Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bob Willis Trophy Final 11:55 - Sep 27 with 1937 viewsD_Alien

Anyone been following the final at Lord's? Being played over 5 days, and it's been a very good advert for the format - perhaps a cue for how the county championship could go in future, and possibly test cricket too

The key in this match has been having the side who scored most runs in the first innings (currently limited to 120 overs) being declared the winners if neither side can enforce an overall victory, thus eliminating the draw

Sir Alistair's 172 for Essex ensured they won that particular battle, leaving Somerset to set a target of 237 off 80 overs for them to complete or for Somerset to bowl them out. Essex currently 34/2 (Cook still in)

Given the raised interest in cricket with "results" games over the shorter formats, imo this could be the way to go in the longer format too

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Bob Willis Trophy Final on 09:25 - Sep 29 with 1809 viewsaleanddale

Decent Draw in a game that both sides looked like they might nick a win.

Cooks superb 172 ensured Essex won the Bob Willis Trophy as D_Alien said the rules had been set out in the event of a drawn game whoever scored highest in the first innings would be the winners.

October this week!!

At least there is the IPL for a cricket fix. Being played in the UAE this time because of Coronavirus.
Bob Willis Trophy Final on 13:06 - Sep 29 with 1752 viewsNigeriamark

Bob Willis Trophy Final on 09:25 - Sep 29 by aleanddale

Cooks superb 172 ensured Essex won the Bob Willis Trophy as D_Alien said the rules had been set out in the event of a drawn game whoever scored highest in the first innings would be the winners.

October this week!!

At least there is the IPL for a cricket fix. Being played in the UAE this time because of Coronavirus.

I hope they do something like this next year. However one problem with having 2 finalists from 3 groups is that the 2 southern groups have a big advantage due to the weather. The Northern group lost more days and therefore more points, and this will happen in the future. Better to try to get 2 or 4 groups with equal numbers qualifying ( I'd like to see 4 teams and start with semi finals)
Bob Willis Trophy Final on 18:13 - Sep 29 with 1682 viewsD_Alien

Bob Willis Trophy Final on 09:25 - Sep 29 by aleanddale

October this week!!

Re: cricket fix

Don't forget Lancs are in the T20 QF on Thursday! But as you alluded to, playing so late in the season can't be much fun, especially evening games

[Post edited 29 Sep 2020 19:24]

Bob Willis Trophy Final on 13:55 - Sep 30 with 1606 viewswimborne_dale

Bob Willis Trophy Final on 13:06 - Sep 29 by Nigeriamark

I hope they do something like this next year. However one problem with having 2 finalists from 3 groups is that the 2 southern groups have a big advantage due to the weather. The Northern group lost more days and therefore more points, and this will happen in the future. Better to try to get 2 or 4 groups with equal numbers qualifying ( I'd like to see 4 teams and start with semi finals)

There is a proposal for next year for 3 groups of 6 which will be seeded (not regional).
They will play each other home and away.
The top two from each group will each play the top two from the other groups once, making 14 games in total.
The first and second in the 2nd phase group will meet again at Lords.

3rd and 4th place teams from the phase 1 groups will play each other
5th and 6th placed teams from the phase 1 groups w will play each other.

Sadly still no proposasl for a 50 overs straight knock out cup.

Edgar Allan's Crow

Bob Willis Trophy Final on 20:41 - Sep 30 with 1545 viewspioneer

Bob Willis Trophy Final on 13:55 - Sep 30 by wimborne_dale

There is a proposal for next year for 3 groups of 6 which will be seeded (not regional).
They will play each other home and away.
The top two from each group will each play the top two from the other groups once, making 14 games in total.
The first and second in the 2nd phase group will meet again at Lords.

3rd and 4th place teams from the phase 1 groups will play each other
5th and 6th placed teams from the phase 1 groups w will play each other.

Sadly still no proposasl for a 50 overs straight knock out cup.

well thats simple! Further attempts to screw county championship cricket?
Bob Willis Trophy Final on 20:50 - Sep 30 with 1536 viewsTVOS1907

Bob Willis Trophy Final on 20:41 - Sep 30 by pioneer

well thats simple! Further attempts to screw county championship cricket?

What if the usual county championship can't be played if Covid restrictions still exist?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Bob Willis Trophy Final on 06:37 - Oct 1 with 1488 viewsNigeriamark

Bob Willis Trophy Final on 20:50 - Sep 30 by TVOS1907

What if the usual county championship can't be played if Covid restrictions still exist?

Other than the premier league, I think if sport goes into a second year/season of COVID then there will be some serious repercussions. TV revenues, prize money and of course revenues from fans will go. Nest eggs of cash will get used up & sports where salaries are not massive will find players will need to find other jobs. Cricket & Rugby league spring to mind but there will be others. A vaccination programme is still a long way off & even then I doubt the first one will be more than 50% effective so issues won't go away immediately

Tough times for sports fans
Bob Willis Trophy Final on 09:03 - Oct 1 with 1467 viewspioneer

Bob Willis Trophy Final on 20:50 - Sep 30 by TVOS1907

Cant see how it deals with covid....home and away games with no regionalisation.

Teams will play a minimum of 10 games with more for them getting to post season.

Meddling for meddlings sake
Login to get fewer ads

Bob Willis Trophy Final on 11:11 - Oct 1 with 1433 viewsTVOS1907

Bob Willis Trophy Final on 09:03 - Oct 1 by pioneer

Cant see how it deals with covid....home and away games with no regionalisation.

Teams will play a minimum of 10 games with more for them getting to post season.

Meddling for meddlings sake

Maybe it's time for a refresh, a bit like when they went to two divisions.

