Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
David Bottomley 09:06 - Nov 17 with 14739 viewswimborne_dale

Just heard our chief executive on the Today Programme talking about how EFL clubs need help to compensate for loss of paying fans. Radio 4 about 8:55.

Edgar Allan's Crow

David Bottomley on 18:15 - Nov 18 with 2117 viewsVivaDonaldo

David Bottomley on 17:35 - Nov 18 by judd

Forgive me for I of sinned.

It's ok. No one corrected me on the misspelled misuse.
David Bottomley on 18:41 - Nov 18 with 2068 viewsDalenet

David Bottomley on 18:04 - Nov 18 by rochdaleriddler

I’m not rubbishing Tesco, as with other supermarkets they have made a huge amount of money during this pandemic, far outweighing the costs of extra staff, equipment etc . Therefore supermarkets did not need the rates relief( I know they didn’t ask for it) and should give it back. I accept 2020 dividends haven’t been decided yet. As for aldi and Lidl , they are investing huge amounts in the UK, opening new stores, and creating jobs here in the uk. As far as I know they pay the correct amount of tax etc in the uk. Their salaries are reportedly good too, and they pay their hourly paid staff more than the big 4. They also distribute surplus food to those in need and have other charitable initiatives here. They source many of their products here in the uk. I rarely shop at a big 4 supermarket now, but Morrison’s source more products from the UK than the others .

That's not true either RR. If you followed the sector you'd know that the rise in sales at the start of the crisis at all the supermarkets was in low margin canned and frozen foods. They have seen a big fall in sales of higher margin fresh foods and non foods. Tesco was clear that their additional costs of covid (no furlough yet paying all their shielded staff, recruiting 40,000 new staff to cover them and expand home delivery, and cost of screens, PPE etc) cost them over £600m against the £500m in rates relief. All the supermarkets have not been able to translate the higher sales earlier into the year into higher profit because of the additional costs so your assertion is untrue. Even the Daily Mail accept that. But I accept as businesses that they have remained profitable as they were encouraged to stay open. And hats off to them for paying staff significant bonuses of 10% of hours worked as a thank you

I accept that Aldi and Lidl have invested in stores. So have the so called Big 4 over the years. But I judge the brands by their actions. And Lidl and Aldi didn't give large sums of money to food poverty charities in the way Tesco and Morrisons did.
David Bottomley on 19:45 - Nov 18 with 1997 viewsrochdaleriddler

David Bottomley on 18:41 - Nov 18 by Dalenet

That's not true either RR. If you followed the sector you'd know that the rise in sales at the start of the crisis at all the supermarkets was in low margin canned and frozen foods. They have seen a big fall in sales of higher margin fresh foods and non foods. Tesco was clear that their additional costs of covid (no furlough yet paying all their shielded staff, recruiting 40,000 new staff to cover them and expand home delivery, and cost of screens, PPE etc) cost them over £600m against the £500m in rates relief. All the supermarkets have not been able to translate the higher sales earlier into the year into higher profit because of the additional costs so your assertion is untrue. Even the Daily Mail accept that. But I accept as businesses that they have remained profitable as they were encouraged to stay open. And hats off to them for paying staff significant bonuses of 10% of hours worked as a thank you

I accept that Aldi and Lidl have invested in stores. So have the so called Big 4 over the years. But I judge the brands by their actions. And Lidl and Aldi didn't give large sums of money to food poverty charities in the way Tesco and Morrisons did.

Tesco profits surge as online orders double
07 October 2020 Business
Supermarket giant Tesco has seen first-half profits rise by more than a quarter as customers bought more food during the pandemic and online orders doubled.

Pre-tax profit for the 26 weeks to 29 August was £551m, 28.7% up on 2019.
Edit: source BBC business news
[Post edited 18 Nov 2020 19:47]

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

David Bottomley on 20:02 - Nov 18 with 1974 viewsjudd

David Bottomley on 18:15 - Nov 18 by VivaDonaldo

It's ok. No one corrected me on the misspelled misuse.

We're all mooted

Poll: What is it to be then?

