Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
David Bottomley 09:06 - Nov 17 with 15033 viewswimborne_dale

Just heard our chief executive on the Today Programme talking about how EFL clubs need help to compensate for loss of paying fans. Radio 4 about 8:55.

Edgar Allan's Crow

David Bottomley on 22:38 - Nov 17 with 2145 viewsD_Alien

David Bottomley on 22:28 - Nov 17 by DaleiLama

FT reporting a post-Brexit deal may be in plaice next week?

Wouldn't be surprised

Efforts to reach a deal are now turbot-charged

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

David Bottomley on 22:47 - Nov 17 with 2119 viewsmikehunt

A pikely story........

I'll get me coat.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

David Bottomley on 08:05 - Nov 18 with 1951 viewsjudd

I've haddock enough of this.

The last fish I ate locally was sea trout.

Poll: What is it to be then?

David Bottomley on 11:16 - Nov 18 with 1811 viewsrochdaleriddler

David Bottomley on 20:31 - Nov 17 by Dalenet

There is a catch 22 here. Pardon the pun. We want control of our fishing and our seas. The Brits have spent decades eating just cod, haddock, farmed salmon and farmed seabass. Where can you buy a range of the fresh fish we catch? Where can you buy Langoustines or our Lobster? Where are our fishmongers and markets? The supermarkets stock the top 5 or 6 at best. Try buying fresh shellfish or turbot or monkfish. In the main the Europeans pay for quality food whereas the majority of the British public just want cheap food. Will be interesting to see whether the Europeans will be prepared to pay more for the seafood we export. If not we, as a nation, will need to start thinking differently about our food or we will regret the outcome. I don't want even cheaper food imported from the US or China

Fishmongers went out of business due to our obsession with supermarkets, and lack of demand for decent fish. Obviously in more affluent areas you can still find them, and in seaside towns

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

David Bottomley on 11:19 - Nov 18 with 1807 viewsrochdaleriddler

David Bottomley on 12:53 - Nov 17 by D_Alien

"If clubs are allowed to recruit whilst furloughing staff, whilst probably not illegal, is probably immoral in the eyes of the Government."

And

"I did hear one former football chairman who was adamant that any funds made available to EFL clubs should not be issued as cash to individual clubs, but rather as a draw down credit facility to pay specific debts such as PAYE and VAT, and the administration of such payments taken out of the hands of those less trustworthy."

Excellent points

And supermarkets who have benefitted massively from the business rates holiday, paying dividends to shareholders, immorality and greed everywhere

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

David Bottomley on 11:32 - Nov 18 with 1789 viewsjudd

David Bottomley on 11:19 - Nov 18 by rochdaleriddler

And supermarkets who have benefitted massively from the business rates holiday, paying dividends to shareholders, immorality and greed everywhere

Two wrongs don't make a right.

You could also make mention of those firms repaying furlough payments received from the Government.

David Bottomley on 11:46 - Nov 18 with 1775 viewsrochdaleriddler

David Bottomley on 11:32 - Nov 18 by judd

Two wrongs don't make a right.

You could also make mention of those firms repaying furlough payments received from the Government.

I was just highlighting the fact it isn’t just football clubs who like to play the system, I wasn’t defending them. Some firms are repaying the furlough money. Tesco being one I believe, but they didn’t need the business rate holiday as they have not only stayed open, but have increased profits. Let’s see if they repay that

David Bottomley on 11:54 - Nov 18 with 1768 viewsjudd

David Bottomley on 11:46 - Nov 18 by rochdaleriddler

I was just highlighting the fact it isn’t just football clubs who like to play the system, I wasn’t defending them. Some firms are repaying the furlough money. Tesco being one I believe, but they didn’t need the business rate holiday as they have not only stayed open, but have increased profits. Let’s see if they repay that

It's a mute point.

Football is not essential unless it employs you.

Login to get fewer ads

David Bottomley on 12:18 - Nov 18 with 1735 viewsrochdaleriddler

David Bottomley on 11:54 - Nov 18 by judd

It's a mute point.

Football is not essential unless it employs you.

Tesco receiving help from the govt and giving it to their shareholders isn’t a mute point, it’s indefensible.

David Bottomley on 12:36 - Nov 18 with 1701 viewsDalenet

David Bottomley on 12:18 - Nov 18 by rochdaleriddler

Tesco receiving help from the govt and giving it to their shareholders isn’t a mute point, it’s indefensible.

If it was true I might agree with you

Tesco paid dividends to shareholders based on their profits made in 2018/19 before the pandemic. Some of the profit was based on a sale of assets in countries they moved out of. It was the shareholders money. They didn't need to keep it as reserves because they didn't intend to sack people, close stores or suffer losses.

