Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. 03:21 - Apr 7 with 5882 viewsTalkingSutty

It doesn’t seem credible to the paying public, the fans, but the more you think about it, the evidence of a managed relegation is there for everybody to see now.

1...The Chairman’s statement prior to the season kicking off which straight away killed the aspirations and hopes of all supporters, at a time when Hope always springs eternal.

2...Player recruitment and a squad of players which right at the start many supporters predicted would struggle, made up of non league signings and players with poor injury records etc...and no left back. Humphrys was a goood signing though, one we can make money on.

3...The football leading up to Christmas which amounted to playing in our own half of the pitch and treating the game like a training exercise, with no apparent urgency to pressurise our opponents and score goals...players constantly passing backwards, strolling for throw ins, kicking the ball away when chasing games and passing up shooting opportunities in the dying embers of games, goalkeepers sauntering around in injury time with the ball when we desperately need three points. Playing to protect a point and not lose. Do they come off dripping in sweat, devastated, do they throw kitchen sinks...well I haven’t seen it.

4....A manager who constantly suggests that black is white, doesn’t look at the table, doesn’t seemed concerned about his job, devoid of tactical nouse, a record breaker.

5....A January transfer window when we desperately need to recruit properly to avoid the drop but instead sign players and then announce that they are with a view to NEXT season, we don’t sign a left back.

6....A CEO who is given a free reign to do as he pleases and a Board of Directors who are all compliant, the extension to the managers contract and the lack of criticism and action from fellow Directors indicates that this wasn’t just the work of one man, he would have been held to account by now if that was the case. Andrew Kelly would have done that wouldn’t he..the interim Chairman wouldn’t have allowed that on his watch surely?

7.....The managers reward for failure and overseeing the worst home record in the history of the Club...a new secret 12 month contract. That stinks to high heaven and is a insult to the supporters of the Club.

So when you put all those points together it really does seem as though this has been a real team effort and they all had the chat, if you are going to plan for a managed relegation then a season when no fans are allowed inside the Stadium and a pandemic is the perfect storm to enact the plan. L2 means a further cut in the playing budget which go some way to covering the deficit in lost revenue, we will have a non league budget then. It also makes it easier to blood the youth academy players which is the real baby when it comes to Bottomley, BBM, Kelly, the only problem is they will find L2 tougher than L1. The real hope will be that the fans will still turn up and buy their season tickets because we all know the fans are taken for granted, we aren’t daft though and many won’t . Credit where it’s due though, at the recent forum the Director did inform us that there is a plan, unfortunately though just like the managers new contract , it’s a closely guarded secret. I’m sure all will be revealed soon though...there’s season tickets and new kits that need selling so lines of communication and spin will have to be opened.

There have been many times this season when I have been watching games and questioning if what I am watching is legitimate and then I have listened to BBM s post match comments and it’s made me even more suspicious. I think we’ve been paying to watch a season that was already decided before a ball was kicked. The ex Chairman commented in his reply to the Trust last week that he wouldn’t be associated with the direction that this lot wanted to take the Club in and he wouldn’t be a voice piece to it neither. Like every Dale fan he would have wanted progression and not regression i think. When you look at our Boardroom and our manager do you see people bursting with passion, drive, energy, passion and most importantly winners. Do you see people who want to emulate what Chris Dunphy and Keith Hill achieved only a few years ago, or do you see people who are happy to take the easy option and settle for going backwards.

David Clough was at that Charlton game thanks to Richard Wild and Francis Collins and due to his impaired vision they commentated on the game for him, i’m led to believe that he nearly jumped out of his wheelchair when Joe Thomson scored the goal that ensured we stayed in L1 and he then broke down emotionally. That’s the passion,desire and emotion that we are now missing at the club, instead it’s been replaced with apathy, disdain,arrogance and mistrust...we need our club back and a new Boardroom and it needs to happen quickly because this regression isn’t going to stop at L2 unfortunately.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2021 9:12]
Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 09:01 - Apr 7 with 3995 viewsBucketBstard

Spot on.
L2 will be too tough for most of these players and certainly the youth. It doesnt seem set for tiki taka football either so this very talented and well thought of manager ( in his own living room) will find it even harder down there.
I think managed relegation was on the cards at the end of last season, but is pure folly to believe we can cope in L2.
Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 09:37 - Apr 7 with 3921 viewsSuddenLad

'Managed Relegation' has been an intention (if that's the right expression) since before KH departed. Now it's staring everyone in the face, people are waking up. The fault for that policy lies squarely on the desk of one man, whose brainchild it has been.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 10:03 - Apr 7 with 3876 viewsDalenet

TS I can see everything you see and it is so sad to watch the club fall in this way. I was inspired by an old CEO of mine "What will your legacy be when you move on?". Wherever I have been I have always wanted to make a difference and leave it in a better position than I found it. Sadly the legacy of our Board and management team will be one of regret.

