Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm 14:21 - May 11 with 16020 viewsaleanddale

How well do you think Boris came across on Sunday night?.

Bit bizarre that instead of making things crystal clear and asking for another push together the whole charade was shrouded in ambiguity.

5/10 from me.
Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 17:48 - May 12 with 1797 viewsTheBeast666

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 15:51 - May 11 by BigDaveMyCock

I am still none the wiser as to what ‘stay alert’ is supposed to mean.

FFS, some people are just so politically motivated they just have to criticise anything Boris does. If you do not understand 'stay alert' when a silent and invisible virus is killing people often because they fail to observe common sense precautions then we are all doomed !
Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 17:56 - May 12 with 1772 viewsrochdaleriddler

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 17:48 - May 12 by TheBeast666

FFS, some people are just so politically motivated they just have to criticise anything Boris does. If you do not understand 'stay alert' when a silent and invisible virus is killing people often because they fail to observe common sense precautions then we are all doomed !

Supporting him when things palpably go wrong seems far more political to me, it goes both ways

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 18:01 - May 12 with 1757 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 17:48 - May 12 by TheBeast666

Stay alert for something that is ‘silent and invisible’ you say?

PS Now I reckon Beastie isn’t the only name you go by on here is it?
[Post edited 12 May 2020 18:42]

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 19:19 - May 12 with 1711 viewsrochdaleriddler

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 18:01 - May 12 by BigDaveMyCock

Stay alert for something that is ‘silent and invisible’ you say?

PS Now I reckon Beastie isn’t the only name you go by on here is it?
[Post edited 12 May 2020 18:42]

Really?

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 19:56 - May 12 with 1690 views442Dale

Don’t start. Anyone.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 08:49 - May 13 with 1571 viewsaleanddale

Manchester Chief of police got it right saying it’s now down to everybody to make the right choices.

We have parameters and we know the rules.

If it looks wrong and feels wrong it probably is wrong.

Every single person step up to the plate and take responsibility for your own actions.

You can now meet up with a friend in a public space to meet BUT you can also cover your face and keep 2 metres apart. I think social distancing will become the new normal for quite some time.

Let’s hope the vaccine is sorted and we can all have access sooner rather than later. Until the vaccine is sorted this will keep rumbling on.
Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 09:33 - May 13 with 1549 viewsD_Alien

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 08:49 - May 13 by aleanddale

Manchester Chief of police got it right saying it’s now down to everybody to make the right choices.

We have parameters and we know the rules.

If it looks wrong and feels wrong it probably is wrong.

Every single person step up to the plate and take responsibility for your own actions.

You can now meet up with a friend in a public space to meet BUT you can also cover your face and keep 2 metres apart. I think social distancing will become the new normal for quite some time.

Let’s hope the vaccine is sorted and we can all have access sooner rather than later. Until the vaccine is sorted this will keep rumbling on.

That's absolutely right a&d. It's about treating people like adults and expecting that they'll understand and comply. There will always be those who feel the need to be told what to do, perhaps they'd prefer living in a dictatorship

Sunday night was always going to be just about a change of emphasis, in a 10 minute timeframe

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 09:43 - May 13 with 1531 viewsNigeriamark

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 09:33 - May 13 by D_Alien

That's absolutely right a&d. It's about treating people like adults and expecting that they'll understand and comply. There will always be those who feel the need to be told what to do, perhaps they'd prefer living in a dictatorship

Sunday night was always going to be just about a change of emphasis, in a 10 minute timeframe

Spot on for 95%. Unfortunately you have the anti-social yobs, people with no common sense as well as vulnerable confused people who don't have the right support around them. This need to also nitpick at what is being said by politicians by the papers isn't helping. The media need to be on board with consistent "boring" messages rather than stirring it ( not all media in fairness)
Login to get fewer ads

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 09:51 - May 13 with 1516 viewsDaleiLama

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 09:43 - May 13 by Nigeriamark

Spot on for 95%. Unfortunately you have the anti-social yobs, people with no common sense as well as vulnerable confused people who don't have the right support around them. This need to also nitpick at what is being said by politicians by the papers isn't helping. The media need to be on board with consistent "boring" messages rather than stirring it ( not all media in fairness)

Public transport seems to be a weak link too. Let's see how it all plays out.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 09:53 - May 13 with 1516 viewsSaxonDale

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 19:22 - May 11 by isitme

All of those are interesting questions and in reality, as you have said there is no easy answer as we have seen across the world. There are so many different answers and to some people all of them would be wrong!

