Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth 20:40 - Feb 19 with 16689 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

Match Preview: Rochdale vs Plymouth 19th Feb 2021 20:38
Attention reverts back to on-field matters and Dale's increasingly worrying slide towards the relegation zone on Saturday with a home fixture against Plymouth Argyle. 0

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 18:12 - Feb 20 with 3292 viewsSaxonDale

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 18:06 - Feb 20 by richfoad32

What am I missing with Shaughnessy? He's a useful aerial presence and neat and tidy with the ball but looks very one paced, though admittedly he is probably still trying to get himself up to scratch with fitness. To also be fair, he did manage to support the attack and get shots away a couple of times but 'excellent', really? We looked far better after he went off. I'm not trying to bash or write him off by the way, I'm sure there's much more to come from him.

I’d agree that excellent may be a stretch but I must say I’ve been more impressed with him as he’s got more minutes under his belt. Definitely seems to add some much-needed aerial presence in our own box and he seems to do the simple things well. Most of his passes were to feet and only 10/15 yards but most importantly they were almost almost always forwards. Would still hope to see him contribute even more to the defensive side of the team though.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 18:14 - Feb 20 with 3278 viewsChaffRAFC

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 18:12 - Feb 20 by SaxonDale

I’d agree that excellent may be a stretch but I must say I’ve been more impressed with him as he’s got more minutes under his belt. Definitely seems to add some much-needed aerial presence in our own box and he seems to do the simple things well. Most of his passes were to feet and only 10/15 yards but most importantly they were almost almost always forwards. Would still hope to see him contribute even more to the defensive side of the team though.

Agree with that, thought he did well today and looks a tidy player. Kept the ball well and his height is an asset too. Still getting match fit and I think I've seen enough to know there's a good player in there.

In addition to that, I thought Rathbone was excellent today. Thought he was our best player on Tuesday as well but today, everything good in an attacking sense came through him. Long may that continue because when he's like that, he's a huge asset.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 18:22 - Feb 20 with 3199 viewsfinberty

Good result in the context of the last few results. McShane is such a stabilising presence as is McLaughlin, which then helps O'Connell too.

I continue to be frustrated with Morley's deadball efforts. Each corner and each free kick I saw (I only saw the 2nd half) did not beat the first defender, meaning that the attack fizzled out each time. Such an avoidable anti-climax. When he then tried a long raking pass near the end he overhit it to no-one. Having said that, he deserve something with that thunderbolt that the keeper had to do well to save.

Controversial point is I thought Done looked much more at ease up front and running at them, rather than being run at himself.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 18:26 - Feb 20 with 3169 views100notout

Much better performance today especially the second half. Open game and chances at both ends but I thought we just about edged it. Sunday league mistakes in the first half were really annoying - several players were guilty and need to cut them out.

Mcshane was a huge improvement at the back and agree with Rathbone as MoM

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 18:36 - Feb 20 with 3109 viewsfirgrovedale51

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 18:22 - Feb 20 by finberty

Good result in the context of the last few results. McShane is such a stabilising presence as is McLaughlin, which then helps O'Connell too.

I continue to be frustrated with Morley's deadball efforts. Each corner and each free kick I saw (I only saw the 2nd half) did not beat the first defender, meaning that the attack fizzled out each time. Such an avoidable anti-climax. When he then tried a long raking pass near the end he overhit it to no-one. Having said that, he deserve something with that thunderbolt that the keeper had to do well to save.

Controversial point is I thought Done looked much more at ease up front and running at them, rather than being run at himself.

Agree with McShane and McLaughlin in we look better at the back and I also thought Done had a good game when he came on
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 18:36 - Feb 20 with 3097 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 17:34 - Feb 20 by golfaduffy

Whoops...I'm sure they were winning when I looked. Even better for us then !!

