Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Covid and football league finance 09:36 - Sep 26 with 3290 viewsoff2div1

With the latest announcement from the Government re football not likely to be available for fans for possible 6 months. How are clubs like Rochdale going to finance themselves. Unlike the premier league that are gets lots of money from TV deals. Clubs lower down the food chain will be staved of cash and will struggle to survive.
Covid and football league finance on 10:36 - Sep 26 with 3216 viewsDalenet

All football clubs will need to adapt...they can't assume there is a Government money tree to pick off. The wider public won't be impressed with Government funds being poured into football whilst the headlines continue to focus on the wages of players in the Premier League. This morning BBC Breakfast continued to punt the story that the wages of a single player at each Premiership Club could keep a League One or Two club going for a whole season.

We don't need to be too despondent. The bulk of RAFC income comes from the Football League and TV monies, alongside sponsorship. The fans represent less than a third of the income and around 1200 have bought Season Cards. So lets assume the gap we have to plug to maintain a viable club is £0.5m.

We can hope there are additional payments filtering down from the top of the game as suggested for months. The club has budgeted for no fans and will have cut match day costs from the budget. We can take advantage of further Government schemes including the end of furlough payment of £1000 for each employee we have on the payroll in January. And take advantage of delayed tax and rates bills.

Finally the club could engage with the fan base on how to generate income. Is there an opportunity to sell 2021/22 products to help with cash flow? How do they get iFollow income from away games? Can they sell future hospitality and tickets? We need to be careful about using future income here and now for the risks it creates in future years. But there has to be a balance. And a club that has bought two players in the past month is clearly not hanging over the precipice. I suspect our cautious approach means we are far better placed than the clubs that had spent their season ticket income before last season had finished
Covid and football league finance on 10:39 - Sep 26 with 3208 viewsJames1980

Perhaps the club could secure a lucrative government contract to supply something fail to deliver but get paid for it anyway.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Covid and football league finance on 10:53 - Sep 26 with 3189 viewsDaleiLama

Covid and football league finance on 10:36 - Sep 26 by Dalenet

All football clubs will need to adapt...they can't assume there is a Government money tree to pick off. The wider public won't be impressed with Government funds being poured into football whilst the headlines continue to focus on the wages of players in the Premier League. This morning BBC Breakfast continued to punt the story that the wages of a single player at each Premiership Club could keep a League One or Two club going for a whole season.

We don't need to be too despondent. The bulk of RAFC income comes from the Football League and TV monies, alongside sponsorship. The fans represent less than a third of the income and around 1200 have bought Season Cards. So lets assume the gap we have to plug to maintain a viable club is £0.5m.

We can hope there are additional payments filtering down from the top of the game as suggested for months. The club has budgeted for no fans and will have cut match day costs from the budget. We can take advantage of further Government schemes including the end of furlough payment of £1000 for each employee we have on the payroll in January. And take advantage of delayed tax and rates bills.

Finally the club could engage with the fan base on how to generate income. Is there an opportunity to sell 2021/22 products to help with cash flow? How do they get iFollow income from away games? Can they sell future hospitality and tickets? We need to be careful about using future income here and now for the risks it creates in future years. But there has to be a balance. And a club that has bought two players in the past month is clearly not hanging over the precipice. I suspect our cautious approach means we are far better placed than the clubs that had spent their season ticket income before last season had finished

Not forgetting the outstanding loan from RMBC to pay off

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Covid and football league finance on 11:26 - Sep 26 with 3138 viewsAncoats_Blue

I know Dale and any club should plan for worst case and no help but I’ll be surprised if there isn’t some government support for sports clubs. Whether the gov use tax funds or force the premier league’s hand in Distributing more down the pyramid. The latter should be a permanent fixture IMO as the gulf in funding from just L1 to Ch & PL is enormous. Football alone generates billions for the economy and keeps a lot of people in work either directly or indirectly (think how demand for things like pubs, hotels, public transport would be hit ).
Covid and football league finance on 11:59 - Sep 26 with 3101 viewstony_roch975

Covid and football league finance on 10:36 - Sep 26 by Dalenet

Agree the Club's financial prudence will prove invaluable in the Covid lockdown but, whilst I accept some will condemn working class boys making similarly large salaries to the upper classes, surely maintaining our heritage is worthwhile - we spend billions of pounds of taxpayers money on our stately homes heritage, why not on our football cultural heritage ?