Most of the teachers that I know want to get back to working in schools, rather than remotely. I suspect from anecdontal evidence, that there would be enough teachers/nursery staff for the number of children who would return if schools reopen on 1st June. The teaching unions do not reflect the views of many teachers. Many parents may not feel confident sending their children back initially so classes will not be full anyway. I would say initially that if parents do not want to send their children back before September then they should not be fined. I understand their concerns, but by the same token, it should not be a case of because I do not want something, no else should be able to.

When the furlough scheme is ended/tappered off for those industries which are allowed to reopen then unfortunately some people's hands will be forced, rather than returning to work by free choice. As you can probably guess I am happy to go back to work.

My Mum has already had Covid-19, so in my situation she would be very happy to see her Grandson and I am more than happy for him to see her, when allowed. Whilst I agree with the sentiment, a managed risk by one, does not always have to negatively affect someone else.
[Post edited 11 May 2020 19:56]

As a Teacher myself I am not convinced there will be enough teaching staff available (especially with classrooms being limited to 15) support for 1st June return seems very low amongst my colleagues.
Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 09:59 - May 13 with 1507 viewsrochdaleriddler

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 09:53 - May 13 by SaxonDale

As a Teacher myself I am not convinced there will be enough teaching staff available (especially with classrooms being limited to 15) support for 1st June return seems very low amongst my colleagues.

I know a few teachers, none think a return is a good idea at this point, all think social distancing will be impossible

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 10:04 - May 13 with 1504 viewsD_Alien

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 09:53 - May 13 by SaxonDale

It's absolutely understandable that there will be concerns, but we're still more than a fortnight away. There's been a much longer period for the planning of a return, too; a period when some schools have remained open to a limited number of pupils

And isn't it just for 3 primary agegroups, to begin with? If the average class size is around 30, that'd be 6 classrooms. It's out of genuine interest that i ask someone in the profession whether that can't be accommodated? What would be the key issues to be resolved before you'd be convinced?

[Post edited 13 May 2020 10:06]

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 10:26 - May 13 with 1478 viewstony_roch975

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 10:04 - May 13 by D_Alien

It's absolutely understandable that there will be concerns, but we're still more than a fortnight away. There's been a much longer period for the planning of a return, too; a period when some schools have remained open to a limited number of pupils

And isn't it just for 3 primary agegroups, to begin with? If the average class size is around 30, that'd be 6 classrooms. It's out of genuine interest that i ask someone in the profession whether that can't be accommodated? What would be the key issues to be resolved before you'd be convinced?

My window cleaner returned today - outdoors, one worker, 10 minutes, money can be left out so no contact; so 'acceptable' low risk; several hundred children & adults in enclosed spaces for hours with continual contact with surfaces and people - high risk. Avoiding spreading the virus might be a key issue. Most classrooms would only accomodate a handful of children at 1.8 mtrs distance - you'd need 5/6 teachers to each current class. I guess if everyone was in PPE and stayed sitting on a single chair in a hall all day it would be low risk but would it be a school!

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 10:39 - May 13 with 1464 viewsD_Alien

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 10:26 - May 13 by tony_roch975

My window cleaner returned today - outdoors, one worker, 10 minutes, money can be left out so no contact; so 'acceptable' low risk; several hundred children & adults in enclosed spaces for hours with continual contact with surfaces and people - high risk. Avoiding spreading the virus might be a key issue. Most classrooms would only accomodate a handful of children at 1.8 mtrs distance - you'd need 5/6 teachers to each current class. I guess if everyone was in PPE and stayed sitting on a single chair in a hall all day it would be low risk but would it be a school!

Thanks, it's good to hear that perspective. Again, genuinely, what's happening in schools that are open at the moment?

And since the virus is likely to be with us longish term, when does the risk outweigh the need to get young minds engaged within their peer groups?

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 10:44 - May 13 with 1456 viewsisitme

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 09:59 - May 13 by rochdaleriddler

I know a few teachers, none think a return is a good idea at this point, all think social distancing will be impossible

Social distancing will be impossible, especially for the youngest children, who will not understand. For older children they may be able to social distance in class, but once they get outside class I am not sure they will choose to social distance.