I don't for one minute buy into the managed relegation theory. If proven it would be seen as cheating and treating the League with contempt. There are consequences for that. Instead its been one of mismanagement and incompetence. We just didn't have a Plan A or Plan B. Whether that be the Board or the coaching team. We have walked into this. We begged to end last season early and hoped we wouldn't start this due to covid. We have been the least prepared club and one that is competing reluctantly. That malaise starts to create your DNA. In competitive sport the DNA should be about passion, hunger, wanting to win at all costs. With the wrong DNA we implode. The Chairman is at fault for that. Relegation is an inevitable consequence of the DNA. It was never managed - just mismanaged
Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 10:08 - Apr 7 with 3870 viewsJames1980

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 09:37 - Apr 7 by SuddenLad

'Managed Relegation' has been an intention (if that's the right expression) since before KH departed. Now it's staring everyone in the face, people are waking up. The fault for that policy lies squarely on the desk of one man, whose brainchild it has been.

Considering we were heading towards league 2 prior to sacking Hill surely if 'managed relegation' has been the plan since before he was sacked. His services would have been retained to steer the club down the path to league 2

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 10:35 - Apr 7 with 3814 viewsSuddenLad

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 10:08 - Apr 7 by James1980

Considering we were heading towards league 2 prior to sacking Hill surely if 'managed relegation' has been the plan since before he was sacked. His services would have been retained to steer the club down the path to league 2

I first heard the phrase used whilst KH was still manager. Make your own mind up.

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 10:38 - Apr 7 with 3808 viewsSandyman

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 10:08 - Apr 7 by James1980

You've misread Sutty's post I think, James. The suggested "managed relegation" is a conclusion reached by events since last Summer. Hill was sacked to retain League One status, which we did. BBM, with a worse record, hasn't been sacked as the so-called custodians of the club seem quite happy that the team is managed so ineptly and content that the club is relegation fodder. If the club were serious about avoiding relegation, BBM would be long gone.
Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 10:39 - Apr 7 with 3802 viewsfitzochris

I personally believe the expression “managed relegation” was just a poorly chosen expression rather than a deliberate and malevolent strategy.

With that said, the board is currently in a worrying state of transition.

We, as a club, will face our biggest test in decades, come the summer.

We will not only be looking for a new chairman when Andy Kelly steps down from his interim role, but new board members to boot.

As it stands, we only have four voting board members — and all of them must be weary. This season has clearly hit the club coffers like no other. The board knows investment is needed and that new blood is required to bring it in.

I do not believe for one second any of them want to leave this club in a ruin. I genuinely believe that.

So that’s why it’s vital that whatever choices are made in the coming months are for the betterment of the club as a whole and not individuals. Unity and competence are the key qualities we need from anybody joining the board going forward, even before access to untold riches.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 11:07 - Apr 7 with 3702 viewsfunkkk

I’ve not enjoyed watching Dale for years. I think we’re all sick of the constant struggle each season but there seems to be something else afoot this season.

My view is that complete incompetence has led us to where we are rather than a managed relegation plan.

BBM is a coach with a strong belief in his playing philosophy, he seems to have a great relationship with the players and they trust him. He is not, however, a competent football manager. Forgetting the non-announcement of it, his contract extension was one of the most illogical and perplexing decisions I can remember at this football club. The outcome? We’re bottom of the league and there is, seemingly, no pressure on the manager.

For whatever reason the board, or certain members of it, are convinced by BBM’s abilities. I think the season’s goal was survival and they had complete faith in BBM to deliver that.

