Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has keepball had it's day? 20:07 - Nov 21 with 6543 viewsD_Alien

Looking at the stats for the Spurs v Man City game, the BBC had it as 66% possession for Man City

The Pep Guardiola revolution has, imo, come to an end. Any manager or coach who decided to follow that type of football will not only increasingly find themselves on the wrong side of scorelines against canny opponents but also on the wrong side of their fans

Look at Barcelona too. They've lost their way

At L1/L2 level, trying to emulate this type of football is doomed to failure. The players just haven't got the technique for it

I feel sorry for Keohane. I didn't see what happened today but it's not the first time he's been caught out trying to play the ball from positions where every sporting instinct in his body must be telling him to punt it forwards. He was one of our standout players until the start of this month. I bet his confidence must be completely shot now, and all because he wasn't allowed to follow his instincts

I admire BBM and wish him well. I can understand why he tries to put a positive spin on everything, but surely even he must be troubled by how his way of playing isn't working. Dale fans are some of the most long-suffering in the EFL and i'm fully prepared to give him more time to change tack. But change, he surely must, or be on the wrong end of not just footballing trends but also the huge pent up desire among football supporters to be entertained in this, of all years

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Has keepball had it's day? on 13:49 - Nov 23 with 1352 viewsTVOS1907

Has keepball had it's day? on 13:27 - Nov 23 by D_Alien

That would be interesting, given his coaching origins under KH

Where do you get that impression from? Watching Carlisle? (No problem whatsoever if you do)

Edit: Hmm...
[Post edited 23 Nov 2020 13:40]

Well shoddy rhymes with Roddy...

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Has keepball had it's day? on 13:51 - Nov 23 with 1348 viewsTVOS1907

Has keepball had it's day? on 12:32 - Nov 23 by TipperaryDale

Maybe it's a bit of both. You're not going to bring in someone who is shite on the ball if you're a passing team who start out from the back. And I believe this is largely dictated by our forward players. If we had big, tall, quick guys up front who could bully then maybe we'd have different guys at the back and well.

Worth noting that the only reason we're getting the likes of Sanchez, Roberts and Bola is because of the style we play. Likely we'd end up with a worse class of loanees if we didn't.

The forward players in the main have all been brought in by BBM to fit into the system he wants to play.

Like I've said, chicken and egg. The style was decided and then players brought in to play it.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Has keepball had it's day? on 14:10 - Nov 23 with 1308 viewsshoddycollins

Has keepball had it's day? on 13:27 - Nov 23 by D_Alien

That would be interesting, given his coaching origins under KH

Where do you get that impression from? Watching Carlisle? (No problem whatsoever if you do)

Edit: Hmm...
[Post edited 23 Nov 2020 13:40]

Yeah, I was curious about Rochdale fans' thoughts of the teacher vs pupil match on Tuesday between Beech's Carlisle and Hill's Tranmere (admittedly it won't really be Hill's team yet).

Carlisle have among the lowest average possession percentages in L2, but among the highest number of shots of target, around the lowest number of passes in defence and sideways passes and one of the top one or two in terms of opposition passes forced back and time spent in the final third.

Beech's philosophy is all about pressing and winning the ball high up the field. Defenders at this level who are being asked to play out from the back when they aren't really comfortable with it struggle immensely when the opposition attacking players are trying to tackle. I think this is the next wave of thinking, Klopp-ball perhaps, that everyone will be doing in a year or two's time and Beech has taken the opportunity to get in early while some teams still have no way to deal with it.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2020 16:39]
Has keepball had it's day? on 17:57 - Nov 23 with 1150 viewsD_Alien

Has keepball had it's day? on 14:10 - Nov 23 by shoddycollins

Yeah, I was curious about Rochdale fans' thoughts of the teacher vs pupil match on Tuesday between Beech's Carlisle and Hill's Tranmere (admittedly it won't really be Hill's team yet).

Carlisle have among the lowest average possession percentages in L2, but among the highest number of shots of target, around the lowest number of passes in defence and sideways passes and one of the top one or two in terms of opposition passes forced back and time spent in the final third.

Beech's philosophy is all about pressing and winning the ball high up the field. Defenders at this level who are being asked to play out from the back when they aren't really comfortable with it struggle immensely when the opposition attacking players are trying to tackle. I think this is the next wave of thinking, Klopp-ball perhaps, that everyone will be doing in a year or two's time and Beech has taken the opportunity to get in early while some teams still have no way to deal with it.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2020 16:39]

Cheers. It's taken him a while to turn Carlisle's form around. Has he been playing that way right from the outset?

Has keepball had it's day? on 18:45 - Nov 23 with 1090 viewsshoddycollins

Has keepball had it's day? on 17:57 - Nov 23 by D_Alien

Cheers. It's taken him a while to turn Carlisle's form around. Has he been playing that way right from the outset?

Well we didn't play this way last season but that was just about keeping us up and he inherited a pretty poor squad. At the end of that season he released a huge number of players and totally built his own squad. With all the changes it took us a few games to gel but now we have we're playing well.
Has keepball had it's day? on 20:10 - Nov 23 with 1033 viewsEllDale

Another keeper who came a cropper this weekend was our old friend José Pereira at Huddersfield who was dispossessed in his own area for one of Stoke’s goals.
Mind you, he also let another one in through his legs so is getting a bit of a slaughtering from Terriers fans on social media.
Has keepball had it's day? on 20:20 - Nov 23 with 1016 viewsD_Alien

Has keepball had it's day? on 18:45 - Nov 23 by shoddycollins

Well we didn't play this way last season but that was just about keeping us up and he inherited a pretty poor squad. At the end of that season he released a huge number of players and totally built his own squad. With all the changes it took us a few games to gel but now we have we're playing well.

Given his time with Dale, unfortunately playing days cut short due to injury but then great work with our youth squads, many of us have a good deal of respect for Chris Beech. He was given the almost impossible task of trying to turn our form around in a few games as caretaker when Steve Eyre was sacked in late 2012 and then left when Coleman came in

It's good to see clubs taking their time to allow new managers to find their feet and i've been keeping an eye on Carlisle since he took over. As you say, an interesting clash tomorrow night with his former mentor

Has keepball had it's day? on 16:31 - Nov 28 with 770 viewsrochdaleriddler

City’s keepball looking ok today

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Login to get fewer ads

Has keepball had it's day? on 16:36 - Nov 28 with 763 viewsJames1980

Has keepball had it's day? on 16:31 - Nov 28 by rochdaleriddler

City’s keepball looking ok today

They are playing Burnley though.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Has keepball had it's day? on 16:37 - Nov 28 with 757 viewsrochdaleriddler

Has keepball had it's day? on 16:36 - Nov 28 by James1980

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Has keepball had it's day? on 16:48 - Nov 28 with 735 viewsD_Alien

Has keepball had it's day? on 16:37 - Nov 28 by rochdaleriddler

And they're winning without Aguero...

Has keepball had it's day? on 18:46 - Nov 28 with 671 viewsrochdaleriddler

Has keepball had it's day? on 16:48 - Nov 28 by D_Alien

And they're winning without Aguero...

Lol, but they did seem a bit more ruthless today

Has keepball had it's day? on 07:24 - Nov 29 with 591 viewsDalenet

The Everton v Leeds game was far more entertaining. Exhausting watching it. 40 shots on goal. Much rather watch that to be honest
Has keepball had it's day? on 15:00 - Nov 29 with 498 viewsAtThePeake

Has keepball had it's day? on 16:36 - Nov 28 by James1980

The ultimate anti-keepball team!

Tangled up in blue.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024