Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Millwall and Colchester Booing 11:42 - Dec 6 with 4856 viewsboromat

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55168557

First game back for fans as well, the clubs themselves must be frustrated after finally getting paying customers back. I think now is a perfect time to really stamp down on racism. Both teams to play the next game behind closed doors for me. This puts and emphasis on the supporters to behave and the club to do more to stamp it out.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Millwall and Colchester Booing on 11:57 - Dec 6 with 3410 viewsisitme

Two things can be true:

1. You are against racism and support initiatives such as Rugby Against Racism or Kick Racism Out Of Football which do not have an overtly political agenda.

2. You can be against some of the political aspirations of BLM and are therefore against 'taking the knee'.

Whilst I wouldn't boo I certainly wouldn't kneel. I think a lot of the rhetoric I've seen as a result of the actions of the Millwall supporters is that if you don't support 'taking the knee' then you are a racist. Whilst some might be the vast majority won't be.
Millwall and Colchester Booing on 12:01 - Dec 6 with 3393 viewspioneer

Millwall and Colchester Booing on 11:57 - Dec 6 by isitme

Two things can be true:

1. You are against racism and support initiatives such as Rugby Against Racism or Kick Racism Out Of Football which do not have an overtly political agenda.

2. You can be against some of the political aspirations of BLM and are therefore against 'taking the knee'.

Whilst I wouldn't boo I certainly wouldn't kneel. I think a lot of the rhetoric I've seen as a result of the actions of the Millwall supporters is that if you don't support 'taking the knee' then you are a racist. Whilst some might be the vast majority won't be.

Taking a knee was fine in the immediate aftermath of the incident that led to it but making it an ongoing part of games in the same way abide with me is part of the cup final is something I do not support. Taking a knee needs to be replaced by taking action. I fully support the Rooney rule.

Maybethat makes me a racist in some folks eyes...if so I pity them.
Millwall and Colchester Booing on 12:14 - Dec 6 with 3381 viewsboromat

Booing is always going to be perceived as racist.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Millwall and Colchester Booing on 12:33 - Dec 6 with 3330 views442Dale

From the other thread:

And that tolerance is something anyone could show to people who choose to clap the NHS, have a minute’s silence for Diego Maradona or take a knee at a sporting event without feeling the need to boo them. We don’t have to agree or even take part, but showing that we are decent human beings and leaving them to make that choice without experiencing a hostile environment isn’t that hard.

Edit: View from a Millwall player https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/mahlon-romeo-angry-and-hurt-by-those-millwall-fan
[Post edited 6 Dec 2020 12:35]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Millwall and Colchester Booing on 12:52 - Dec 6 with 3295 viewsD_Alien

Millwall and Colchester Booing on 12:33 - Dec 6 by 442Dale

From the other thread:

And that tolerance is something anyone could show to people who choose to clap the NHS, have a minute’s silence for Diego Maradona or take a knee at a sporting event without feeling the need to boo them. We don’t have to agree or even take part, but showing that we are decent human beings and leaving them to make that choice without experiencing a hostile environment isn’t that hard.

Edit: View from a Millwall player https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/mahlon-romeo-angry-and-hurt-by-those-millwall-fan

A very understandable reaction to the booing

I think his statement is also significant in respect of bringing 'taking the knee' to an end at the turn of the year in a few weeks time. It's something all clubs/sports should consider very carefully. It'll also help in re-focusing the need to change people's minds and hearts about racism, away from what some now perceive to be an empty gesture

[Post edited 6 Dec 2020 12:53]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Millwall and Colchester Booing on 12:59 - Dec 6 with 3255 viewsnordenblue

From the other thread:

Folk maybe don't agree and shouldn't have to tolerate others trying to ram ideas down their throat regarding some ridiculous movement,quite different to clapping the NHS or even a minutes silence following somones death, two totally different scenarios.
Millwall and Colchester Booing on 13:12 - Dec 6 with 3228 views442Dale

Millwall and Colchester Booing on 12:59 - Dec 6 by nordenblue

Folk maybe don't agree and shouldn't have to tolerate others trying to ram ideas down their throat regarding some ridiculous movement,quite different to clapping the NHS or even a minutes silence following somones death, two totally different scenarios.

As I said, we don’t have to agree with whatever the situation is, no comparisons to be made. That was made perfectly clear.

I didn’t agree with the multiple amount of silences when Princess Diana died at clubs whenever they were at home next rather than on a particular day, but it didn’t lead to feeling the need to boo. If an act like taking the knee/silences/anti-discrimination campaigns including rainbow laces and corner flags are approved by the governing bodies then while we all may have differing views on the suitability of one against another, it’s not hard to be respectful and allow them to take place.

