Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm 14:21 - May 11 with 15945 viewsaleanddale

How well do you think Boris came across on Sunday night?.

Bit bizarre that instead of making things crystal clear and asking for another push together the whole charade was shrouded in ambiguity.

5/10 from me.
Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 23:26 - May 13 with 1718 viewsdownunder

I fear the UK will suffer a second wave. History has previously shown that as an Island Nation, there is a natural barrier to the virus. The virus is still out there, and by not learning from history (the Armada, Battle of Britain, rabies), will still circulate. Failure to close borders and use full quarantine for arrivals leads to a continuing drip feed of new cases.
Here is the article that is the catalyst to my thoughts.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/300012010/covid19-quarantine-measures-catch-
NZ allows a return to school on Monday, with social distancing of course. The difference is, that there is a possibility that NZ has zero unknown cases in circulation. Stay safe.
[Post edited 13 May 2020 23:31]
Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 00:31 - May 14 with 1667 viewstony_roch975

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 22:23 - May 13 by D_Alien

Not sure how that relates to me, unless you're referring to my own previous experience?

Clinical staff reach the 'front line' on merit in the NHS, although care homes might be a different matter - but it's entirely scurrilous for anyone to suggest that BAME staff are 'placed' on the front line; there may be an imbalance for reasons such as not being able to recruit sufficient local staff and therefore recruitment is sought from overseas, as with crop pickers for instance, i.e.without making a skills comparison
[Post edited 13 May 2020 22:27]

I was apologising for a 'party' political point (satirical comment on those anti-immigrant voices who also pay tribute to dead NHS staff every Thursday, many of whom are from immigrant backgrounds)

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 01:20 - May 14 with 1653 viewspioneer

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 23:26 - May 13 by downunder

I fear the UK will suffer a second wave. History has previously shown that as an Island Nation, there is a natural barrier to the virus. The virus is still out there, and by not learning from history (the Armada, Battle of Britain, rabies), will still circulate. Failure to close borders and use full quarantine for arrivals leads to a continuing drip feed of new cases.
Here is the article that is the catalyst to my thoughts.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/300012010/covid19-quarantine-measures-catch-
NZ allows a return to school on Monday, with social distancing of course. The difference is, that there is a possibility that NZ has zero unknown cases in circulation. Stay safe.
[Post edited 13 May 2020 23:31]

Yes it does seem ironic that after all the ‘now we can control our own borders’ rhetoric of Brexit, it appears little if anything has been done in this regard since the virus was brought in to UK. We still dont seem to have a date for starting quarantining arrivals.
Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 04:56 - May 14 with 1640 viewsdownunder

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 01:20 - May 14 by pioneer

Yes it does seem ironic that after all the ‘now we can control our own borders’ rhetoric of Brexit, it appears little if anything has been done in this regard since the virus was brought in to UK. We still dont seem to have a date for starting quarantining arrivals.

Just announced that we have had zero new cases for the third day running. We edge towards being clear. Still plenty of reports of flouting the " isolation rules", so we have our share of idiots and risk takers, but if the virus is stopped at source it cannot be spread anyway.
Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 05:29 - May 14 with 1630 viewsD_Alien

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 00:31 - May 14 by tony_roch975

I was apologising for a 'party' political point (satirical comment on those anti-immigrant voices who also pay tribute to dead NHS staff every Thursday, many of whom are from immigrant backgrounds)

That's fair enough, and my point about it being a scurrilous suggestion wasn't directed at your good self, rather at anyone who'd make it, and for the reasons i set out

It was an entirely reasonable debate up to that point, quite informative

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 07:04 - May 14 with 1610 viewsisitme

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 20:38 - May 13 by tony_roch975

So, if I've understood you correctly, both you and IsItMe accept there is a greater risk of transmission by pupils (and adults) in a school environment however difficult to quantify and I think you both lean on the side of that risk being worth it when contrasted with the alternate risk to the children's schooling and associated social and health issues? I assume you also would make the choice of workers in schools or parents to take part or not in the re-opening of schools entirely free of any compulsion - legal, financial or otherwise?

To answer your questions directly, although in reverse order:

1. In my opinion the choice to send their children back to school for the remainder of the school year should be voluntary. If parents have pre existing conditions and are uneasy, they should be able to make judgements. This was happening in the run up to schools being closed anyway, although from anecdotal evidence in small numbers. If teachers have a valid reason for not returning to work initially, then again this should be accommodated. The numbers of pupils returning to school should mean that not every teacher will be required into school, all of the time. In some settings staff may only need to be in schools part of the day. From September, which is nearly three and a half months away I would expect all staff and pupils to return to school, unless the number of deaths and new infections had not continued to fall and specific pupils/teachers were extremely vulnerable.

