Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Liverpool win it. 08:45 - Jun 26 with 3704 viewsChesham_Saint

At the risk of introducing a football related post to the Board, surely the question of the day should be how we feel about the Scallies 30 year wait being over?

I know Toffs and Nick will be on opposite sides here, but jet’s hope they can have a mature debate without calling each other fascists merely because they disagree....

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Liverpool win it. on 08:53 - Jun 26 with 1865 viewsBoris_

If Liverpool HAD to win the league then doing it when they aren't playing, in front of no fans, unable to even celebrate together and the pubs being shut is definitely the next best thing.

Poll: Claude Puel

Liverpool win it. on 08:53 - Jun 26 with 1874 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Liverpool win it. on 08:53 - Jun 26 by Boris_

If Liverpool HAD to win the league then doing it when they aren't playing, in front of no fans, unable to even celebrate together and the pubs being shut is definitely the next best thing.

This. I've avoided all TV and media as they are no doubt w*nking themselves silly.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Liverpool win it. on 08:57 - Jun 26 with 1867 viewsChesham_Saint

Liverpool win it. on 08:53 - Jun 26 by Boris_

That’s my take too. I know they’re deserved champs really, but I’ve discovered already that if you say to their supporters about it not being quite right or tainted they get vey aerated, very quickly.

So Nick: They won it...but, well, not really. Not fair and square like Leicester did....

Liverpool win it. on 08:58 - Jun 26 with 1864 viewsTripleNiemi

Aside from this post i will not be commenting any further on this thread for fear of receiving a black mark against my name.

I was going to proceed in congratulating Les et al for all they achieved but what's the point.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2020 8:59]

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Liverpool win it. on 09:14 - Jun 26 with 1837 viewssolent_toffee

Yeah thanks for bringing this up :)

I’m strangely not arsed about it. The last few I’m well versed to the unbridled biased coverage of Sky and their desperation for them to win it. Their ‘fans’ are in the main nothing more then customers who I don’t relate to.

There’s a lot more going on in my life/the country/the world to get worked up about than those glory seeking whoppers.
Liverpool win it. on 09:36 - Jun 26 with 1809 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Liverpool win it. on 09:14 - Jun 26 by solent_toffee

I’m strangely not arsed about it. The last few I’m well versed to the unbridled biased coverage of Sky and their desperation for them to win it. Their ‘fans’ are in the main nothing more then customers who I don’t relate to.

There’s a lot more going on in my life/the country/the world to get worked up about than those glory seeking whoppers.

This.

Liverpool win it. on 09:45 - Jun 26 with 1798 viewssolent_toffee

Also someone sent me this link earlier. As if there was ever any doubt of Sky’s loyalty to the luvvables....

https://mobile.twitter.com/SkySports/status/1276213820160172032
Liverpool win it. on 09:45 - Jun 26 with 1797 viewsdirk_doone

To be honest, the biggest media coverage I can ever recall for a team winning the Premier League was when Leicester won it. They even had hours of live coverage of their victory parade on the main TV channels.

In terms of match footage, the one that gets shown most often is when Arsenal won the title at Anfield. That is still getting shown regularly.

The truth is that until recently, Liverpool and Manchester United were as big in English football as Celtic and Rangers are in Scotland, and when another team broke their monopoly it was very big news and got much more media coverage than when they won it.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2020 9:55]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Liverpool win it. on 09:48 - Jun 26 with 1790 viewsSaintNick

Liverpool win it. on 09:14 - Jun 26 by solent_toffee

I can see what ST is saying about their fans being merely customers who he doesn't relate to, but that is not totally correct, he knows that Liverpool FC has just as many supporters who live on Merseyside who he can relate to, in fact have more to be hacked off about about "customers" than he does, having seen their club become global and they find it hard to get tickets etc

But they can't just turn away from supporting Liverpool and support someone else.

Look at the celebrations in Liverpool last night, not Norwegians, Irishmen or Japanese on their one visit to Anfield, but the old school Liverpool fans most of whom are brothers, father,s, cousins , husbands, wives etc of Everton supporters to whom he does relate, what is the difference ?

The difference is Liverpool have become a global brand and have eclipsed Everton and a massive gap now exists, Everton fans dont like it but nor do the Liverpool fans who find themselves unable to get tickets for Cup finals as they are put to ballot and a man fromTokyo has the same chance of going to what will be his first game as does a Liverpool fan who hasn't missed a game all season.

