Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Apology or sack them? 09:14 - Jan 3 with 2564 viewsDalenet

Anybody else annoyed to see three Tottenham and a West Ham player all breaking covid rules and getting their families together over Christmas. The players have apologised and the clubs say they will deal with it. But these are highly paid role models that knew the rules and chose to break them. Even worse they chose to share it on social media. When everybody else is asked to behave why are they special? These 4 players are all playing here on a work permit .....as much as their clubs would bleat I would withdraw their permits and send them home. How the clubs can simply say they will deal with it is beyond me. Having said that we all know with Cummings that those with money or power can get away with anything.

In the meantime the EFL clubs have another round of covid testing from tomorrow. Will be interesting to see how many more games are called off. The clubs have been given a revised code of conduct for covid this week. They are now being asked to use more than one coach to take the players to games whether the club can afford it or not, plan for game tactics over zoom, and don't allow players to change at grounds or to eat together. Meanwhile clubs can continue to invite guests, media, ambassadors and former players to games, players can spit (that was banned at the start) and can hug, kiss and shake hands as before. Managers don't need to wear face masks. Meanwhile AFC Wimbledon and Lincoln City both declared covid cases ahead of the weekend but were instructed to play yesterday. The EFL are pretty clueless and the guidelines seem to have been plucked from a lucky dip barrel

Apology or sack them? on 10:22 - Jan 3 with 2477 viewsdale1968

It makes me sick that people are still not taking this Virus seriously.
From a personal perspective my wife has had it and my Mother In Law has died from it before Christmas.
I know its difficult for us all at the moment but everybody needs to stick with the guidelines and ride the storm.
These 4 idiots are as you say role models who get paid a lot of money and should know better.

Poll: Should The Military Assist The Police Over Covid Compliance.

Apology or sack them? on 10:37 - Jan 3 with 2446 viewsNigeriamark

Apology or sack them? on 10:22 - Jan 3 by dale1968

It makes me sick that people are still not taking this Virus seriously.
From a personal perspective my wife has had it and my Mother In Law has died from it before Christmas.
I know its difficult for us all at the moment but everybody needs to stick with the guidelines and ride the storm.
These 4 idiots are as you say role models who get paid a lot of money and should know better.

Sorry about your Mother in Law. Washington NFL team fired their quarterback just after he did something similar. 5 Indian players just been caught going for a meal in Oz + numerous other football/sports stars. I'm sure they have all been called together & had the rules & implications given to them on numerous occasions but for some it just doesn't sink in.

On the other side of the argument, can you sack non-famous people from their jobs if they break the rules?
Apology or sack them? on 10:50 - Jan 3 with 2427 viewsTappers

Unfortunately football players do not have the monopoly in stupidity. And am talking all leagues. I see people not wearing masks in supermarkets and kids mixing in large groups. Unless we have full lockdown for month including closing schools we will be stuck with Covid till Xmas.
Apology or sack them? on 11:03 - Jan 3 with 2400 viewsD_Alien

Apology or sack them? on 10:37 - Jan 3 by Nigeriamark

Sorry about your Mother in Law. Washington NFL team fired their quarterback just after he did something similar. 5 Indian players just been caught going for a meal in Oz + numerous other football/sports stars. I'm sure they have all been called together & had the rules & implications given to them on numerous occasions but for some it just doesn't sink in.

On the other side of the argument, can you sack non-famous people from their jobs if they break the rules?

Interesting last point you raise there

I very much agree with the general feeling of disgust. There may be difficulties in just removing work permits beyond its apparent simplicity, both from a legal point of view but also in terms of internal cohesion within clubs

We're also seeing widespread flouting of rules by 'exercise tourists' in places like Wales, with just a warning given. The Cummings episode is the most glaring example of course, but i believe the vast majority of those ignoring the rules would be doing so regardless, simply because that's the way they are - absolute tossers

If nothing else, the players should be fined 100% of their wages whilst they isolate - or longer - and the money donated to NHS or other bodies involved in the relief of Covid suffering, as well as being made to make a very public apology

[Post edited 3 Jan 2021 11:08]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Apology or sack them? on 11:14 - Jan 3 with 2384 viewsDaleiLama

Apology or sack them? on 10:50 - Jan 3 by Tappers

Unfortunately football players do not have the monopoly in stupidity. And am talking all leagues. I see people not wearing masks in supermarkets and kids mixing in large groups. Unless we have full lockdown for month including closing schools we will be stuck with Covid till Xmas.

Sorry for your loss Dale1968.

On the subject of mask wearing I was in Tesco yesterday (with a mask on despite having recovered from Covid so probably not a potential spreader and still being able to breathe in spite of being asthmatic) and a woman was wiping down a trolley handle, inside the store, with no mask on. Unfortunately the vaccine for stupidity is lagging behind the Covid vaccines.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Apology or sack them? on 11:46 - Jan 3 with 2331 viewspioneer

And now india objecting to the quarantine arrangements for the 4th test in Brisbane. Its the same arrangements that have been in place in Queensland since sports restarted back in May. It couldnt have anything to do with Australia being unbeaten at the Gabba since 1988 could it?

They really do think they are special dont they.
Apology or sack them? on 11:47 - Jan 3 with 2328 viewsisitme

The major issue that is overlooked is how long restrictions have been in place for and the toll that these take on people's mental health. Some people can live with as many restrictions the government throws at them and in a perverse way, a few appear to enjoy them. The majority will have reached some sort of point where they are making their own judgments in some areas, whilst following the vast majority of restrictions. I wonder how many people can honestly say that they have followed every single restriction since their introduction from March?