2. There is risk in everything. It would be naive to state that there is no increased risk in pupils (and adults) returning to school compared to staying at home. Again, in my opinion and based on the evidence I have seen I would suggest that the risk is minimal and therefore worth taking based on the benefits of children being back into school, which I have articulated elsewhere and would gladly do again. I look time and time again at who is suffering from the virus and in my opinion it achievable that some pupils can return to school in June, whilst minimising the risk to these at risk groups. As the links in my previous post highlighted there is even conjecture amongsts scientists as to whether children can transmit the disease.

I would expect there to be an increase in cases from the general loosing of restrictions that have already started and that are proposed from the beginning of June. This is inevitable, for obvious reasons and in countries that have started to come out of lock down the increase has been minimum and for a short time. Some of this will be attributed to children going back to school, but how much will be difficult to quantify.
Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 07:46 - May 14 with 1579 viewspioneer

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 04:56 - May 14 by downunder

Just announced that we have had zero new cases for the third day running. We edge towards being clear. Still plenty of reports of flouting the " isolation rules", so we have our share of idiots and risk takers, but if the virus is stopped at source it cannot be spread anyway.

Yes, but try telling Boris!
Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 11:17 - May 14 with 1495 viewsjonesy

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 21:57 - May 13 by tony_roch975

we don't want them over here (unless it's to die for us on the front line) - sorry DA, couldn't resist.

What an effing pathetic post. Ok let’s get a race argument going and end up with the whole topic being cancelled.
Login to get fewer ads

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 11:31 - May 14 with 1487 viewsTVOS1907

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 11:17 - May 14 by jonesy

What an effing pathetic post. Ok let’s get a race argument going and end up with the whole topic being cancelled.

He wasn't being serious. Read the subsequent posts.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 11:49 - May 14 with 1466 viewsD_Alien

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 11:31 - May 14 by TVOS1907

Correct, but it does illustrate how sensitive some of these issues are, and (without coming over all 442*) perhaps caution needs to be the watchword now

* I needed to be cautious not to post "Coming all over..." !!

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 12:19 - May 14 with 1437 views442Dale

Covering all aspects of being 442:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-calls-for-urgent-research-into-whether-mo

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 12:29 - May 14 with 1421 viewsDaleiLama

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 12:19 - May 14 by 442Dale

Covering all aspects of being 442:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-calls-for-urgent-research-into-whether-mo

So we have to gargle 2 x happy birthday to you as well as wash 2 x happy birthday to you?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 12:39 - May 14 with 1412 viewsJames1980

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 12:29 - May 14 by DaleiLama

So we have to gargle 2 x happy birthday to you as well as wash 2 x happy birthday to you?

The WHO, not the band, say we should wash our hands for 40 seconds.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 12:54 - May 14 with 1394 viewsDaleiLama

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 12:39 - May 14 by James1980

The WHO, not the band, say we should wash our hands for 40 seconds.

I think they mostly agree that the kids are alright though?

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 13:04 - May 14 with 1371 viewsD_Alien

Just as an aside, i have a theory about hay fever nasal sprays

I use one from about March to October, have done for 20-odd years (much more effective than anti-histamine tablets, and with no side effects)

It struck me that the formulation could help block entry of viruses through the nose. I've never had a cold during those months since i started using them

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 13:05 - May 14 with 1370 viewsJames1980

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 12:54 - May 14 by DaleiLama

I think they mostly agree that the kids are alright though?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 13:41 - May 14 with 1321 viewsjonesy

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 11:31 - May 14 by TVOS1907

Is it ok for me to put some posts on that I consider ”humorous ”?
Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 14:01 - May 14 with 1293 views442Dale

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 13:41 - May 14 by jonesy

If it adds to informative debate, why not?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 14:03 - May 14 with 1292 viewsTVOS1907

Yes

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 14:17 - May 14 with 1268 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 11:49 - May 14 by D_Alien

Correct, but it does illustrate how sensitive some of these issues are, and (without coming over all 442*) perhaps caution needs to be the watchword now

* I needed to be cautious not to post "Coming all over..." !!

Or how sensitive some people are “I am not racist but don’t mention foreigners “.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 14:38 - May 14 with 1244 viewsjonesy

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 14:03 - May 14 by TVOS1907

Yes

Ok, I will. But I am not telling you when, and you need to decide for yourself if it is a joke or not!
Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 14:46 - May 14 with 1233 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Yes, as long as the humour is post-modern, situationist and existentialist in form.
Or something about big knockers, I like them n’all.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 14:47 - May 14 with 1229 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 14:38 - May 14 by jonesy

Ok, I will. But I am not telling you when, and you need to decide for yourself if it is a joke or not!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 15:41 - May 14 with 1175 viewsjonesy

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 14:46 - May 14 by BigDaveMyCock

Yes, as long as the humour is post-modern, situationist and existentialist in form.

No problem 😃
Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 15:50 - May 14 with 1164 viewsDaleiLama

Boris update - Sunday 10th May at 7pm on 14:46 - May 14 by BigDaveMyCock

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024