If any of those activities shouldn’t be taking place, contact the Trust and see if they can take it up with the club, who can then move towards raising it with the EFL and FA.

Millwall and Colchester Booing on 13:17 - Dec 6 with 3220 viewsDalenet

Yesterday was supposed to be a day to respect everybody and take a stand against any type of prejudice. Taking the knee may have started as a BLM reaction but if we are serious about stopping prejudice then we all have to show tolerance to others view. I don't understand how booing your own players who wanted to make the stance they did as anything but intolerant and bizarre. I wouldn't take the knee, but I would respect the right of everybody to do so. Booing just shows complete disrespect and intolerance
Login to get fewer ads

Millwall and Colchester Booing on 13:26 - Dec 6 with 3184 viewsnordenblue

Millwall and Colchester Booing on 13:17 - Dec 6 by Dalenet

Yesterday was supposed to be a day to respect everybody and take a stand against any type of prejudice. Taking the knee may have started as a BLM reaction but if we are serious about stopping prejudice then we all have to show tolerance to others view. I don't understand how booing your own players who wanted to make the stance they did as anything but intolerant and bizarre. I wouldn't take the knee, but I would respect the right of everybody to do so. Booing just shows complete disrespect and intolerance

Were the crowd booing their own players,or rather the ridiculously out of touch taking the knee thats now a routine rather than raising any sort of awareness,
Millwall and Colchester Booing on 13:30 - Dec 6 with 3168 viewsnordenblue

Millwall and Colchester Booing on 13:12 - Dec 6 by 442Dale

As I said, we don’t have to agree with whatever the situation is, no comparisons to be made. That was made perfectly clear.

I didn’t agree with the multiple amount of silences when Princess Diana died at clubs whenever they were at home next rather than on a particular day, but it didn’t lead to feeling the need to boo. If an act like taking the knee/silences/anti-discrimination campaigns including rainbow laces and corner flags are approved by the governing bodies then while we all may have differing views on the suitability of one against another, it’s not hard to be respectful and allow them to take place.

If any of those activities shouldn’t be taking place, contact the Trust and see if they can take it up with the club, who can then move towards raising it with the EFL and FA.

None of the above are connected one bit to a ridiculously warped movement either, and no wonder folk are happy to go along with such actions. While we're all being so laid back and understanding of others views why not be understanding too that folk may also be totally against the idea?
[Post edited 6 Dec 2020 13:31]
Millwall and Colchester Booing on 13:33 - Dec 6 with 3154 views442Dale

Millwall and Colchester Booing on 13:30 - Dec 6 by nordenblue

None of the above are connected one bit to a ridiculously warped movement either, and no wonder folk are happy to go along with such actions. While we're all being so laid back and understanding of others views why not be understanding too that folk may also be totally against the idea?
[Post edited 6 Dec 2020 13:31]

Totally understand people are against it.

There were some suggested routes to take if the FA shouldn’t have approved it.

Millwall and Colchester Booing on 13:39 - Dec 6 with 3138 viewsncfc_chalky

It's totally ridiculous that players are still taking the knee and to be honest I didn't even know that it was still being done until the booing,it should have happened once as a mark of respect at the most but I just don't agree with politics or people's sexuality being a part of sport,I go to a game to get away from the crap and there are plenty of other platforms for them to use

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

Millwall and Colchester Booing on 14:22 - Dec 6 with 3047 viewsnordenblue

Millwall and Colchester Booing on 13:39 - Dec 6 by ncfc_chalky

It's totally ridiculous that players are still taking the knee and to be honest I didn't even know that it was still being done until the booing,it should have happened once as a mark of respect at the most but I just don't agree with politics or people's sexuality being a part of sport,I go to a game to get away from the crap and there are plenty of other platforms for them to use

Totally agree with you chalky,the world has gone bonkers,I'm all for accepting everyone I have absolutely no problem with anyones preferences for religion, or skin colour, origin what I do have an issue with is having their views rammed down my throat,otherwise I'm in the wrong. Jonathan Pie did a decent sketch about him just wanting a cup of coffee in a plain take away cup rather than have someone else's beliefs plastered all over a fooking cup, pretty accurate and very well done.
Millwall and Colchester Booing on 14:53 - Dec 6 with 3008 viewsR17ALE

Millwall and Colchester Booing on 13:17 - Dec 6 by Dalenet

I agree with all of this with the exception that you’ve assumed the players “want to take the knee”.

I suspect they’re told to which makes it wrong. I suspect most players don’t realise BLM is a political party these days called Black Liberation Movement.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/23/blm-uk-gains-legal-status-with-ren

Personally politics and sport should not mix, ever, but I also agree with 442’s message of tolerance.

