Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rochdale Stats Database 01:30 - Apr 25 with 11188 viewsChockers1

Hi.

i'm using lock-down to put together a Rochdale database, year on year stats for all players, appearances, goals, sub appearances etc which will give an overall list of these stats per competition....love stats and dale so it's a win-win for me. I also like looking at Dale manager's or era's and seeing how actually played the most games who was the sub's always coming on and who bagged the most goals....

1 - Is there something like this that is in circulation?
2 - What would be the best place to get this information - i'v found soccerbase has stats to 1996 but wondering how i could go back further? I'm guessing i might need some annuals but am unsure which one's would be best

Any information would be greatly received :)

Cheers All

UP THE DALE
[Post edited 4 May 2020 4:46]
Rochdale Stats Database on 05:37 - May 10 with 2080 viewsD_Alien

Rochdale Stats Database on 02:06 - May 10 by Chockers1

**PROGRESS UPDATE**

Using the English National Football archive I've managed to create a DB using every single player season record back to 1921/22 the first year in the football league. I'm in the home stretch!!!!! . I've managed to use macro's to manipulate the data to the correct format etc...

Hit the slower hard yards which si going through every playoff, football league cup & league cup game to break out data but the end version will show

Name, starts, sub appearances, goals in total plus a breakdown of tier, 4, tier 3, 3rd Div (n), 3rd Div cup, playoffs, fa cup, football league cup (carabao) and league cup

My question is to those in the know how accurate is the football league database?

Once I've finished this i'l put an easy to use front on it and upload to a google drive for people to access if they love a bit of stats like me. This is built in excel with formulas, vlookups against player ids for now i'm happy with the format but once it's done i will start work on an access database version with game by game details in

Just a word of caution. If you're planning on using MS Access to develop a more user-friendly front end, and depending on how experienced you are with databases, try to avoid using the so-called 'Wizard' features. They can be useful under certain limited circumstances, but for anything remotely ambitious they can catch out the unwary by making assumptions - about mathematical formatting, for instance - that can lead to ever-increasing errors in calculated fields

An example would be the use of decimal places, where you'd be much better off using the developer tools to specify more precisely how you wish the data fields to be displayed. Once you've gone down the Wizard route, making subsequent changes can be well-nigh impossible and you could find you've wasted a lot of time and effort

Even worse - you might not even realise the errors have crept in

Using SQL is the ideal, and apologies if you have this kind of knowledge and experience at your fingertips. Otherwise, i'd advise building the database from scratch using the Access tools that allow you to do this, but steering clear of any features (such as Wizards) which appear to make the task easier but in fact can ruin the enterprise

Also, be very wary when importing data from Excel. Always do a test run using small amounts which can easily be checked over for any import errors, before batch-importing of the kind of amounts you seem to have accumulated. I should add that i'm no longer involved in database development but speak with over 20 years experience up till 2016. And finally, good luck

Edit: meant to add, be especially aware of date formatting! If you're using the dd/mm/yyyy format in Excel, unless you specify the same format when creating your Access tables, chances are it'll convert your dates to the American mm/dd/yyyy format. And specify your own relationships between tables, rather than relying on default settings
[Post edited 10 May 2020 6:20]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Rochdale Stats Database on 13:27 - May 10 with 1970 viewsTVOS1907

Rochdale Stats Database on 02:06 - May 10 by Chockers1

**PROGRESS UPDATE**

Using the English National Football archive I've managed to create a DB using every single player season record back to 1921/22 the first year in the football league. I'm in the home stretch!!!!! . I've managed to use macro's to manipulate the data to the correct format etc...

Hit the slower hard yards which si going through every playoff, football league cup & league cup game to break out data but the end version will show

Name, starts, sub appearances, goals in total plus a breakdown of tier, 4, tier 3, 3rd Div (n), 3rd Div cup, playoffs, fa cup, football league cup (carabao) and league cup

My question is to those in the know how accurate is the football league database?

