Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
23rd April, St George’s Day 09:54 - Apr 23 with 3585 viewsjonesy

No mention anywhere!

My usual moan about this effing country!
23rd April, St George’s Day on 11:07 - Apr 24 with 1036 viewsjonesy

23rd April, St George’s Day on 07:17 - Apr 24 by Rochdale_Rangar

Yes one of the celebrations of one of the major world religions with billions of followers. Only little countries celebrate shitty patron saint days anyway. Why sweat the small stuff.

I’d rather support a fictional patron saint and my country than a fictional god who is used to control people’s lives.
23rd April, St George’s Day on 12:21 - Apr 24 with 991 viewsBigDaveMyCock

23rd April, St George’s Day on 11:07 - Apr 24 by jonesy

I’d rather support a fictional patron saint and my country than a fictional god who is used to control people’s lives.

It is possible to support your country without supporting a fictional patron saint. The two are not interdependent you know. It’s also possible to support your country without being disrespectful about people’s religion (whichever one that may be). It’s also possible to support your country without making a big song and dance about it.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

23rd April, St George’s Day on 12:45 - Apr 24 with 966 viewsjudd

23rd April, St George’s Day on 12:21 - Apr 24 by BigDaveMyCock

It is possible to support your country without supporting a fictional patron saint. The two are not interdependent you know. It’s also possible to support your country without being disrespectful about people’s religion (whichever one that may be). It’s also possible to support your country without making a big song and dance about it.

I thought we was out of Eurovision, ffs?

Poll: What is it to be then?

23rd April, St George’s Day on 12:48 - Apr 24 with 962 viewskiwidale

23rd April, St George’s Day on 11:05 - Apr 24 by jonesy

It wasn’t just Aussies and Kiwis who died at Gallipoli. My Grandad died there when just a young lad.

I mean no disrespect to your Granddad Jonesy or any soldier for that matter on any side of the conflict they are all part of the great fallen every one of them a tragic loss of life.. British and French troops landed at Gallipoli the British (and later French) forces made the main landing at Cape Helles on the southern tip of Gallipoli, while the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) landed midway up the peninsula slap bang in the middle of the most fortified part of the Dardanelles strait The 1st Australian Division spearheaded the attack, with the first wave of troops landing before dawn. They came ashore about 2 km north of the intended landing site in a narrow bay (later known as Anzac Cove) just south of the Ari Burnu headland. Sent 2 km north of their intended landing place this was one of the worst places on that stretch of coast to make a landing the surrounding landscape was steep and broken by deep gullies. As the troops tried to get off the beach units got hopelessly lost amidst the rugged terrain. Only a few small, uncoordinated parties managed to reach the initial objective, Gun Ridge. They encountered determined Ottoman forces in the rugged country above the beach unable to make any significant advance the Anzacs spent the next few days desperately holding onto their small beachhead.

British and Irish casualties were 21,255 dead, 52,230 wounded. 1914 Population 43 million
France suffered 10,000 dead and 17,000 wounded. 1914 population 40 million
Australia suffered 8709 died and 19441 wounded. 1914 Population 4.9 million
New Zealand suffered 2779 dead and 5212 wounded. 1914 population 1 million.

per Capita the loss of New Zealand and Australian lives was staggering, the campaign was an unmitigated disaster it achieved absolutely nothing.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2020 13:01]

This is not the time for bickering.

23rd April, St George’s Day on 13:00 - Apr 24 with 936 viewsBigDaveMyCock

23rd April, St George’s Day on 12:45 - Apr 24 by judd

I thought we was out of Eurovision, ffs?

Bollox, I‘ve just thought of Bucks Fizz. And I was hoping to hold out until 5pm n’all.

This heat doesn’t half inflame my Cheryl Baker obsession.

23rd April, St George’s Day on 13:09 - Apr 24 with 922 viewspioneer

23rd April, St George’s Day on 09:15 - Apr 24 by kiwidale

I never remember celebrating St Georges day or feel the need to but I respect the Irish, Welsh and Scots right to celebrate their national day. I feel the most patriotic on remembrance Sunday when all Brits come together likewise when Aussies and Kiwi come together on Anzac day to remember the Gallipoli landing on the Dardanelles Straite. By the way Anzac day is this coming Monday 27th April.

