Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tony Collins has died. 16:24 - Feb 8 with 3434 viewsSuddenLad

RIP to a fine man and condolences to his family.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Tony Collins has died. on 16:44 - Feb 8 with 3358 viewsboromat

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Tony Collins has died. on 16:44 - Feb 8 with 3358 viewssince58

R.I.P. Tony.
God bless.
Tony Collins has died. on 16:50 - Feb 8 with 3342 viewsmingthemerciless

He was the manager when I first set foot in Spotland. He was responsible for some good teams and players in his day, all bought on a shoe string. Big Reg, George Morton, Graham Cunliffe, Laurie Calloway, Dave Storf. If somebody had have given him a go at the cheque book who knows what he might have done ?

Thanks for memories, Tony.
Tony Collins has died. on 17:29 - Feb 8 with 3238 views49thseason

Great memories indeed, Tony Collins put together a team that was greater than the sum of its parts and didn't they do well! Most of them are now waiting to meet him again , I think there are only 2 or 3 of the Cup Final side still alive, Ray Aspden, Lou Bimpson and maybe Jimmy Thompson. No big wages, no big egos, just hard working lads who did their best week in week out for a manager who was a gentleman. Wonderful days , thank you Tony.
Tony Collins has died. on 19:23 - Feb 8 with 3041 viewstony_roch975

Collins is before my time in Rochdale but is this another moment for a tribute - sounds like he did a good job as manager but equally importantly he had a great impact. What about another statue or naming a stand - surely Dale employing the first black football manager has to be marked, even more so in the current climate?

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Tony Collins has died. on 20:07 - Feb 8 with 2951 viewsTVOS1907

Tony Collins has died. on 17:29 - Feb 8 by 49thseason

Great memories indeed, Tony Collins put together a team that was greater than the sum of its parts and didn't they do well! Most of them are now waiting to meet him again , I think there are only 2 or 3 of the Cup Final side still alive, Ray Aspden, Lou Bimpson and maybe Jimmy Thompson. No big wages, no big egos, just hard working lads who did their best week in week out for a manager who was a gentleman. Wonderful days , thank you Tony.

Norman Bodell still seems to be alive

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Tony Collins has died. on 20:22 - Feb 8 with 2912 viewsEllDale

Tony Collins has died. on 16:50 - Feb 8 by mingthemerciless

He was the manager when I first set foot in Spotland. He was responsible for some good teams and players in his day, all bought on a shoe string. Big Reg, George Morton, Graham Cunliffe, Laurie Calloway, Dave Storf. If somebody had have given him a go at the cheque book who knows what he might have done ?

Thanks for memories, Tony.

Great point that.
He had to sell players to survive at times eg Paul Crossley, Dave Storf and Lawrie Calloway.
Still fashioned that League Cup final team and don’t forget that we had a decent shot at promotion in 1964 before faltering in the run-in.
And if nothing else he signed Reg Jenkins.
Met him a few times when I was in the same schools team as his son Andy and he came watching our games on Wednesday afternoons. Really nice bloke.
RIP.
Tony Collins on 21:29 - Feb 8 with 2843 viewsAlexF

Monumental respect to a man of history
[Post edited 8 Feb 2021 21:35]
Login to get fewer ads

Tony Collins has died. on 22:47 - Feb 8 with 2747 viewsD_Dale

The above posts show the place Tony Collins holds in the club's history. It is particularly saddening that tomorrow night, or in the next few weeks or more, today's fans won't be gathering to applaud his memory ahead of kick-off.
Tony Collins has died. on 10:12 - Feb 9 with 2598 viewsjonahwhereru

Sounds like a life really well lived, good on ya Tony. Sad that it has come to any end. RIP
Tony Collins has died. on 10:34 - Feb 9 with 2581 viewspioneer

Tonys 8 consecutive seasons in charge is the longest continuous run as manager in peacetime.
Only Ted Goodier has a longer spell which included the second world war years.

Some other bloke did 10 years over two spells.
Tony Collins has died. on 10:40 - Feb 9 with 2575 views100notout

Never met Tony but from what I have read he was clearly a fantastic, talented and humble guy. Hope the club come up with some lasting gesture of remembrance. Worked with his daughter Sarita in the 90's - lovely girl. Condolences to the family.
RIP

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Tony Collins has died. on 10:43 - Feb 9 with 2571 viewsSandyman

There were a couple of features about Tony Collins on Dotun Adebayo's night show on Radio 5. Click the link and go forward to 3:10:00 and again at 3:37:20

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000s26y
Tony Collins has died. on 12:44 - Feb 9 with 2493 viewsbluevein64

Tony Collins has died. on 22:47 - Feb 8 by D_Dale

The above posts show the place Tony Collins holds in the club's history. It is particularly saddening that tomorrow night, or in the next few weeks or more, today's fans won't be gathering to applaud his memory ahead of kick-off.

With regards to the Clubs history I've read that Tony Collins was the Football League's fist Black Manager, am I correct with my understanding that Danny Bargara was the fist South American manager when he signed for Dale.
Tony Collins has died. on 12:58 - Feb 9 with 2465 viewsTVOS1907

Tony Collins has died. on 12:44 - Feb 9 by bluevein64

With regards to the Clubs history I've read that Tony Collins was the Football League's fist Black Manager, am I correct with my understanding that Danny Bargara was the fist South American manager when he signed for Dale.

Yes, I think he was.

He was certainly Dale's first South American manager!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Tony Collins has died. on 16:24 - Feb 9 with 2393 viewsSilverDale

Watched him as a youngster, running unmarked into the dip at the Sandy lane end, waving both arms for the ball, and then delivering a fine left wing cross from which we scored.
Always seemed to be a very well respected manager and scout. Bumped into him a number of years later having Sunday lunch with "FSR"( Guess where?). Talked football with our party for much longer than necessary. Great respect for what he achieved for Rochdale in the 60's and the wider football family throughout his life.

Rest in Peace ,Tony, Condolences to your family.
Tony Collins has died. on 17:49 - Feb 9 with 2316 viewsEllDale

I would hazard a guess at The Crimble!
Tony Collins has died. on 18:03 - Feb 9 with 2298 viewssince58

Tony Collins has died. on 17:49 - Feb 9 by EllDale

I would hazard a guess at The Crimble!

R.I.P.
Crimble as well.
Tony Collins has died. on 12:47 - Feb 13 with 2108 views442Dale

Good feature on Tony Collins on Football Focus including what looked like a brief clip from the 1962 League Cup Final.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Tony Collins has died. on 10:50 - Feb 22 with 1931 viewsDaleiLama

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Tony Collins has died. on 12:13 - Feb 25 with 1656 viewsD_Alien

https://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/139439/tribute-p

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024