Personally I have to declare an interest, but it is an interest not a passion, if Saints play Liverpool there is only one team I support, I raised a glass to my Father and Grandfather, who waited virtually there whole lives for Liverpool to win their first FA Cup and who both died before Liverpool 70's glory.

I watched Liverpool "Legends" Carragher, Thompson & Dalglish interviewed all clearly well refreshed and at times near tears and I wondered if we won another trophy would our so called legends be in the same state of euphoria, Le Tiss and Franny yes, but i'm hard pressed to find another.

Thats what I want for Saints that sort of passion from those who manage and play for us, Jurgen Klopp was emotional and had to end his interview as he was overcome with emotion, clearly not faked and he was in tears, I want that from our managers, I think with Hasenhuttl we might have it, but name me another who would be in the same state, yes we would find a few ex players who would crawl out the woodwork, but not so emotionally charged as these.

Liverpool supporters cherish their history, they create an emotional bond with all who play or manage, we don't !

So what i saw last night and I think deep down so did everyone else was what we all want for our clubs, minus the "worldwide greatest ever Liverpool fans armchair supporters" what I felt was jealousy that we don't have that passion, would Liverpool fans have sat back and seen their greatest ever player banned from the ground without a whimper ? again I think we know the answer.

I will be as hacked off as anyone as I see someone from Oslo boasting about his club etc, but I was pleased for all the lads I know who live up there who have followed the team for years and were emotional last night as they have waited a long time.

I'm sure that if Solent Toffee looks hard the next time he is in Liverpool he will see them and those like them and he can relate to them, after all they are all related to Everton fans and live next door to them, there is no difference between them as people only the colour of their team.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Liverpool win it. on 09:54 - Jun 26 with 1778 viewsRednWight

They’ve won it
They are now up there with Blackburn Rovers and Leicester having one it once
Hopefully it’s stays at one forever

The older I get the better I was
Poll: Cortese. Would we have him back

Liverpool win it. on 09:55 - Jun 26 with 1776 viewssolent_toffee

Liverpool win it. on 09:48 - Jun 26 by SaintNick

I can see what ST is saying about their fans being merely customers who he doesn't relate to, but that is not totally correct, he knows that Liverpool FC has just as many supporters who live on Merseyside who he can relate to, in fact have more to be hacked off about about "customers" than he does, having seen their club become global and they find it hard to get tickets etc

But they can't just turn away from supporting Liverpool and support someone else.

Look at the celebrations in Liverpool last night, not Norwegians, Irishmen or Japanese on their one visit to Anfield, but the old school Liverpool fans most of whom are brothers, father,s, cousins , husbands, wives etc of Everton supporters to whom he does relate, what is the difference ?

The difference is Liverpool have become a global brand and have eclipsed Everton and a massive gap now exists, Everton fans dont like it but nor do the Liverpool fans who find themselves unable to get tickets for Cup finals as they are put to ballot and a man fromTokyo has the same chance of going to what will be his first game as does a Liverpool fan who hasn't missed a game all season.

Personally I have to declare an interest, but it is an interest not a passion, if Saints play Liverpool there is only one team I support, I raised a glass to my Father and Grandfather, who waited virtually there whole lives for Liverpool to win their first FA Cup and who both died before Liverpool 70's glory.

I watched Liverpool "Legends" Carragher, Thompson & Dalglish interviewed all clearly well refreshed and at times near tears and I wondered if we won another trophy would our so called legends be in the same state of euphoria, Le Tiss and Franny yes, but i'm hard pressed to find another.

Thats what I want for Saints that sort of passion from those who manage and play for us, Jurgen Klopp was emotional and had to end his interview as he was overcome with emotion, clearly not faked and he was in tears, I want that from our managers, I think with Hasenhuttl we might have it, but name me another who would be in the same state, yes we would find a few ex players who would crawl out the woodwork, but not so emotionally charged as these.

Liverpool supporters cherish their history, they create an emotional bond with all who play or manage, we don't !

So what i saw last night and I think deep down so did everyone else was what we all want for our clubs, minus the "worldwide greatest ever Liverpool fans armchair supporters" what I felt was jealousy that we don't have that passion, would Liverpool fans have sat back and seen their greatest ever player banned from the ground without a whimper ? again I think we know the answer.

I will be as hacked off as anyone as I see someone from Oslo boasting about his club etc, but I was pleased for all the lads I know who live up there who have followed the team for years and were emotional last night as they have waited a long time.

I'm sure that if Solent Toffee looks hard the next time he is in Liverpool he will see them and those like them and he can relate to them, after all they are all related to Everton fans and live next door to them, there is no difference between them as people only the colour of their team.