Once I've finished this i'l put an easy to use front on it and upload to a google drive for people to access if they love a bit of stats like me. This is built in excel with formulas, vlookups against player ids for now i'm happy with the format but once it's done i will start work on an access database version with game by game details in

What do you mean by the 'football league database'? or do you mean ENFA?

If so, it's the most accurate source I've come across, but given the vast amount of data it contains, there's every possibility of errors, but they aren't flagged up as errors until someone spots them, which is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Just to help you out, 'football league cup (carabao)' and 'league cup' are the same thing. I think you mean 'EFL Cup (Carabao)' and 'EFL Trophy (Leasing.com)'.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Rochdale Stats Database on 14:36 - May 10 with 1942 viewsseasidedale

Years ago, in the seventies I collected info for a data base, I would go through all the Rochdale observers in the library. I list every game and player appearance from foundation in 1907 to modern times, I did it like the rothmans football yearbook list. I think the intention at the time was to make book with the supporters club (1975) but nothing came of it, still I had fun doing it and gained a knowledge of our past
Rochdale Stats Database on 21:07 - May 10 with 1875 viewspioneer

Rochdale Stats Database on 14:36 - May 10 by seasidedale

Years ago, in the seventies I collected info for a data base, I would go through all the Rochdale observers in the library. I list every game and player appearance from foundation in 1907 to modern times, I did it like the rothmans football yearbook list. I think the intention at the time was to make book with the supporters club (1975) but nothing came of it, still I had fun doing it and gained a knowledge of our past

Stephen Phillips was part of that initiative...and there is a fairly long list of acknowledgements in his book (books) which includes folks from that group who provided help.

I think changes inSupporters club leadership in the late 70s changed some priorities but Stephen persevered.
Rochdale Stats Database on 10:48 - May 11 with 1797 viewsseasidedale

Rochdale Stats Database on 21:07 - May 10 by pioneer

Stephen Phillips was part of that initiative...and there is a fairly long list of acknowledgements in his book (books) which includes folks from that group who provided help.

I think changes inSupporters club leadership in the late 70s changed some priorities but Stephen persevered.

I know I was on the supporters club committee from 76-77 along with Stephen Birch and Eric Rogers amongst others
Rochdale Stats Database on 09:16 - May 15 with 1701 viewsChockers1

Rochdale Stats Database on 14:36 - May 10 by seasidedale

WOW that must have been a hell of a lot of work!!! Do you still have the data collected and would i be able to use as a check point against the football archive data?

Do you think you will do something with the data in the future?
Rochdale Stats Database on 09:26 - May 15 with 1696 viewsChockers1

**PROGRESS UPDATE**

Thanks for all the messages and information provide so far, really big help with working out how to validate data going forward.

I am into the final hurdle for the excel version of the database. This is all the data collected from the national football achieve - season by season and then through formulas and macro's it pumps out appearance and goal stats overall total and by completion. I just have the league cup to go and add a few buttons to automate future changes.

Will be a good milestone to tick off knowing i have a working model.

The most league appearances for the club according to the ENFA are:

NAME APPEARANCES START SUB
Gary Jones 470 449 21
Graham Smith 317 316 1
Reg Jenkins 305 294 11
Ian Henderson 297 289 8
Ray Aspden 297 297 0
Dave Thompson 266 237 29
Wayne Evans 259 259 0
Josh Lillis 252 249 3

The official club stats? Do they have a home on the web anywhere?

https://ibb.co/3BK5w3B

Hopefully that pic comes up - the numbers in the total app & goals are wrong as i've not finished the league cup but gives a sense of how the summary tab might look (there are around 150 worksheets) at the end
[Post edited 15 May 2020 9:29]
Rochdale Stats Database on 13:30 - May 15 with 1640 viewsTVOS1907

Rochdale Stats Database on 09:16 - May 15 by Chockers1

WOW that must have been a hell of a lot of work!!! Do you still have the data collected and would i be able to use as a check point against the football archive data?

Do you think you will do something with the data in the future?

