Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whatever happened to "merit" 16:33 - Oct 27 with 5860 views49thseason

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54702729#:~:text=Football%20clubs%20will%20
Whatever happened to "merit" on 17:07 - Oct 27 with 4416 viewsAtThePeake

Good point.

How did Frank Lampard merit the Derby job, and the Chelsea job after it having failed to get promotion with Derby in one season? How did Steve Gerrard merit the Rangers job after less than a year in charge of Liverpool's youth team?

Tangled up in blue.

Whatever happened to "merit" on 17:16 - Oct 27 with 4396 viewsjudd

Merit indeed.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Whatever happened to "merit" on 17:40 - Oct 27 with 4347 viewsSuddenLad

It's the old divisive argument all over again. It's surely about whoever is the most suitable candidate for the job. The person who fits all the required criteria and whose abilities suit the vacancy best. Why would any would-be employer select a candidate who ISN'T the best for the job, but who ticks other non-essential boxes? I can't see the sense in it.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Whatever happened to "merit" on 19:27 - Oct 27 with 4215 viewspioneer

Whatever happened to "merit" on 17:07 - Oct 27 by AtThePeake

Good point.

How did Frank Lampard merit the Derby job, and the Chelsea job after it having failed to get promotion with Derby in one season? How did Steve Gerrard merit the Rangers job after less than a year in charge of Liverpool's youth team?

and closer to home the name steve eyre comes to mind.
Whatever happened to "merit" on 19:32 - Oct 27 with 4202 viewsjudd

Whatever happened to "merit" on 19:27 - Oct 27 by pioneer

and closer to home the name steve eyre comes to mind.

He went through a recruitment process, didn't he?

Whatever happened to "merit" on 19:58 - Oct 27 with 4151 viewspioneer

Whatever happened to "merit" on 19:32 - Oct 27 by judd

He went through a recruitment process, didn't he?

yes but doesnt mean he got the job on merit.
Whatever happened to "merit" on 20:04 - Oct 27 with 4130 viewsjudd

Whatever happened to "merit" on 19:58 - Oct 27 by pioneer

yes but doesnt mean he got the job on merit.

If he went through a competitive process and presented himself to the satisfaction of his potential employers then I would beg to differ.

That he was found out when in situ is another matter

Whatever happened to "merit" on 22:52 - Oct 27 with 3986 viewsmikehunt

Why aren’t there more BAME referees? They should start in their own back yard and sort that little anomaly out before trying to be all self-righteous with this matter.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Login to get fewer ads

Whatever happened to "merit" on 06:17 - Oct 28 with 3803 viewsEllGazzell

Whatever happened to "merit" on 22:52 - Oct 27 by mikehunt

Why aren’t there more BAME referees? They should start in their own back yard and sort that little anomaly out before trying to be all self-righteous with this matter.

I can't for the life of me imagine why there aren't more BAME referees...

Poll: If possible tomorrow, which model do you choose for Dale?

Whatever happened to "merit" on 08:55 - Oct 28 with 3684 viewsrochdaleriddler

Whatever happened to "merit" on 17:40 - Oct 27 by SuddenLad

It's the old divisive argument all over again. It's surely about whoever is the most suitable candidate for the job. The person who fits all the required criteria and whose abilities suit the vacancy best. Why would any would-be employer select a candidate who ISN'T the best for the job, but who ticks other non-essential boxes? I can't see the sense in it.

Because everyone has bias, whether they admit to it or not . People are apt to choose something familiar, similar, this happens often at a subconscious level. Usually it’s not as subtle, A lot of people at the top making decisions come from a position of privilege , and as we see in the upper echelons of govt, a huge proportion are the products of the same private schools. That isn’t meritocracy .
Once it becomes normal to see more BAME and women involved , there will not even be a debate about merit, it will be the norm. To get to that point requires a kick start.

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Whatever happened to "merit" on 09:51 - Oct 28 with 3613 viewsSuddenLad

Whatever happened to "merit" on 08:55 - Oct 28 by rochdaleriddler

Because everyone has bias, whether they admit to it or not . People are apt to choose something familiar, similar, this happens often at a subconscious level. Usually it’s not as subtle, A lot of people at the top making decisions come from a position of privilege , and as we see in the upper echelons of govt, a huge proportion are the products of the same private schools. That isn’t meritocracy .
Once it becomes normal to see more BAME and women involved , there will not even be a debate about merit, it will be the norm. To get to that point requires a kick start.

To the detriment of the employer and other, more qualified applicants? A meritocracy is fine but not if it means a diminution in standards - and bias towards a specific applicant just to satisfy a specific 'box tick'.

As I said before, the aim of any prospective selection panel should surely be to employ the best and most able candidate, regardless of anything else.

Whatever happened to "merit" on 10:19 - Oct 28 with 3564 viewsisitme

Whatever happened to "merit" on 06:17 - Oct 28 by EllGazzell

I can't for the life of me imagine why there aren't more BAME referees...

Or male midwifes?
Whatever happened to "merit" on 10:28 - Oct 28 with 3546 viewsHK_Dale

Whatever happened to "merit" on 09:51 - Oct 28 by SuddenLad

To the detriment of the employer and other, more qualified applicants? A meritocracy is fine but not if it means a diminution in standards - and bias towards a specific applicant just to satisfy a specific 'box tick'.

As I said before, the aim of any prospective selection panel should surely be to employ the best and most able candidate, regardless of anything else.

