Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If not BBM then who 18:03 - Mar 6 with 22987 viewsSheffield_dale

After watching that I've cracked open a second bottle of wine 😋

I've been supportive of BBM, knowing/understanding the players and budget he is working with.

For the record I expected us to be where we are. What I didn't expect is the lack of fight, lack of goals and lack of shape. It does seem like the end, regrettably.

Some people have suggested Cowley/Holloway/Bowyer et al. Realistically there is no chance we can afford them.

More likely it will be an internal appointment (McNulty/McShane) or a non league manager.

Would Wilbraham return to North West for a crack?

Realistically, who do you reckon could:

1. Save our season
2. Get us promoted should relegation happen
If not BBM then who on 10:49 - Mar 8 with 2495 viewsTVOS1907

If not BBM then who on 10:16 - Mar 8 by Frog

It's it's and toe, or have I been whooshed? (haven't read the full thread)

He wasn't with "its", as it should have been "It's", which is the abbreviation for "It is".

Ergo, "It is tows the line, btw"

"Its" is used to indicate possession rather than missing punctuation.

https://www.vocabulary.com/articles/chooseyourwords/its-its/

You're welcome

The Grammar Police

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

If not BBM then who on 10:51 - Mar 8 with 2497 viewsJames1980

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

If not BBM then who on 11:01 - Mar 8 with 2461 viewsTVOS1907

If not BBM then who on 10:51 - Mar 8 by James1980

Where do you want to start, James?

If not BBM then who on 11:03 - Mar 8 with 2453 viewsD_Alien

If not BBM then who on 10:35 - Mar 8 by 49thseason

"Toe the line" is an idiomatic expression meaning either to conform to a rule or standard, or to stand poised at the starting line in a foot race. Other phrases which were once used in the early 1800s and have the same meaning were toe the mark and toe the plank. Wikipedia

"Toe the line" is often misspelled "tow the line", substituting a familiar verb "tow" for the unfamiliar verbal use of "toe." "Tow" does not accord with any of the proposed etymologies, so "tow the line" is a linguistic eggcorn.

Eggcorn..a word or phrase that results from a mishearing or misinterpretation of another, an element of the original being substituted for one which sounds very similar (e.g. tow the line instead of toe the line ).
[Post edited 8 Mar 2021 10:39]

You couldn't be more wrong

"Tow the line" refers to everyone pulling on a rope together, and derives from the navy when sailing ships needed everyone to be "pulling their weight"

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

If not BBM then who on 11:10 - Mar 8 with 2439 viewsTVOS1907

If not BBM then who on 11:03 - Mar 8 by D_Alien

"Tow the line" refers to everyone pulling on a rope together, and derives from the navy when sailing ships needed everyone to be "pulling their weight"

Whereas "Hold The Line" was a 1978 hit by Los Angeles band, Toto.

If not BBM then who on 11:14 - Mar 8 with 2432 viewsJames1980

If not BBM then who on 11:01 - Mar 8 by TVOS1907

Where do you want to start, James?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

If not BBM then who on 11:17 - Mar 8 with 2418 viewsD_Alien

If not BBM then who on 11:10 - Mar 8 by TVOS1907

Whereas "Hold The Line" was a 1978 hit by Los Angeles band, Toto.

Also referenced in the Hall & Oates song, "I Can't Go For That"

If not BBM then who on 11:33 - Mar 8 with 2378 viewsTVOS1907

If not BBM then who on 11:17 - Mar 8 by D_Alien

Also referenced in the Hall & Oates song, "I Can't Go For That"

No can do!

Login to get fewer ads

If not BBM then who on 11:58 - Mar 8 with 2318 viewsYouTubeDale

Can't beat a bit of Daryl's House...

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

If not BBM then who on 13:28 - Mar 8 with 2207 views49thseason

Erm.. no it doesn't..