This year they served the UK admirably by remaining open and boosting online deliveries by 100%. They spent more in covid related costs, including employing 40,000 more people than they received in business rates relief. They didn't furlough staff. They didn't ask for rates relief. They haven't paid out any dividends from profits yet to be declared in 2020. They did donate £40m of food to foodbanks and other food poverty related charities during the pandemic. The German owned discounters didn't. The German owned discounters have been given the same business rates relief and their profits are squirreled back to Germany.
David Bottomley on 12:40 - Nov 18 with 1689 viewsD_Alien

Technically incorrect

Shareholders own (or at least have equity in) the company, so no-one "gives anything" to them

I know you'd rather the capitalist system didn't exist, but at least try to understand how it works, incredibly more successfully than any other alternative that's been tried, or rather imposed*

There you go - i've just defended it. As you said a short while ago, you can't argue with someone with entrenched views!

*Edit: must admit, China's an interesting experiment in state capitalism
[Post edited 18 Nov 2020 12:43]

David Bottomley on 13:01 - Nov 18 with 1650 viewsjudd

It is a mute point for all the reasons others have pointed out.

Going back to my earlier point of football being the most important of the less important things, it really is of the less important.

David Bottomley on 13:32 - Nov 18 with 1605 viewsrochdaleriddler

David Bottomley on 12:40 - Nov 18 by D_Alien

Technically incorrect

Shareholders own (or at least have equity in) the company, so no-one "gives anything" to them

I know you'd rather the capitalist system didn't exist, but at least try to understand how it works, incredibly more successfully than any other alternative that's been tried, or rather imposed*

There you go - i've just defended it. As you said a short while ago, you can't argue with someone with entrenched views!

*Edit: must admit, China's an interesting experiment in state capitalism
[Post edited 18 Nov 2020 12:43]

Tesco is owned by its shareholders. They have just received a dividend on their investment . A similar amount of money has been saved by Tesco due to the business rates holiday. See I have understood all of it, I wasn’t attacking the capitalist system, I was highlighting a company for exploiting a govt scheme to help businesses through a pandemic. I’m just listening to a lawyer from the good law project lambasting the govt’s procurement processes whereby middlemen with no relevant expertise cream off our cash for doing virtually nothing. I suppose that’s ok as well.

David Bottomley on 13:37 - Nov 18 with 1598 viewsrochdaleriddler

David Bottomley on 13:01 - Nov 18 by judd

It is a mute point for all the reasons others have pointed out.

Going back to my earlier point of football being the most important of the less important things, it really is of the less important.

Ah well it must be if you say it is, sorry for having an opinion.

David Bottomley on 14:04 - Nov 18 with 1555 viewsD_Alien

David Bottomley on 13:32 - Nov 18 by rochdaleriddler

Tesco is owned by its shareholders. They have just received a dividend on their investment . A similar amount of money has been saved by Tesco due to the business rates holiday. See I have understood all of it, I wasn’t attacking the capitalist system, I was highlighting a company for exploiting a govt scheme to help businesses through a pandemic. I’m just listening to a lawyer from the good law project lambasting the govt’s procurement processes whereby middlemen with no relevant expertise cream off our cash for doing virtually nothing. I suppose that’s ok as well.

That's good to see (you understanding), it's better than false consciousness

And i abhor middlemen. But as was pointed out during PMQs, it's absurd to criticise the rushed procurement of PPE when lives are at stake when the same voices where shouting to get hold of it or have it on their consciences during the early phase of lockdown

No doubt the "good" lawyer has his or her own agenda, without the responsibility of government

David Bottomley on 14:18 - Nov 18 with 1532 viewsrochdaleriddler

David Bottomley on 14:04 - Nov 18 by D_Alien

That's good to see (you understanding), it's better than false consciousness

And i abhor middlemen. But as was pointed out during PMQs, it's absurd to criticise the rushed procurement of PPE when lives are at stake when the same voices where shouting to get hold of it or have it on their consciences during the early phase of lockdown

No doubt the "good" lawyer has his or her own agenda, without the responsibility of government

The PPE case with the jeweller from America merely highlights the corruption at the heart of the process . The national audit office says that suppliers with political(Tory) contacts were placed in a high priority lane and were 10 times more likely to get contracts. In this instance the procuring was done in June, not at the height of the pandemic. Why you choose to defend this is an absolute mystery to me. I hope those responsible will be held to account in the fullness of time. #torycronyism

David Bottomley on 14:26 - Nov 18 with 1511 viewsjudd

David Bottomley on 13:37 - Nov 18 by rochdaleriddler

Ah well it must be if you say it is, sorry for having an opinion.

But it's not just me is it, especially when I point out as others have said?

David Bottomley on 14:52 - Nov 18 with 1472 viewsDalenet

David Bottomley on 13:32 - Nov 18 by rochdaleriddler

But different years. See my post above.

