on others.

The idea that chopping players and managers salaries will make the game more affordable for fans is wildly misplaced. Clubs will charge what fans are willing to pay. If Manc United decide to pay all their players £5k a month (a very good salary!) all the millions they generate will still be generated because people are willing to pay it, it'd just go into someone else's pocket.

Why should any professional be ashamed of earning money legally (footballers pay tax!) that people are willing to pay them? Personally i'd rather some local pleb i'd gone to school with became a millionaire than it end up in the tax dodging pockets of some trading chinless wonder.
keeping the season alive on 15:40 - Apr 2 with 3794 viewsDaleiLama

keeping the season alive on 15:21 - Apr 2 by KenBoon

Reset by who? They're paid by private companies. There is no comparison to be made between top-level professional footballers (who probably generate more money than most Hollywood actors) and Nurses. It is possible to support Nurses without ragging down on others.

The idea that chopping players and managers salaries will make the game more affordable for fans is wildly misplaced. Clubs will charge what fans are willing to pay. If Manc United decide to pay all their players £5k a month (a very good salary!) all the millions they generate will still be generated because people are willing to pay it, it'd just go into someone else's pocket.

Why should any professional be ashamed of earning money legally (footballers pay tax!) that people are willing to pay them? Personally i'd rather some local pleb i'd gone to school with became a millionaire than it end up in the tax dodging pockets of some trading chinless wonder.

Have you seen how much the chancellor has just committed to paying out? And that close to a million have just claimed Universal Credit in a week? And all over the world, highly paid sports stars are giving money to fight Covid-19? You would have thought that our PL stars may just say (like Messi has for example) I'll take 30% of my salary (or none in some cases) and let the clubs spend the money on paying staff so they don't add to the list of folk claiming money off the govt, which may then use it more usefully to fight this virus? And up with a smaller tax burden for us all at the end of all this? It's not like the players are even earning the money at the moment!

Some sports stars in the US are pledging $5m of their own money to support people who are a whole lot less fortunate than themselves and are suffering with no income.

keeping the season alive on 16:04 - Apr 2 with 3750 viewsKenBoon

keeping the season alive on 15:40 - Apr 2 by DaleiLama

Have you seen how much the chancellor has just committed to paying out? And that close to a million have just claimed Universal Credit in a week? And all over the world, highly paid sports stars are giving money to fight Covid-19? You would have thought that our PL stars may just say (like Messi has for example) I'll take 30% of my salary (or none in some cases) and let the clubs spend the money on paying staff so they don't add to the list of folk claiming money off the govt, which may then use it more usefully to fight this virus? And up with a smaller tax burden for us all at the end of all this? It's not like the players are even earning the money at the moment!

Some sports stars in the US are pledging $5m of their own money to support people who are a whole lot less fortunate than themselves and are suffering with no income.

Tbf I think many of them are doing this and I am sure as time goes by more and more will. Barcelona doing it at club level should push it onto most the big clubs. The big footballers and professional athletes in general are very good when it comes to charity work, not all of them advertise it though.
keeping the season alive on 16:05 - Apr 2 with 3743 viewsNigeriamark

keeping the season alive on 15:40 - Apr 2 by DaleiLama

Deffo something up with our premier league players. Spurs non- playing staff have to take 20% cut and the players don't !! Who can afford it most?
keeping the season alive on 17:10 - Apr 2 with 3687 viewsDaleiLama

keeping the season alive on 16:04 - Apr 2 by KenBoon

Tbf I think many of them are doing this and I am sure as time goes by more and more will. Barcelona doing it at club level should push it onto most the big clubs. The big footballers and professional athletes in general are very good when it comes to charity work, not all of them advertise it though.

Fair play - it does appear the PL will address this but seems more reactive than proactive. Better late than never I guess

keeping the season alive on 17:51 - Apr 2 with 3650 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

Belgian league season scrapped, Bruges declared champions.
keeping the season alive on 18:31 - Apr 2 with 3605 viewsrochdaleriddler

Brentford paying all players max £5k a week

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

keeping the season alive on 19:37 - Apr 2 with 3555 viewsKenBoon

keeping the season alive on 17:51 - Apr 2 by Plattyswrinklynuts

Belgian league season scrapped, Bruges declared champions.

