Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale 16:20 - Apr 1 with 16229 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

Match Preview: Portsmouth vs Rochdale 1st Apr 2021 16:19
Rochdale return from the international break with a tough trip to Fratton Park to face promotion-chasing Portsmouth on Good Friday. 0

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 17:01 - Apr 2 with 2456 viewsNigeriamark

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 16:54 - Apr 2 by Sandyman

2-1!

94 minutes too late !!. Comfortable win for them in the end even with that nicely worked goal at the end. Doesn't help when you gift a goal after 4 minutes to a promotion chasing team. At least it's the exiles game on Monday which we never lose !!!
Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 17:03 - Apr 2 with 2427 views442Dale

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 17:00 - Apr 2 by Sheffield_dale

Before the doomsters arrive 2-1 away at Portsmouth is par. Hopefully the goal gives some confidence momentum for Monday

How is it par?

That performance, on and off the field, was demoralising irrespective of what Portsmouth did. Which wasn’t that much without a recognised striker, yet still more than enough to win comfortably.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 17:06 - Apr 2 with 2366 viewsDalenet

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 17:01 - Apr 2 by 442Dale

Not finding a way to get Done up front, especially with Humphrys missing, was a mistake.
Making substitutions that didn’t change our formation or the pattern of the game was a mistake.
Not changing the way we played to get the ball into their box more (see the goal) was a mistake.

The break has done us zero good. We’re now looking further away than we did two weeks ago.

100% agree.

But in BBM we have a very talented manager who is very very cheap
Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 17:06 - Apr 2 with 2362 viewsBazzanne

Well that's two hours I won't get back. It's now 2-30 am here I should have gone to bed instead of watching that load of absolute rubbish. Our super talented manager that lots of other teams want will say how well we played. Clueless numpty!
Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 17:09 - Apr 2 with 2334 viewsRotherhamDale

I think that's about us done.

Like other people have said, how can we expect to compete when we gift the opposition a goal after 4 mins.. how often do we do it? The sooner Bazunu is back at City, the better.

Our pressing energy was actually pretty good. We didn't give up again but you can see without Humpreys that we desperately lack quality going forward

Possession with progression.

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 17:14 - Apr 2 with 2273 viewsmightydale

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 17:06 - Apr 2 by Bazzanne

Well that's two hours I won't get back. It's now 2-30 am here I should have gone to bed instead of watching that load of absolute rubbish. Our super talented manager that lots of other teams want will say how well we played. Clueless numpty!

He's only talented in one person's eyes, hence why only one fcuker knew about the extension.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2021 17:52]

Poll: How many season tickets will we sell for next season

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 17:14 - Apr 2 with 2268 viewsDalenet

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 17:09 - Apr 2 by RotherhamDale

Like other people have said, how can we expect to compete when we gift the opposition a goal after 4 mins.. how often do we do it? The sooner Bazunu is back at City, the better.

Our pressing energy was actually pretty good. We didn't give up again but you can see without Humpreys that we desperately lack quality going forward

I see our forward loanee didn't make it on the bench. Newby should have been on 20 minutes earlier. At least he can run at the opposition and get a cross in for all his faults
Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 17:18 - Apr 2 with 2246 views442Dale

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 17:09 - Apr 2 by RotherhamDale

He played well against Luxembourg though. We mustn’t forget that.

Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 17:24 - Apr 2 with 2200 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 17:18 - Apr 2 by 442Dale

He played well against Luxembourg though. We mustn’t forget that.

I was thinking after that result, and then Ireland's subsequent game in midweek that Bazunu's head won't be in a good place* and he could do with a rest; time to give Lynch a game

*on the floor, rather than on his neck after the excitement he must've felt at being selected followed by the downer the whole Ireland squad must've been on

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 17:34 - Apr 2 with 2122 viewsBrierls

If you’re chasing the game and need to threaten their goal, who do you bring on? Dooley or Newby?

Did Grant have an injury or was he substituted because Morley has to feature at some stage?

Why weren’t changes made when it was painfully obvious that Beesley and Baah wasn’t working as a partnership?

The questions could go on and on.

I wouldn’t expect us to beat Portsmouth, and we’ve had some hammerings at Fratton Park, but that was a Pompey side without a recognised striker and they didn’t have to get out of first gear.