This is from an Etymological Dictionary:

In the earliest known appearance of the phrase in print, The Army Regulator, 1738, an officer forming ranks of soldiers says: "Silence you dogs, toe the line...".[1]

The phrase next appeared in 1775's An Easy Plan of Discipline for a Militia, in which parading soldiers are instructed to "...bring their toes to the line c g, at the second step they toe the line c h..." [2]

The phrase appeared in as a naval term in 1831, describing events of 1803: "..on the quarter deck we were arranged in a line, each with his toes at the edge of a plank..." to be subjected to "scoldings technically called 'toe-the-line' matches.' " [3]

The phrase "toeing a line" appeared in Captain Maryatt's story "Poor Jack" which was published in several American newspapers in 1841. It refers to the crew of a ship being marshaled and inspected by a Lieutenant.[4]

The most likely origin of the term goes back to the wooden decked ships of the Royal Navy during the late 17th or early 18th century. Barefooted seamen had to stand at attention for inspection and had to line up on deck along the seams of the wooden planks, hence to "toe the line".[5] The first mention of this use in literature stems from a story about navy life widely published in 1831 and written by Captain Basil Hall RN.[6] Hall served in the Royal Navy from 1802.

From an etymological perspective, how does "towing" a rope come to mean "following instrtctions" or similar? And wouldn't the expression be "towing the boat" ?
If not BBM then who on 13:49 - Mar 8 with 2154 viewstony_roch975

go on DA, break the habits of a lifetime and admit you may just be wrong - world-shattering news I know

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

If not BBM then who on 13:54 - Mar 8 with 2136 viewsD_Alien

If not BBM then who on 13:28 - Mar 8 by 49thseason

Erm.. no it doesn't..

In the earliest known appearance of the phrase in print, The Army Regulator, 1738, an officer forming ranks of soldiers says: "Silence you dogs, toe the line...".[1]

The phrase next appeared in 1775's An Easy Plan of Discipline for a Militia, in which parading soldiers are instructed to "...bring their toes to the line c g, at the second step they toe the line c h..." [2]

The phrase appeared in as a naval term in 1831, describing events of 1803: "..on the quarter deck we were arranged in a line, each with his toes at the edge of a plank..." to be subjected to "scoldings technically called 'toe-the-line' matches.' " [3]

The phrase "toeing a line" appeared in Captain Maryatt's story "Poor Jack" which was published in several American newspapers in 1841. It refers to the crew of a ship being marshaled and inspected by a Lieutenant.[4]

The most likely origin of the term goes back to the wooden decked ships of the Royal Navy during the late 17th or early 18th century. Barefooted seamen had to stand at attention for inspection and had to line up on deck along the seams of the wooden planks, hence to "toe the line".[5] The first mention of this use in literature stems from a story about navy life widely published in 1831 and written by Captain Basil Hall RN.[6] Hall served in the Royal Navy from 1802.

From an etymological perspective, how does "towing" a rope come to mean "following instrtctions" or similar? And wouldn't the expression be "towing the boat" ?

No, it wouldn't

Tow simply means 'pull'

Towing a rope is an old naval expression

If not BBM then who on 14:02 - Mar 8 with 2121 viewsFrog

If not BBM then who on 22:59 - Mar 7 by D_Alien

Its 'tows the line', btw

It's it's and toe, or have I been whooshed? (haven't read the full thread)
If not BBM then who on 14:04 - Mar 8 with 2109 viewsncfc_chalky

I can remember that Rocky Burnette got tired of toeing the line back in the 70's

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

If not BBM then who on 14:59 - Mar 8 with 2043 viewsNewbury_Dale

Harry Kewell now available. I think on the limited evidence available there's a decent manager there.
If not BBM then who on 15:08 - Mar 8 with 2019 viewsYouTubeDale

If not BBM then who on 14:59 - Mar 8 by Newbury_Dale

Harry Kewell now available. I think on the limited evidence available there's a decent manager there.

If not BBM then who on 16:30 - Mar 8 with 1898 viewsdavidab2202

If not BBM then who on 13:28 - Mar 8 by 49thseason

Erm.. no it doesn't..