I agree that some teachers will be reluctant to go back, although the vast majority that I know have no real issues going back as they feel that for both their children's mental health and education that they need to get back to some form of normality as soon as possible.

Again a lot of this comes down to people's perception of risk and personal circumstances. None of the teachers that I know are in the at risk group, or have close family members who are. I can understand those that are at risk, or live with those who are shielding will feel differently. Not every parent will want their children to return on 1 June and that should be their choice, but many will.

If you look at the statistics 1% of reported deaths in hospitals have been people under the age of 60 without pre existing health conditions and 0.05% of deaths have been people under the age of 19.
[Post edited 13 May 2020 10:58]
Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 10:52 - May 13 with 1441 viewsisitme

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 10:04 - May 13 by D_Alien

As I have mentioned in my previous post social distancing is pretty much a no go with the youngest pupils as they will not understand it. Teaching in PPE and/or masks is unpractical and probably very intimidating for younger pupils. That is the risk that teachers and parents have to be aware of. Are they prepared to accept that level of risk?

Having six classrooms with enough staff is probably the major issue. Will all schools have enough space and staff? Unless they are really small primary schools the space should be okay, but the staffing could/maybe an issue depending on the make up of the staff group. If the staff group contains a number of people who are at risk they may be reluctant to come back to work, which you can understand.

I would suspect that from a class size of 30 that not all parents will send their children back from 1st June, but that many will.

I missed your what is happening in schools at the moment point. Again this will depend on the school and the number of pupils who are attending. I suspect it will be along similar lines of what is proposed to happen from June. Small classes with as much social distancing as possible. The major difference will be that it is probably easier to isolate classes as many schools will have the equivalent of one or two classes in currently. Again I must stress that different schools will face different situations and it will be up to the senior management in those schools to identify solutions to problems. Sometimes their will be significant obstacles, other times it will depend on will.
Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 11:21 - May 13 with 1415 viewsDaleiLama

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 10:44 - May 13 by isitme

Social distancing will be impossible, especially for the youngest children, who will not understand. For older children they may be able to social distance in class, but once they get outside class I am not sure they will choose to social distance.

I agree that some teachers will be reluctant to go back, although the vast majority that I know have no real issues going back as they feel that for both their children's mental health and education that they need to get back to some form of normality as soon as possible.

Again a lot of this comes down to people's perception of risk and personal circumstances. None of the teachers that I know are in the at risk group, or have close family members who are. I can understand those that are at risk, or live with those who are shielding will feel differently. Not every parent will want their children to return on 1 June and that should be their choice, but many will.

If you look at the statistics 1% of reported deaths in hospitals have been people under the age of 60 without pre existing health conditions and 0.05% of deaths have been people under the age of 19.

The deaths statistics are very much skewed against the older generation.

0 - 19 yrs - 12
20 - 39 - 172
40 - 59 - 1,890
60 - 79 - 9,184
80+ - 12,451

Total deaths at that time 23709.

This data from https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-daily-deat and not bang up to date, but representative nonetheless (I was curious and checking last night - figures updated daily in a spreadsheet with some time lag).

A staggering 91.25% of deaths are in the 60+ group and over half (52.5%) in the over 80s. Of course, as people age, underlying health conditions develop and worsen.

As you rightly say, individuals perceptions of risk will vary depending on their circumstances and that of their families.

What is emerging is that this disease preys on the old, the weak and probably also has a genetic "preference". Finding the right balance between protecting this group, whilst deciding what is "necessary" (on a risk vs reward basis) for both individuals and state is the biggest challenge for everyone of us. It will also never be universally agreed upon, but that risk has to be minimised until better treatment is developed. It also seems that better treatment appears to be developing, but is very much in its infancy.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 11:31 - May 13 with 1395 viewsD_Alien

Can i just say to all the above responders, how fabulous it is to have a proper, non-politicised, debate; questioning but at the same time informative and with input from professionals

This is what i intended right at the outset in trying to invoke this messageboard as a resource

Please may this continue, then at least we can put 442's watchfulness into furlough

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 11:32 - May 13 with 1392 viewsisitme

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 11:21 - May 13 by DaleiLama

0 - 19 yrs - 12
20 - 39 - 172
40 - 59 - 1,890
60 - 79 - 9,184
80+ - 12,451

This data from https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-daily-deat and not bang up to date, but representative nonetheless (I was curious and checking last night - figures updated daily in a spreadsheet with some time lag).