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Covid and football league finance on 13:58 - Sep 26 with 2987 viewsBillyRudd

At the time of the initial country wide lockdown I was firmly of the opinion that I would not be attending any football match with the perceived risks of large crowds etc. I just saw this position as a sensible response.
Age wise I suppose I have heightened risk but have no underlying conditions (touch wood) and have no anxiety about Covid itself, although I am fearful of the long term economic problems the seeds of which are being sown now.
Now some 6 months down the line I have done a 180 degree in that I would be actually more comfortable and prepared to attend a football match with planned precautions implemented (and enforced) than say a trip to the small corner shop or indeed some supermarkets where mask wearing seems to be optional. My perception of risk has changed not the actual risk.
It is a recent epithany post season card sales, however I would still not cough up £325 for a season card on the basis of ifs, buts and maybes. That is not a criticism of the club, they are at the mercy of Government (or should I say "expert opinion") implemented controls.
I wonder if anyone else has changed their views on attendance as time has gone by?
Hope springs eternal but would be surprised if we come away with anything today.
Up the Dale.
Covid and football league finance on 22:20 - Sep 26 with 2799 viewsoddjob007

Covid and football league finance on 13:58 - Sep 26 by BillyRudd

At the time of the initial country wide lockdown I was firmly of the opinion that I would not be attending any football match with the perceived risks of large crowds etc. I just saw this position as a sensible response.
Age wise I suppose I have heightened risk but have no underlying conditions (touch wood) and have no anxiety about Covid itself, although I am fearful of the long term economic problems the seeds of which are being sown now.
Now some 6 months down the line I have done a 180 degree in that I would be actually more comfortable and prepared to attend a football match with planned precautions implemented (and enforced) than say a trip to the small corner shop or indeed some supermarkets where mask wearing seems to be optional. My perception of risk has changed not the actual risk.
It is a recent epithany post season card sales, however I would still not cough up £325 for a season card on the basis of ifs, buts and maybes. That is not a criticism of the club, they are at the mercy of Government (or should I say "expert opinion") implemented controls.
I wonder if anyone else has changed their views on attendance as time has gone by?
Hope springs eternal but would be surprised if we come away with anything today.
Up the Dale.

Hands up to the club for securing some longer term sponsorship deals in return (for what I imagine) a good chunk of cash up front.

Added to our pretty decent cash balance and the prudence shown in our retained list and subsequent signings - I would imagine that we can ride this out, certainly this season, without fans.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2020 22:21]
Covid and football league finance on 11:48 - Sep 27 with 2584 viewsDalenet

Listening to the Culture Secretary today on the Andrew Marr show suggests there is no likelihood of Government cash in the short term for the EFL clubs. He said they were active in encouraging the Premier League to do something to help clubs out. I can't wait to see how this goes.......
Login to get fewer ads

Covid and football league finance on 12:25 - Sep 27 with 2539 viewsBillyRudd

Covid and football league finance on 11:48 - Sep 27 by Dalenet

Listening to the Culture Secretary today on the Andrew Marr show suggests there is no likelihood of Government cash in the short term for the EFL clubs. He said they were active in encouraging the Premier League to do something to help clubs out. I can't wait to see how this goes.......

As always the trope will become what ever they that represent the sorry state of journalism in this country, decide it will be regarding handouts from the Premier League.
Personally I lost total interest in the Premier League when its avarice become ever more apparent.
However this turned to outright opposition when having decided to form their own enterprise in pursuit of the mighty dollar (their prerogative) they then wished to play their hoovered up squads of young players in the micky mouse tournament, whose name escapes me. The EFL clubs sold their souls on that for the money on offer, but gladly not a good percentage of the paying customers.
So lets be under no illusions, he who pays the piper gets to choose the tune and if the Premier league do decide to pass on some of their largesse, lower down, no doubt it will come with some unpalatable strings attached. I can see the addition of under 23,s into the league structure rearing its head again.
Having said that, I don,t blame the Premier League asking the question of the not fit for purpose EFL what their plan is for the reputed millions, bearing in mind dodgy owners, spendthrift clubs, technically insolvent clubs, squad sizes clubs can,t afford. I could go on.
I personally would prefer a North South division and even semi pro but independent club before becoming a feeder club for the elite.
Up the Dale.
Covid and football league finance on 12:46 - Sep 27 with 2501 viewsD_Alien

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54315814

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Covid and football league finance on 13:59 - Sep 27 with 2456 viewsJames1980

Covid and football league finance on 12:46 - Sep 27 by D_Alien

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54315814

Will it be a grant or a loan and will conditions be imposed?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Covid and football league finance on 14:08 - Sep 29 with 2123 viewselectricblue

I was watching an interview with chester citys chairman and he said without the fans attending and soon the club will fold by christmas..
The poor guy had tears in his eyes.......

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Covid and football league finance on 16:50 - Sep 29 with 1975 viewsseasidedale

Reading the Colchester chairman’s article, he said that home clubs get 5% of away sale over £500, so they reckon that they would get nothing from away I follow sales from away games. On that basis I don’t think we will make much from our away games (if anything)
Covid and football league finance on 09:15 - Sep 30 with 1803 viewsAncoats_Blue

Tier 5 & 6 will have gov support. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54352735
Tiers 7 and below have fans in the grounds with some clubs actually seeing a boost in attendance given a lack of live fully professional football to compete with.
Would hope some support announced soon for us in the 3rd and 4th tier.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024