Cobblers!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 20:47 - Feb 20 with 2667 viewsdingdangblue

Much, much better today. McShane and O'Connell are a formidable partnership and you could tell there was more leadership and experience in defence. Such a shame Baah's pass to Humphrys was underhit in the 2nd half - although their keeper would have still taken some beating. If McShane can somehow get his body through the remaining games I'd fancy us to stay up - but that's a massive if.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 20:50 - Feb 20 with 2660 views49thseason

It was better today, the propensity to play silly passes and to try and dribble out of tricky situations was still there but the defence looked stronger and at least the midfield were looking to pass forwards. Shaughnessy is still a little off the pace but is starting to use his size and he seems to be able to pick a pass. Definitely a step in the right direction. I am amused that some think Done has woken up, it must be the run in to new contracts time again. We need to stop playing all 11 in defence for corners and leave at least Newby on the half way line if only to keep a couple of opposition defenders from going forwards and at least it offers some sort of "out" for the hoofed clearance.
Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 21:41 - Feb 20 with 2511 viewsEllDale

Just a few random thoughts now that the dust has settled.
Wasn’t it great not to concede a goal? Having said that, their lad should have scored with the header after only three minutes when the ball went over McShane’s head.
After that McShane didn’t put a foot wrong and his presence seemed to bring the best out of those around him. We must have made blocked more shots today than in a lot of other games and for such a porous defence it’s nice to see that we’ve just conceded one goal in two games.
If McShane isn’t fit for Tuesday then perhaps Osho should be the man to partner O’Connell with McLaughlin at right back. Ok if the latter can’t play for 90 minutes then he should start and come off after an hour if needs be.
Like other posters I am still baffled at times by the enigmatic Morley.
Comment has been made about not clearing the first, near post defender with corners but surely he must be under instructions to keep plugging away with that tactic.
And if that goal had gone in in the second half then we would all have been on our feet at home.
That was a tremendous safe by their keeper. If Pickford or Pope had done that it would be all over the television for days.
The injury to Lund is worrying. In the absence of Beesley and Vale it leaves Humphrys ploughing a lonely furrow upfront.
Finally I thought that Baah looked far more comfortable attacking their right back in the second half rather than being tucked away on the right before the break.
The fact that he was switched showed some tactical acumen that we have been criticised for lacking.
All in all much more encouraging as we might have lost that game a month ago.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 21:52 - Feb 20 with 2460 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 21:41 - Feb 20 by EllDale

Just a few random thoughts now that the dust has settled.
Wasn’t it great not to concede a goal? Having said that, their lad should have scored with the header after only three minutes when the ball went over McShane’s head.
After that McShane didn’t put a foot wrong and his presence seemed to bring the best out of those around him. We must have made blocked more shots today than in a lot of other games and for such a porous defence it’s nice to see that we’ve just conceded one goal in two games.
If McShane isn’t fit for Tuesday then perhaps Osho should be the man to partner O’Connell with McLaughlin at right back. Ok if the latter can’t play for 90 minutes then he should start and come off after an hour if needs be.
Like other posters I am still baffled at times by the enigmatic Morley.
Comment has been made about not clearing the first, near post defender with corners but surely he must be under instructions to keep plugging away with that tactic.
And if that goal had gone in in the second half then we would all have been on our feet at home.
That was a tremendous safe by their keeper. If Pickford or Pope had done that it would be all over the television for days.
The injury to Lund is worrying. In the absence of Beesley and Vale it leaves Humphrys ploughing a lonely furrow upfront.
Finally I thought that Baah looked far more comfortable attacking their right back in the second half rather than being tucked away on the right before the break.
The fact that he was switched showed some tactical acumen that we have been criticised for lacking.
All in all much more encouraging as we might have lost that game a month ago.

If Pickford did it, I would think we were seeing things!

Although, of course, Morley did score with a similar effort at Home Park in December.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 22:34 - Feb 20 with 2376 viewsdale1968

Thought Ryan Lowes constant comments about the pitch in his PMI were a tad concerning considering the money spent on it.

Poll: Should The Military Assist The Police Over Covid Compliance.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 22:57 - Feb 20 with 2312 viewsDySporting

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 22:34 - Feb 20 by dale1968

Thought Ryan Lowes constant comments about the pitch in his PMI were a tad concerning considering the money spent on it.

Sitting pitchside today, the pitch was immaculate- nothing to complain about. Christ has he been to the likes of Peterborough recently, that looked like a ploughed field earlier this month
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 23:00 - Feb 20 with 2293 viewsTVOS1907

He seems to forget we have already played on their bowling green - and beat them 4-0!