Bob Willis Trophy Final on 11:30 - Oct 1 with 1425 viewsaleanddale

Bob Willis Trophy Final on 18:13 - Sep 29 by D_Alien

Re: cricket fix

Don't forget Lancs are in the T20 QF on Thursday! But as you alluded to, playing so late in the season can't be much fun, especially evening games

[Post edited 29 Sep 2020 19:24]

Great....

What time wickets pitched?

It will be cold in the field today.
Bob Willis Trophy Final on 12:15 - Oct 1 with 1413 viewsD_Alien

Bob Willis Trophy Final on 11:30 - Oct 1 by aleanddale

Great....

1pm start

A bit chilly down in Hove, but set fair

Bob Willis Trophy Final on 12:41 - Oct 1 with 1388 viewsTVOS1907

Bob Willis Trophy Final on 11:30 - Oct 1 by aleanddale

Great....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scores-fixtures

Bob Willis Trophy Final on 13:13 - Oct 1 with 1374 viewswimborne_dale

The county cricket season has been screwed in various ways over the years. It's been changed many times and rarely for the better. The current proposed changes to the championship have come about because with the current system of two divisions, the better clubs attract the better players and the Leicestershires of this world remain languishing for years in division 2. I think county cricket has only just discovered what other sports have known and lived with for 100 years plus.

I think it's a great loss that the one day cup has been downgraded, crammed into the early weeks of the season with not even a Lord's final; the very format in which England, just last summer won the World Cup.
The purpose of the Championship, we are told, is to produce a test match side. Ok so what then is going to produce another world cup side?

On a recent episode of Pointless, one of the questions was Which record wicket taking England test match bowler is known as the Burnley Express? It scored 8. I.e. just 8 of the 100 people they asked, knew England's leading wicket taker ever at a time when he is still playing; a damning indictment on the doings of those who organize and market the game in England.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2020 16:41]

Edgar Allan's Crow

Bob Willis Trophy Final on 14:12 - Oct 1 with 1337 viewsD_Alien

Rain interruption to Lancs innings at 116-5 off 17ovrs, been hard going

140 would be useful

Bob Willis Trophy Final on 14:57 - Oct 1 with 1311 viewsD_Alien

Bob Willis Trophy Final on 14:12 - Oct 1 by D_Alien

Rain interruption to Lancs innings at 116-5 off 17ovrs, been hard going

140 would be useful

...and we made 140

Defendable

Bob Willis Trophy Final on 15:04 - Oct 1 with 1302 viewsNigeriamark

Bob Willis Trophy Final on 14:57 - Oct 1 by D_Alien

...and we made 140

Defendable

Nice little knock by Vilas at the end but Sussex will fancy it. We blew the quarters last year due to poor captaincy with the bowlers, so let's hope it's the reverse this year
Bob Willis Trophy Final on 16:22 - Oct 1 with 1262 viewsD_Alien

Bob Willis Trophy Final on 15:04 - Oct 1 by Nigeriamark

Nice little knock by Vilas at the end but Sussex will fancy it. We blew the quarters last year due to poor captaincy with the bowlers, so let's hope it's the reverse this year

79-9 after 15

We're strangling 'em, like we did the Tykes

Bob Willis Trophy Final on 16:36 - Oct 1 with 1253 viewsisitme

Great win. I thought 140 would be under par, but at this time of year it must be hard to get any pace into pitches. Great bowling by the spinners, on to Saturday.
Bob Willis Trophy Final on 16:38 - Oct 1 with 1247 viewsNigeriamark

Bob Willis Trophy Final on 16:36 - Oct 1 by isitme

Great win. I thought 140 would be under par, but at this time of year it must be hard to get any pace into pitches. Great bowling by the spinners, on to Saturday.

Well done Lancs. When they smacked the first ball for 4 I didn't expect them to be all out for 95. Looking forward to finals day
Bob Willis Trophy Final on 19:30 - Oct 2 with 1156 viewsD_Alien

The weather around Edgbaston (as elsewhere) is looking horrendous, doubt there'll be a ball bowled

Not much better on Sunday either

Are the semis/final held over until they can be played? Don't see why not, with spectators/catering not a consideration

Edit: apparently not. If the games can't be completed on Sunday, it goes to a "bowl out"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/54387789
[Post edited 2 Oct 2020 19:32]

Bob Willis Trophy Final on 09:41 - Oct 3 with 1032 viewsNigeriamark

Bob Willis Trophy Final on 19:30 - Oct 2 by D_Alien

The weather around Edgbaston (as elsewhere) is looking horrendous, doubt there'll be a ball bowled

Not much better on Sunday either

Are the semis/final held over until they can be played? Don't see why not, with spectators/catering not a consideration

Edit: apparently not. If the games can't be completed on Sunday, it goes to a "bowl out"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/54387789
[Post edited 2 Oct 2020 19:32]

The BBC have somehow managed to block VPNs so I can't listen to the commentary. Does anyone know of a site where I can listen or watch the matches? ( I'm in Ukraine if that makes any difference?)
Bob Willis Trophy Final on 10:44 - Oct 3 with 1017 viewsAtThePeake

Bob Willis Trophy Final on 09:41 - Oct 3 by Nigeriamark

The BBC have somehow managed to block VPNs so I can't listen to the commentary. Does anyone know of a site where I can listen or watch the matches? ( I'm in Ukraine if that makes any difference?)

I don't see there being much to watch unfortunately NM!

Tangled up in blue.

Bob Willis Trophy Final on 14:58 - Oct 3 with 965 viewsNigeriamark

Bob Willis Trophy Final on 10:44 - Oct 3 by AtThePeake

I don't see there being much to watch unfortunately NM!

Aye, and it seems tomorrow may be the same. Not to bothered about watching/listening to a bowl off
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024