Relegation, managed or otherwise, would be extremely risky. We will lose players in the summer and, if our pleas of poverty are to believed, we will not be able to financially back a re-build. Throw BBM into the mix and I wouldn’t be surprised to see us in another relegation battle.
Login to get fewer ads

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 11:10 - Apr 7 with 3695 views49thseason

The point of the post was "managed" relegation. In other words, relegation when the big salaries are off the books so that they do not impede finances in a lower division. The last clear out was 12 reasonably well paid players, this season there may well be a similar amount of contracts not renewed.... that is managing a relegation. The question is, when do they start building for sustainable growth and maybe a promotion? Or do we slip quietly out of L2 and on to oblivion?
This leadership isnt worthy or the name, there is no leadership. There have been no rallying calls except in the "give us your money" sense, no declarations of intent, no openness regarding the clubs finances. Instead there has been a stage-managed calamity of a fans forum which served only to reveal the inadequacy of the Board. There has been the unnecessary collapse of income from Lotteries, and the sudden resignation of our invisible Chairman, meanwhile the Manager shows little concern at his pathatic record on the pitch and players are enjoying the freedom from responsibility for their results.
Whatever Dunphy has in mind needs to happen soon or the club will be back to the clogs and cinders era within weeks. Potless, playerless and devoid of leadership is not a good place to be....I refer you to Workington, Darlington Southport, Aldershot, Maidstone, Boston Macclesfield and all the rest.
This Board have enjoyed the fruits of running a football club in good times but do not have the cold cash to pay for their indulgence when the proverbial hits the air conditioning. They need to go now and accepts Dunphy's offer to step in.
Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 12:14 - Apr 7 with 3594 viewsD_Alien

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 10:35 - Apr 7 by SuddenLad

I first heard the phrase used whilst KH was still manager. Make your own mind up.

Yes, in answer to a question i posed at a fan's forum

Not sure how many times i'll have to repeat it, but it can't be emphasised enough that the scenario was about managing in the Championship*, or how we'd cope if we couldn't. Applying the same principle to relegation from L1 is absolute bollox

*It was close season 2017, and we'd finished just outside the playoffs with a joint-record points total

[Post edited 7 Apr 2021 12:34]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 12:18 - Apr 7 with 3580 viewsJames1980

I'm saying if the 'intention' was to get relegated there was an opportunity to get relegated two seasons ago, by retaining KH services. If plans are afoot for a managed dismantling of the club, personally I don't believe that is the case. Why spend money on the pitch? Why spend money on signing Humphrys? What was the point in creating the much maligned off field jobs and filling vacancies that have come about through people moving on or retiring. Surely that involves spending cash that could be creamed off by unscrupulous types.
Of course all of the above could have been the work of evil geniuses to throw a gullible overthinking over questioning moron like me off the scent. Although it doesn't sound like something incompetent fools who are out of their depth would have the wherewithal to plan let alone enact.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 12:19 - Apr 7 with 3575 viewsD_Alien

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 11:10 - Apr 7 by 49thseason

The point of the post was "managed" relegation. In other words, relegation when the big salaries are off the books so that they do not impede finances in a lower division. The last clear out was 12 reasonably well paid players, this season there may well be a similar amount of contracts not renewed.... that is managing a relegation. The question is, when do they start building for sustainable growth and maybe a promotion? Or do we slip quietly out of L2 and on to oblivion?
This leadership isnt worthy or the name, there is no leadership. There have been no rallying calls except in the "give us your money" sense, no declarations of intent, no openness regarding the clubs finances. Instead there has been a stage-managed calamity of a fans forum which served only to reveal the inadequacy of the Board. There has been the unnecessary collapse of income from Lotteries, and the sudden resignation of our invisible Chairman, meanwhile the Manager shows little concern at his pathatic record on the pitch and players are enjoying the freedom from responsibility for their results.
Whatever Dunphy has in mind needs to happen soon or the club will be back to the clogs and cinders era within weeks. Potless, playerless and devoid of leadership is not a good place to be....I refer you to Workington, Darlington Southport, Aldershot, Maidstone, Boston Macclesfield and all the rest.
This Board have enjoyed the fruits of running a football club in good times but do not have the cold cash to pay for their indulgence when the proverbial hits the air conditioning. They need to go now and accepts Dunphy's offer to step in.

Let's not mince words

It's "When the shit hits the fan"

And we're the fan(s)

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 13:20 - Apr 7 with 3402 viewsTVOS1907

You're still not reading the room, James.

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 13:29 - Apr 7 with 3390 viewsNigeriamark

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 10:39 - Apr 7 by fitzochris

I personally believe the expression “managed relegation” was just a poorly chosen expression rather than a deliberate and malevolent strategy.

With that said, the board is currently in a worrying state of transition.

We, as a club, will face our biggest test in decades, come the summer.

We will not only be looking for a new chairman when Andy Kelly steps down from his interim role, but new board members to boot.

As it stands, we only have four voting board members — and all of them must be weary. This season has clearly hit the club coffers like no other. The board knows investment is needed and that new blood is required to bring it in.

I do not believe for one second any of them want to leave this club in a ruin. I genuinely believe that.

