Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. 13:43 - Feb 19 with 19319 viewsBigKindo

It gives me great sadness to have to add yet another thread re the parlous state of Rochdale AFC. In recent times, in remaining silent, I have constantly had to bite my bottom lip. Alas enough is enough and my feelings should be laid bare.
I first attended a match at the Dale in 1949 and have been a season ticket holder for many years, perhaps more than I care to remember especially if I added up the cost. Not so much in recent seasons but I have occasionally attended away matches and been warmly greeted by fellow Daleys in hostelries as far away as Barnet, Wycombe, Torquay, Newport, Brentford etc. I have experienced many highs and sadly the many lows coupled with following a poorly supported club. But despite not being born in Rochdale, the Dale have been my team. My defence of the club following snide and sarcastic comments from supporters of other ’bigger’ clubs has honed the sharpness of my retorts. But now the same commentators have turned to express concern and sadness, and question what has gone wrong at Dale..
Unless things change within the upper echelons of the Club I fear that this will be my and my wife’s last season of attending. Ah I hear you mutter. ‘another wanting rid of BBM.’ Well although that may help the situation, but as others have so eloquently written, BBM. might become the sacrificial lamb in an attempt to divert attention away from the serious situation at the club. If BBM departs there will be no changes further up the pecking order.
My feelings are that the wheels started to come off on the appointment of the current C.E.O. Mr David Bottomley. The club is no longer family friendly orientated and Mr Bottomley appears to have ignored the need for customers and appears to take us, well certainly in my case, for granted. What a very strange way to run a business.
On August 21st 2020 I sent Mr Bottomley a polite email requesting the Club’s policy for the forthcoming season re Blue Badge Car Parking pass holders. I sent a reminder email to him on September 17th. 2020. I thereafter received a response from the then Club Secretary. On October 2nd. 2020 I sent a further email to Mr Bottomley, which I felt to be constructive, re the Club’s offer to refund season ticket monies. Again no response. In week ending October 16th. I received a telephone call from another Board Member i.e. the Club’s courtesy call made to those considered vulnerable during the pandemic. The subject of my email was raised, a requested copy was forwarded, and I was assured that the matter would be taken up with the C.E.O. I also understand that similar approaches were made by the Trust on my behalf. To date I have heard nothing from Mr Bottomley. I have not even had the courtesy of an acknowledgment re my last email. What a very odd way to treat any customer either long-standing or new.
Having successfully run my own business for 40 years I certainly know the value of paying loyal customers, and suppliers, and as a Director the need to comply with the various statutory bodies examples being the Information Commissioners Office, Trading Standards Office, P.R.S. Licensing etc. I am extremely interested to know that when the position of C.E.O. became available, and prior to Mr Bottomley’s appointment, was the position advertised, how many applications were received, how many were interviewed and who decided whom was the best candidate? Or, perhaps, as rumours suggest you opted to fulfil the position yourself. There appears to be some disquiet over a previous decision to take away the ‘Club privileges’ from two ex long-serving (suffering?) Directors, privileges which thankfully were later re-instated. But the rumour mill has also thrown up that other ex long-standing Directors are currently banned from the Club. Is this fact or an Apocrypha?
Hopefully the previous paragraph has given Mr Bottomley a platform, an opportunity, to respond and refute these constantly circulating rumours to the benefit of the Club, his own position and the Club’s loyal supporters. Answers are needed and quickly before the situation deteriorates. But will he respond? Previous experience says no and that ignorance is bliss.
And now yesterday’s news that the Chairman had decided to stand down. ‘For personal reasons’ can mean a multitude of things. Hopefully it is not a health issue. I had several occasions to speak with him after matches and I found him to be polite and he always thanked me for attending the match.
So it appears that the question I pose, perhaps, is that Team Rochdale has become Team Bottomley. In the end all Empires sooner or later collapse. The problem is the remaining detritus which has to be garnered up by others in an attempt to restore the norm. This has all makings and content of a Shakespearean Tragedy and however long the situation is spun out the end result will be the same.
Can anybody provide an answer? I certainly know what my solution would be.
Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 09:08 - Feb 25 with 3379 viewsBigKindo

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 07:56 - Feb 25 by judd

I wonder, in the midst of all this, if BigKindo ever got any sort of response to his emails?

No.
Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 09:28 - Feb 25 with 3339 viewsjudd

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 09:08 - Feb 25 by BigKindo

No.

There's time yet...

Poll: What is it to be then?

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 10:50 - Feb 25 with 3255 viewsnordenblue

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 08:17 - Feb 25 by James1980

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/club/club-charter/

RAFC will respond to any contact from customers by telephone, email, letter, or fax within 14 days, and will respond by the most efficient and appropriate method of communication (phone, email, post). In the event that we feel unable to satisfy any matter raised within 14 days, an acknowledgement will be sent indicating the time scale that we anticipate resolving the issue.

I'd say the lack of response to BK contravenes the club charter

Is anybody in the least bit surprised by this?
Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 10:52 - Feb 25 with 3256 viewsBigKindo

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 09:28 - Feb 25 by judd

There's time yet...

