Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Frustrated rant 11:08 - May 8 with 8826 viewsSheffield_dale

Don't think I have ever been this deflated waking up before a Dale game.

The prospect of facing teams like Harrogate and Sutton United as opposed to Sheffield Wednesday/Sunderland/Ipswich...😔 The financial allure of staying in league 1 to face these teams needed relentless positivity, support and fight. Instead we accepted our shortcomings and rolled over. Can't wait for 19 Torquay away fans to create a crackling atmosphere at Spotland.

I'm sorry but our squad belongs in league one and I am genuinely gutted we never gave it a proper go (ALL SEASON)

The board, BBM etc always talked like we never belonged here. Especially around Jan. That we are lucky we aren't down before Xmas. This is poor poor leadership and this negativity has crawled through the whole club.

Where were the positive "we are good enough, we belong here, let's fight to the death" statements that galvanise us all consistently.

Now it's poor little Rochdale with the vultures ready to offer £100k for genuinely talented players. Or as recent news has suggested, letting all our talent leave on a free.

I know all this has been said before but just needed to get it off my chest.

Up the Dale and all that but wow, what could have been eh?
Frustrated rant on 14:39 - May 8 with 2140 viewsJames1980

Frustrated rant on 14:09 - May 8 by Plattyswrinklynuts

The issue I have with players loaned from certain PL clubs is that there’s an agenda, whether real or perceived that the club must adapt its playing style to suit those loanees. Even worse is the suggestion that those players must play or there will be no more players loaned out to us!
I’d rather not have them at the club if that’s the case. Better to try to grow our own (which makes the jettisoning of our 2nd year scholars even more damning) or scouring the leagues for lads that we can develop (some on here have termed it the “broken toy” approach).
Both philosophies have worked well for us in the past.

I'd like to see an article on how exactly loan deals are worked out. What stipulations if any are put in place regarding minutes played. Are there any restrictions regarding playing positions and or playing style. Does the amount the loaner club contribute to wages vastly change the amount of influence they have regarding their players involvement whilst on loan

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Frustrated rant on 14:57 - May 8 with 2082 viewsSheffield_dale

Our signings (including loans) were good...in some cases excellent.

It's the sheer rubbishness (I tried to come up with a more technical term and failed) of all the leaders.

These are fairly well paid people. Paid to lead well, paid to communicate well and paid to set a professional example and represent the club.

I now recall BBM's missus' wading in to Fitz for speaking truth. No. Just no. Cut that right out. Or at least have the brain to know if your husband is in a high profile position there will be a few pelters here and there.

Lacklustre culture, lazy leadership and MUST DO BETTER

Can't you tell the frustration hasn't ended 😂
[Post edited 8 May 2021 14:57]
Frustrated rant on 15:18 - May 8 with 2044 viewsShun

Good post, OP, and while I agree with every word of it, I’m quite looking forward to facing teams like Harrogate, Barrow and Sutton.
Frustrated rant on 15:27 - May 8 with 2022 viewsRAFCBLUE

Frustrated rant on 14:57 - May 8 by Sheffield_dale

Our signings (including loans) were good...in some cases excellent.

It's the sheer rubbishness (I tried to come up with a more technical term and failed) of all the leaders.

These are fairly well paid people. Paid to lead well, paid to communicate well and paid to set a professional example and represent the club.

I now recall BBM's missus' wading in to Fitz for speaking truth. No. Just no. Cut that right out. Or at least have the brain to know if your husband is in a high profile position there will be a few pelters here and there.

Lacklustre culture, lazy leadership and MUST DO BETTER

Can't you tell the frustration hasn't ended 😂
[Post edited 8 May 2021 14:57]

Can't disagree with your OP Sheffield_Dale but it one step further than lazy leadership for me to poor leadership.

Leadership is always about having the minerals to sort out things when they are not going well. You get paid a lot of brass for having the ability to sort out the bad things.