I'm not sure there is a direct correlation between implementing standards that ensure representation and a diminishing of quality in those roles.

I would also say that there is definite action required, there is inevitable subconscious (maybe even conscious) biases at play when looking at the number of BAME players who then never make it into coaching and management.

Even if there is a drop of in 'quality' the benefits of a more representative and diverse workforce, at any level, will outweigh this.
Whatever happened to "merit" on 10:28 - Oct 28 with 3545 viewsrochdaleriddler

Whatever happened to "merit" on 09:51 - Oct 28 by SuddenLad

That should be the aim, but as I said bias, whether intentional or not comes into play. There would be no need to box tick if everything was in fact done fairly. All that apart the interview process is a farce anyway and very often Leads to the appointment of people that are good at interview and nothing else. No process is perfect but to effect change requires some effort .

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Whatever happened to "merit" on 10:30 - Oct 28 with 3538 viewsrochdaleriddler

Whatever happened to "merit" on 10:28 - Oct 28 by HK_Dale

I'm not sure there is a direct correlation between implementing standards that ensure representation and a diminishing of quality in those roles.

I would also say that there is definite action required, there is inevitable subconscious (maybe even conscious) biases at play when looking at the number of BAME players who then never make it into coaching and management.

Even if there is a drop of in 'quality' the benefits of a more representative and diverse workforce, at any level, will outweigh this.

I’m waiting for the ‘Paul ince was crap ‘ comments

Whatever happened to "merit" on 10:55 - Oct 28 with 3501 viewsSuddenLad

Whatever happened to "merit" on 10:30 - Oct 28 by rochdaleriddler

or John Barnes.

Whatever happened to "merit" on 10:56 - Oct 28 with 3501 viewsScunnydale

I'm still disappointed that women can now become teachers. When did that happen?

It's not so much a case of 'positive discrimination' any more, it's more a case of treating everyone equally. As has been mentioned, there is often something in people's subconscious that precludes them from assuming someone is suitable for certain roles.
Whatever happened to "merit" on 11:03 - Oct 28 with 3487 viewsrochdaleriddler

Whatever happened to "merit" on 10:55 - Oct 28 by SuddenLad

or John Barnes.

Can’t list all the crap white managers in one post

Whatever happened to "merit" on 11:04 - Oct 28 with 3482 viewsHK_Dale

Whatever happened to "merit" on 10:55 - Oct 28 by SuddenLad

or John Barnes.

And what about Chris Hughton or Darren Moore or Hope Powell? All have had a decent degree of success.

The problem is that there are hardly representative samples because so few BAME managers have been able to get manager roles. If nothing else, this move will prove your point. If we enable an environment for more BAME leadership, and they are all Paul Ince like - then I'll hold my hands up and agree with you...
Whatever happened to "merit" on 11:12 - Oct 28 with 3462 viewsSuddenLad

Whatever happened to "merit" on 11:04 - Oct 28 by HK_Dale

And what about Chris Hughton or Darren Moore or Hope Powell? All have had a decent degree of success.

The problem is that there are hardly representative samples because so few BAME managers have been able to get manager roles. If nothing else, this move will prove your point. If we enable an environment for more BAME leadership, and they are all Paul Ince like - then I'll hold my hands up and agree with you...

Great examples, fine managers, all of whom are well worthy of the positions they hold/held.

Whatever happened to "merit" on 11:20 - Oct 28 with 3446 viewspioneer

Whatever happened to "merit" on 11:03 - Oct 28 by rochdaleriddler

Can’t list all the crap white managers in one post

Dale never had a crap black manager but plenty of crap white blokes.
Whatever happened to "merit" on 11:35 - Oct 28 with 3414 viewsMass_Debater

Whatever happened to "merit" on 10:30 - Oct 28 by rochdaleriddler

He was, but the problem with him and Barnes is that they play the race card before putting their managerial records on the table.

I never see anyone calling what they did as players because they were good at that, regardless of skin colour.
Whatever happened to "merit" on 11:45 - Oct 28 with 3397 viewstony_roch975

Whatever happened to "merit" on 11:20 - Oct 28 by pioneer

Dale never had a crap black manager but plenty of crap white blokes.

Just a good one ( & the first ever), Tony Collins

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Whatever happened to "merit" on 11:51 - Oct 28 with 3390 views49thseason

Whatever happened to "merit" on 10:56 - Oct 28 by Scunnydale

I'm still disappointed that women can now become teachers. When did that happen?

It's not so much a case of 'positive discrimination' any more, it's more a case of treating everyone equally. As has been mentioned, there is often something in people's subconscious that precludes them from assuming someone is suitable for certain roles.

Is it fair that half a class of kids ( boys) can go through the whole of their primary education and most of their secondary schooling without having a male teacher as a role model? Shouldnt we be recruiting more me into teaching? Isnt it possible that the lack of male role models in schools is what is putiing off white working class lads off education and the reason so many end up jobless and aimless?
Whatever happened to on 12:01 - Oct 28 with 3369 viewsD_Alien

Whatever happened to "merit" on 11:51 - Oct 28 by 49thseason

Is it fair that half a class of kids ( boys) can go through the whole of their primary education and most of their secondary schooling without having a male teacher as a role model? Shouldnt we be recruiting more me into teaching? Isnt it possible that the lack of male role models in schools is what is putiing off white working class lads off education and the reason so many end up jobless and aimless?

How does that explain the better overall exam results among some non-white working class boys?

[Post edited 28 Oct 2020 12:10]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024