The gestation period of our pet elephant was shorter.
Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 11:28 - Feb 25 with 3204 viewsDaleiLama

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 10:52 - Feb 25 by BigKindo

And it's still in the room, but at least it's being discussed openly now.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 11:34 - Feb 25 with 3185 viewsSuddenLad

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 10:52 - Feb 25 by BigKindo

I told you I was worried about the smell, but hopefully, the elephant has got used to it by now.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 11:50 - Feb 25 with 3135 viewsD_Alien

Can we leave pachydermophobia out of this, please?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 11:56 - Feb 25 with 3121 viewsSuddenLad

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 11:50 - Feb 25 by D_Alien

Howdah others feel about that?

Login to get fewer ads

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 12:03 - Feb 25 with 3098 viewsD_Alien

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 11:56 - Feb 25 by SuddenLad

They should take a back seat

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 12:09 - Feb 25 with 3078 viewsDaleiLama

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 11:56 - Feb 25 by SuddenLad

I'll listen to any bal-anced argument if that Alps?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 18:09 - Feb 25 with 2894 viewsjudd

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 08:17 - Feb 25 by James1980

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/club/club-charter/

RAFC will respond to any contact from customers by telephone, email, letter, or fax within 14 days, and will respond by the most efficient and appropriate method of communication (phone, email, post). In the event that we feel unable to satisfy any matter raised within 14 days, an acknowledgement will be sent indicating the time scale that we anticipate resolving the issue.

I'd say the lack of response to BK contravenes the club charter

Interesting that you have linked that charter.

On 1st May 2019, with regards recruitment, it read:

"Employment with the Club
The club is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to equal opportunity within our own organisation and will endeavour to encourage similar commitment from others within the game.
Equality at the Club means that in none of our activities including when vacancies arise across the Business will we discriminate against any person on the grounds of the age, gender, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marital status or civil partnership race, nationality, ethnicity (race), religion or belief, ability or disability or pregnancy and maternity and we will ensure this applies within the recruitment and Selection process by way of;

- The advertisement of Employment
- The selection of candidates for employment or promotion.
- Employment location or working environment
- Pay and employment terms and conditions.
- Internal training and development opportunities
- Football development schemes
- External education activities and qualifications

On 10th May, the Trust reported:

"We received questions from two Trust members that related to the appointment of the Chief Executive, the Club Charter and a number of questions associated with this. These were put in full to the Chairman and the Board of Directors. The club responded to these in their entirety by stating that The Board of Directors have made the decision to appoint the current CEO and retain full confidence in his appointment and the selective process applied."

The club charter was subsequent to 1st May at the earliest, possibly coincidentally, amended to read as it does below:
"The club is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to equal opportunity within our own organisation and will endeavour to encourage similar commitment from individuals and organisations within the game.
Equality at the Club means that in none of our activities including when vacancies arise across the Business will we discriminate against any person on the grounds of the age, gender, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marital status or civil partnership race, nationality, ethnicity (race), religion or belief, ability or disability or pregnancy and maternity. On some occasions operational reasons may mean that we need to fill a role either quickly or by business need. Generallywe will follow the the recruitment and Selection process by way of;

- Employment opportunities being advertised whenever possible
- External education activities and qualifications"

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 18:15 - Feb 25 with 2876 viewsD_Alien

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 18:09 - Feb 25 by judd

Interesting that you have linked that charter.

On 1st May 2019, with regards recruitment, it read:

"Employment with the Club
The club is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to equal opportunity within our own organisation and will endeavour to encourage similar commitment from others within the game.
Equality at the Club means that in none of our activities including when vacancies arise across the Business will we discriminate against any person on the grounds of the age, gender, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marital status or civil partnership race, nationality, ethnicity (race), religion or belief, ability or disability or pregnancy and maternity and we will ensure this applies within the recruitment and Selection process by way of;

- The advertisement of Employment
- External education activities and qualifications

On 10th May, the Trust reported:

"We received questions from two Trust members that related to the appointment of the Chief Executive, the Club Charter and a number of questions associated with this. These were put in full to the Chairman and the Board of Directors. The club responded to these in their entirety by stating that The Board of Directors have made the decision to appoint the current CEO and retain full confidence in his appointment and the selective process applied."

The club charter was subsequent to 1st May at the earliest, possibly coincidentally, amended to read as it does below:
"The club is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to equal opportunity within our own organisation and will endeavour to encourage similar commitment from individuals and organisations within the game.
Equality at the Club means that in none of our activities including when vacancies arise across the Business will we discriminate against any person on the grounds of the age, gender, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marital status or civil partnership race, nationality, ethnicity (race), religion or belief, ability or disability or pregnancy and maternity. On some occasions operational reasons may mean that we need to fill a role either quickly or by business need. Generallywe will follow the the recruitment and Selection process by way of;

- Employment opportunities being advertised whenever possible
- External education activities and qualifications"

Wow

Whenever is it not possible to advertise employment opportunities?

