Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Flood defences get green light 21:28 - May 21 with 1702 viewsJames1980

https://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/134602/multimill

Seems crazy that it has taken best part of 5 years to 'get the green light'. Surely the works should have been approved and completed by now.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Flood defences get green light on 06:36 - May 22 with 1574 viewssmaclad1

Five years is actually pretty good going for a major engineering project of this scale which involves several agencies and private land issues.

As ever, the media report gives no indication as to what sits behind this decision - no real criticism there as all it is doing is reporting on the grant of planning permission but it doesn't give you anything like the full picture. For an indication (and only a partial indication) as to what is actually involved you need to look at the detailed planning application and decision http://publicaccess.rochdale.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?ac

Following the Documents link takes you here - http://documents.rochdale.gov.uk/pav/planapp.aspx?MyQueryID=108&OBKey__705_1=20/ Scroll all the way through the documents to the bottom (and it's a long way down) and the Officers report sums up the planning considerations behind the scheme.

Beyond the planning and environmental modelling issues, there are then land access issues, legal, contractual and insurance issues, and the finances which need to be aligned to Environment Agency funding priorities and monies that Rochdale Council can find from its own resources and from elsewhere. And probably a million and one other things besides.

If I do anymore explaining of Rochdale Council's business on here I'm sending their PR department a bill!
Flood defences get green light on 12:14 - May 22 with 1427 viewsJames1980

Congratulations to them outperforming the normal times to agree such projects to go ahead.

Flood defences get green light on 12:57 - May 22 with 1395 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Flood defences get green light on 12:14 - May 22 by James1980

Congratulations to them outperforming the normal times to agree such projects to go ahead.

You were looking forward to a right good ill-informed whinge then n’all weren’t you?

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Flood defences get green light on 13:24 - May 22 with 1367 viewsJames1980

Flood defences get green light on 12:57 - May 22 by BigDaveMyCock

You were looking forward to a right good ill-informed whinge then n’all weren’t you?

Just because 5 years is better than the norm doesn't necessarily mean it is good though. Five years just to agree flood defences still seems a long time to me and if the majority of local authorities would have taken even longer than that, then that is far too long and inefficient.

Flood defences get green light on 14:32 - May 22 with 1314 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Flood defences get green light on 13:24 - May 22 by James1980

Just because 5 years is better than the norm doesn't necessarily mean it is good though. Five years just to agree flood defences still seems a long time to me and if the majority of local authorities would have taken even longer than that, then that is far too long and inefficient.

If you don’t know anything about it, how can 5 years seem too long to you?
Furthermore, if someone who does know something about it tells you that 5 years isn’t too long, why then still insist that it’s too long?
How would you do it quicker?
[Post edited 22 May 2020 14:33]

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Flood defences get green light on 14:55 - May 22 with 1286 viewsD_Alien

Unless i'm misinterpreting something here, the proposed changes to planning laws should help speed up future flood defence initiatives

https://www.insidehousing.co.uk/insight/insight/jenricks-planning-reforms-the-ke

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Flood defences get green light on 14:56 - May 22 with 1285 viewssmaclad1

Flood defences get green light on 13:24 - May 22 by James1980

I wasn't saying whether 5 years was efficient or inefficient - I was pointing out that there is more to flood alleviation than getting a bloke with a shovel to dig a big hole that you can divert water into.

Don't know if you bothered to look through the linked documents I posted earlier which represent only part of the process thathas been followed to get the scheme to this stage. Five years is a long time, especially if you are in the flood zone, but get it wrong and you either don't make a difference or you just transfer the problem elsewhere.

Notice you are quick to pin the blame on local authorities. Although the local authority fronts this up, it's the Environment Agency who are the key body in this process. And just to demonstrate again the complexity of these schemes, here's a link to a North Wales scheme that was held up for over two years while local landowners quibbled about compensation. Find a delay in a major infrastructure project and you usually find the private sector b*ggering about.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/more-delays-conwy-valley-flood
Flood defences get green light on 15:57 - May 22 with 1242 viewssmaclad1

Flood defences get green light on 14:55 - May 22 by D_Alien

Unless i'm misinterpreting something here, the proposed changes to planning laws should help speed up future flood defence initiatives

https://www.insidehousing.co.uk/insight/insight/jenricks-planning-reforms-the-ke

I think the March proposals were mostly about speeding up planning around house building.

Whatever, when politicians talk about speeding up planning they usually mean reducing public consultation and accountability, reducing the technical and environmental requirements of planning proposals, and reducing the regulatory oversight of proposed development. Which is why the speeding up of the planning process is always so well supported by the private sector.
Login to get fewer ads

Flood defences get green light on 16:41 - May 22 with 1209 viewsD_Alien

Flood defences get green light on 15:57 - May 22 by smaclad1

I think the March proposals were mostly about speeding up planning around house building.

Whatever, when politicians talk about speeding up planning they usually mean reducing public consultation and accountability, reducing the technical and environmental requirements of planning proposals, and reducing the regulatory oversight of proposed development. Which is why the speeding up of the planning process is always so well supported by the private sector.

Oh i agree, and there are swings and roundabouts with the planned legislation that will no doubt please some but disadvantage others. Our plannings laws do seem unnecessarily cumbersome though, and in order to get the number of new homes built that everyone expects the government to crack on with, some changes are probably necessary

My take on it is that the proposed legislation will help with speedier procurement of land not classified as protected, which might also help expedite the completion of flood defences

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024