David Bottomley on 20:18 - Nov 18 with 1947 viewsD_Alien

David Bottomley on 17:29 - Nov 18 by rochdaleriddler

There is no excuse for just giving jobs to your mates, they have to bring something to the table. Harding was a terrible CEO, and was forced out at Talktalk. She just happens to be married to a Tory MP. ( the standards guy!)Track and trace should never have been given to the companies now running it, people with the expertise were deliberately cut out of the equation. It’s the ONS that make the point about firms with political connections getting the plum contracts, they are not trying to make political capital, and neither am I . As for Starmer and co, I couldn’t care less, and it’s completely irrelevant to the misappropriation of public funds under Johnson.
The one thing I do agree with you on, you said history will be kinder to Teresa May. She certainly looks better in comparison to the current PM

Once again, you're falling into the trap of mistaking my giving a description of the situation as it existed earlier this year as making "excuses"

There have been no misappropriation of public funds. I'd warn that that's a serious allegation and something the mods might want to consider

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

David Bottomley on 20:35 - Nov 18 with 1921 viewstony_roch975

David Bottomley on 20:18 - Nov 18 by D_Alien

Once again, you're falling into the trap of mistaking my giving a description of the situation as it existed earlier this year as making "excuses"

There have been no misappropriation of public funds. I'd warn that that's a serious allegation and something the mods might want to consider

must be a wonderful view you have from up there over Sinai - will you be wanting the mods to close down the ONS as well?

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

David Bottomley on 20:39 - Nov 18 with 1910 viewsfitzochris

Does anyone know where I can get an Guinness?

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

David Bottomley on 20:39 - Nov 18 with 1906 viewsD_Alien

David Bottomley on 20:35 - Nov 18 by tony_roch975

must be a wonderful view you have from up there over Sinai - will you be wanting the mods to close down the ONS as well?

I don't want the mods to close anything down, but RR's post might cause a problem, simple as that

Login to get fewer ads

David Bottomley on 20:40 - Nov 18 with 1908 viewsjudd

David Bottomley on 20:39 - Nov 18 by fitzochris

Does anyone know where I can get an Guinness?

Tesco

David Bottomley on 20:46 - Nov 18 with 1888 viewstony_roch975

David Bottomley on 20:39 - Nov 18 by D_Alien

I don't want the mods to close anything down, but RR's post might cause a problem, simple as that

and I get a down vote - truly the summit of sublimity

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

David Bottomley on 20:56 - Nov 18 with 1859 viewsD_Alien

David Bottomley on 20:46 - Nov 18 by tony_roch975

and I get a down vote - truly the summit of sublimity

Because it was a shite post, simple as that

David Bottomley on 22:55 - Nov 18 with 1790 viewsDalenet

David Bottomley on 19:45 - Nov 18 by rochdaleriddler

Tesco profits surge as online orders double
07 October 2020 Business
Supermarket giant Tesco has seen first-half profits rise by more than a quarter as customers bought more food during the pandemic and online orders doubled.

Pre-tax profit for the 26 weeks to 29 August was £551m, 28.7% up on 2019.
Edit: source BBC business news
[Post edited 18 Nov 2020 19:47]

and that isn't true either - group operating profit down 4%. Margins down as they sold less fresh food and non food, although UK sales increased 8%. Still maintain that they have profited from increased sales and passed it to shareholders. The latter isn't true either

It will be interesting what happens when they receive £8bn from selling their Thai business. I suspect some of this will go to shareholders too. Scandalous.

I agree with your other challenge though about Tory friends being favoured for PPE contracts. That is scandalous. But the worst example of poor behaviour is Clarks (the shoe people). Despite selling 22 million pairs of shoes they have made a loss of over £100m over the past two years and still keep paying the Clarks family dividends. Why? And they are on the verge of a CVA and will avoid paying shop rents. Now that is a scandal as thousands will lose their jobs too
David Bottomley on 23:17 - Nov 18 with 1778 viewsJames1980

The problem is short term b'st'dised capitalism. Director's not being bothered about the long term success of a company but wanting to maximise the share price and their bonus in as short a time as possible regardless of the cost to the company in the long term.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

David Bottomley on 09:32 - Nov 19 with 1639 viewsrochdaleriddler

David Bottomley on 22:55 - Nov 18 by Dalenet

and that isn't true either - group operating profit down 4%. Margins down as they sold less fresh food and non food, although UK sales increased 8%. Still maintain that they have profited from increased sales and passed it to shareholders. The latter isn't true either

It will be interesting what happens when they receive £8bn from selling their Thai business. I suspect some of this will go to shareholders too. Scandalous.

