Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sky Sports 18:22 - Aug 26 with 5207 viewsSuddenLad

Have sacked Matt Le Tissier, Phil Thompson and Charlie Nicholas. Apparently (according to the Sun) are 'white men of a certain age' and will be replaced. No confirmation yet, but rumours that Paul Ince, John Barnes and Clinton Morrison will replace them (says Twitter)

Stelling says it's his worst ever day as a Sky Sports employee.

Some will be joyous, others angry.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Sky Sports on 18:31 - Aug 26 with 3212 viewsrochdaleriddler

I think the sun is just mischief making, I won’t be sorry to see them go, but I don’t want them replacing with ince or Barnes either. Maybe time for some new faces

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Sky Sports on 18:32 - Aug 26 with 3210 viewsisitme

I quite like Morrison. I don't think Thompson and Nicholas will be a great loss to be honest, although Le Tissier was good.

Eniola Aluko is another who is rumoured to be lined up.

Does anyone know what happened to Ebony Rainford Brent who was commentating on the cricket. She wasn't part of the group for the last two tests but was on the BBC radio coverage and made some throwaway comment about coming back. Not sure if Sky have let her go?
Sky Sports on 18:40 - Aug 26 with 3175 viewsD_Alien

Sky Sports on 18:32 - Aug 26 by isitme

I quite like Morrison. I don't think Thompson and Nicholas will be a great loss to be honest, although Le Tissier was good.

Does anyone know what happened to Ebony Rainford Brent who was commentating on the cricket. She wasn't part of the group for the last two tests but was on the BBC radio coverage and made some throwaway comment about coming back. Not sure if Sky have let her go?

She featured strongly in the BBC2 highlights, and did a pretty good job imo

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Sky Sports on 18:46 - Aug 26 with 3143 viewsMass_Debater

Morrison's hopeless.
Sky Sports on 18:52 - Aug 26 with 3102 viewsMass_Debater

Can you be sacked when your contract's up?
Sky Sports on 19:18 - Aug 26 with 2972 viewsfunkkk

And Merson somehow survived 😩
Sky Sports on 19:55 - Aug 26 with 2850 viewsTVOS1907

I don't think anything 'happened' to her.

She has always divided her time between Sky and the BBC and with some of the commentators and summarisers rotating which Tests they covered, she was probably earmarked to work for the BBC in the last two Tests, especially with Alison Mitchell taking a break.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Sky Sports on 20:04 - Aug 26 with 2815 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Sky Sports on 18:31 - Aug 26 by rochdaleriddler

I think the sun is just mischief making, I won’t be sorry to see them go, but I don’t want them replacing with ince or Barnes either. Maybe time for some new faces

Le tiss is far better than most on there, Kamara is bloody useless and always has been.

My money is on Darren Bent (on everything these days) a black women footballer, ideally gay and maybe the ex Leeds player that came out as gay (fair play to him)

I watch it for the scores with the sound off unless they flash to Dale so could not care less.

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Login to get fewer ads

Sky Sports on 20:13 - Aug 26 with 2796 viewsisitme

Sky Sports on 19:55 - Aug 26 by TVOS1907

I don't think anything 'happened' to her.

She has always divided her time between Sky and the BBC and with some of the commentators and summarisers rotating which Tests they covered, she was probably earmarked to work for the BBC in the last two Tests, especially with Alison Mitchell taking a break.

She worked predominantly for the BBC last year but joined Sky this year with Isa Guha making the move the opposite way to anchor their TV coverage The only reason I asked if anything had 'happened' to her was that when she was on commentary on the BBC there was a comment by her fellow commentator about her being back on the BBC quickly to which she made a throwaway reply which made me think that she may have left Sky. As you rightly point out some of the commentary team get rotated out. Bumble has only done Old Trafford tests if I remember correctly. I suppose with Warne coming in someone had to drop out.
Sky Sports on 20:42 - Aug 26 with 2723 viewsSuddenLad

I think Isa Guha has been excellent in this recent series.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Sky Sports on 20:54 - Aug 26 with 2678 viewsisitme

Sky Sports on 20:42 - Aug 26 by SuddenLad

I think Isa Guha has been excellent in this recent series.

