Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ian Henderson on facebook 11:59 - Jun 20 with 35019 viewsjudd

To find out my 7 1/2 year association with AFC Rochdale was coming to an end via social media was a shock to say the least. I only received an email yesterday morning confirming that the offer the club had previously made to extend my contract was being retracted and I was therefore being released. I am not just shocked but unbelievably upset and disappointed to have found this out in this manner. It was always my intention to try and stay at Rochdale and make it to my testimonial year and try and become the all time top scorer of the football club.

I had been in negotiations with the football club, for some time, regarding an extension prior to the covid-19 pandemic but if I am honest the lines of communication were extremely inconsistent to say the least. I was not trying to ask for more money than what the club was offering and we ended up at a stand-off over some minor details. The negotiations became protracted and it became clear I was not being told the full truth. I would have thought with all that I have given to this football club over those 7 1/2 years would have meant I would have been treated with a level of respect, the same level of respect I have always shown them.

Anyway, unfortunately I will now be leaving a football club, so dear to mine and my family’s heart, but not in the way I had dreamed and envisioned it ending.

Finally I would like to thank the incredible supporters who I have always had such a special relationship and affinity with and I hope I have brought some happiness and joy to you throughout my time with the football club. I can leave knowing I left all that I could give out there on the football pitch and with my head held high. I am big enough to take things on the chin and one thing this current pandemic has shown us all is life is too short and precious and therefore I will not hold a grudge. Up the Dale.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:01 - Jun 20 with 8787 viewsjacko_dale

Some way to treat a club legend.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:04 - Jun 20 with 8723 viewsfitzochris

Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:01 - Jun 20 by jacko_dale

Some way to treat a club legend.

Two sides to every story etc etc

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:06 - Jun 20 with 8713 viewskel

I don’t get involved with the board bashing on here because some of it is way over the top but that, if true, is indefensible. A disgusting way to treat anybody in any line of work, let alone a club legend.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:07 - Jun 20 with 8683 viewsoddjob007

taking the point about a testimonial year - sounds like he wanted a 3 year contract on the same money and we weren’t prepared to give him one.

Big shame if that is the case.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:07 - Jun 20 with 8680 viewsjacko_dale

Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:04 - Jun 20 by fitzochris

Should've prefaced that with "if true", aye.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:11 - Jun 20 with 8629 viewsD_Alien

I'd be interested to hear what the "minor details" were

Perhaps they weren't so minor, if they proved a stumbling block?

I'm not defending either party here, but not agreeing to "minor details" by either party leading to this apparent travesty just doesn't sound quite right

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:12 - Jun 20 with 8634 views100notout

Agree and I'd love to hear the Boards side.

If the differences were so minor why did that stop him agreeing a new deal?

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:12 - Jun 20 with 8621 viewsfitzochris

I think this line is the most interesting...

“I was not trying to ask for more money than what the club was offering and we ended up at a stand-off over some minor details. The negotiations became protracted and it became clear I was not being told the full truth.”

The last bit is a quite an accusation.

My understanding is that he wanted a three-year deal on decent money and the club would/could only offer two. This has been going back and forth since before Christmas.

It would be very interesting to hear what else went on, but we probably won’t.

Login to get fewer ads

Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:12 - Jun 20 with 8627 viewsisitme

I wonder what these 'minor details' were? Whilst I am disappointed he has left I suspect he has turned down a decent offer from the club and that maybe some other offers are not currently there due to financial uncertainties, management changes and the potential introduction of a salary cap.

I'm sure a deal could be still be reached if all parties wanted to.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:12 - Jun 20 with 8626 viewsNewbury_Dale

He's had ample opportunity to extend if he really wanted to.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:15 - Jun 20 with 8583 viewsD_Alien

Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:12 - Jun 20 by isitme

I wonder what these 'minor details' were? Whilst I am disappointed he has left I suspect he has turned down a decent offer from the club and that maybe some other offers are not currently there due to financial uncertainties, management changes and the potential introduction of a salary cap.

Re your last point - his very public statement sounded like a bridge completely burnt

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:16 - Jun 20 with 8568 viewsfunkkk

And we've now heard both sides.