I agree with your other challenge though about Tory friends being favoured for PPE contracts. That is scandalous. But the worst example of poor behaviour is Clarks (the shoe people). Despite selling 22 million pairs of shoes they have made a loss of over £100m over the past two years and still keep paying the Clarks family dividends. Why? And they are on the verge of a CVA and will avoid paying shop rents. Now that is a scandal as thousands will lose their jobs too

The figures are from the grocery division, which is what the BBC are quoting. Just reading about Home Bargains giving staff Boxing Day off and paying staff 2 weeks pay as a bonus to say thanks. Well done to them

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

David Bottomley on 09:40 - Nov 19 with 1625 viewsrochdaleriddler

David Bottomley on 20:18 - Nov 18 by D_Alien

It’s amazing that you actually believe the handing of public money to people with no expertise, just because they are related to or are friends with Tories isn’t corrupt. Get your blue glasses off man, if this was Labour you would be pontificating about it on here ad nauseum.

David Bottomley on 09:46 - Nov 19 with 1614 viewsjudd

David Bottomley on 09:40 - Nov 19 by rochdaleriddler

It’s amazing that you actually believe the handing of public money to people with no expertise, just because they are related to or are friends with Tories isn’t corrupt. Get your blue glasses off man, if this was Labour you would be pontificating about it on here ad nauseum.

I agree that the granting of public funds has to be scrutinised by the Public Accounts Committee and any wrong doings highlighted and prosecuted.

David Bottomley on 10:38 - Nov 19 with 1577 viewsJames1980

Don't forget who the 'anti corruption champion' is.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

David Bottomley on 11:13 - Nov 19 with 1551 viewsAtThePeake

Bringing this thread back to football:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/54994155

Government bailouts for the likes of Rugby and Horseracing but football is considered wealthy enough to run itself.

Tangled up in blue.

David Bottomley on 11:14 - Nov 19 with 1546 viewsrochdaleriddler

David Bottomley on 10:38 - Nov 19 by James1980

Don't forget who the 'anti corruption champion' is.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/16/covid-19-contracts-cronyis

David Bottomley on 11:25 - Nov 19 with 1532 viewsDaleiLama

David Bottomley on 11:13 - Nov 19 by AtThePeake

Government bailouts for the likes of Rugby and Horseracing but football is considered wealthy enough to run itself.

Did you miss the i out of run?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

David Bottomley on 11:31 - Nov 19 with 1515 viewsjudd

David Bottomley on 11:13 - Nov 19 by AtThePeake

No surprise football is not a beneficiary, but it's galling that Polo, eventing, croquet, real tennis and public school fagging are all listed.

David Bottomley on 11:59 - Nov 19 with 1489 viewsnordenblue

David Bottomley on 11:31 - Nov 19 by judd

No surprise football is not a beneficiary, but it's galling that Polo, eventing, croquet, real tennis and public school fagging are all listed.

Surprise surprise public school boy sport gets well looked after
David Bottomley on 12:05 - Nov 19 with 1487 viewsjudd

David Bottomley on 11:59 - Nov 19 by nordenblue

Surprise surprise public school boy sport gets well looked after

Cricket hasn't, and rugby league is about as far from public school as you can probably get.

David Bottomley on 13:15 - Nov 19 with 1408 viewsD_Alien

David Bottomley on 09:40 - Nov 19 by rochdaleriddler

Never needed to wear glasses

Your eyes are so full of red mist that you can't even follow a post without misappropriating it's meaning

So come on, tell us what you'd be doing in the middle of a pandemic? Putting the work out to tender for six months? Heh!
[Post edited 19 Nov 2020 13:17]

David Bottomley on 13:34 - Nov 19 with 1364 viewsD_Alien

David Bottomley on 09:46 - Nov 19 by judd

I agree that the granting of public funds has to be scrutinised by the Public Accounts Committee and any wrong doings highlighted and prosecuted.

Agree with that

Proper scrutiny, and accountability

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024