The leadership changed when Chris Dunphy left and then again when Keith Hill left and what we have had since is not leadership but management.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Frustrated rant on 16:41 - May 8 with 1912 viewsDalenet

Frustrated rant on 13:41 - May 8 by D_Alien

The definitive 'ugly mug'?

With two handles
Frustrated rant on 16:44 - May 8 with 1904 viewssince58

Frustrated rant on 15:18 - May 8 by Shun

Good post, OP, and while I agree with every word of it, I’m quite looking forward to facing teams like Harrogate, Barrow and Sutton.

Why. ???
Frustrated rant on 16:47 - May 8 with 1895 viewsDalenet

Frustrated rant on 15:18 - May 8 by Shun

Really Shun, really? How about going the full hog and looking forward to playing Altrincham the following season. I understand that we are playing Barrow at al because we deserve it, but I am not looking forward to it at all.
Frustrated rant on 16:52 - May 8 with 1864 viewsTVOS1907

Frustrated rant on 16:44 - May 8 by since58

Why. ???

I think Shun might be meaning he's intrigued about taking on new opposition and visiting new grounds.

While "looking forward to" might not be the best phrase, I understanding what he means.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

Frustrated rant on 17:00 - May 8 with 1852 viewssince58

Frustrated rant on 16:52 - May 8 by TVOS1907

I think Shun might be meaning he's intrigued about taking on new opposition and visiting new grounds.

While "looking forward to" might not be the best phrase, I understanding what he means.

Rather be playing Sheff weds, Rotherham and Wycombe tbh.
Frustrated rant on 17:10 - May 8 with 1826 viewsTVOS1907

Frustrated rant on 17:00 - May 8 by since58

Rather be playing Sheff weds, Rotherham and Wycombe tbh.

Not sure about Wycombe, but it is what it is now.

I'm sure Shun can explain himself perfectly well, though.

Frustrated rant on 17:23 - May 8 with 1803 views442Dale

Frustrated rant on 16:52 - May 8 by TVOS1907

Yeah, can see his point. To get to that stage the whole club needs sorting, but the actual prospect of games against teams in League 2 isn’t horrible - and that’s not being defeatist or settling for us being a bottom division club more that it’s inevitable that once we won promotion to League 1, we’d probably be relegated again at some stage. It’s the circumstances that make it worse.

If someone can guarantee a trip to Torquay with a settled club on and off the pitch and little pandemic impact, that would be much better than the last season in a higher division. It seems a long way away at present though.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Frustrated rant on 17:25 - May 8 with 1790 viewsTVOS1907

Frustrated rant on 17:23 - May 8 by 442Dale

Yeah, can see his point. To get to that stage the whole club needs sorting, but the actual prospect of games against teams in League 2 isn’t horrible - and that’s not being defeatist or settling for us being a bottom division club more that it’s inevitable that once we won promotion to League 1, we’d probably be relegated again at some stage. It’s the circumstances that make it worse.

If someone can guarantee a trip to Torquay with a settled club on and off the pitch and little pandemic impact, that would be much better than the last season in a higher division. It seems a long way away at present though.

Torquay? Yeah, it's in Devon.

Frustrated rant on 17:54 - May 8 with 1741 viewsKnowlesy

As others have mentioned, the problem with our manager's perceived talent and ability to draw in loanees doesn't translate into benefit for the club in terms of results.

When you look at the loanees we've had this season, two of the 'ball playing' youngsters that were sent her because of our philosophy have ended up not really being fit for purpose and have both been dropped in the second half of the season, which led to an upturn in form.

I remember BBM (or someone) saying in an interview that Premier League clubs like to send these players to us because of the 'forgiving' atmosphere within the dressing room. If players make mistakes whilst implementing the philosophy, there are little to no consequences. They don't get dropped or singled out, it's part of the style of play and is brushed aside. This is great for the youngsters' confidence to continue to play this type of football even under pressure and in the face of bad results, but it's disastrous for Rochdale in terms of results on the pitch.

Bazunu made some good saves, but also made an awful lot of mistakes before he was eventually dropped. Roberts looked like a good player early in the season, but was soon found out as ineffectual when it came to actually defending, but Brighton will be happy because he's had experience implementing 'the philosophy' in a competitive environment.