The difference between me and them as you put it, is that I get up at 6am every other Saturday to drive 230 miles to watch my team, whilst they turn on the telly to watch theirs.

I have a nephew who is a red, season ticket holder, goes loads of away games. Great lad, who I am pleased for. That’s as far as it goes.

It’s certainly not jealousy, I wouldn’t change being an Evertonian for the world.
Liverpool win it. on 09:55 - Jun 26 with 1776 viewsChesham_Saint

The thing is Nick, They didn’t really want it “properly” though, did they...

Liverpool win it. on 10:09 - Jun 26 with 1754 viewsdirk_doone

Nick, to compare the attitude of our fans and ex-players to Liverpool's is ridiculous. They have won 48 major trophies; we have won 1.

How on earth do you expect our fans and ex-players to celebrate being in the bottom half of the table like Liverpool's are celebrating winning the league? Even Liverpool's fans wouldn't celebrate that. They'd be moaning like hell about the owners, the team and the manager.

I remember that in the years immediately after we won our one and only trophy in 1976, our fans were among the noisiest, most passionate and most fanatical in the land. There was not a noisier ground in the country than the Dell in 1977. That's what winning a trophy does. If we'd won 48 of them, we'd have the most loyal and passionate fans in the country and if Liverpool had won just 1 cup 44 years ago, they'd have fewer loyal fans and be much quieter and less passionate than our fans, as they were in the 1976 Charity Shield in spite of the fact they'd won the league.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2020 10:57]

Liverpool win it. on 10:24 - Jun 26 with 1719 viewskingslandstand1

Liverpool win it. on 08:53 - Jun 26 by Gennaro_Contaldo

This. I've avoided all TV and media as they are no doubt w*nking themselves silly.

I heard Alan Brazil at 6.15 this morning and he said they will be rproviding coverage of it all day - so Planet Rock it is (with a break gor Popmaster )
Liverpool win it. on 10:31 - Jun 26 with 1704 viewskingslandstand1

Liverpool win it. on 09:45 - Jun 26 by solent_toffee

Also someone sent me this link earlier. As if there was ever any doubt of Sky’s loyalty to the luvvables....

https://mobile.twitter.com/SkySports/status/1276213820160172032

Well said Solent
Liverpool win it. on 10:47 - Jun 26 with 1694 viewsSaintsforeverj

I think the comments regarding our fans are misplaced. Nobody knows how the city would react if we won the league. The pitch invasion when Saints were promoted against Coventry was just as passionate as anything I have seen. No, we don't jump on bus stops and throw flares around (but who knows what we would do if we won 48 trophies), but guaranteed we would be just as passionate, if Saints won the league or even a cup.

You can't compare our fans to theirs. We are long suffering and they win trophies every year. Nobody knows what the scenes would be if we won a load of trophies.

So Carrager / Thompson / Souness sit outside their swimming pools in his mansion to celebrate Liverpool winning another trophy. That doesn't impress me in the slightest. Well, I can imagine Benali celebrating with Le Tiss next to all his charity medals. And Ralph would cry guaranteed.

And Liverpool winning the league - Although certainly deserved this year, it's no more achievement than Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd who all spend big. They spend big and all take turns to win the league. And their fans think it is great because they win their 100th trophy. Well the Leicester title was special. The others are just expected.

I want to see passionate celebrations form our fans too. As I'm sure Watford, Brighton, West Brom, Stoke fans do. But, the team needs to win a few trophies first. It's easy to be passionate about your club, when you know they are the best team in the world. Our fans would be the same if we were consistently the best in the world.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2020 10:56]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Liverpool win it. on 10:58 - Jun 26 with 1657 viewsBoris_

Jesus christ Nick, why don't you just admit you support Liverpool and set up a YNWAJFT96 message board?

Poll: Claude Puel

Liverpool win it. on 11:12 - Jun 26 with 1653 viewsSaintsforeverj

Liverpool win it. on 10:58 - Jun 26 by Boris_

Jesus christ Nick, why don't you just admit you support Liverpool and set up a YNWAJFT96 message board?

Agreed. Southampton Football Club is a f@cking incredible club to support and will support them and them only until the end of time. I would support and big up the club to any other fan. I'm proud of supporting the Saints. Liverpool and any other team can F.. Off. I would hate bowing to idiots like VD, Mane and Co anyway. I would rather watch Saints in 6th division than support those over paid arrogant idiots. How is that for passion!
[Post edited 26 Jun 2020 11:14]

Liverpool win it. on 11:22 - Jun 26 with 1635 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Liverpool win it. on 10:58 - Jun 26 by Boris_

Agreed, sorry Nick, you're on your own with this one!