I agree she is really good, she has been excellent as part of the IPL coverage for a number of year.
Sky Sports on 20:56 - Aug 26 with 2658 viewsrochdaleriddler

Sky Sports on 20:04 - Aug 26 by Thacks_Rabbits

Le tiss is far better than most on there, Kamara is bloody useless and always has been.

My money is on Darren Bent (on everything these days) a black women footballer, ideally gay and maybe the ex Leeds player that came out as gay (fair play to him)

I watch it for the scores with the sound off unless they flash to Dale so could not care less.

I only watch it when Dale are away at a game I can’t get to, I think Jeff Stelling is good, le Tissier seemed a nice bloke. Not arsed who they get in, unless it’s Garth Crooks

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Sky Sports on 21:06 - Aug 26 with 2627 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Sky Sports on 20:56 - Aug 26 by rochdaleriddler

I only watch it when Dale are away at a game I can’t get to, I think Jeff Stelling is good, le Tissier seemed a nice bloke. Not arsed who they get in, unless it’s Garth Crooks

Christ I forgot about Garth Crooks!

Would quite like to see someone like lee hendrie given a chance as he comes across very well or maybe Clarke Carlisle if he feels it’s something he would like to do.

Am all for adding balance and education, in whatever way they choose, as long as it’s balanced and not to the point people get fed up of hearing whatever point they keep pushing.

Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Sky Sports on 21:15 - Aug 26 with 2595 viewsTVOS1907

Sky Sports on 21:06 - Aug 26 by Thacks_Rabbits

Christ I forgot about Garth Crooks!

Would quite like to see someone like lee hendrie given a chance as he comes across very well or maybe Clarke Carlisle if he feels it’s something he would like to do.

Am all for adding balance and education, in whatever way they choose, as long as it’s balanced and not to the point people get fed up of hearing whatever point they keep pushing.

Hendrie?

He struggles to speak basic English.

Sky Sports on 21:43 - Aug 26 with 2510 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Sky Sports on 21:15 - Aug 26 by TVOS1907

Hendrie?

I found him very coherent and insightful in what I have seen. Can’t be any worse than half the ex players getting jobs now, pennant, Morrison, O’Hara etc.

Talksport is terrible these days and is more matey fm than Bolton!

Sky Sports on 22:00 - Aug 26 with 2456 viewsTVOS1907

Sky Sports on 21:43 - Aug 26 by Thacks_Rabbits

I found him very coherent and insightful in what I have seen. Can’t be any worse than half the ex players getting jobs now, pennant, Morrison, O’Hara etc.

Talksport is terrible these days and is more matey fm than Bolton!

It's all subjective, of course, and one man's Hendrie is another man's Gowling, but you might want to listen to him again if Sky haven't binned him off.

He sounds like Jasper Carrott with a mouth full of marbles!

I've only listened to cricket commentary on Talksport - for about five minutes.

Sky Sports on 22:21 - Aug 26 with 2402 viewsChaffRAFC

Not remotely bothered about Phil Thompson or Charlie Nicholas going as I've never liked either of them anyway but Matt Le Tissier is a tremendous addition to the Soccer Saturday team and I'm gutted to see him go. This will be an opportunity for Sky Sports to tick some boxes I think. I don't particularly like Clinton Morrison and I cannot stand Ince or Barnes. There seems to be a huge reshuffle going on with Sky in general as quite a few faces have changed in the cricket as well with the likes of Gower and Botham no longer being on there.

Liam Rosenior has always impressed me and unlike TVOS, I do quite like Lee Hendrie as a pundit but he seems to be the chosen co-commentator for most EFL games now, if that were to free up Andy Hinchcliffe however, I think he'd be a tremendous panelist.

Glad Paul Merson has retained his seat which will be an unpopular opinion but I find him entertaining and honest. He and Le Tissier were ace on Soccer Saturday.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Sky Sports on 22:21 - Aug 26 with 2394 viewsjudd

Sky Sports on 18:46 - Aug 26 by Mass_Debater

Morrison's hopeless.

He asda go

Poll: What is it to be then?