With them cancelling Wimbledon tennis it looks like no Football will happen until mid July at the earliest, which is usually when players return for pre-season training. With the Euros and Olympics now in the summer of 2021, I don't see how this season can be finished and another one started before then. They could finish the Champions League and stuff as a mini-summer tournament, but regular seasons just are not happening.
keeping the season alive on 19:55 - Apr 2 with 3537 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

keeping the season alive on 19:37 - Apr 2 by KenBoon

With them cancelling Wimbledon tennis it looks like no Football will happen until mid July at the earliest, which is usually when players return for pre-season training. With the Euros and Olympics now in the summer of 2021, I don't see how this season can be finished and another one started before then. They could finish the Champions League and stuff as a mini-summer tournament, but regular seasons just are not happening.

Agreed, think this could be first of many.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 19:56]
keeping the season alive on 21:50 - Apr 2 with 3453 viewskiwidale

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52142267

Premier League footballers should "take a pay cut and play their part" during the coronavirus pandemic, says health secretary Matt Hancock.

How much is Matt Hancock still on?

Hypocrisy.

This is not the time for bickering.

keeping the season alive on 23:43 - Apr 2 with 3383 viewsShun

keeping the season alive on 21:50 - Apr 2 by kiwidale

Premier League footballers should "take a pay cut and play their part" during the coronavirus pandemic, says health secretary Matt Hancock.

Hypocrisy.

I don’t imagine he’ll be on hundreds of thousands a week.
keeping the season alive on 01:06 - Apr 3 with 3371 viewsThacks_Rabbits

keeping the season alive on 23:43 - Apr 2 by Shun

I don’t imagine he’ll be on hundreds of thousands a week.

Think MP salary is around 110k a year roughly, or 2 days of a lazy french arrogant prick doing nothing other than dabbing and tweeting.

Having said that it is their choice if they want to take a wage cut, many have voluntarily, levy at Spurs though has cocked up, he is claiming government assistance for 550 staff I believe, call it 500 at 20k a year (high end), that’s 8 million a year off the government based on 80% rules.

I expect the spurs players to take pay cuts assuming this claim is cancelled, well I hope so!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

keeping the season alive on 09:27 - Apr 3 with 3291 viewsDalenet

keeping the season alive on 21:50 - Apr 2 by kiwidale

Hypocrisy.

Personally I think he is doing a good job. Yes lessons will be learned and we should have done more to secure supplies back in January. But of all the politicians that have stood up and faced the public Matt Hancock has appeared to be the most genuine and very empathetic. He is trying to do the right thing. He is under enormous stress right now (I thought he looked like he was about to break at the press conference yesterday) and you have no right to criticise him (especially if you don't pay taxes that fund him)

As for football and morals. The players can't really do anything individually beyond donating their pay to charity. It has to be a Premier League wide initiative. I would favour a 75% cut for all professional players in all leagues for 3 months (subject to all earning £2500 pm in accordance with Govt schemes) and a stipulation that all clubs only apply for furlough if they can't cover their other staff costs from the savings from the players wages. That would preserve the moral integrity and the drain on the public purse. But I would also like to see all clubs cut the pay of directors, managers and non playing staff too (subject to the £2500 pm rule) so that everybody at a club shares the pain.
keeping the season alive on 13:43 - Apr 3 with 3223 viewsKenBoon

Since players are paid by private companies and on PAYE, if they take a pay cut then doesn't that generate less income tax and therefore cost the state? I don't understand the thinking here. I'd want them to still be paying their tax. I've never quite liked how footballers (generally from working class families and tax paying) are the first to get the overpaid abuse. Top players and merchandise sellers like Ronaldo are probably underpaid. I read somewhere that Ronaldo had earned Juventus their investment back in just a few months and that's before his benefit to the team.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024