Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Save Records - Dale connection 14:48 - May 28 with 1811 viewsSandyman

Who remembers this stall on the inside market? Never twigged it was set up by ex-Dale goalkeeper Simon Jones (mid-Sixties), hence its name.

Johnny Trunk, archivist of the unusual in music and popular culture has sent this out today on his mailing list:

"Today, as promised I am launching the latest amazing bargain Trunk tee shirt. I am unbearably excited about this. As followers of my tee shirts over the last few years will have noticed (and there are at least three followers of my tees shirts), I have been turning old / long gone record shop bag graphics into modern / groovy tee shirts. It started with Woolworths Record Dept, then on to Our Price, and the journey has continued around the British provinces, with independent defunkt shops from Chelmsford to Kings Lynn and beyond. The latest "bag tee" is possibly my favourite so far...

In the late 1960s, the Rochdale FC goalie Simon Jones decided to hang up his gloves and open a record shop. And he called it SAVE RECORDS. Of course he did. I believe he also drew the fabulous goalie on the logo (who is catching an LP), which may or may not be a self portrait. He ended up with four Save Record shops in the end - Bury, Radcliffe, Rochdale and Lincoln - the last one standing was in Bury Market which was sadly closed in 2016. Anyway, I tracked down the last owners of Save Records and Simon has given permission to use his logo on the tees. I love everything about this, including the fact that it mixes two reasonably incongruous elements - soccer and record buying. But the message is beyond strong - SAVE RECORDS, and the illustration is a fab example of naïve folky brilliance. I have gone a bit nuts as these things normally sell out fast so this time I have made three different tees and two different sweatshirts. And even my monosylabic super cool teen has stolen one so it must be hip."

https://trunkrecords.greedbag.com/

Save Records - Dale connection on 14:52 - May 28 with 1794 viewsseasidedale

Save record used to provide the records played pre match and half time in the seventies, a deal that Stephen Birch supporters club chairman (1975 supporters club) at the time set up
Save Records - Dale connection on 16:12 - May 28 with 1711 viewsboromat

Love it. Great bit of history. Might have to get one.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Save Records - Dale connection on 18:31 - May 28 with 1611 viewsBeechball

Save Records - Dale connection on 16:12 - May 28 by boromat

Love it. Great bit of history. Might have to get one.

Was a regular customer in the late eighties/early 90s, usually when we weren't playing as jumping up and down in the Sandy wasn't compatible with getting vinyl home safely.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024