Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Managers with the most games 18:27 - Apr 18 with 2234 viewsdavidab2202

A list of Managers with the most games in charge in today's D MAIL.
Interesting that 2 managers on the list have managed Dale and in my opinion were perhaps 2 of the worst that I can remember in near 70 years of following the Dale.
Alan Buckley and John Coleman
Any Thoughts
Managers with the most games on 20:01 - Apr 18 with 2172 viewsBartRowou

Why were you reading the Daily Mail?

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Managers with the most games on 21:47 - Apr 18 with 2101 viewsdavidab2202

Managers with the most games on 20:01 - Apr 18 by BartRowou

My choice
Managers with the most games on 00:02 - Apr 19 with 2046 viewspioneer

Managers with the most games on 20:01 - Apr 18 by BartRowou

Dont you know theres a bog roll crisis?
Managers with the most games on 03:31 - Apr 19 with 2002 viewsD_Alien

The OP poses an interesting question, and deserves a better response than its received so far

Looking back at those managers who've managed to achieve any success at all at Dale, even if that just meant keeping us out of the bottom four of the old Div Four, they were all just starting to cut their teeth in the role

One can think of Catterick, Tony Collins, Stokoe (first time round), Richley, Doug Collins, Madden, Bergara, Sutton, Parkin (first time round) and of course Hill

Buckley and Coleman were already 'proven' and seasoned campaigners. So maybe the lesson for future appointments by the Dale board is, the role needs someone looking to make a name for themselves! You won't always get it right (Joyce and Eyre being the most glaring examples) but that's not a bad success rate, all told. I suppose the exception is the re-appointment of Hill, although he still had something to prove at the time

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Managers with the most games on 04:27 - Apr 19 with 1975 viewspioneer

Might take Stokoe out of the list- he had six years experience managing Bury and Charlton before his first spell at Dale. Catterick had three years as boss of Crewe before taking the reins at Spotland.
Managers with the most games on 10:57 - Apr 19 with 1902 viewsD_Alien

Managers with the most games on 04:27 - Apr 19 by pioneer

Might take Stokoe out of the list- he had six years experience managing Bury and Charlton before his first spell at Dale. Catterick had three years as boss of Crewe before taking the reins at Spotland.

Yes, agree about Stokoe in retrospect, but Catterick still probably relatively unproven although before my time

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Managers with the most games on 14:44 - Apr 19 with 1826 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Was Buckley’s reign that terrible. We were comfortably out of the bottom four when he got fired. It wasn’t good, but did he have many resources to really do a good job?

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Managers with the most games on 16:03 - Apr 19 with 1798 views442Dale

Managers with the most games on 14:44 - Apr 19 by foreverhopefulDale

Was Buckley’s reign that terrible. We were comfortably out of the bottom four when he got fired. It wasn’t good, but did he have many resources to really do a good job?

We were out of the bottom four on goal difference, though it was the bottoms two that went down - 5 points clear of that. Buckley’s teams were uninspiring and had no identity, definitely the right choice to bring Parkin back although we didn’t really improve that much in terms of results during that season. The worst thing about that era was the apathy.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Login to get fewer ads

Managers with the most games on 17:03 - Apr 19 with 1765 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Managers with the most games on 16:03 - Apr 19 by 442Dale

We were out of the bottom four on goal difference, though it was the bottoms two that went down - 5 points clear of that. Buckley’s teams were uninspiring and had no identity, definitely the right choice to bring Parkin back although we didn’t really improve that much in terms of results during that season. The worst thing about that era was the apathy.

Fair enough. Yes the football was not very good at all, either in performances or results. I am trying to remember though, had he been given much chance to improve the squad?

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Managers with the most games on 19:44 - Apr 19 with 1703 views1949er

Vic Halom,Jimmy Greenoff, Eddie Gray, Mick Docherty

Poll: Where will we finish this season?

Managers with the most games on 07:48 - Apr 20 with 1578 viewsEllDale

I think that there were a lot of players under contract when Buckley took over so he didn't sign so many.
Sean McClare and Leo Bertos both arrived with Barnsley connections so perhaps Tony Ford might have recommended them.
The one signing who was definitely down to Buckley that I can remember was Daryl Burgess and I have no complaints about that one.
Didn't Buckley miss the first couple of weeks of pre-season training as he had a prebooked holiday? And then didn't always attend for the first part of the week?
You hear so many stories. I know that Burgess trained a couple of days with Walsall at one stage.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024