Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Petition to restore part of historic Rochdale 12:07 - Aug 4 with 1365 viewsD_Alien

https://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/135682/restoring

I used to play around this area when i was a kid. It's long-neglected and if this project comes off, even the part of the project to restore the section next to Oldham Road to be used as a marina, it could help transform this area for the better. Not sure how viable the restoration of the entire filled-in section would be, but anything that halts the downward spiral in former industrial sections of the borough, especially now the town centre offers a multitude of decent leisure and hospitality facilities, should imo be supported to the hilt. As the article says, this could be a "once in a lifetime" opportunity

The petition (from the end of the article):

https://www.change.org/p/rochdale-metropolitan-borough-council-save-the-rochdale

[Post edited 4 Aug 2020 12:15]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Petition to restore part of historic Rochdale on 14:23 - Aug 4 with 1163 viewsmingthemerciless

It's a shame it ever got filled in back in the day. As I said previously TBA had several multi story cotton mill type warehouses situated around what was the " Basin " in the 1960's. If it was central Manchester they'd be worth a fortune as yuppie flats today. Even in Rochdale being so close to the tram line and railways station they'd have been a cheaper alternative for commuters into Manchester. Alas they were demolished to make way for the industrial boxes that are there now.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2020 14:25]
Petition to restore part of historic Rochdale on 14:54 - Aug 4 with 1094 viewsD_Alien

Petition to restore part of historic Rochdale on 14:23 - Aug 4 by mingthemerciless

It's a shame it ever got filled in back in the day. As I said previously TBA had several multi story cotton mill type warehouses situated around what was the " Basin " in the 1960's. If it was central Manchester they'd be worth a fortune as yuppie flats today. Even in Rochdale being so close to the tram line and railways station they'd have been a cheaper alternative for commuters into Manchester. Alas they were demolished to make way for the industrial boxes that are there now.

The soulless metallic boxes that have sprung up are an absolute scourge, obviously cheap and functional but without any attempt to incorporate them into the landscape

I suppose the same might've been said when the mills were first built, but as you say they can be - and are - adaptable to modern living accommodation with solid infrastructures and some long-term value within urban landscapes

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Petition to restore part of historic Rochdale on 15:13 - Aug 4 with 1057 viewstony_roch975

Petition to restore part of historic Rochdale on 14:23 - Aug 4 by mingthemerciless

The local elections Labour Party manifesto of 1986 had a proposal for this sort of development; also opening the whole of the river under the esplanade with flats development, sadly Cllrs Brett & Farnell weren't up for it.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024