Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Norman Hunter 14:24 - Apr 10 with 5202 viewselectricblue

Hard man Norman Hunter is currently in hospital with Covid-19..
Norman Hunter was one of my childhood heros..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52244115

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Norman Hunter on 17:54 - Apr 10 with 4209 viewsSuddenLad

There's a player. Fantastic, totally committed player in a very good Leeds United side. Probably wouldn't last 90 minutes in today's set up, but he was a joy to watch.

Get better soon, Norman.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Norman Hunter on 19:12 - Apr 10 with 4154 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Norman Hunter on 17:54 - Apr 10 by SuddenLad

There's a player. Fantastic, totally committed player in a very good Leeds United side. Probably wouldn't last 90 minutes in today's set up, but he was a joy to watch.

Get better soon, Norman.

90 or 9 minutes sudden!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Norman Hunter on 11:26 - Apr 11 with 4073 viewsFrog

Wasn't such a hard man when Franny Lee knocked him on his arse after he'd thumped Lee from the blind side.
Norman Hunter on 14:07 - Apr 11 with 4031 viewsjonesy

Norman Hunter on 11:26 - Apr 11 by Frog

Wasn't such a hard man when Franny Lee knocked him on his arse after he'd thumped Lee from the blind side.

Had to look! Hated Leeds.

Norman Hunter on 17:35 - Apr 11 with 3896 viewsDiddyDave

Norman Hunter on 14:07 - Apr 11 by jonesy

Had to look! Hated Leeds.

Ditto mate,I used to love it when the "Dirty Leeds" chant went up around the various grounds wherever they were playing. They had some great players as well though,must admit that.
Norman Hunter on 21:36 - Apr 11 with 3798 viewskiwidale

Norman Hunter on 11:26 - Apr 11 by Frog

Brian Clough was right that Leeds side were cheats as well as thugs Don Revie set the example he was the biggest cheat he bribed opposition players even whole teams to under perform. The late Gary Sprake exposed him and Leeds fans hate Sprake to this day for exposing the corruption.

This is not the time for bickering.

Norman Hunter on 06:37 - Apr 12 with 3715 viewsDiddyDave

Leeds were the first team to have a great galoot (Jackie Charlton) stand in front of the opposition goalkeeper at corners. Only there of course to try to block the goalie from coming of his line to catch the cross. There used to be all sorts of fracas going on,the refs not sure what to do,then everybody else started doing it,so it became part of the game.
Norman Hunter on 07:36 - Apr 12 with 3704 viewsdavidab2202

Brings back the memory of going to Hampden Park 50 years ago this week to watch the Celtic v Leeds European Cup semi final.As someone who had attended Dale for years at that stage with our attendances to be part of a crowd of over 135000 was totally unbelievable.
Login to get fewer ads

Norman Hunter on 14:46 - Apr 12 with 3564 viewskiwidale

Norman Hunter on 06:37 - Apr 12 by DiddyDave

Leeds were the first team to have a great galoot (Jackie Charlton) stand in front of the opposition goalkeeper at corners. Only there of course to try to block the goalie from coming of his line to catch the cross. There used to be all sorts of fracas going on,the refs not sure what to do,then everybody else started doing it,so it became part of the game.

From memory we scored a few from that tactic 69/71 Joe Ashworth was quite adept at the near post back header.

Norman Hunter on 07:48 - Apr 14 with 3362 viewsEllDale

I seem to remember Doug Collins employing the same tactic using Bob Scott standing on the line from Eric Snookes' inswinging corners.
Norman Hunter on 08:25 - Apr 14 with 3335 viewspioneer

Norman Hunter on 07:48 - Apr 14 by EllDale

I seem to remember Doug Collins employing the same tactic using Bob Scott standing on the line from Eric Snookes' inswinging corners.

He would have been better having Bob Scott stood in the sandy lane end with the crowd!
Norman Hunter on 09:08 - Apr 14 with 3293 viewsBigDaveMyCock

As I was only a very wee pup at the time, I’ve been reading a bit about Hunter and that Leeds team. Two things I wasn’t aware of. I didn’t know Leeds got to the European Cup final in 75. The important one, however, was the extent of the match fixing allegations against Revie!! He was a bit of a wrong un. The latter has certainly been airbrushed from a lot of the history books.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Norman Hunter on 09:28 - Apr 14 with 3282 viewsEllDale

One of the main allegations concerned a game at Bury. Bob Stokoe was Bury player/manager at the time.
Norman Hunter on 11:14 - Apr 17 with 3035 viewsjudd

Sadly passed away now, has Norman.