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 18:24 - Feb 25 with 2842 views442Dale

Had to check, but yes, it really is showing as “Generallywe will follow the the recruitment and Selection process by way of;” with no gap between the first two words and the duplication of a word.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 18:26 - Feb 25 with 2831 viewsjudd

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 18:24 - Feb 25 by 442Dale

Had to check, but yes, it really is showing as “Generallywe will follow the the recruitment and Selection process by way of;” with no gap between the first two words and the duplication of a word.

As I said...less haste, more speed?

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 19:08 - Feb 25 with 2712 viewsBigKindo

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 11:50 - Feb 25 by D_Alien

I thought that was one the moon's of Uranus
Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 19:20 - Feb 25 with 2672 viewsSuddenLad

Clumsy attempt to change the goalposts.

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 21:15 - Feb 25 with 2471 viewsmikehunt

The whole of the Dale Family are equalbut some are more equal than others.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 21:33 - Feb 25 with 2427 viewsjudd

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 21:15 - Feb 25 by mikehunt

The whole of the Dale Family are equalbut some are more equal than others.

If you read the whole charter I am sure that the equality champion name and job title is specified early on.

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 23:06 - Feb 25 with 2286 viewsD_Alien

"On some occasions operational reasons may mean that we need to fill a role either quickly or by business need."

The more i think about this, the more disingenuous it becomes. What this section of the amended charter involves is what is usually known as someone stepping into a role in an 'acting' capacity, to cover "business need" until a substantive appointment can be made by responsible recruitment methods. To suggest a permanent appointment has to be made in such circumstances is utterly unprofessional and the club should be ashamed for having this particular sentence in its charter

[Post edited 25 Feb 2021 23:38]

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 16:06 - Feb 26 with 1978 viewsBigKindo

Well a week has passed since I posted this thread. Thank you to all those who sent me private messages. I wasn't happy to read BBM being included in the thread. That was never the intention of this thread. It was to highlight alleged situations further up the food chain starting with particular reference to my being ignored and also to present a platform for the CEO to refute rumours emanating around the actions or inactions within the Club. Alas, to date, that opportunity has not been taken. Unfortunately silence and the expressions 'I have no comment to make at this time and/or there is no case to answer.' can quite wrongly lead to people pointing a finger without having full knowledge of the facts - perhaps guilt by default. I would not want that to happen. To the four down voters, suffolkdale, 56years, Frites and 2045004247 it would have been good if you could have produced a positive contribution to perhaps give a more balanced view.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2021 16:10]
Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 18:08 - Feb 26 with 1848 viewsJames1980

I am trying to work out what the ultimate goal might be. Is the vision for Rochdale AFC to be a trendy club. Playing the in vogue footballing style, managed by our man at C&A manager. The local kids pointing out to their school mates saying 'look that lad on the left wing went to our school.' That maybe in this new groovy set up. The powers that be short shortsightedly feel there is no place for a cash collection on the door step lottery.
Also do they actually not really care about some of the old guard of the fanbase? Do they think 'a few old duffers moaning about the music the price of pies and not playing 1980s style football wouldn't be a great loss' because they think 'local hipsters will descend down Sandy Lane in their droves if they hear there are less main stand moaners and the likes of Mr Angry are getting enraged with another Saturday afternoon, Tuesday evening pursuit'
[Post edited 26 Feb 2021 20:13]

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 22:03 - Mar 1 with 1544 viewsjudd

I wonder if a response was ever emailed to the OP?

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 23:52 - Mar 1 with 1423 viewsD_Alien

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 22:03 - Mar 1 by judd

I wonder if a response was ever emailed to the OP?

Last week's departure of Andrew Kilpatrick left an "invisible man" vacancy at the club

As seems to be his wont, DB may have stepped into the role uninvited

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 07:14 - Mar 2 with 1298 views1907

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 16:06 - Feb 26 by BigKindo

Well a week has passed since I posted this thread. Thank you to all those who sent me private messages. I wasn't happy to read BBM being included in the thread. That was never the intention of this thread. It was to highlight alleged situations further up the food chain starting with particular reference to my being ignored and also to present a platform for the CEO to refute rumours emanating around the actions or inactions within the Club. Alas, to date, that opportunity has not been taken. Unfortunately silence and the expressions 'I have no comment to make at this time and/or there is no case to answer.' can quite wrongly lead to people pointing a finger without having full knowledge of the facts - perhaps guilt by default. I would not want that to happen. To the four down voters, suffolkdale, 56years, Frites and 2045004247 it would have been good if you could have produced a positive contribution to perhaps give a more balanced view.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2021 16:10]

Just downvoted that by accident apologies
Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 07:49 - Mar 2 with 1267 viewsjudd

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 23:52 - Mar 1 by D_Alien

Last week's departure of Andrew Kilpatrick left an "invisible man" vacancy at the club

As seems to be his wont, DB may have stepped into the role uninvited

Invisible?

Nah.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024