Anzac Day is April 25th...but I guess in NZ they are having a public holiday on Monday 27th in lieu of it falling on the weekend. In parts of Australia they are not having a day in lieu, so one less public holiday this year. And folks are not allowed to attend the traditional dawn services ...except of the dignitaries who are still attending. So much for ‘we are all in this together’.
23rd April, St George’s Day on 13:34 - Apr 24 with 892 viewsjonesy

23rd April, St George’s Day on 12:48 - Apr 24 by kiwidale

I mean no disrespect to your Granddad Jonesy or any soldier for that matter on any side of the conflict they are all part of the great fallen every one of them a tragic loss of life.. British and French troops landed at Gallipoli the British (and later French) forces made the main landing at Cape Helles on the southern tip of Gallipoli, while the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) landed midway up the peninsula slap bang in the middle of the most fortified part of the Dardanelles strait The 1st Australian Division spearheaded the attack, with the first wave of troops landing before dawn. They came ashore about 2 km north of the intended landing site in a narrow bay (later known as Anzac Cove) just south of the Ari Burnu headland. Sent 2 km north of their intended landing place this was one of the worst places on that stretch of coast to make a landing the surrounding landscape was steep and broken by deep gullies. As the troops tried to get off the beach units got hopelessly lost amidst the rugged terrain. Only a few small, uncoordinated parties managed to reach the initial objective, Gun Ridge. They encountered determined Ottoman forces in the rugged country above the beach unable to make any significant advance the Anzacs spent the next few days desperately holding onto their small beachhead.

British and Irish casualties were 21,255 dead, 52,230 wounded. 1914 Population 43 million

per Capita the loss of New Zealand and Australian lives was staggering, the campaign was an unmitigated disaster it achieved absolutely nothing.

Wasn’t Churchill involved?
23rd April, St George’s Day on 13:44 - Apr 24 with 869 viewsBigDaveMyCock

23rd April, St George’s Day on 06:56 - Apr 24 by RAFCBLUE

Good to see social distancing being observed there.

It's pillocks like Lloyd that are putting the lives of frontline NHS workers and their families at risk.

No need for a PR opportunity at this time.

No need to break all the rules most are managing to live to.

Look at these fooking idiots n’all. It beggars belief. I know Liebour weren’t about then but I bet it was still their fault!!

[Post edited 24 Apr 2020 13:48]

Login to get fewer ads

23rd April, St George’s Day on 15:22 - Apr 24 with 802 viewsArthurDaley

23rd April, St George’s Day on 13:00 - Apr 24 by BigDaveMyCock

Bollox, I‘ve just thought of Bucks Fizz. And I was hoping to hold out until 5pm n’all.

This heat doesn’t half inflame my Cheryl Baker obsession.

Here you are Big Dave just for you.

A large VAT Dave

23rd April, St George’s Day on 15:25 - Apr 24 with 796 viewsBigDaveMyCock

23rd April, St George’s Day on 15:22 - Apr 24 by ArthurDaley

Here you are Big Dave just for you.

Phooowaaaaarrrrrrr

She’s made my mind up.

23rd April, St George’s Day on 21:33 - Apr 24 with 696 viewsrochdaleriddler

23rd April, St George’s Day on 06:56 - Apr 24 by RAFCBLUE

Good to see social distancing being observed there.

It's pillocks like Lloyd that are putting the lives of frontline NHS workers and their families at risk.

No need for a PR opportunity at this time.

No need to break all the rules most are managing to live to.

He has just come out of intensive care you warker, the real one not like Boris . Wtf are you on about

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

23rd April, St George’s Day on 21:36 - Apr 24 with 698 viewsDiddyDave

23rd April, St George’s Day on 13:09 - Apr 24 by pioneer

Anzac Day is April 25th...but I guess in NZ they are having a public holiday on Monday 27th in lieu of it falling on the weekend. In parts of Australia they are not having a day in lieu, so one less public holiday this year. And folks are not allowed to attend the traditional dawn services ...except of the dignitaries who are still attending. So much for ‘we are all in this together’.

The wife and I just did our bit,or at least all we`re allowed to do at the moment;stood out the front door with a lit candle at 6.00,the sun coming up over the Coral Sea. A big day normally in Australia and New Zealand,the Dawn Parade,then the service and march passed at 10.00.
23rd April, St George’s Day on 21:38 - Apr 24 with 696 viewsDiddyDave

23rd April, St George’s Day on 21:36 - Apr 24 by DiddyDave

The wife and I just did our bit,or at least all we`re allowed to do at the moment;stood out the front door with a lit candle at 6.00,the sun coming up over the Coral Sea. A big day normally in Australia and New Zealand,the Dawn Parade,then the service and march passed at 10.00.

Sadly,not this year.
23rd April, St George’s Day on 22:41 - Apr 24 with 654 viewsDiddyDave

23rd April, St George’s Day on 12:48 - Apr 24 by kiwidale

Just one more huge cock up that sadly summed up almost the whole of the Great War. It was Churchill`s idea,he was First Lord of the Admiralty at the time. My dads always said the idea in principle was a good one to knock Turkey out of the war,but as usual the actual planning and landing,as you`ve pointed out,was an unmitigated disaster. The Turks knew they were coming and were well armed,they had the best rifles in the world at the time,British Enfield rifles that Britain sold to them before the war.
23rd April, St George’s Day on 18:54 - Apr 25 with 543 viewsAncoats_Blue

You carnt even say your English enymor
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024