RIP

Poll: What is it to be then?

Norman Hunter on 11:25 - Apr 17 with 3023 viewsEllDale

More than just a hardman, he had an exquisite left foot.
Would have played dozens more times for England but for the presence of Bobby Moore.
RIP
Norman Hunter on 11:53 - Apr 17 with 2986 viewsmingthemerciless

Norman Hunter on 11:25 - Apr 17 by EllDale

More than just a hardman, he had an exquisite left foot.
Would have played dozens more times for England but for the presence of Bobby Moore.
RIP

Yes that's right. He was a much better footballer than people give him credit for.

Regarding Leeds being involved in match fixing Gary Sprake, who was the Leeds Goalkeeper at the time said they were.

I find it ironic that given their reputation they were definitely on the receiving of a bent referee in their European Cup Final.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2020 11:57]
Norman Hunter on 12:08 - Apr 17 with 2967 viewsEllDale

And in the 1973 Cup-Winners Cup Final against an Italian team.
Hunter was sent off in the closing minutes of that game by a referee who was later banned bu UEFA.
Norman Hunter on 17:25 - Apr 17 with 2855 viewssince58

My daughter was a dental nurse in Rawdon, and treated Norman at the
practice where she worked for a number of years ,she said he was a really
funny and genuinely nice guy.
R.I.P.
Norman.
God bless.
Norman Hunter on 01:09 - Apr 18 with 2758 viewskiwidale

Norman Hunter on 11:53 - Apr 17 by mingthemerciless

Yes that's right. He was a much better footballer than people give him credit for.

Regarding Leeds being involved in match fixing Gary Sprake, who was the Leeds Goalkeeper at the time said they were.

I find it ironic that given their reputation they were definitely on the receiving of a bent referee in their European Cup Final.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2020 11:57]

RIP Norman Hunter a great player for England.

Talking about match fixing and bent refs. Nottingham forest were royally shafted by the ref and Anderlechts chairman 1984 they were found guilty and still got away with it.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/dec/11/nottingham-forest-anderlec
[Post edited 18 Apr 2020 1:12]

Norman Hunter on 11:31 - Apr 19 with 2641 viewsmingthemerciless

Norman Hunter on 01:09 - Apr 18 by kiwidale

RIP Norman Hunter a great player for England.

Talking about match fixing and bent refs. Nottingham forest were royally shafted by the ref and Anderlechts chairman 1984 they were found guilty and still got away with it.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/dec/11/nottingham-forest-anderlec
[Post edited 18 Apr 2020 1:12]

I think things like that went on in the past more than we'd like to admit.
Norman Hunter on 12:33 - Apr 22 with 2509 viewsEllDale

With the death of Hunter there's been a lot of talk about the hardmen who existed around this time and before.
As well as Hunter there were the likes of Tommy Smith and Ron Harris.
But have Dale ever had an "enforcer"? Someone who made you wince with their tackling at times. And I don't mean Guy Branston!
I can't remember either Colin Parry or Joe Ashworth dishing it out although they made their presence felt.
Norman Hunter on 13:30 - Apr 22 with 2482 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

Norman Hunter on 12:33 - Apr 22 by EllDale

With the death of Hunter there's been a lot of talk about the hardmen who existed around this time and before.
As well as Hunter there were the likes of Tommy Smith and Ron Harris.
But have Dale ever had an "enforcer"? Someone who made you wince with their tackling at times. And I don't mean Guy Branston!
I can't remember either Colin Parry or Joe Ashworth dishing it out although they made their presence felt.

I remember Shaun Reid used to put himself about regularly, & not just in Dukes upstairs bar!
Norman Hunter on 13:38 - Apr 22 with 2475 viewspioneer

hughie riley was a tough one...nearest I have seen for dale in the ‘bites your legs’ sense
Norman Hunter on 18:05 - Apr 22 with 2375 viewsmingthemerciless

Norman Hunter on 13:38 - Apr 22 by pioneer

hughie riley was a tough one...nearest I have seen for dale in the ‘bites your legs’ sense

Hughie Riley "The Baby Faced Assassin ". When I was watching the 'Dale had several who could look after themselves but I can't think of any really nasty bastards.
Norman Hunter on 18:33 - Apr 22 with 2355 viewselectricblue

Animal used to get a few challenges in........
Hence the nick name...

I always remember Lee Mcevily dropping that defender with that shoulder charge in the front of the Sandy before burying it into the far corner..

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024