So that’s why it’s vital that whatever choices are made in the coming months are for the betterment of the club as a whole and not individuals. Unity and competence are the key qualities we need from anybody joining the board going forward, even before access to untold riches.

I would put a slightly different slant on what you are saying ( not necessarily disagreeing). In 99% of companies I know the CEO is the pivotal and key role in any business. A board is primarily there for oversight, mentoring & stepping in only at exceptional times to potentially overrule the CEO. As long as the CEO makes a clear case for what he wants to do ( even if at the end of the day it doesn't work) then a board should support him/her even if it is not what they would have done as CEO ( because they are not) - It's called the budgeting process
Businesses where the board or a chairman is running the show is not typical. In fact if it happens then you can't really blame the CEO for anything as he just becomes the mouthpiece to the team below him & has to potentially take the blame for things he didn't necessarily chose to do.

I don't know DB at all or any other CEO we may have had but if you get the right CEO, for which the board clearly need to be responsible then the role of the board is quite simple. I don't know when DB was actually appointed but if there is an issue ( based on his delivery to actual objectives given to him, not rumour & opinion) then the board at that time may like to explain their rationale
Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 13:30 - Apr 7 with 3390 viewsAtThePeake

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 12:14 - Apr 7 by D_Alien

Not sure how many times i'll have to repeat it, but it can't be emphasised enough that the scenario was about managing in the Championship*, or how we'd cope if we couldn't. Applying the same principle to relegation from L1 is absolute bollox

*It was close season 2017, and we'd finished just outside the playoffs with a joint-record points total

'Managed relegation' just doesn't make sense to me. I see no benefit to actively seeking to be in a lower division and I can't possibly believe that anyone at the club can see a benefit either because there simply isn't one.

I also think it gives the board too much credit, by suggesting that they have a plan that's being well executed, even if it's a plan most supporters disagree with. I think we're in the position we're in due to incompetence, disorganisation and a complete LACK of a plan, rather than some malevolent desire for us to be in L2 for no reason.

What I will say, is that I don't think the board are particularly bothered either way which league we are in, even if they aren't actively seeking to be relegated, otherwise, as Sandyman points out, BBM would no longer be in charge. Either that or they're trying to save face now having handed him a contract so recently. Sacking him without the contract extension = a poor performance from BBM. Sacking him with the contract extension = a poor performance from BBM and an acknowledgement of an incorrect decision made by themselves. Although they could always make that acknowledgement with another letter?

Tangled up in blue.

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 13:32 - Apr 7 with 3369 views442Dale

Ahem.

The Letter.

And an email. Maybe two.

And an article online.

But The Letter.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 13:33 - Apr 7 with 3353 viewsTVOS1907

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 13:30 - Apr 7 by AtThePeake

'Managed relegation' just doesn't make sense to me. I see no benefit to actively seeking to be in a lower division and I can't possibly believe that anyone at the club can see a benefit either because there simply isn't one.

I also think it gives the board too much credit, by suggesting that they have a plan that's being well executed, even if it's a plan most supporters disagree with. I think we're in the position we're in due to incompetence, disorganisation and a complete LACK of a plan, rather than some malevolent desire for us to be in L2 for no reason.

What I will say, is that I don't think the board are particularly bothered either way which league we are in, even if they aren't actively seeking to be relegated, otherwise, as Sandyman points out, BBM would no longer be in charge. Either that or they're trying to save face now having handed him a contract so recently. Sacking him without the contract extension = a poor performance from BBM. Sacking him with the contract extension = a poor performance from BBM and an acknowledgement of an incorrect decision made by themselves. Although they could always make that acknowledgement with another letter?

Agree with that.

I've always taken the "managed relegation" line to mean if/when we go down, we won't be saddled with loads of players on contracts that might be unsustainable at a lower level.

I don't know when it was said - or the context in which it was said - but I always took it to mean ensuring we were prepared for relegation if it happened.

Whether that's still the case is another matter.

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 13:37 - Apr 7 with 3335 viewsD_Alien

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 13:30 - Apr 7 by AtThePeake

You're quite right, "managed relegation" doesn't make any sense whatsoever ("bollox") in the context in which it seems to be being discussed in this thread, starting with the title of the OP

The context as it was first mentioned at the 2017 fan's forum was in response to the question: "If we make it to the Championship, do you think we'll be able to cope at that level"?

It was a question that was pertinent at the time and discussed on this messageboard, since we'd been in contention for the playoffs on the last day of the season. It was also seeking to elicit how the manager and the board saw their ambitions for the club. (As it happened, we ended up avoiding relegation on the last day of 2017/18!)