Please don't rubbish a great British company doing what's right in the awful pandemic. You can't compare apples and pears
David Bottomley on 15:28 - Nov 18 with 1416 viewsD_Alien

David Bottomley on 14:18 - Nov 18 by rochdaleriddler

The PPE case with the jeweller from America merely highlights the corruption at the heart of the process . The national audit office says that suppliers with political(Tory) contacts were placed in a high priority lane and were 10 times more likely to get contracts. In this instance the procuring was done in June, not at the height of the pandemic. Why you choose to defend this is an absolute mystery to me. I hope those responsible will be held to account in the fullness of time. #torycronyism

Of course it's a mystery to you, because i'm simply describing the situation as it existed rather than trying to make political capital (oooer...) out of a dire situation, even during the early summer

Another process that's been criticised for much the same reasons is the appointment of people to head up new departments dealing with aspects of the pandemic. In normal circumstances, these appointments would take months, when the government didn't have days to spare let alone months. In such conditions, you go with those you know rather than those you don't. No-one's saying the appointment of Harding (for instance) has been successful, and imo she should be replaced but at the time it was a case of get someone who'd headed up major enterprises, albeit with a mixed track record. Easy to criticise in retrospect, and attach hashtags to worn slogans which could be equally applied to any political party. Strange how the Labour NEC has decided to overturn the suspension of Corbyn, for instance: i'm sure they're not at all biased. At least Starmer has done the right thing in withholding the whip, but he should apply equal thought to his criticisms of the government's performance when very often they were taking a course of action he'd hitherto recommended

David Bottomley on 15:36 - Nov 18 with 1396 viewsroccydaleian

David Bottomley on 11:46 - Nov 18 by rochdaleriddler

When and how many staff did Tesco furlough?
David Bottomley on 17:14 - Nov 18 with 1302 viewsrochdaleriddler

David Bottomley on 15:36 - Nov 18 by roccydaleian

When and how many staff did Tesco furlough?

None, humble apologies

David Bottomley on 17:24 - Nov 18 with 1281 viewsVivaDonaldo

Had a brisk read through this. Only thing that got me annoyed was the missuse of mute for moot. :D
David Bottomley on 17:29 - Nov 18 with 1272 viewsrochdaleriddler

David Bottomley on 15:28 - Nov 18 by D_Alien

Of course it's a mystery to you, because i'm simply describing the situation as it existed rather than trying to make political capital (oooer...) out of a dire situation, even during the early summer

Another process that's been criticised for much the same reasons is the appointment of people to head up new departments dealing with aspects of the pandemic. In normal circumstances, these appointments would take months, when the government didn't have days to spare let alone months. In such conditions, you go with those you know rather than those you don't. No-one's saying the appointment of Harding (for instance) has been successful, and imo she should be replaced but at the time it was a case of get someone who'd headed up major enterprises, albeit with a mixed track record. Easy to criticise in retrospect, and attach hashtags to worn slogans which could be equally applied to any political party. Strange how the Labour NEC has decided to overturn the suspension of Corbyn, for instance: i'm sure they're not at all biased. At least Starmer has done the right thing in withholding the whip, but he should apply equal thought to his criticisms of the government's performance when very often they were taking a course of action he'd hitherto recommended

There is no excuse for just giving jobs to your mates, they have to bring something to the table. Harding was a terrible CEO, and was forced out at Talktalk. She just happens to be married to a Tory MP. ( the standards guy!)Track and trace should never have been given to the companies now running it, people with the expertise were deliberately cut out of the equation. It’s the ONS that make the point about firms with political connections getting the plum contracts, they are not trying to make political capital, and neither am I . As for Starmer and co, I couldn’t care less, and it’s completely irrelevant to the misappropriation of public funds under Johnson.
The one thing I do agree with you on, you said history will be kinder to Teresa May. She certainly looks better in comparison to the current PM

David Bottomley on 17:35 - Nov 18 with 1264 viewsjudd

David Bottomley on 17:24 - Nov 18 by VivaDonaldo

Had a brisk read through this. Only thing that got me annoyed was the missuse of mute for moot. :D

Forgive me for I of sinned.

David Bottomley on 18:04 - Nov 18 with 1222 viewsrochdaleriddler

David Bottomley on 14:52 - Nov 18 by Dalenet

But different years. See my post above.

Please don't rubbish a great British company doing what's right in the awful pandemic. You can't compare apples and pears

I’m not rubbishing Tesco, as with other supermarkets they have made a huge amount of money during this pandemic, far outweighing the costs of extra staff, equipment etc . Therefore supermarkets did not need the rates relief( I know they didn’t ask for it) and should give it back. I accept 2020 dividends haven’t been decided yet. As for aldi and Lidl , they are investing huge amounts in the UK, opening new stores, and creating jobs here in the uk. As far as I know they pay the correct amount of tax etc in the uk. Their salaries are reportedly good too, and they pay their hourly paid staff more than the big 4. They also distribute surplus food to those in need and have other charitable initiatives here. They source many of their products here in the uk. I rarely shop at a big 4 supermarket now, but Morrison’s source more products from the UK than the others .

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024