If ever Susie Dent leaves Countdown.............
If not BBM then who on 16:34 - Mar 8 with 1893 views49thseason

If not BBM then who on 13:54 - Mar 8 by D_Alien

No, it wouldn't

Tow simply means 'pull'

Towing a rope is an old naval expression

"Towing a rope is an old naval expression"
So lets see what Google has to say
Showing results for "towing a rope" naval expression
"It looks like there aren't many great matches for your search" ... In fact there are none!

Towing is indeed the act of pulling an object using a rope or chain, and has no connection with "Toeing" a line or a mark. The expression toeing the line in modern parlance means "accepting the instructions" in the context of the original post by James. "I expect there will be no reactions so long as Brian toes the line and doesn't tell people any 'home truths'" I.e "as long as Brian follows the instructions" in your example, "as long as Brian pulls the instructions " makes no sense.
If not BBM then who on 17:17 - Mar 8 with 1823 viewsYouTubeDale

If we lose tomorrow it will be interesting what the virtual manager says at the virtual fans' forum on Wednesday.

If not BBM then who on 17:19 - Mar 8 with 1813 views442Dale

If not BBM then who on 17:17 - Mar 8 by YouTubeDale

If we lose tomorrow it will be interesting what the virtual manager says at the virtual fans' forum on Wednesday.

Would put money on the word “exciting”.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

If not BBM then who on 18:11 - Mar 8 with 1773 viewsD_Alien

If not BBM then who on 16:34 - Mar 8 by 49thseason

"Towing a rope is an old naval expression"
So lets see what Google has to say
Showing results for "towing a rope" naval expression
"It looks like there aren't many great matches for your search" ... In fact there are none!

Towing is indeed the act of pulling an object using a rope or chain, and has no connection with "Toeing" a line or a mark. The expression toeing the line in modern parlance means "accepting the instructions" in the context of the original post by James. "I expect there will be no reactions so long as Brian toes the line and doesn't tell people any 'home truths'" I.e "as long as Brian follows the instructions" in your example, "as long as Brian pulls the instructions " makes no sense.

You may resort to google, but i've no need, because the word "tow" - as with many other words - has been adapted over centuries and its use in the navy was as i've said, even if it's no longer used in that way

There are countless examples of words being adapted over time in a similar fashion

If not BBM then who on 19:46 - Mar 8 with 1659 viewstony_roch975

If not BBM then who on 18:11 - Mar 8 by D_Alien

You may resort to google, but i've no need, because the word "tow" - as with many other words - has been adapted over centuries and its use in the navy was as i've said, even if it's no longer used in that way

There are countless examples of words being adapted over time in a similar fashion

you just can't admit to being wrong ever can you

If not BBM then who on 19:57 - Mar 8 with 1638 viewsD_Alien

If not BBM then who on 19:46 - Mar 8 by tony_roch975

you just can't admit to being wrong ever can you

When i'm not?

And what's it got to do with you?

If not BBM then who on 21:15 - Mar 8 with 1536 viewstony_roch975

If not BBM then who on 19:57 - Mar 8 by D_Alien

When i'm not?

And what's it got to do with you?

oh dear, oh dear - as long as you post on a public forum it's got everything to do with me or anyone and yes you are - but it takes a big man to admit when he's wrong

If not BBM then who on 21:48 - Mar 8 with 1477 viewsD_Alien

If not BBM then who on 21:15 - Mar 8 by tony_roch975

oh dear, oh dear - as long as you post on a public forum it's got everything to do with me or anyone and yes you are - but it takes a big man to admit when he's wrong

I know i'm not wrong, and i've got a very personal family reason (to do with my father, who was in the navy) for knowing that, which i'm not going to go into detail over

You chose to personalise this debate, in your typical small-minded way, when it was just fine as it was - a debate. Have a think about that...

And whilst you're at it:

"you just can't admit to being wrong ever can you"

Where's the capitalisation at the beginning, or the question mark at the end?

You can consider yourself fortunate i responded at all...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024