A staggering 91.25% of deaths are in the 60+ group and over half (52.5%) in the over 80s. Of course, as people age, underlying health conditions develop and worsen.

As you rightly say, individuals perceptions of risk will vary depending on their circumstances and that of their families.

What is emerging is that this disease preys on the old, the weak and probably also has a genetic "preference". Finding the right balance between protecting this group, whilst deciding what is "necessary" (on a risk vs reward basis) for both individuals and state is the biggest challenge for everyone of us. It will also never be universally agreed upon, but that risk has to be minimised until better treatment is developed. It also seems that better treatment appears to be developing, but is very much in its infancy.

Those are the figures that I used yesterday. I had heard a number of statistical soundbites so I thought I would do the calculations myself. Those are statistics for deaths in hospitals if you add in care homes the numbers would be even more skewed towards the top end of the age range. From the hospitals data 97% of those who died over the age of 80 had a pre existing health condition, which is to be expected.

As you have rightly pointed out this awful disease is preying on the old and the weak and trying to mitigate the impact of it is difficult. Hopefully like with Hong Kong flu the virus will mutate to become less dangerous and that treatments will improve and a vaccine found, although that might be a long way off.
Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 11:35 - May 13 with 1385 viewsNigeriamark

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 11:21 - May 13 by DaleiLama

0 - 19 yrs - 12
20 - 39 - 172
40 - 59 - 1,890
60 - 79 - 9,184
80+ - 12,451

another small stat to add to yours is that 1% of everybody over 90 has been killed by COVID 19. So as you say, highly weighted against the elderly. I think I heard it makes them 10,000 times more likely to die of Covid 19 than someone under 25
Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 12:05 - May 13 with 1358 viewsSaxonDale

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 10:39 - May 13 by D_Alien

Thanks, it's good to hear that perspective. Again, genuinely, what's happening in schools that are open at the moment?

And since the virus is likely to be with us longish term, when does the risk outweigh the need to get young minds engaged within their peer groups?

I work in a London School and we've merged with one other school to support approx 20 children of Key Workers over the last 6 weeks or so. Given the staffing (4 staff in per day) and the age range of the children 3-11 Social Distancing has been nigh on impossible to enforce over the last few weeks and it has certainly been more of a Playcentre atmosphere than anything resembling School.

I do agree that given that this virus could still be around this time next year something does need to be done at some stage, and there is definitely no easy outcome. I can understand the frustrations of teachers at the moment- don't think anyone enjoys teaching online as much as interacting with children in person. I'm a Year 6 teacher and was expecting for us to go back around 1st June, I do believe it can generally be done safely for that age group and would allow a reasonable trial period for schools to try accommodate other year groups.

The younger children going back does worry me- as Isitme says social distancing will be almost impossible to regulate. I know there is some scientific evidence that suggests that they spread the disease less but I'd feel more comfortable if we had more time to further test this theory.

As others have said school life will be completely different until a proper solution is thought up. I imagine staggered starts, break times, lunchtimes, Victorian-esque classrooms, 1 way systems etc will be the best possible way of trying to maintain safety. Not teaching as we know it but we will have to adapt.

When taking into account Staff numbers (those who are currently shielding) I doubt it'd be possible for our school to run at anywhere near full-capacity. Think the best the government can hope for by the end of July is if they go for a Year group rota, but I'm not sure how effective again that would be.

Interesting discussion though and appreciate the opinions shared.
Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 13:10 - May 13 with 1283 viewsfermin

My nephews in Vienna are going back to school next Monday on a rota basis. This article (in German) gives more information:

https://www.news.at/a/epidemie-corona-schulschliessung-11381634

A rough and ready translation of the more general bits (ie excluding the topics specific to the Austrian education system) is as follows:

'There is a maximum limit of 18 students per group. All major classes must be divided, the Ministry of Education said in a decree. As announced, gymnastics is basically cancelled, music can still be performed - but without singing. Sitting in elementary schools should be possible in exceptional cases.