Given when he collected the data (the 1970s), chances are it was on bits of paper or in books, whereas you really need things electronically.

It might be worth your while looking on Amazon for Steven Phillipps' four books in which he profiles every Dale player from 1907 up to the end date of the fourth book.

Login to get fewer ads

Rochdale Stats Database on 13:37 - May 15 with 1639 viewsTVOS1907

Rochdale Stats Database on 09:26 - May 15 by Chockers1

**PROGRESS UPDATE**

Thanks for all the messages and information provide so far, really big help with working out how to validate data going forward.

I am into the final hurdle for the excel version of the database. This is all the data collected from the national football achieve - season by season and then through formulas and macro's it pumps out appearance and goal stats overall total and by completion. I just have the league cup to go and add a few buttons to automate future changes.

Will be a good milestone to tick off knowing i have a working model.

The most league appearances for the club according to the ENFA are:

NAME APPEARANCES START SUB
Gary Jones 470 449 21
Graham Smith 317 316 1
Reg Jenkins 305 294 11
Ian Henderson 297 289 8
Ray Aspden 297 297 0
Dave Thompson 266 237 29
Wayne Evans 259 259 0
Josh Lillis 252 249 3

The official club stats? Do they have a home on the web anywhere?

https://ibb.co/3BK5w3B

Hopefully that pic comes up - the numbers in the total app & goals are wrong as i've not finished the league cup but gives a sense of how the summary tab might look (there are around 150 worksheets) at the end
[Post edited 15 May 2020 9:29]

No, the official club stats aren't on the web anywhere.

The image looks good, although you can't spell APPEARANCES :)

Rochdale Stats Database on 11:09 - May 19 with 1554 viewsChockers1

**PROGRESS UPDATE**
Started playing with some new graphics which will pull data from the spreadsheet - open to any feedback if there is something you would want to see

https://ibb.co/q7jChbW

eg - Place down the right showing year on year stats etc

Still got the league cup formula editing to finish it off to get the "correct" figures - app, games etc....

There will be filters at the bottom of this where you can select which player you want to see and his profile details come up - building the same for a club season by season view and will update the all time & season records to make them look more appealing

Also thought it would be cool with creating each player a unique ID that ID is the number player they were to take the field for dale in league football - similar to the England cricket team - again on the backlog to work through :)
Rochdale Stats Database on 11:34 - May 19 with 1520 viewsD_Alien

Rochdale Stats Database on 11:09 - May 19 by Chockers1

**PROGRESS UPDATE**
Started playing with some new graphics which will pull data from the spreadsheet - open to any feedback if there is something you would want to see

Still got the league cup formula editing to finish it off to get the "correct" figures - app, games etc....

There will be filters at the bottom of this where you can select which player you want to see and his profile details come up - building the same for a club season by season view and will update the all time & season records to make them look more appealing

Also thought it would be cool with creating each player a unique ID that ID is the number player they were to take the field for dale in league football - similar to the England cricket team - again on the backlog to work through :)

Creating a player ID is an excellent idea, not least when it comes to creating your Access version (create a separate table with ID, Name)

You then won't have to worry about errors creeping in through mis-spelling of player names or players with very similar names: simply use the ID as linkage between related tables and when running queries

[Post edited 19 May 2020 11:43]

Rochdale Stats Database on 13:06 - May 19 with 1486 viewsTVOS1907

Rochdale Stats Database on 11:34 - May 19 by D_Alien

Creating a player ID is an excellent idea, not least when it comes to creating your Access version (create a separate table with ID, Name)

You then won't have to worry about errors creeping in through mis-spelling of player names or players with very similar names: simply use the ID as linkage between related tables and when running queries

[Post edited 19 May 2020 11:43]

It is. I'm surprised nobody else has thought of it.