It's no good getting loan players in when they're not improving the first team and the results. Osho has been good though.
Frustrated rant on 18:07 - May 8 with 1693 viewsJames1980

On the loan players could it be because of the reduced contribution we can make to their wages we don't get the pick of the bunch?

Was it they were not YET quite could enough for the style of football being played in competitive league matches

Do our facilities make training for the style of play BBM/the club wants to play difficult and is this one of the reasons for the desire for improved facilities over the years

[Post edited 8 May 2021 18:28]

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Frustrated rant on 18:21 - May 8 with 1639 viewsShun

Frustrated rant on 16:44 - May 8 by since58

Why. ???

I’m not sure really! I think there’s something quite nostalgic about playing small clubs again. I got quite fed up of the insufferable arrogance from the majority of League One teams who thought they shouldn’t be playing teams like Rochdale. It’ll be quite nice to play teams who see League Two as something to be proud of.

As TVOS said as well, new clubs and new grounds. I was watching Cambridge celebrate promotion this afternoon and they were jumping around while stood on a dilapidated roof and it just made me smile. No pretension or arrogance, just pure joy at playing football. And that’s what I’m looking forward to.

To be clear, I’m very far from a person who believes League Two is our rightful place, and I believe we had more than enough to stay up.
Frustrated rant on 18:23 - May 8 with 1632 viewsTVOS1907

Frustrated rant on 18:07 - May 8 by James1980

On the loan players could it be because of the reduced contribution we can make to their wages we don't get the pick of the bunch?

Was it they were not YET quite could enough for the style of football being played in competitive league matches

Do our facilities make training for the style of play BBM/the club wants to play difficult and is this one of the reasons for the desire for improved facilities over the years

[Post edited 8 May 2021 18:28]

We've had some good loan players in the last few seasons, James, such as Ebanks-Landell, Hamilton, Sanchez, Norrington-Davies and Osho, off the top of my head.

Roberts was also looking good, until his and the team's form went rapidly downhill around February time.

Just because a player is classed as "the pick of the bunch" at his parent club doesn't necessarily mean he will be a success in League One.

Ironic edit: Instead of editing your post to ask even more questions, James, what do you think the answers and reasons are?
[Post edited 8 May 2021 19:15]

Frustrated rant on 18:31 - May 8 with 1607 viewsNorthernDale

Frustrated rant on 16:47 - May 8 by Dalenet

Really Shun, really? How about going the full hog and looking forward to playing Altrincham the following season. I understand that we are playing Barrow at al because we deserve it, but I am not looking forward to it at all.

I am not looking forward to next season, this is because I think we will struggle, we will lose some of our better players and no doubt see them replaced by less able players, the player budget will no doubt be reduced due to the loss of income and I have zero faith in BBM to change his tactics. BBM will no doubt return to possession, tippy tappy football that as failed time and time again, because of his belief in that type of football and I have no faith in the management running of the club. The management of the club in recent have slowly destroyed the trust and link between the fans and the club through their actions and almost contempt for the fans. We have not seen the reasons for giving the second year academy players contracts, is it down to a bean counter approach from our CEO, he seems more interested in recruiting management staff, then ensuring we have good players for the future, What impact will this have on our successful academy and its long-term future and the club in general?

I may be wrong in suspecting that many within the club would be more then happy to finish mid-table in league 2 (if we are lucky) and visiting Scunthorpe and Mansfield, instead of Portsmouth or Ipswich, there seems no ambition within the club at present. There may be a plan, but no one, knows what it is.

So I am worried for next season and our future, and will certainly miss the big games that league 1 gave us.
Frustrated rant on 19:01 - May 8 with 1550 viewssince58

Frustrated rant on 18:21 - May 8 by Shun

I’m not sure really! I think there’s something quite nostalgic about playing small clubs again. I got quite fed up of the insufferable arrogance from the majority of League One teams who thought they shouldn’t be playing teams like Rochdale. It’ll be quite nice to play teams who see League Two as something to be proud of.

