Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Grant Holt Interview 08:55 - Jun 25 with 2883 viewsWellDoneMichael

Thought you guys might like this - good listen of Grant Holt talking about his career:

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/well-done-michael-hes-13/id1512125760

Hope you enjoy
Grant Holt Interview on 10:01 - Jun 25 with 2773 viewsroccydaleian

Good article on Peter Vincenti here too .
https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/voices/2020/06/22/football-theres-no-point-gi
Grant Holt Interview on 11:21 - Jun 25 with 2664 viewsYadHoDale

Grant Holt Interview on 10:01 - Jun 25 by roccydaleian

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/voices/2020/06/22/football-theres-no-point-gi

An excellent aericle on Peter V. Thanks for posting the link.
Grant Holt Interview on 13:41 - Jun 25 with 2435 viewskrafty80

Grant Holt Interview on 11:21 - Jun 25 by YadHoDale

An excellent aericle on Peter V. Thanks for posting the link.

Agreed, great piece on Vincenti. I wonder if Hill was the manager who took umbridge at him starting an MBA? It wouldn't be a surprise since the second half of Pete's Dale career would broadly coincide with Hill turning his back on 'footballing them to death' and becoming rather more defensive both on and off the park.

The Sol Campbell 'no comment' is pretty damning too for that matter.

More importantly, there have been a few comments on this forum recently about the release of Calvin Andrew and how it's a luxury to have a player on the books who's good at community work, schools engagement etc. I really disagree: I would argue we cannot afford NOT to have one player at least who is especially strong at community liaison work.

This is what fosters the goodwill value of the club and its brand (every company's set of accounts will have a value ascribed to 'goodwill' so reputation can mean money). I would argue that it is especially important for a club like ours to put proper backing into this side of its activity, because it enhances the reputation of the whole town and forges that link between club and community. None of us need to be told that the reputation of Rochdale as a town is not the best in society at large, even if we are all rightly proud Daleys.

I would have no problem with the first team budget having a small percentage allocated to players who perform strongly in this area. After all, nothing compares to a first team player when it comes to making a statement in local schools and businesses -- and that is not a criticism of the brilliant work that club community employees obviously do. On the other hand, a player who is clearly going through the motions and is just there because he's been told he has to do a given trip out or whatever is really counterproductive.

I am not suggesting we should have retained Calvin on this basis, but I also don't think fans should see players' contribution to the club purely in terms of on field performance. It isn't a 'luxury' to have people like Vincenti and Calvin Andrew around to enhance the long term community value of the club IMHO.
Grant Holt Interview on 13:43 - Jun 25 with 2431 viewsmidlandsdale

How many words on Dale! More from the interviewer
Grant Holt Interview on 13:50 - Jun 25 with 2403 viewsD_Alien

Grant Holt Interview on 13:41 - Jun 25 by krafty80

Agreed, great piece on Vincenti. I wonder if Hill was the manager who took umbridge at him starting an MBA? It wouldn't be a surprise since the second half of Pete's Dale career would broadly coincide with Hill turning his back on 'footballing them to death' and becoming rather more defensive both on and off the park.

The Sol Campbell 'no comment' is pretty damning too for that matter.

More importantly, there have been a few comments on this forum recently about the release of Calvin Andrew and how it's a luxury to have a player on the books who's good at community work, schools engagement etc. I really disagree: I would argue we cannot afford NOT to have one player at least who is especially strong at community liaison work.

This is what fosters the goodwill value of the club and its brand (every company's set of accounts will have a value ascribed to 'goodwill' so reputation can mean money). I would argue that it is especially important for a club like ours to put proper backing into this side of its activity, because it enhances the reputation of the whole town and forges that link between club and community. None of us need to be told that the reputation of Rochdale as a town is not the best in society at large, even if we are all rightly proud Daleys.

I would have no problem with the first team budget having a small percentage allocated to players who perform strongly in this area. After all, nothing compares to a first team player when it comes to making a statement in local schools and businesses -- and that is not a criticism of the brilliant work that club community employees obviously do. On the other hand, a player who is clearly going through the motions and is just there because he's been told he has to do a given trip out or whatever is really counterproductive.