We were worse for the break. BBM has had two weeks to work with the majority of the squad that has shown improvement since a change in system, and they’ve come back looking like they’re confused and disheartened.
Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 17:46 - Apr 2 with 2050 viewsRokerite

On the main Pompey forum there's nothing but praise for the Rochdale performance. The common view is you were unlucky and should stay up if you play as well in your remaining matches. It's unusual to find the opposition fans far more impressed than your own.
Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 17:47 - Apr 2 with 2046 views49thseason

This is / has been a complete and utter shitshow of a season. From the moment the Board crapped themselves at the thought of not having a crowd and responded by slashing the wage bill, through the complete inability to find a left back (or a right one to be honest), the shortest pre-season on record, the multitude of injuries (probably as a result) to the managerial contract debacle , the Chairman's resignation decision and the spending of an alleged £50k on hand sanitiser for a crowd that never appeared. And now the almost inevitable relegation back to the Rochdale division. Well done everybody.. just about every decision all year has been wrong , most by about as much as they could have possibly been wrong. We needed defenders you brought in Midfielders, we needed a "proper goalkeeper" we got someone else's 18 year old kid. We signed a pair of strikers who have hardly played together, we sold Baah only to find we hadn't (but no one seemed to want to admit it), We signed a lad from Arsenal who was sent back for not being a left back and a decent player from Brighton who is now less than average, we bought Humphrys only to lose him to injury after just 45 minutes. and resigned the enigma that is McLaughlin, the highest rated player at the club currently according to this site's player scores (6.22), who coincidentally is also a season ticket holder on the physio's bed.. We were told the Americans were becoming Directors ... but not just yet, the interim Chairman has now gone off sick, and now, the last but one Chairman wants to come back.
What's Dave Sutton doing these days, we could do with a few laughs! Even Barrowball seemed to be better than where we are now with our tippy tappy play-with-your-back-to their-goal excuse for football. L2 won't know what's hit them!
Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 18:16 - Apr 2 with 1890 viewsNorthernDale

Many of the posters have summed up the radio analysis. The analysis identified

1, Why did he not change the team formation, which was needed. As others have said and which was pointed out by the analysis, that when we made changes, but we did not change the formation or tactics. This issue is not new, we have highlighted this issue, that BBM seems to have one style of play and that is it and teams know this simple fact.
2, We over pass the ball and are pedestrian going forward, instead breaking at pace and opening their defence. The commentators said that Portsmouth defence was dodgy, but the Dale passing around, rather playing fast attacking football allowed them time to get behind the ball. Baah was praised, but they said he needs to get in the box more. Again how many times have we said the team is slow and over passes the ball.

On Monday we need Mcloughlin back, possibly start with either Morley or Dooley (which I thought I would never thought I would say), Humphrys however is likely to be missing. I like Grant, he has ability, but Shaughnessy is a different story, I am baffled at what he brings to the team. However at this stage we need to use the experience players, we the need points starting with Ipswich and we need to stop the pedestrian football.
Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 18:20 - Apr 2 with 1866 viewsSaxonDale

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 17:46 - Apr 2 by Rokerite

On the main Pompey forum there's nothing but praise for the Rochdale performance. The common view is you were unlucky and should stay up if you play as well in your remaining matches. It's unusual to find the opposition fans far more impressed than your own.

Thanks for the kind words- the problem is today sort of sums up our performance for a lot of games this season. Decent but with a few individual errors. I think there’s quite a few teams above us in the league who aren’t as good as we are- but know how to scrape out results and are more consistent. Unfortunately, the league table is all that matters.
Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 18:47 - Apr 2 with 1717 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 17:46 - Apr 2 by Rokerite

Shhhhhush that doesn't fit with the 'He is an incompetent buffoon that shouldn't be anywhere near the job of football first team manager or coach. Who was given contract extension by an another incompetent buffon who shouldn't be anywhere near a football board room.'
Narrative.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 18:57 - Apr 2 with 1665 views442Dale

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 18:47 - Apr 2 by James1980

Shhhhhush that doesn't fit with the 'He is an incompetent buffoon that shouldn't be anywhere near the job of football first team manager or coach. Who was given contract extension by an another incompetent buffon who shouldn't be anywhere near a football board room.'
Narrative.

That’s not the case though. We know that other clubs, analysts and fans admire the way we try to play. Unfortunately they don’t watch it every week and know it isn’t getting results. Today was poor, no matter what any Portsmouth fans think. At no stage did we look like getting anything from the game, which is another reason they probably liked it.

Forget the off the field stuff, there’s no narrative on BBM, his decision making and his tactics. Only reasoned analysis by supporters. Today was a very hard game to watch.

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 19:00 - Apr 2 with 1637 viewsBillyRudd

On the 17th of March I wrote...

"Totally agree. The big difference against Lincoln was tempo. You can have all the formations and team selections in the world but if you play at half pace and in your own half then you just make it comfortable for the opposition. Couple that with conceding early goals and we will never break down well drilled defences without pace. Yes we will make far more mistakes in possession but so will they and where it matters, in their half.
I have no idea why Bazunu takes such an age to get the ball in play. It can,t be to pick his spot because he invariably does,nt. It just allows their defence to get in position. If he carries on as he does inviting forwards on, then sooner or later he is going to cost us, before the end of the season a la Sanchez at Newcastle."