Sky Sports on 22:44 - Aug 26 with 2328 viewsTVOS1907

Sky Sports on 22:21 - Aug 26 by ChaffRAFC

Not remotely bothered about Phil Thompson or Charlie Nicholas going as I've never liked either of them anyway but Matt Le Tissier is a tremendous addition to the Soccer Saturday team and I'm gutted to see him go. This will be an opportunity for Sky Sports to tick some boxes I think. I don't particularly like Clinton Morrison and I cannot stand Ince or Barnes. There seems to be a huge reshuffle going on with Sky in general as quite a few faces have changed in the cricket as well with the likes of Gower and Botham no longer being on there.

Liam Rosenior has always impressed me and unlike TVOS, I do quite like Lee Hendrie as a pundit but he seems to be the chosen co-commentator for most EFL games now, if that were to free up Andy Hinchcliffe however, I think he'd be a tremendous panelist.

Glad Paul Merson has retained his seat which will be an unpopular opinion but I find him entertaining and honest. He and Le Tissier were ace on Soccer Saturday.

They'd be better off with Stephen Hendry. At least you can understand him and he doesn't sound like Benny off Crossroads on a good day!

Sky Sports on 00:06 - Aug 27 with 2210 viewsDiddyDave

What about Tommy Smyth (Tat`s Smyt wit a woy),is he still on ESPN?
Sky Sports on 05:23 - Aug 27 with 2088 viewsrichfoad32

Wasn't Le Tissier taking some heat a few weeks ago for his 'controversial' views on Covid-19? Maybe Sky just wanted to get rid but didn't have the balls just to axe him, so the others were just collateral damage?
Sky Sports on 08:02 - Aug 27 with 1968 viewsisitme

I would agree with Chaff that there has been a cull of what could be deemed as 'stale white males' at Sky. Undoubtedly some of these had passed their sell by date but others such as Le Tissier and Botham are big losses.

Whilst I agree that presenters etc should be more representative of society, it should not come at the expense of quality. The likes of Richards, Smith and Guha are excellent whereas Ince and Barnes are not. Maggie Alphonsi also adds a lot to ITVs rugby coverage. The issue I have is when someone gets shoehorned into a role that they lack the requisite skills for.

On a side note the missus had GMB on this morning when she was getting ready for work and in over an hour there was not one white male on the show including presenters/guests etc.
Sky Sports on 10:44 - Aug 27 with 1735 viewsjonahwhereru

Sky Sports on 08:02 - Aug 27 by isitme

I would agree with Chaff that there has been a cull of what could be deemed as 'stale white males' at Sky. Undoubtedly some of these had passed their sell by date but others such as Le Tissier and Botham are big losses.

Whilst I agree that presenters etc should be more representative of society, it should not come at the expense of quality. The likes of Richards, Smith and Guha are excellent whereas Ince and Barnes are not. Maggie Alphonsi also adds a lot to ITVs rugby coverage. The issue I have is when someone gets shoehorned into a role that they lack the requisite skills for.

On a side note the missus had GMB on this morning when she was getting ready for work and in over an hour there was not one white male on the show including presenters/guests etc.

TBF is would more often be no black presenters or guests rather that the other way around. But the is representative of society.
I read a comment from a black barrister who said on one case he was on years ago the he and the def nose council, together with the judge and the court usher were all black. They remarked it was unlikely to ever happen again, but like I say that reflects the make up of society.
The three presenters mention would not have been sacked. Just emotive stuff from the press.
Sky Sports on 10:48 - Aug 27 with 1719 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Sky Sports on 21:15 - Aug 26 by TVOS1907

Hendrie?

so does Morrison.
Sky Sports on 11:06 - Aug 27 with 1690 viewsAtThePeake

Sky Sports on 08:02 - Aug 27 by isitme

I think Richards is dreadful to be honest. I know all the top six clubs have their cheerleaders in the media but he will wax lyrical about the most average of City performances as if they have invented a completely different sport. And the over-exaggerated laughs at his own 'jokes' top the whole thing off.

It was definitely time for the likes of Thompson and Nicholas to go. Hopefully they are replaced by decent analysts rather than the soundbite merchants.

Tangled up in blue.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024