As TVOS said as well, new clubs and new grounds. I was watching Cambridge celebrate promotion this afternoon and they were jumping around while stood on a dilapidated roof and it just made me smile. No pretension or arrogance, just pure joy at playing football. And that’s what I’m looking forward to.

To be clear, I’m very far from a person who believes League Two is our rightful place, and I believe we had more than enough to stay up.

Fair enuf shun ,but done the nostalgia thing like going to Gresty Road and the corrugated fencing ,and the railway sleeper terracing At Edgely Park etc.
Frustrated rant on 19:18 - May 8 with 1491 viewsTVOS1907

Frustrated rant on 18:21 - May 8 by Shun

"I got quite fed up of the insufferable arrogance from the majority of League One teams who thought they shouldn’t be playing teams like Rochdale."

Quite, but some of the posts on here seem to imply we shouldn't be playing the likes of Harrogate, Sutton (potentially), Salford, Torquay, Mansfield and Scunthorpe!

Frustrated rant on 19:23 - May 8 with 1476 viewsbluevein64

Frustrated rant on 14:09 - May 8 by Plattyswrinklynuts

The issue I have with players loaned from certain PL clubs is that there’s an agenda, whether real or perceived that the club must adapt its playing style to suit those loanees. Even worse is the suggestion that those players must play or there will be no more players loaned out to us!
I’d rather not have them at the club if that’s the case. Better to try to grow our own (which makes the jettisoning of our 2nd year scholars even more damning) or scouring the leagues for lads that we can develop (some on here have termed it the “broken toy” approach).
Both philosophies have worked well for us in the past.

I totally agree with you Platty, I was having a similar conversation with my son the other day - it seems that the loan of Bazunu for example depended upon Dale playing the City way "building from the back" which others have decsribed as "Tippy Tappy" Football - I'm not intending to teach Granny how to suck eggs but the problem is that you (any squad) can't be successful playing the City way if you don't have the calibre of the City players and you don't score goals and win games if you're constantly passing back to the keeper!
Bazunu was rested (too many games) we go more direct and our results improved , it wasn't that difficult to grasp unfortunately BBM didn't grasp it until it was too late.
Frustrated rant on 19:44 - May 8 with 1418 viewstodmordendale

Frustrated rant at Pep who keeps changing the players from his financially bloated squad to the detriment of my Fantasy Football.
Motto, don’t choose any City players in your Fantasy Fookin Football.
Frustrated rant on 20:04 - May 8 with 1367 viewsBeechball

Frustrated rant on 12:14 - May 8 by funkkk

The loaning clubs couldn’t care less how talented our manager is. They want to know that their players will be treated well and given minutes. You know like Bazunu, who played far too much football and, through no fault of his own, was a major factor in our relegation

In that case if we want any more players from Blackburn, we'd better give Vale 90 minutes tomorrow.
Frustrated rant on 20:23 - May 8 with 1334 viewsnordenblue

Frustrated rant on 16:41 - May 8 by Dalenet

With two handles

More like two hats... currently sitting not so pretty in the boardroom
Frustrated rant on 20:33 - May 8 with 1315 viewsSheffield_dale

I want us to be bullish and positive all summer. Words like "straight back up" etc. I remember Ian Evatt being linked when Hilly went. He's served his apprenticeship in national League (which BBM should have done IMO) and has now got Bolton promoted...after a shocking start.

We need to have people at the top that rally the team to "boss" the league and not accept mediocrity. Bull by the horns and all that jazz.

Almost 100% sure we will get the complete opposite.
Frustrated rant on 22:44 - May 8 with 1198 viewsFrog

Frustrated rant on 12:05 - May 8 by James1980

A few people on here have mocked BBM as being referred to as 'talented.' Fair enough he hasn't been talented enough to keep us in league one, this season. But would the clubs who have loaned us players really have done so if he didn't have some degree of coaching and managerial talent?

"Some degree" is anything from 1 -100%, I would put it around 10-15 at best.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024