And so it came to pass. This is why BBM is such a poor manager. He does,nt see the problems that all season have been highlighted on this forum by the majority. We will have just the same issues in Lg2 with him in charge.
Regarding the receiving of praise from the opposition, we have had that all season, invariably at the same time, as they trousered three points off us.
The Lincoln Posh (2nd half) results are symptomatic of the Wigan, Plymouth results in that they cloud the fundamental issue which is that BBM is not good enough and he won,t be in Lg 2 either.
Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 19:15 - Apr 2 with 1556 viewsBillyRudd

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 18:47 - Apr 2 by James1980

Narrative.

I like a maverick free thinker that stands his corner against the mob James. After all if no one is saying anything different to the herd then the fact is that no one is thinking, Can,t remember who said words to that effect but think it was Einstein, Happy to be corrected.
However on this particular "narrative" I would simply ask you to take a peak at the league table. I know the defence of him is the budget and injury issues, but that aside, are you honestly claiming that under a more competent manager many of the glaring issues would,nt have been addressed? Really?
Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 19:34 - Apr 2 with 1474 viewsDalenet

Well the snippet from BBMs post match interview - thought our skill levels were low in the first half, that we were better in the second half and controlled the game. If we can take that into the game on Monday, blah blah blah

Yeah righty o. Looking forward to Monday then.
Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 19:52 - Apr 2 with 1381 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 19:15 - Apr 2 by BillyRudd

I like a maverick free thinker that stands his corner against the mob James. After all if no one is saying anything different to the herd then the fact is that no one is thinking, Can,t remember who said words to that effect but think it was Einstein, Happy to be corrected.
However on this particular "narrative" I would simply ask you to take a peak at the league table. I know the defence of him is the budget and injury issues, but that aside, are you honestly claiming that under a more competent manager many of the glaring issues would,nt have been addressed? Really?

I'd like to think that if us arm chair 'experts' can see what is wrong. A professional football manager can also see those problems. Is it the resources at his disposal make it difficult to fix those issues.

Apparently Portsmouth and Dale both had Two 'big chances' we took one of ours unfortunately Pompey took both of theirs.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 20:01 - Apr 2 with 1341 viewsBillyRudd

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 19:34 - Apr 2 by Dalenet

Well the snippet from BBMs post match interview - thought our skill levels were low in the first half, that we were better in the second half and controlled the game. If we can take that into the game on Monday, blah blah blah

Yeah righty o. Looking forward to Monday then.

I have,nt heard the post match interview, I have had a bellyfull of them now but going off Dalenets post this is another classic example of the self created delusion that has become a major part of the problem.
Brian, we did,nt control the game in the second half. Portsmouth did. They were 2-0 up and rightly concluded that if they sat back, did,nt allow us to hit them on the break and stifle us out, then we would,nt score 2 goals and the job would be done, and thats exactly what happened. Look at the number of players they had in the box whenever we got near their goal. To see it any other way is self delusion and betrays an inability to see reality.
He was right about one thing though, our control and final pass in the first half was woeful.
Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 20:02 - Apr 2 with 1329 viewsRotherhamDale

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 19:52 - Apr 2 by James1980

I'd like to think that if us arm chair 'experts' can see what is wrong. A professional football manager can also see those problems. Is it the resources at his disposal make it difficult to fix those issues.

Apparently Portsmouth and Dale both had Two 'big chances' we took one of ours unfortunately Pompey took both of theirs.

And the one on one that we gifted them? Or the O'Connell block that hit the side netting?

They were more than happy at 2 0. If they'd have pushed us it could have been 4 or 5

Possession with progression.

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 20:08 - Apr 2 with 1286 viewsrichfoad32

What was our other 'big chance' besides the goal? Not trying to be argumentative, I genuinely can't remember one.
Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 20:10 - Apr 2 with 1264 viewsrich_dale

Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 20:02 - Apr 2 by RotherhamDale

And the one on one that we gifted them? Or the O'Connell block that hit the side netting?

They were more than happy at 2 0. If they'd have pushed us it could have been 4 or 5

Absolutely - to say we controlled the game at 2-0 down is just bizarre. The team leading 2-0 controls the game.
Match Thread: Portsmouth vs Rochdale on 20:11 - Apr 2 with 2389 views442Dale

We’ve been through it all season long. He hasn’t used the resources at his disposal well enough, something that was perfectly encapsulated today and described within this thread.

We don’t need to be ‘experts’ to see the bleeding obvious. Portsmouth didn’t even have to work for their chances and should have had more than two. We were woeful at even getting into situations where we even looked like creating chances, something the manager could have changed with his subs and tactics in the second half. That didn’t happen until the goal.

Will reiterate it again, irrespective of the squad and the injuries and Covid and impending international breaks where half our players could be starring against Gibraltar u17s, we could and should be ten points better off than we are now. This would be achieved by playing to our strengths, using players where they are most effective and being flexible tactically. All of those can be influenced by the manager of the team, and it’s a very valid point you raise that the manager should be able to see it. There is no other other real argument.

[Post edited 2 Apr 2021 20:16]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024