Edit: there was also booing at West Ham too but what with it being the Premier League the press have air brushed it out!!
[Post edited 6 Dec 2020 14:59]

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Millwall and Colchester Booing on 14:58 - Dec 6 with 2999 viewsBarrowdale

I think its too risky anyway. Reckon Mcloughlin has about a 50% chance of not getting back up !
Millwall and Colchester Booing on 15:03 - Dec 6 with 2984 viewsncfc_chalky

There is no way that a player will state that he's not going to take the knee anymore because of people like Dublin branding you a racist,common sense has to prevail at sometime and bring it to an end,all clubs all at the same time would be the easiest way to do it
[Post edited 6 Dec 2020 15:03]

Millwall and Colchester Booing on 15:40 - Dec 6 with 2935 viewskel

It’s all Torrhen Stark’s fault this.
Millwall and Colchester Booing on 16:00 - Dec 6 with 2900 viewskrafty80

There seems to be a consensus among some folk that taking a knee is a gesture whose impact has elapsed and it is time to 'move on'. I assume that on that basis, there would be no argument about removing the poppy from players' shirts each October/November, as the second of two world wars -- with which the poppy appeal is inextricably linked, despite a nod to modern conflict -- finished fully 75 years ago?
[Post edited 6 Dec 2020 16:01]
Millwall and Colchester Booing on 16:07 - Dec 6 with 2885 viewsncfc_chalky

Millwall and Colchester Booing on 16:00 - Dec 6 by krafty80

There seems to be a consensus among some folk that taking a knee is a gesture whose impact has elapsed and it is time to 'move on'. I assume that on that basis, there would be no argument about removing the poppy from players' shirts each October/November, as the second of two world wars -- with which the poppy appeal is inextricably linked, despite a nod to modern conflict -- finished fully 75 years ago?

The poppys aren't on the shirts all season though are they,people know when it's time to wear the non poppy shirt again and nobody kicks off when they do
[Post edited 6 Dec 2020 16:11]

Millwall and Colchester Booing on 16:19 - Dec 6 with 2855 viewsjonahwhereru

Would have expected a negative reaction at Millwall. The Isle of Dogs was a long history of voting for nationalist parties of various labels at a local level over the years and for that matter Dagenham, which is a strong West Ham supporting area.
Racism is on the way out, and I believe in a generations time it will be so diluted it will no longer be a talking point. I have No doubt as the lights go out on a generation that laughed at Love Thy Neighbour the youngsters will come through to show what embracing difference really means.
In the mean time i’ll Be supportive of people who want to make a stance. Please keep trying for all of us.
Millwall and Colchester Booing on 16:37 - Dec 6 with 2820 viewsrochdaleriddler

From the other thread:

Think I will take more notice of a black millwall player, than a load of gammon. Well done Spurs for applauding the gesture today

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Millwall and Colchester Booing on 16:52 - Dec 6 with 2791 viewsmightydale

Millwall and Colchester Booing on 16:37 - Dec 6 by rochdaleriddler

Think I will take more notice of a black millwall player, than a load of gammon. Well done Spurs for applauding the gesture today

Everyone who disagrees with you is a Gammon,

If I said to you (this is taken from her twitter account before it was deleted)

The tide is changing the white man will be a slave a to the blacks

What would your opinion be of that ??

Poll: How many season tickets will we sell for next season

Millwall and Colchester Booing on 16:53 - Dec 6 with 2791 viewsroccydaleian

Millwall and Colchester Booing on 16:00 - Dec 6 by krafty80

Poppy appeal is not political. If a player requested not to wear a shirt with a poppy on, I wouldn’t boo said player and respect it’s their personal choice.
Millwall and Colchester Booing on 16:53 - Dec 6 with 2791 viewsrochdaleriddler

Millwall and Colchester Booing on 12:59 - Dec 6 by nordenblue

Maybe no one is ramming anything, tbh I don’t even notice the knee anymore, so it’s time has probably gone. The clapping for the NHS was a bit meaningless, as people ignoring the rules shows their contempt for the staff’s sacrifice. Often at games I’ll be observing a minutes silence for someone I have no connection with, maybe I should start booing instead, it won’t mean I’m a knob head obviously. I’m just not being a sheep eh?

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Millwall and Colchester Booing on 16:55 - Dec 6 with 2785 viewsrochdaleriddler

Millwall and Colchester Booing on 16:52 - Dec 6 by mightydale

Everyone who disagrees with you is a Gammon,

If I said to you (this is taken from her twitter account before it was deleted)

The tide is changing the white man will be a slave a to the blacks

What would your opinion be of that ??

Again in English ? Who what ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024