Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP Les Massie 20:06 - Nov 13 with 1232 viewsEllDale

Scottish forward famous (or infamous) for scoring the only goal when Halifax Town beat Rochdale at the Shay in May 1969 in front of 17000 people.
As a 14 year old I hated him for that at the time.
Years later a friend of mine took over a pub in Halifax and it became my local.
Massie was long retired by then and working in a local engineering works and played for the pub pool team.
Really nice modest bloke.
Suffered badly from dementia in recent years but before then loved to talk about football.
RIP Les Massie on 20:41 - Nov 13 with 1188 viewsSuddenLad

One of Bill Shankly's proteges from Huddersfield Town. Les Massie was a decent player and that game at the Shay was cracker. He had a few clubs before finishing his career. He was 85, so he had a decent innings.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

RIP Les Massie on 21:11 - Nov 13 with 1153 viewsEllDale

Dale and Halifax were two well matched teams in those days.
The following season we lost 3-1 there in November 1969 when a win would have taken us top of the old Division Three. I think Bill Atkins scored for them that day.
And the year after that we won 4-1 at the Shay on Boxing Day with Denis Butler scoring three.
Great times.
RIP Les Massie on 21:27 - Nov 13 with 1126 viewsTVOS1907

RIP Les Massie on 21:11 - Nov 13 by EllDale

The following season we lost 3-1 there in November 1969 when a win would have taken us top of the old Division Three. I think Bill Atkins scored for them that day.
And the year after that we won 4-1 at the Shay on Boxing Day with Denis Butler scoring three.
Great times.

1-0 (23 mins) - Dave Lennard
1-1 (50 mins) - Tony Buck
2-1 (85 mins) - Freddie Hill
3-1 (89 mins) - Dave Lennard

Attendance: 7,570

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

RIP Les Massie on 08:21 - Nov 14 with 999 viewspioneer

RIP Les Massie on 21:11 - Nov 13 by EllDale

Great times.

And butler discovered after the game he played with a broken leg.
RIP Les Massie on 10:52 - Nov 14 with 946 viewsmingthemerciless

RIP Les Massie on 21:27 - Nov 13 by TVOS1907

1-0 (23 mins) - Dave Lennard
1-1 (50 mins) - Tony Buck
2-1 (85 mins) - Freddie Hill
3-1 (89 mins) - Dave Lennard

Attendance: 7,570

Freddie Hill was a class act in those days. He'd been an England International when he was at Bolton. I never saw him have a bad game whoever he was playing for.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2020 10:58]
RIP Les Massie on 10:56 - Nov 14 with 943 viewsmingthemerciless

RIP Les Massie on 20:41 - Nov 13 by SuddenLad

One of Bill Shankly's proteges from Huddersfield Town. Les Massie was a decent player and that game at the Shay was cracker. He had a few clubs before finishing his career. He was 85, so he had a decent innings.

The atomosphere for that game at The Shay was great but I thought the match itself was pretty dull. Halifax had a way of playing that was attritional and wasn't that easy on the eye. The'Dale never really got into their footballing stride.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2020 12:10]
RIP Les Massie on 11:39 - Nov 14 with 907 viewsD_Alien

RIP Les Massie on 10:56 - Nov 14 by mingthemerciless

The atomosphere for that game at The Shay was great but I thought the match itself was pretty dull. Halifax had a way of playing that was attritional and wasn't that easy on the eye. The'Dale never really got into their footballing stride.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2020 12:10]

Agreed. Incredible event for several reasons, but the match itself a bit of a non-event, not just the outcome

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

RIP Les Massie on 12:36 - Nov 14 with 863 viewsEllDale

I seem to remember that Halifax’s main threat came from centre half Chris Nichols from corners.
Chris Harker made a couple of decent saves but apart from that they didn’t look like scoring until Massie popped up.
Don’t think the pitch helped it as a spectacle either.
Login to get fewer ads

RIP Les Massie on 14:07 - Nov 14 with 818 viewsdavidab2202

RIP Les Massie on 10:52 - Nov 14 by mingthemerciless

Freddie Hill was a class act in those days. He'd been an England International when he was at Bolton. I never saw him have a bad game whoever he was playing for.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2020 10:58]

Watched Freddie Hill quite a lot in his Bolton days and totally agree--he was a class act probably very much under appreciated as he was another of what appeared to be slow players but his football brain more than made up for it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024