Being wealthy and in the public eye does not make someone immune to the psychological toll of restrictions.
Apology or sack them? on 11:51 - Jan 3 with 2309 viewsisitme

Haskins was going anyway. His breach of Covid restrictions was the straw that broke the camel's back and voided his remaining contract guarantees that made him easier (and cheaper) to cut.
Login to get fewer ads

Apology or sack them? on 12:12 - Jan 3 with 2266 viewsSandyman

And another one...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55520725
Apology or sack them? on 12:15 - Jan 3 with 2258 viewsisitme

And more

https://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/138461/police-is
Apology or sack them? on 12:32 - Jan 3 with 2224 viewsrichfoad32

An apology would do fine for me, I don't want to see people's lives ruined because they've made a stupid mistake. If wife beaters, alleged rapists, drunk drivers and others can carry on with their football careers, then they can as well.

I don't think footballers are role models anyway. They're paid a lot of money to kick a ball about, big deal. There's a big difference between admiring someone's football skills and looking up to them as a person. Role models for children should begin at home, the amount of footballers who are decent people/dickheads is just the same as any other cross section of society.
Apology or sack them? on 12:32 - Jan 3 with 2223 viewsNigeriamark

Apology or sack them? on 11:47 - Jan 3 by isitme

The major issue that is overlooked is how long restrictions have been in place for and the toll that these take on people's mental health. Some people can live with as many restrictions the government throws at them and in a perverse way, a few appear to enjoy them. The majority will have reached some sort of point where they are making their own judgments in some areas, whilst following the vast majority of restrictions. I wonder how many people can honestly say that they have followed every single restriction since their introduction from March?

Being wealthy and in the public eye does not make someone immune to the psychological toll of restrictions.

while I agree with your sentiments regarding the mental difficulties of following guidelines for so long, unfortunately people doing their own thing makes it worse. Government communications have been very poor but in their defence, no matter how many opinions there are, they have to go with one set of guidance. Take the current issue of should schools open or close. There are plenty arguing both sides but at the end of the day the government have to make a decision

I actually think there are probably quite a lot of people who will have followed guidelines even though they have changed a lot, or some who may have accidentally broken some. The issue is more those who were breaking them from day 1 ( April) or those breaking them now & trying to justify it because of their own situation. I would still say they are a minority albeit a growing one. In the UK the vaccine is really the only solution as the government has probably lost too many due to its poor communications of what and why it has implemented what it is doing.
Apology or sack them? on 12:39 - Jan 3 with 2174 viewsD_Alien

Apology or sack them? on 12:32 - Jan 3 by Nigeriamark

while I agree with your sentiments regarding the mental difficulties of following guidelines for so long, unfortunately people doing their own thing makes it worse. Government communications have been very poor but in their defence, no matter how many opinions there are, they have to go with one set of guidance. Take the current issue of should schools open or close. There are plenty arguing both sides but at the end of the day the government have to make a decision

I actually think there are probably quite a lot of people who will have followed guidelines even though they have changed a lot, or some who may have accidentally broken some. The issue is more those who were breaking them from day 1 ( April) or those breaking them now & trying to justify it because of their own situation. I would still say they are a minority albeit a growing one. In the UK the vaccine is really the only solution as the government has probably lost too many due to its poor communications of what and why it has implemented what it is doing.

You ruin a good post with your last point

It's pretty much every government in liberal democracies that are struggling. Mixed messaging doesn't help, but it's not the reason that people are dying from Covid

[Post edited 3 Jan 2021 12:40]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Apology or sack them? on 13:00 - Jan 3 with 2130 viewsDalenet

Apology or sack them? on 12:32 - Jan 3 by richfoad32

An apology would do fine for me, I don't want to see people's lives ruined because they've made a stupid mistake. If wife beaters, alleged rapists, drunk drivers and others can carry on with their football careers, then they can as well.

I don't think footballers are role models anyway. They're paid a lot of money to kick a ball about, big deal. There's a big difference between admiring someone's football skills and looking up to them as a person. Role models for children should begin at home, the amount of footballers who are decent people/dickheads is just the same as any other cross section of society.

I can see your perspective but I don't accept they made a mistake. They deliberately ignored the rules that had been briefed by their club (no language issue to argue) and decided to do what they wanted regardless. I find it shocking to be honest and symptomatic of the culture fostered in top level football. There are plenty of top home grown players that have behaved inappropriately too. Man City has had a couple and Mourinho continued to train players during the first phase of lockdown against the rules I seem to remember.
Apology or sack them? on 15:00 - Jan 3 with 1972 viewsfunkkk

Anybody who sees footballers as role models needs to have a word with themselves.

It’s absolutely right that it should be left to an employer to decide how to deal with a rule breach from one of their employees.
Apology or sack them? on 08:57 - Jan 4 with 1756 viewsNigeriamark

Apology or sack them? on 12:39 - Jan 3 by D_Alien

You ruin a good post with your last point

It's pretty much every government in liberal democracies that are struggling. Mixed messaging doesn't help, but it's not the reason that people are dying from Covid

[Post edited 3 Jan 2021 12:40]

Probably my bad English, but by lost too many, I meant lost people prepared to follow guidelines or advice, not lost their life,
Apology or sack them? on 16:27 - Jan 4 with 1551 viewsJames1980

Oxford have suspended 2 youth players for attending a party

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/news/oxford-united-youth-players-co
[Post edited 4 Jan 2021 16:50]

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024