The response, mainly from KH, referred to giving the Championship our best shot but if it became clear we weren't up to that level then we'd have to deploy a "managed relegation" to avoid our finances unduly suffering

The term has since been taken out of that context, and the OP is imo out of order in deploying it in the sense of starting from pre-season with that intention
[Post edited 7 Apr 2021 13:38]

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 13:43 - Apr 7 with 3306 viewsDalenet

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 13:29 - Apr 7 by Nigeriamark

I would put a slightly different slant on what you are saying ( not necessarily disagreeing). In 99% of companies I know the CEO is the pivotal and key role in any business. A board is primarily there for oversight, mentoring & stepping in only at exceptional times to potentially overrule the CEO. As long as the CEO makes a clear case for what he wants to do ( even if at the end of the day it doesn't work) then a board should support him/her even if it is not what they would have done as CEO ( because they are not) - It's called the budgeting process
Businesses where the board or a chairman is running the show is not typical. In fact if it happens then you can't really blame the CEO for anything as he just becomes the mouthpiece to the team below him & has to potentially take the blame for things he didn't necessarily chose to do.

I don't know DB at all or any other CEO we may have had but if you get the right CEO, for which the board clearly need to be responsible then the role of the board is quite simple. I don't know when DB was actually appointed but if there is an issue ( based on his delivery to actual objectives given to him, not rumour & opinion) then the board at that time may like to explain their rationale

I would agree that in most businesses the CEO runs the show and the Board back them, or clip their wings. However key decisions need to be referred to the Board. Extended contracts for key staff members would be seen as a Board matter.

It is interesting that DB is our first appointed CEO. Both Russ Green and Colin Garlick were registered as the Company Secretary. We have now appointed somebody else (ex Chester) as Company Secretary. So the role of CEO is new for Dale and has provided more management structure and potentially a different decision making regime. With a smaller and less proactive board that may have been deliberate. Or having concentrated decision making into one man the Board doesn't know how to wrestle it back. Just a thought.
Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 13:46 - Apr 7 with 3289 viewsD_Alien

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 13:43 - Apr 7 by Dalenet

I would agree that in most businesses the CEO runs the show and the Board back them, or clip their wings. However key decisions need to be referred to the Board. Extended contracts for key staff members would be seen as a Board matter.

It is interesting that DB is our first appointed CEO. Both Russ Green and Colin Garlick were registered as the Company Secretary. We have now appointed somebody else (ex Chester) as Company Secretary. So the role of CEO is new for Dale and has provided more management structure and potentially a different decision making regime. With a smaller and less proactive board that may have been deliberate. Or having concentrated decision making into one man the Board doesn't know how to wrestle it back. Just a thought.

Especially when that man was already a member of the board upon his "appointment"

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 13:51 - Apr 7 with 3262 viewsSuddenLad

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 12:14 - Apr 7 by D_Alien

When I first heard the phrase used, it was nothing to do with a fans forum, it was said in an entirely different environment, entirely outside the confines of the club, whilst KH was still manager.

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 13:55 - Apr 7 with 3244 views442Dale

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 13:43 - Apr 7 by Dalenet

Russ Green was appointed CEO in 2016, taking over from Colin Garlick.

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2016/august/russ-green-appointed-as-rochdale-

Then James Mason was appointed in October ‘18.
https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2018/october/james-mason-appointment/

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 13:58 - Apr 7 with 3219 viewsDalenet

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 13:55 - Apr 7 by 442Dale

Russ Green was appointed CEO in 2016, taking over from Colin Garlick.

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2016/august/russ-green-appointed-as-rochdale-

Then James Mason was appointed in October ‘18.
https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2018/october/james-mason-appointment/

okay sorry about that. Russ Green was registered as Company Secretary at Companies House
Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 13:59 - Apr 7 with 3215 viewsTVOS1907

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 13:51 - Apr 7 by SuddenLad

When I first heard the phrase used, it was nothing to do with a fans forum, it was said in an entirely different environment, entirely outside the confines of the club, whilst KH was still manager.

In public or in private?

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 13:59 - Apr 7 with 3214 viewsD_Alien

Our ‘managed relegation’ and the direction of the club. on 13:51 - Apr 7 by SuddenLad

I'm referring to it being used in the context of Dale, though

That's not to say it wasn't a term in circulation in football prior to that point

Edit: or as TVOS has just pointed out, in a public forum concerning Dale. A ripple went round the room when KH spoke those words

[Post edited 7 Apr 2021 14:01]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024