I can accept the club not wanting to jepordise our financial future but there's a level of respect required which seems to have been lacking.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:17 - Jun 20 with 8535 viewsnordenblue

Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:12 - Jun 20 by isitme

The "minor details" could well be the extra year he wanted, in real terms the equivalent of upwards of £200k
Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:18 - Jun 20 with 8549 viewsDaleyBrent

Speechless. I wouldn’t be surprised if BBM ends up walking if this carries on.

Just as the board we’re getting us in their side they score this unfathomable own goal. Stuff like this makes me hugely question their stance on Altman and a few other things.

I’m so frustrated and angry with this it’s untrue.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:18 - Jun 20 with 8527 viewsnordenblue

Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:15 - Jun 20 by D_Alien

Re your last point - his very public statement sounded like a bridge completely burnt

you have pm
Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:18 - Jun 20 with 8540 views100notout

Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:17 - Jun 20 by nordenblue

The "minor details" could well be the extra year he wanted, in real terms the equivalent of upwards of £200k

So not very minor then ( as you suggest)

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:20 - Jun 20 with 8515 viewsSaxonDale

It's difficult to judge the contract issues without knowing the full story IMO. However, I think it's a disgrace about the way he was told. BBM/Bothamley should have gone above and beyond to thank him for his service and at least have the decency to call him. It's piss-poor that arguably our 2 best players of the last 2 decades in him and Jones have both left under a cloud.

I understand there are always 2 sides to a story, but unfortunately Henderson's is the only one I presume will come out. Whether we like it or not, he's got as much reach to fellow League players as anyone through his Herbalife work- and that's before the press inevitably get hold of it. This really doesn't make the club look good.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2020 12:22]
Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:23 - Jun 20 with 8449 viewsfitzochris

Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:20 - Jun 20 by SaxonDale

It's difficult to judge the contract issues without knowing the full story IMO. However, I think it's a disgrace about the way he was told. BBM/Bothamley should have gone above and beyond to thank him for his service and at least have the decency to call him. It's piss-poor that arguably our 2 best players of the last 2 decades in him and Jones have both left under a cloud.

I understand there are always 2 sides to a story, but unfortunately Henderson's is the only one I presume will come out. Whether we like it or not, he's got as much reach to fellow League players as anyone through his Herbalife work- and that's before the press inevitably get hold of it. This really doesn't make the club look good.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2020 12:22]

Maybe BBM found out at the same times as Henderson? Maybe BBM isn’t happy with some of the released list?

I think the pandemic has but a lot of strain on the relationship between playing staff and the board.

Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:24 - Jun 20 with 8454 viewsisitme

Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:15 - Jun 20 by D_Alien

It does, although the final offer from us might be better than what is now on offer elsewhere. How many players in the twilight of their careers are going to get a three year deal from a lower league club with the financial climate, uncertainties of when the new season with actually start and the potential of a salary cap.

Would Salford offer him a 3 year deal on 4,000 a week when in year two of his contract he is taking up nearly 20% of their salary cap?
Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:24 - Jun 20 with 8441 views442Dale

We need to hear the manager talking about his playing squad and the changes to it.

It is not for anyone else at the club to comment, supporters deserve to hear from the manager.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:26 - Jun 20 with 8400 viewsnordenblue

Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:12 - Jun 20 by Newbury_Dale

He's had ample opportunity to extend if he really wanted to.

You could flip that and say the clubs had ample opportunity to agree a suitable contract too,and at the very least let him know in a decent manner?
Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:27 - Jun 20 with 8395 viewssweetcorn

This board really knows how to treat its all time greats.

First they f**k Hill around with their statement backing him only to sack him 4 days later and now this with henderson, never has my interest in Dale been lower..

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:27 - Jun 20 with 8389 viewsboromat

"I was not being told the whole truth"

Tell us about it Ian! Seems to be an ever increasing issue at the club.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:29 - Jun 20 with 8358 viewsrochedale

Regardless of what the finer details were, the fact that he’s found out about his own destiny via social media rather than in person, absolutely stinks.

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:30 - Jun 20 with 8334 viewsjudd

Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:27 - Jun 20 by sweetcorn

This board really knows how to treat its all time greats.

First they f**k Hill around with their statement backing him only to sack him 4 days later and now this with henderson, never has my interest in Dale been lower..

Don't forget the shameful treatment of Chris Dunphy.

Poll: What is it to be then?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024