I am not suggesting we should have retained Calvin on this basis, but I also don't think fans should see players' contribution to the club purely in terms of on field performance. It isn't a 'luxury' to have people like Vincenti and Calvin Andrew around to enhance the long term community value of the club IMHO.

Completely agree krafty - providing the player is capable of holding down a place in the squad then having other qualities means they're contributing to the club as a community asset. Plus, not every player is going to be pencilled in as a likely starter every week

It's important these players are appreciated, not denigrated

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Grant Holt Interview on 13:56 - Jun 25 with 2395 viewsMass_Debater

Grant Holt Interview on 13:43 - Jun 25 by midlandsdale

How many words on Dale! More from the interviewer

How many do you want? It's not an interview about his Dale career.
Grant Holt Interview on 15:02 - Jun 25 with 2291 viewsWellDoneMichael

What did you guys think of Holt? Seem to be proper kickstart of his career?
Grant Holt Interview on 17:14 - Jun 25 with 2156 viewssuffolkdale

Grant Holt Interview on 10:01 - Jun 25 by roccydaleian

A really interesting article on PV, a charming man and intelligent footballer.
I too remember the 2-3 away win at Leyton Orient, it was particularly sweet after all the years of defeat at Brisbane Road! For me it is up there with the 0-2 win at Southampton.
Login to get fewer ads

Grant Holt Interview on 17:43 - Jun 25 with 2105 viewsSuddenLad

I was offered a lift to that 2-3 game and pondered it, but I declined. Brisbane Road was, well, 'just one of those places'. I still had/have the 8-0 defeat burned into my memory and a serious 5-0 home drubbing with Steve Castle scoring a bag full. Our games against Orient were almost written off from a fans point of view in those days. A bit like Gilingham fans when it's Rochdale away day.

That result showed us something about that squad that previous squads had been a bit short of. Togetherness, fight and playing for each other as a TEAM. Brilliant result in the circumstances and I'm sure that those who were there, will never forget it. Where are they now? Amazing how quickly fortunes can turn.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Grant Holt Interview on 17:43 - Jun 25 with 2105 viewsjonahwhereru

Grant Holt Interview on 17:14 - Jun 25 by suffolkdale

A really interesting article on PV, a charming man and intelligent footballer.
I too remember the 2-3 away win at Leyton Orient, it was particularly sweet after all the years of defeat at Brisbane Road! For me it is up there with the 0-2 win at Southampton.

Have to agree the Orient game was a massive feel good day. Loved the day as after we lost Eastam and went behind the result and performance were just so unexpected. Done was brilliant as a lone striker. Literally running himself into the ground chasing every ball and pressing the defenders. I have never heard an away player applauded off like Done was by the home fans when he was spent and eventually replaced.
Amazing how PV morphed into a right niggly irritating gobshite, often getting booked, when he was on the pitch, because away from it he is a top top bloke. I voted for him for player of the year season.
The world could do with more people like him.
Grant Holt Interview on 18:10 - Jun 25 with 2064 views442Dale

“ Keith Hill and Chris Beech were brilliant in my first two years at Rochdale. Tactically it was very good and enjoyable and we would often outplay and outrun teams. The dynamics in that first year were perfect. We almost had a work-hard play-hard attitude and it suited us. Towards the end of my second year things started to change and I think the dynamics did as well.”

That would be after the 14/15 season. Interesting insight.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Grant Holt Interview on 09:18 - Jun 27 with 1715 viewsseasidedale

Thing is hill and beech only managed Holt for 6 month, we signed him in January until end of the season, so don’t know if he got muddled there
Grant Holt Interview on 09:31 - Jun 27 with 1691 viewsSaxonDale

Grant Holt Interview on 09:18 - Jun 27 by seasidedale

Thing is hill and beech only managed Holt for 6 month, we signed him in January until end of the season, so don’t know if he got muddled there

442 was referring to Vincenti's article.
Grant Holt Interview on 10:48 - Jun 27 with 1638 viewsWellDoneMichael

Hi guys - thanks to everyone who listened - I hope you enjoyed it...with your support we have now made it in to the Top 10 in the football podcast charts!

https://chartable.com/charts/itunes/gb-football-podcasts

Please let me know if any guests you would love us to interview? Ricky Lambert? Chris Beech?

Cheers again guys - have a great weekend!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024