Rochdale Stats Database on 13:29 - May 19 with 1480 viewsfermin

Rochdale Stats Database on 11:09 - May 19 by Chockers1

**PROGRESS UPDATE**

Will you be able to drill down into the games each player played? Perhaps also have line-ups for each game linked to the player's photo. Match reports (from the Observer?) and programmes/programme covers if you are being ambitious? I don't know anything about web design so no idea how practical this would be.

I imagine it would be difficult to find pictures for some of the more obscure players, though I found a few for this site (not mine) http://clarkechroniclersfootballers.blogspot.com/2010/
No doubt there are lots of better people/sources to get them from if you want to do this.
Rochdale Stats Database on 13:45 - May 19 with 1458 viewsTVOS1907

Rochdale Stats Database on 13:29 - May 19 by fermin

Will you be able to drill down into the games each player played? Perhaps also have line-ups for each game linked to the player's photo. Match reports (from the Observer?) and programmes/programme covers if you are being ambitious? I don't know anything about web design so no idea how practical this would be.

I imagine it would be difficult to find pictures for some of the more obscure players, though I found a few for this site (not mine) http://clarkechroniclersfootballers.blogspot.com/2010/
No doubt there are lots of better people/sources to get them from if you want to do this.

Re. your first questions, it's something that is potentially in the pipeline for the future.

Rochdale Stats Database on 17:51 - May 19 with 1415 viewsDaleiLama

Rochdale Stats Database on 13:06 - May 19 by TVOS1907

It is. I'm surprised nobody else has thought of it.

Reading between the lines, is the wheel being re-invented here?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Rochdale Stats Database on 17:56 - May 19 with 1408 viewsTVOS1907

Rochdale Stats Database on 17:51 - May 19 by DaleiLama

Reading between the lines, is the wheel being re-invented here?

Well there's four in my avatar.

Rochdale Stats Database on 18:00 - May 19 with 1409 viewsDaleiLama

Rochdale Stats Database on 17:56 - May 19 by TVOS1907

Well there's four in my avatar.

'Nuff said

(PS I know you love pedantry - 6 counting the steering and spare varieties!)
[Post edited 19 May 2020 18:01]

Rochdale Stats Database on 18:14 - May 19 with 1392 viewsTVOS1907

Rochdale Stats Database on 18:00 - May 19 by DaleiLama

'Nuff said

(PS I know you love pedantry - 6 counting the steering and spare varieties!)
[Post edited 19 May 2020 18:01]

I can't see them. Your eyes must be bionic!

Rochdale Stats Database on 18:30 - May 19 with 1384 viewsD_Alien

Rochdale Stats Database on 18:14 - May 19 by TVOS1907

I can only count 2

Rochdale Stats Database on 20:37 - May 19 with 1356 viewsDaleiLama

Rochdale Stats Database on 18:14 - May 19 by TVOS1907

Being a fan of faith, believing is not necessarily seeing.

Rochdale Stats Database on 20:52 - May 19 with 1347 viewsTVOS1907

Rochdale Stats Database on 18:30 - May 19 by D_Alien

I can only count 2

I'm seeing double since I started wearing specs!

Rochdale Stats Database on 20:59 - May 19 with 1337 viewsD_Alien

Rochdale Stats Database on 20:52 - May 19 by TVOS1907

I'm seeing double since I started wearing specs!

Must be playing havoc with your pupils!

Rochdale Stats Database on 21:14 - May 19 with 1318 viewsDaleiLama

Rochdale Stats Database on 20:59 - May 19 by D_Alien

Must be playing havoc with your pupils!

Which is preferable, vitreous or schoolboy humour?

Rochdale Stats Database on 21:15 - May 19 with 1313 viewsD_Alien

Rochdale Stats Database on 21:14 - May 19 by DaleiLama

Which is preferable, vitreous or schoolboy humour?

Both are preferable to Double Maths

Rochdale Stats Database on 21:19 - May 19 with 1305 viewsDaleiLama

Rochdale Stats Database on 21:15 - May 19 by D_Alien

Both are preferable to Double Maths

If TVOS can see four he must be using a quad ratic equation. Especially now he can't take the syllabus.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024