As a rule, all classes must be divided into two groups of the same size - "unless the maximum total number of students from 15 to 18 is not exceeded in one class and the existing hygiene regulations can be adhered to" (i.e. the one-metre distance between the tables). The Ministry recommends that the schools use the "three plus two days" model - three days of instruction for one group and two days for the other, and vice versa the week after. Other models are also possible for school autonomy - however "in coordination between school supervision and school management".

If a different split has been chosen at the location, out of consideration for working parents it must be ensured that siblings do not have different intervals when they go to school. If children go to two different schools, the education directorates should "ensure that the models for group formation practiced in the individual schools are coordinated so that there are no organizational difficulties for parents and legal guardians". If this is the case, "after appropriate consultation with the parents and legal guardians, suitable solutions can be found for the pupils concerned".

In principle, the previous timetable should be maintained at the schools. As already announced, however, there are no gymnastics lesson - there are only special rules for competitive sports schools or schools with a focus on sports. Music, on the other hand, can basically take place - however, singing is not allowed. There are also special rules for schools with a focus on music. In all other subjects, such as religion, singing or dancing has to be avoided.

Classes at elementary schools generally end at 12 p.m. and at lower secondary or new secondary schools at 2 p.m. - however, lessons that have already started at this point can be ended. In contrast, upper secondary schools may also teach in the afternoon - if the school community committee decides, they can also teach on Saturday.

Integrated all-day schools will be suspended for this school year. At the end of the morning, only care will be offered. Afternoon care is continued in the open all-day schools.

Schoolwork no longer takes place. Other selective performance assessments such as tests should only be carried out in exceptional cases. Students who want to have a better grade may take a so-called "wish exam". In addition, the principle that recent work will be rated higher will be suspended this year. That means, for example, that the achievements in homeschooling are worth as much as those in the last weeks of school.

The most important questions about school opening

START OF SCHOOL: On May 4th, around 100,000 high school graduates or pupils will return in the final classes of vocational schools and vocational middle schools. On May 18, the 700,000 students at elementary schools, lower secondary schools, new middle schools (NMS) and special schools will follow, and on June 3, the remaining 300,000 students. Every Friday before (May 15th or May 29th) teacher conferences take place in the schools,

GRADING: Grading is based on the grade before school closes and the achievements in distance learning and in the past few weeks in classroom instruction. Students who are between two grades or who want a better grade can take an oral exam.

TIMETABLE: The classes are divided into two groups. One has classes from Monday to Wednesday, the other on Thursday and Friday. The next week it is the other way round. The schedule remains basically the same, but gymnastics and probably also music and afternoon classes are omitted. Childcare will continue to be offered in the afternoon, as well as on those "shift days" on which the students have no lessons.

HYGIENE: Masks are mandatory outside the classroom at school. The parents have to give their children masks, if necessary they are also made available by the school. After entering school, hands must be washed or disinfected with liquid soap. Parents and other people outside the school may only enter the school building by appointment.

STAY AWAY FROM CLASS: Pupils who are psychologically unable to go to school due to the corona pandemic or who want to protect sick people in their own household are considered to be excused after notifying the school administration. The same rules apply in the case of illness of the student.'
Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 13:20 - May 13 with 1276 viewstony_roch975

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 11:31 - May 13 by D_Alien

Can i just say to all the above responders, how fabulous it is to have a proper, non-politicised, debate; questioning but at the same time informative and with input from professionals

This is what i intended right at the outset in trying to invoke this messageboard as a resource

Please may this continue, then at least we can put 442's watchfulness into furlough

agree but just to lower the ton(y) for a moment with a slight challenge - I presume you meant non-'party' politicised; decisions about legal requirements to attend school or who is enabled to earn a living or risks of death to citizens are surely quintessentially political? Undoubtedly the mixing element you mentioned is crucial but schools are not the only method to enable that. Having trained and worked as a teacher for 10 years I was left with the view that schools and education are by no means synonymous!

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 13:26 - May 13 with 1249 viewstony_roch975

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 13:10 - May 13 by fermin

My nephews in Vienna are going back to school next Monday on a rota basis. This article (in German) gives more information:

https://www.news.at/a/epidemie-corona-schulschliessung-11381634

A rough and ready translation of the more general bits (ie excluding the topics specific to the Austrian education system) is as follows:

'There is a maximum limit of 18 students per group. All major classes must be divided, the Ministry of Education said in a decree. As announced, gymnastics is basically cancelled, music can still be performed - but without singing. Sitting in elementary schools should be possible in exceptional cases.

