Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Retained list 11:18 - Jun 10 with 12521 viewsDaleEdchup

I presume we will hear this soon now that the season has concluded. Who are we all hoping stays?

Cheers

DaleEdChup (78)
Retained list on 11:58 - Jun 14 with 2964 viewsboromat

Retained list on 07:39 - Jun 14 by isitme

It is a set cap, not a set amount per player:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52738597

Theoretically a team could pay a lot more on a few players and others in its squad less, or rely more on'non senior' players/loan signings etc.

That's the one my mistake. £2.5m total or £1.25m total.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Retained list on 17:01 - Jun 14 with 2592 viewsYadHoDale

Do *home grown" players have to have continuous service with the Club to count in the eight? Or would the likes of Jamie Allen, Andy Cannon and Matt Gilks qualify? Or Dan Adshead/Luke Matheson if back on loan? Or if its a "no other football league club" rule, Sam Minihan and Nyal Bell (both regulars in a Stockport side that finished 7th in the National League, so presumably have something about them)?

Not particularly advocating signing any of these - just trying to clarify things!
Retained list on 17:46 - Jun 14 with 2526 viewsisitme

It will be interesting to see what constitutes a 'home grown' player. Having eight players over the age of 21/20 who have been developed by the club's academy would be extremely difficult, especially initially. It would also place a significant wage premium on these players for their current club. How would someone like Rathbone, or Rafferty have been classed? How many seasons do they have to be at the club to be classed as 'home grown'. I think in the premier league there are two categories developed in the country and then club developed, although bizzarely a Spaniard could be signed at 18 and by the time they are 21 be classed as home grown and club developed.
Retained list on 18:29 - Jun 14 with 2468 viewsboromat

Retained list on 17:46 - Jun 14 by isitme

It will be interesting to see what constitutes a 'home grown' player. Having eight players over the age of 21/20 who have been developed by the club's academy would be extremely difficult, especially initially. It would also place a significant wage premium on these players for their current club. How would someone like Rathbone, or Rafferty have been classed? How many seasons do they have to be at the club to be classed as 'home grown'. I think in the premier league there are two categories developed in the country and then club developed, although bizzarely a Spaniard could be signed at 18 and by the time they are 21 be classed as home grown and club developed.

The other problem with this is it goes against our wish as a club to sell these players for a profit as we might find ourselves having to keep hold of them to meet this rule.

It would put a larger emphasis on keeping our youngsters for longer. The integration squad would be key and we might see us be more patient than we have with some of the youth team products. First year pros being given 3 year contracts etc.

Retained list on 18:30 - Jun 14 with 2463 viewsNorthernDale

I thought home grown in the premiership was British born, rather then developed through the youth system. How many teams could have four or more players developed through their youth system at anyone time. I read it as you can have only 20 players aged 21 or over, but their is no limit on the number of players aged under 21, I may be wrong.

I wonder if BBM as been looking at potential players or have been talking to potential signings already.
Retained list on 18:34 - Jun 14 with 2444 viewsisitme

Retained list on 18:30 - Jun 14 by NorthernDale

I thought home grown in the premiership was British born, rather then developed through the youth system. How many teams could have four or more players developed through their youth system at anyone time. I read it as you can have only 20 players aged 21 or over, but their is no limit on the number of players aged under 21, I may be wrong.

I wonder if BBM as been looking at potential players or have been talking to potential signings already.

That's the strange thing. They need four players trained at clubs in England between the ages of 18-21 and then four club trained, which is supposed to encourage the development of English players but as I mentioned earlier these players can be of any nationality to be classed as 'home grown'.

I'm not sure what the proposed rule actually will be. It will be interesting how it will play out logistically.

That's the way I read the rules and the players under 21 don't count towards the cap (although I may have understood this part).
[Post edited 14 Jun 2020 18:47]
Retained list on 22:16 - Jun 14 with 2202 viewsboromat

Retained list on 18:30 - Jun 14 by NorthernDale

Yeah true it does depend on their definition of 'home grown'.

Retained list on 07:15 - Jun 15 with 2045 viewsTalkingSutty

Retained list on 18:29 - Jun 14 by boromat

The other problem with this is it goes against our wish as a club to sell these players for a profit as we might find ourselves having to keep hold of them to meet this rule.

It would put a larger emphasis on keeping our youngsters for longer. The integration squad would be key and we might see us be more patient than we have with some of the youth team products. First year pros being given 3 year contracts etc.

Your last paragraph is a interesting one...had we done that over the last 10 years would we have benefitted on the pitch to the extent that we have? How many of our youth players have we released who have then gone on to flourish at the same or a higher level, I can’t really think of any. That indicates to me that just extending their time at the Club will be a futile exercise and cost the Club money, if they aren’t good enough then they aren’t good enough
[Post edited 15 Jun 2020 8:20]
Login to get fewer ads

Retained list on 12:40 - Jun 15 with 1840 viewsboromat

Retained list on 07:15 - Jun 15 by TalkingSutty

Your last paragraph is a interesting one...had we done that over the last 10 years would we have benefitted on the pitch to the extent that we have? How many of our youth players have we released who have then gone on to flourish at the same or a higher level, I can’t really think of any. That indicates to me that just extending their time at the Club will be a futile exercise and cost the Club money, if they aren’t good enough then they aren’t good enough

Very true and so if home grown does mean through the clubs academy you could argue it'll mean a reduction in the quality of our squad unless we start developing a larger amount of players that are capable of playing at League One level.

Retained list on 17:40 - Jun 15 with 1443 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Retained list on 07:15 - Jun 15 by TalkingSutty

Other than Scott Hogan none come to mind

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Retained list on 17:59 - Jun 15 with 1399 viewsboromat

Retained list on 17:40 - Jun 15 by Thacks_Rabbits

Other than Scott Hogan none come to mind

Maybe Conor Ronan?

Retained list on 18:58 - Jun 15 with 1279 viewsChaffRAFC

Retained list on 17:59 - Jun 15 by boromat

Maybe Conor Ronan?

We didn't release Connor, Wolves paid £100,000 for him.

I can't really think of a single YTS that we have released who's gone onto level standard or higher apart from Hogan and that was very much via non-league before we signed him back.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024