Liverpool win it. on 11:31 - Jun 26 with 1627 viewsChesham_Saint

Liverpool win it. on 10:09 - Jun 26 by dirk_doone

Nick, to compare the attitude of our fans and ex-players to Liverpool's is ridiculous. They have won 48 major trophies; we have won 1.

How on earth do you expect our fans and ex-players to celebrate being in the bottom half of the table like Liverpool's are celebrating winning the league? Even Liverpool's fans wouldn't celebrate that. They'd be moaning like hell about the owners, the team and the manager.

I remember that in the years immediately after we won our one and only trophy in 1976, our fans were among the noisiest, most passionate and most fanatical in the land. There was not a noisier ground in the country than the Dell in 1977. That's what winning a trophy does. If we'd won 48 of them, we'd have the most loyal and passionate fans in the country and if Liverpool had won just 1 cup 44 years ago, they'd have fewer loyal fans and be much quieter and less passionate than our fans, as they were in the 1976 Charity Shield in spite of the fact they'd won the league.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2020 10:57]

You’re absolutely right Dirk; it’s so damn easy supporting a team that not only has a shed load of trophies but tends to win week in, week out.

I’m afraid Nick’s wrong on this one. Imagine liverpool in Div 1 for a few years and see how many die hards there are then - and before anyone talks about the 1950s I mean this century.

As far as I can see, Liverpool come perhaps only second to Man U and the skates in the self-regarding tosser stakes.

Liverpool win it. on 11:34 - Jun 26 with 1622 viewsdirk_doone

Liverpool win it. on 11:12 - Jun 26 by Saintsforeverj

Agreed. Southampton Football Club is a f@cking incredible club to support and will support them and them only until the end of time. I would support and big up the club to any other fan. I'm proud of supporting the Saints. Liverpool and any other team can F.. Off. I would hate bowing to idiots like VD, Mane and Co anyway. I would rather watch Saints in 6th division than support those over paid arrogant idiots. How is that for passion!
[Post edited 26 Jun 2020 11:14]

There can't be many clubs in the country who've only won 1 cup in their entire history that have as many loyal fans as we have.

Liverpool win it. on 11:43 - Jun 26 with 1617 viewsChesham_Saint

Liverpool win it. on 11:34 - Jun 26 by dirk_doone

There can't be many clubs in the country who've only won 1 cup in their entire history that have as many loyal fans as we have.

Technically Dirk that’s not true. I prefer ‘one major trophy’

Liverpool win it. on 11:47 - Jun 26 with 1614 viewsSaintsforeverj

Liverpool win it. on 11:34 - Jun 26 by dirk_doone

"Loyal" I think is the key word. We have suffered our fair share of downs and yes our loyal fans stick with the club through thick and thin.

Send Liverpool down to league 1 and stay there for a few years, selling their best players and a useless owner, let's see how loyal and passionate they are then. They would probably sit in the ground in silence.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2020 11:49]

Liverpool win it. on 12:14 - Jun 26 with 1594 viewskingslandstand1

Liverpool win it. on 11:47 - Jun 26 by Saintsforeverj

"Loyal" I think is the key word. We have suffered our fair share of downs and yes our loyal fans stick with the club through thick and thin.

Send Liverpool down to league 1 and stay there for a few years, selling their best players and a useless owner, let's see how loyal and passionate they are then. They would probably sit in the ground in silence.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2020 11:49]

It would be interesting to know (I haven't time now to look in detail) what was the passion of the Scousers like back in the 50's pre Shankly days when in the old 2nd division?
Liverpool win it. on 12:21 - Jun 26 with 1584 viewssolent_toffee

Liverpool win it. on 12:14 - Jun 26 by kingslandstand1

It would be interesting to know (I haven't time now to look in detail) what was the passion of the Scousers like back in the 50's pre Shankly days when in the old 2nd division?

I have an old Everton programme with an advert for the next Liverpool game.

When the Blues are away, the Reds do play.

Shankly was a genius to be fair, doubt you’d find any Everton fan disputing that. He transformed the club in every way, including tapping into the droves of people attending the city as part of the Beatles boom. He told the club to play Beatles records and open the gates early each game. Simple but genius and brought in loads of new fans.

Ironically when he left Liverpool and was no longer welcome at Anfield, he used to be a regular at Goodison.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024