Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Heading debate 13:54 - Nov 22 with 2787 viewsJames1980

What are your thoughts on this current debate regarding heading the ball and possibly links to dementia?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Heading debate on 14:42 - Dec 1 with 540 viewsnordenblue

Heading debate on 14:24 - Dec 1 by TomRAFC

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, as the old adage goes. Over the last 12 years working towards becoming a senior clincian, I have had to read medical research to a high standard. Even now I still get absolutely foxed by the stuff! People's confidence in stating very forthright points on such topics often astounds me. I'm not having dig at anyone on here, it's more of a general point when it comes to conversations like this.

Plenty of relevant points have been made but there is one thing that perhaps doesn't get it's due place in the discussion; opting to take risks. I am rubbish at football but my sport of choice is Muay Thai. In short, I regularly get a good boot or clout. I am aware of this and opt to do it. I also love a good pint of ale far more than I sometimes should. I opt to do that too. We want decisions to be as informed as possible but, whatever the risks, should players be allowed to choose to take such risks?
[Post edited 2 Dec 2020 0:11]

Good post,yes absolutely,the bigger risks are what make the rewards so big too.

A couple of mates are well into MMA and have been for years and I often wonder what longer term damage these guys have done and continue doing putting their bodies through all in search of being the best or winning a belt....quite literally sometimes.
Heading debate on 15:01 - Dec 1 with 525 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Heading debate on 14:24 - Dec 1 by TomRAFC

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, as the old adage goes. Over the last 12 years working towards becoming a senior clincian, I have had to read medical research to a high standard. Even now I still get absolutely foxed by the stuff! People's confidence in stating very forthright points on such topics often astounds me. I'm not having dig at anyone on here, it's more of a general point when it comes to conversations like this.

Plenty of relevant points have been made but there is one thing that perhaps doesn't get it's due place in the discussion; opting to take risks. I am rubbish at football but my sport of choice is Muay Thai. In short, I regularly get a good boot or clout. I am aware of this and opt to do it. I also love a good pint of ale far more than I sometimes should. I opt to do that too. We want decisions to be as informed as possible but, whatever the risks, should players be allowed to choose to take such risks?
[Post edited 2 Dec 2020 0:11]

Adults should be able to make their own decisions on potentially risky actions, so long as they are given as much information as possible, to any potentially dangerous consequences of taking those actions. Of course the real problem arises when it involves children.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Heading debate on 18:51 - Dec 1 with 441 viewspioneer

Heading debate on 15:01 - Dec 1 by foreverhopefulDale

Adults should be able to make their own decisions on potentially risky actions, so long as they are given as much information as possible, to any potentially dangerous consequences of taking those actions. Of course the real problem arises when it involves children.

But should tax payers be on the line for any health care required as a results of these potentially dangerous risks of these actions?

Adults might be aware of the risks but often dont incur the costs of those risks.
Heading debate on 22:08 - Dec 1 with 402 viewsNigeriamark

Heading debate on 18:51 - Dec 1 by pioneer

But should tax payers be on the line for any health care required as a results of these potentially dangerous risks of these actions?

Adults might be aware of the risks but often dont incur the costs of those risks.

I would imagine obesity, smoking, alcohol ( violence caused by it + alcoholism) is costing the NHS/taxpayer far more than sportsmen getting injuries, acute or chronic. We can't all be wrapped up in cotton wool, we need a life. I'm in the camp that adults should make informed choices, but kids can't & need protecting
Heading debate on 04:23 - Dec 2 with 361 viewspioneer

Heading debate on 22:08 - Dec 1 by Nigeriamark

I would imagine obesity, smoking, alcohol ( violence caused by it + alcoholism) is costing the NHS/taxpayer far more than sportsmen getting injuries, acute or chronic. We can't all be wrapped up in cotton wool, we need a life. I'm in the camp that adults should make informed choices, but kids can't & need protecting

smoking, alcohol and in some respects obesity producing foods are taxed so can be argued 'pay their way'.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024