Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Norwich LC Final... 19:11 - Apr 23 with 3556 viewsdale1968

Just been having a look through You Tube and stumbled across this short clip of our game at Carrow Rd in the 62 Final.

Poll: Should The Military Assist The Police Over Covid Compliance.

Norwich LC Final... on 09:57 - Apr 26 with 716 viewsD_Alien

Norwich LC Final... on 09:49 - Apr 26 by kiwidale

You got a far better memory than me D_A I remember the away game at Halifax was a promotion decider with the winner going up as runners up but have no recollection of the penultimate game of the season that you mention. I seem to recall we needed a win v Southend last game of season to gaurentee to go up in 3rd, a draw was good enough for 4th place depending on the Bradford City result and that Southend could have pipped us for 4th if they beat us and Bradford won. I've probably got that all wrong I still believe Blackburn finished runnrs up in 1961.

On this occasion, you're right insofar as the Notts Co fixture is concerned, it was our next to last away game

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Norwich LC Final... on 10:19 - Apr 26 with 703 viewsncfc_chalky

Norwich LC Final... on 09:50 - Apr 26 by 442Dale

There’s a steam bus in Whitby that looked a bit similar.

Yeah that's right 442,now you mention it the one at Whitby was steam driven and I did a tour on it but the one in the video looks very familiar as well

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

Norwich LC Final... on 10:23 - Apr 26 with 697 viewsncfc_chalky

You got a far better memory than me D_A I remember the away game at Halifax was a promotion decider with the winner going up as runners up but have no recollection of the penultimate game of the season that you mention. I seem to recall we needed a win v Southend last game of season to gaurentee to go up in 3rd, a draw was good enough for 4th place depending on the Bradford City result and that Southend could have pipped us for 4th if they beat us and Bradford won. I've probably got that all wrong I still believe Blackburn finished runnrs up in 1961.

Bloody hell,eating tripe butties must do something for your memory as I can't remember games from a couple of seasons ago

Norwich LC Final... on 10:42 - Apr 26 with 684 viewskiwidale

Norwich LC Final... on 10:23 - Apr 26 by ncfc_chalky

Bloody hell,eating tripe butties must do something for your memory as I can't remember games from a couple of seasons ago

Do you not remember any of them games when you cheated us out of the title. We cant forget.

This is not the time for bickering.

Norwich LC Final... on 10:46 - Apr 26 with 679 viewsncfc_chalky

Norwich LC Final... on 10:42 - Apr 26 by kiwidale

Do you not remember any of them games when you cheated us out of the title. We cant forget.

You seemed to have forgot that Dale came third that season though so you wasn't cheated out of anything

Norwich LC Final... on 13:30 - Apr 26 with 633 viewspioneer

Yes KD the Halifax away game was the penultimate game of the season. Having beaten them at home in the previous game we just needed a result at the Shay to guarantee us promotion and you were among many others making that trip over tops but we lost 1-0 leaving the Southend game with all to play for.

If you have ever watched the baseball film Field of Dreams you will probably remember the scene with the headlights of thousands of cars driving to the game on the Iowa field. I think of that Halifax game when i see that film - nose to tail cars and coaches heading over the tops.
Norwich LC Final... on 16:50 - Apr 26 with 591 viewsmingthemerciless

According to Steven Phillips " The Definitive Rochdale AFC " the relevant last four matches were as follows -

April 28th Notts County A 1-1.( Jenkins )
April 30th Halifax Town H 1-0. ( Butler )
May 8th Halifax Town A 0-1
May10th Southend H 3-0 ( Melledew, Jenkins 2, 1pen )

As I recall it a win at Halifax would have seen us promoted.

In my mind I would have agreed with you that we needed to beat Southend to go up but if you look at the final League table I find that impossible.

Doncaster 59 pts
Halifax 57pts
Rochdale 56 pts
Bradford 56 pts
Darlington 52 pts
Colchester 52 pts
Southend 51pts
Lincoln51 pts

Don't forget it was 2 pts for a win in those days.

Edit, on further research - although it was our last game, Southend still had to play Scunthorpe away so if they had have beaten the Dale and then won at Scunny they would have pipped us by 1 point. As it was the played at Scunthorpe on the following Monday and they lost 4-1.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2020 19:38]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024