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 10:11 - Feb 21 with 1890 viewsboromat

Looked like it played well to me don't remember any ridiculous bobbles or anything. It is starting to lack grass in areas but that's to be expected.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 10:26 - Feb 21 with 1844 viewsDaleiLama

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 10:11 - Feb 21 by boromat

Looked like it played well to me don't remember any ridiculous bobbles or anything. It is starting to lack grass in areas but that's to be expected.

Absolutely. Seem to remember it had covers on it for the best part of a week during that cold snap?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 10:27 - Feb 21 with 1842 viewsJames1980

That was much better and a very valuable point, they do all add up. The cleansheet will help the confidence of the defence. It is frustrating that we have another injury hopefully Lund won't be out for too many games. Everything crossed McShane can stay fit enough to play the proportion of games BBM and the medical team were expecting him to play when he was given a contract.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 10:35 - Feb 21 with 1827 viewsseasidedale

Think a difference in the second half was the info of McLaughlin as he was pushing forward it stopped their left winger pushing forward as in first half he was beating Osho everytime
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 11:16 - Feb 21 with 1727 viewspioneer

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 23:00 - Feb 20 by TVOS1907

He seems to forget we have already played on their bowling green - and beat them 4-0!

Tactic to take the pressure of his team who have been unable to score against us in 180 minutes of footy.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 11:19 - Feb 21 with 1722 viewsAtThePeake

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 18:14 - Feb 20 by ChaffRAFC

Agree with that, thought he did well today and looks a tidy player. Kept the ball well and his height is an asset too. Still getting match fit and I think I've seen enough to know there's a good player in there.

In addition to that, I thought Rathbone was excellent today. Thought he was our best player on Tuesday as well but today, everything good in an attacking sense came through him. Long may that continue because when he's like that, he's a huge asset.

On Shaughnessy, I thought on Tuesday that his performance reminded me of some of Jimmy Ryan's earlier games, where you could see the quality and the ideas were right but that sharpness both physically and mentally was maybe lacking, which is understandable with so few games under his belt recently. However, each game has been an improvement on the last so far, so hopefully it won't take him the three or four months it took Ryan to get up to full speed.

Also agree re: Rathbone. His best performance of the season.

Tangled up in blue.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 11:19 - Feb 21 with 1722 viewsAtThePeake

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 22:57 - Feb 20 by DySporting

Sitting pitchside today, the pitch was immaculate- nothing to complain about. Christ has he been to the likes of Peterborough recently, that looked like a ploughed field earlier this month

To be fair a lot of passes did seem to be bobbling up to me, I was surprised there wasn't a big mistake made at some point as it didn't look in great shape from TV. I had SSN on a second screen though and you're absolutely right about Peterborough. Mansfield and a few others were just as bad.

Tangled up in blue.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 14:07 - Feb 21 with 1490 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 11:16 - Feb 21 by pioneer

Tactic to take the pressure of his team who have been unable to score against us in 180 minutes of footy.

It's the first season in which Argyle have failed to score against us home and away.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 17:14 - Feb 21 with 1238 viewsblackdogblue

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 10:11 - Feb 21 by boromat

Watched Quest this morning and indeed there were som dreadful pitches, Accy looked like a mud bath as well but saying that, it’s easy to jet wash a portacabin changing room floor since someone drilled a hole in the back corner 😀..

I know lack of sun is the given but agree, it should be holding up & dread what to think it would be like if the Hornets were playing. Hopefully this time it is under warranty?

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 20:10 - Feb 21 with 1022 viewsdingdangblue

Ryan Lowe seems to be very clued up about our pitch, he said it cost £600,000 and is mostly astro turf and sand.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 20:52 - Feb 21 with 972 viewspioneer

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 20:10 - Feb 21 by dingdangblue

Ryan Lowe seems to be very clued up about our pitch, he said it cost £600,000 and is mostly astro turf and sand.

Seems tome he had his excuses well prepared in advance of the result.

You can take the boy out of B**y but you cant take B**y out of the boy.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 20:59 - Feb 21 with 948 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Plymouth on 20:10 - Feb 21 by dingdangblue

He also claimed a consecutive goalscoring record that included an own goal!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024