Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Planning permission for new hotel and apartment block 09:26 - Apr 10 with 1659 viewsJames1980

https://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/140297/planning-

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Planning permission for new hotel and apartment block on 09:40 - Apr 10 with 1621 viewsncfc_chalky

You house hunting James?

Think of the money that you would save moving up north,no travel costs to watch to Dale and a lot lower rent but the downside is that you would have to move up north

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

Planning permission for new hotel and apartment block on 09:42 - Apr 10 with 1621 viewsDalenet

Good news for the town James. Not sure there is demand for so many hotel rooms but they must have done their research.

The Mercure Norton Grange is often full at weekends but not during the week. So I am not sure how much business demand there is. And we have a new Travelodge opening at Sandbrook Park in May. The privately run hotels (Broadfield, Castleton etc) have all closed down in recent years due to lack of demand. But this brings a more modern business standard hotel and lets hope it brings more people into town. It will certainly fill up when Manchester has big events as it will be well connected using public transport.
Planning permission for new hotel and apartment block on 09:59 - Apr 10 with 1545 viewstony_roch975

Planning permission for new hotel and apartment block on 09:42 - Apr 10 by Dalenet

Good news for the town James. Not sure there is demand for so many hotel rooms but they must have done their research.

The Mercure Norton Grange is often full at weekends but not during the week. So I am not sure how much business demand there is. And we have a new Travelodge opening at Sandbrook Park in May. The privately run hotels (Broadfield, Castleton etc) have all closed down in recent years due to lack of demand. But this brings a more modern business standard hotel and lets hope it brings more people into town. It will certainly fill up when Manchester has big events as it will be well connected using public transport.

and people who can pay Council tax and patronise local shops; with our superb scenery and public transport links to Leeds and Manchester we are a prime location.
Up the town, Up the Dale

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Planning permission for new hotel and apartment block on 10:15 - Apr 10 with 1491 viewsJames1980

Planning permission for new hotel and apartment block on 09:40 - Apr 10 by ncfc_chalky

You house hunting James?

Think of the money that you would save moving up north,no travel costs to watch to Dale and a lot lower rent but the downside is that you would have to move up north

Maybe I could buy a place to let, at cost of course. Then retire up north in about 20-30 years.

How much autonomy to hotels as part of a chain have? Perhaps the club could negotiate deals for people attending matches.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Planning permission for new hotel and apartment block on 10:26 - Apr 10 with 1458 viewsSuddenLad

There is far more to commend this town than people give it sometimes give it credit for. Looking at the proposed Hampton Hilton brand it looks to be a business aimed at the same market as the Travelodge/Premier Inn brands. Both extremely successful. The days of hotels like the Broadfield and Castleton are done in a town like this. People simply will not pay the tariffs. This isn't the only town where hotels of that style are closing. They're falling like skittles, away from the established visitor hotspots. Even Blackpool is closing hotels faster, than at any time in its' history - a trend that began prior to COVID-19 making it worse.

These companies aren't mugs. The Travel Lodge at Sandbrook is up and running (well - taking bookings ready for post-COVID) and as was alluded to above, the transport links East and West from here and into Manchester are excellent. The town centre has a great range of eateries and pubs and plenty of historical buildings and a cracking museum/art gallery.

With a cinema and shopping centre on the doorstep, together with the tramlink, I hope it will be a success. There's no reason why not.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Planning permission for new hotel and apartment block on 10:46 - Apr 10 with 1391 viewsD_Alien

The council have put forward plans to convert the Broadfield into low-rent social housing apartments, in conjunction with a housing association

There was a link on Rochdale Online a couple of weeks ago

Agree with the positive aspects of our town centre, not to mention the surrounding countryside and great places to eat & drink out there, too

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Planning permission for new hotel and apartment block on 12:33 - Apr 10 with 1204 viewsDalenet

Planning permission for new hotel and apartment block on 10:15 - Apr 10 by James1980

Maybe I could buy a place to let, at cost of course. Then retire up north in about 20-30 years.

How much autonomy to hotels as part of a chain have? Perhaps the club could negotiate deals for people attending matches.

Most of the hotels in a chain are franchised James. So the local management have a great deal of autonomy. The Mercure Norton Grange isn't owned by Mercure - and they had a football package deal with the club 'bed, breakfast and the match' for a few seasons. Not sure what the take up was like. But quite a few away fans use it - it was full of Mackems before our last Sunderland game. Its had quite a bit of cash spent on it in recent years and has an excellent leisure suite and pool. I stay there a lot

The newly approved Hampton by Hilton will also be a franchise
Planning permission for new hotel and apartment block on 12:35 - Apr 10 with 1193 viewsjonahwhereru

I stayed at the Hampton by Hilton in Birmingham many times. The breakfast time sees more people in high viz jackets than suits. But it was the cheapest option in the centre.
But any inward investment is still good news. Before it closed I used to stay at the Medway in Castleton, as back then I had family on the Chesham ave estate.
Login to get fewer ads

Planning permission for new hotel and apartment block on 14:20 - Apr 10 with 1040 viewsNigeriamark

Planning permission for new hotel and apartment block on 10:46 - Apr 10 by D_Alien

The council have put forward plans to convert the Broadfield into low-rent social housing apartments, in conjunction with a housing association

There was a link on Rochdale Online a couple of weeks ago

Agree with the positive aspects of our town centre, not to mention the surrounding countryside and great places to eat & drink out there, too

A lot has been done in the town centre. However on my annual trip with my daughter to see my mum, always been off-putting with a dozen or so drunks/drug addicts from mid morning howling abuse at the top of their voices. Simple things like that that create a first impression on people visiting. Pity because since the black monstrosity has been knocked down & other parts have been tidied up including the river ( when litter hasn't been chucked in) it's a 100% better

The scenery, villages & country pubs, walking, cycling etc within a 15 minutes drive of the centre in a number of directions has always been one of the best things about living in Rochdale ( + the housing is cheaper than about 90% of the UK)
[Post edited 10 Apr 2021 14:29]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024