As a rule, all classes must be divided into two groups of the same size - "unless the maximum total number of students from 15 to 18 is not exceeded in one class and the existing hygiene regulations can be adhered to" (i.e. the one-metre distance between the tables). The Ministry recommends that the schools use the "three plus two days" model - three days of instruction for one group and two days for the other, and vice versa the week after. Other models are also possible for school autonomy - however "in coordination between school supervision and school management".

If a different split has been chosen at the location, out of consideration for working parents it must be ensured that siblings do not have different intervals when they go to school. If children go to two different schools, the education directorates should "ensure that the models for group formation practiced in the individual schools are coordinated so that there are no organizational difficulties for parents and legal guardians". If this is the case, "after appropriate consultation with the parents and legal guardians, suitable solutions can be found for the pupils concerned".

In principle, the previous timetable should be maintained at the schools. As already announced, however, there are no gymnastics lesson - there are only special rules for competitive sports schools or schools with a focus on sports. Music, on the other hand, can basically take place - however, singing is not allowed. There are also special rules for schools with a focus on music. In all other subjects, such as religion, singing or dancing has to be avoided.

Classes at elementary schools generally end at 12 p.m. and at lower secondary or new secondary schools at 2 p.m. - however, lessons that have already started at this point can be ended. In contrast, upper secondary schools may also teach in the afternoon - if the school community committee decides, they can also teach on Saturday.

Integrated all-day schools will be suspended for this school year. At the end of the morning, only care will be offered. Afternoon care is continued in the open all-day schools.

Schoolwork no longer takes place. Other selective performance assessments such as tests should only be carried out in exceptional cases. Students who want to have a better grade may take a so-called "wish exam". In addition, the principle that recent work will be rated higher will be suspended this year. That means, for example, that the achievements in homeschooling are worth as much as those in the last weeks of school.

The most important questions about school opening

START OF SCHOOL: On May 4th, around 100,000 high school graduates or pupils will return in the final classes of vocational schools and vocational middle schools. On May 18, the 700,000 students at elementary schools, lower secondary schools, new middle schools (NMS) and special schools will follow, and on June 3, the remaining 300,000 students. Every Friday before (May 15th or May 29th) teacher conferences take place in the schools,

GRADING: Grading is based on the grade before school closes and the achievements in distance learning and in the past few weeks in classroom instruction. Students who are between two grades or who want a better grade can take an oral exam.

TIMETABLE: The classes are divided into two groups. One has classes from Monday to Wednesday, the other on Thursday and Friday. The next week it is the other way round. The schedule remains basically the same, but gymnastics and probably also music and afternoon classes are omitted. Childcare will continue to be offered in the afternoon, as well as on those "shift days" on which the students have no lessons.

HYGIENE: Masks are mandatory outside the classroom at school. The parents have to give their children masks, if necessary they are also made available by the school. After entering school, hands must be washed or disinfected with liquid soap. Parents and other people outside the school may only enter the school building by appointment.

STAY AWAY FROM CLASS: Pupils who are psychologically unable to go to school due to the corona pandemic or who want to protect sick people in their own household are considered to be excused after notifying the school administration. The same rules apply in the case of illness of the student.'

interesting balance of adaptations, flexibility & tolerance - hope our Govt's guidance is similarly thorough. As someone else said, marquees may be an option in the Summer too but at what point do the adaptations mean it is no longer 'school' but more child-minding or Playcentre as Saxon wrote?.

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 13:28 - May 13 with 1244 viewsD_Alien

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 13:20 - May 13 by tony_roch975

agree but just to lower the ton(y) for a moment with a slight challenge - I presume you meant non-'party' politicised; decisions about legal requirements to attend school or who is enabled to earn a living or risks of death to citizens are surely quintessentially political? Undoubtedly the mixing element you mentioned is crucial but schools are not the only method to enable that. Having trained and worked as a teacher for 10 years I was left with the view that schools and education are by no means synonymous!

Yes, absolutely!

Politics in its broadest sense - how we negotiate our way through life

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024