Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Glenn Murray retires 14:24 - May 31 with 2371 viewsSuddenLad

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11741/12321318/glenn-murray-former-brigh

Been a great servant to a host of clubs and he was fantastic for us in a Dale shirt. Thanks for the memories, Glenn.
[Post edited 31 May 2021 14:25]

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Glenn Murray retires on 14:46 - May 31 with 2326 viewselectricblue

Glenn certainly knew where the onion bag was at any level....
Enjoy your playing retirement.....
Class striker..

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Glenn Murray retires on 16:26 - May 31 with 2166 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Good luck big fella......great memories of you.

Remember, it all started at t' Dale.
Glenn Murray retires on 16:29 - May 31 with 2158 viewsCockneyDale

Wonder if he can play left back
Glenn Murray retires on 18:19 - May 31 with 2041 viewsBrierls

Fantastic career.

I thought he was great at Dale, but he wasn’t universally adored. He just had that bit of quality with the ball at his feet, he was clever, and worked hard. He’s made the most of his qualities and fair play to him for that.
Glenn Murray retires on 19:10 - May 31 with 1986 views49thseason

Another classic example of what happens when there is no money in the bank and you end up selling players for peanuts. If we could have afforded to keep him for another season we would have been wadded, the £300k we got for him could have been doubled or tripled.
Glenn Murray retires on 19:34 - May 31 with 1933 viewsCockneyDale

Anyone remember going two down at Macclesfield in the driving rain? Murray finally equalised for us very late on - bizarrely this is the first memory of him that comes to mind.
Glenn Murray retires on 19:57 - May 31 with 1889 viewsnordenblue

Glenn Murray retires on 19:34 - May 31 by CockneyDale

Anyone remember going two down at Macclesfield in the driving rain? Murray finally equalised for us very late on - bizarrely this is the first memory of him that comes to mind.

I remember him being pretty bang average for us for a while and at the time surprised he didn't get dropped, lm sure a dodgy type goal turned his game around in a Dale shirt, in the end turned out to be absolutely class and definitely made the most of his talents,very similar to Holty really and they both worked their arse off, fair play for that.
Glenn Murray retires on 20:19 - May 31 with 1846 viewsYouTubeDale

I think his last game for us was the thriller away at Chesterfield when we beat them 4-3 after Perkins scored a hatrick Murray scored what turned out to be the winner. Was n't he sold to Brighton and at the time was their most expensive signing since signing Jimmy Case from Liverpool? The memory plays tricks.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Login to get fewer ads

Glenn Murray retires on 20:27 - May 31 with 1825 viewsEllDale

I always remember the last Q and session that Keith Hill did at the cricket club where he was asked who the best striker was that he had worked with at Dale.
The categorical answer wasn’t Holt or Lambert or Dagnall or O’Grady or Hogan but Murray.
That’ll do for me.
Glenn Murray retires on 21:55 - May 31 with 1734 viewsDaleFan7

Glenn Murray retires on 19:34 - May 31 by CockneyDale

Same game their keeper miskicked a goal kick but our entire team just stood there and watched it go to their striker wasn't it?
Glenn Murray retires on 13:04 - Jun 1 with 1474 viewsfinberty

Fine margins. Imagine if we had managed to hold on to him to complete the season where we got to the play-off final.

Instead, he was sold, and we had to hunt around to borrow others' forwards.
Glenn Murray retires on 14:02 - Jun 1 with 1405 viewspioneer

Glenn Murray retires on 13:04 - Jun 1 by finberty

Fine margins. Imagine if we had managed to hold on to him to complete the season where we got to the play-off final.

Same as when we sold Done to Sheff U.

We shall never know what could have been.
Glenn Murray retires on 14:07 - Jun 1 with 1401 viewsTVOS1907

Glenn Murray retires on 13:04 - Jun 1 by finberty

While that's true, his replacement, albeit on loan, Rene Howe, scored as many goals, if not more, than Murray might have.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Glenn Murray retires on 14:14 - Jun 1 with 1386 viewsJames1980

How long did he have on his contract when we sold him to Brighton?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Glenn Murray retires on 14:36 - Jun 1 with 1366 viewsTVOS1907

Glenn Murray retires on 14:14 - Jun 1 by James1980

How long did he have on his contract when we sold him to Brighton?

Another 18 months, according to Wikipedia, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Glenn Murray retires on 15:11 - Jun 1 with 1320 viewsfinberty

Glenn Murray retires on 14:07 - Jun 1 by TVOS1907

While that's true, his replacement, albeit on loan, Rene Howe, scored as many goals, if not more, than Murray might have.

We had four straight wins in January, sold Murray, and had three straight defeats.

The balance was disturbed.

Of course, had he stayed, he could have got injured in the first week in Feb (or massively demoralised) and we'd be in the same boat..
Glenn Murray retires on 15:40 - Jun 1 with 1287 viewsTVOS1907

Glenn Murray retires on 15:11 - Jun 1 by finberty

We had four straight wins in January, sold Murray, and had three straight defeats.

The balance was disturbed.

Of course, had he stayed, he could have got injured in the first week in Feb (or massively demoralised) and we'd be in the same boat..

After we sold Murray our next two games were won at MK Dons (1-0) and Chester (4-0). The three defeats followed those.

It's impossible to know if the same outcome would have happened with him still in the team.

To my mind, what cost us were two crappy 1-0 home defeats to Wycombe and Chesterfield, although we hit pretty good form immediately afterwards.

Glenn Murray retires on 16:33 - Jun 1 with 1238 viewsJames1980

Glenn Murray retires on 14:36 - Jun 1 by TVOS1907

Another 18 months, according to Wikipedia, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

So possibly if we had kept him there might have been a risk of getting less because of him having less time on his contract and no guarantee of promotion.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Glenn Murray retires on 16:50 - Jun 1 with 1215 viewsfinberty

Glenn Murray retires on 15:40 - Jun 1 by TVOS1907

After we sold Murray our next two games were won at MK Dons (1-0) and Chester (4-0). The three defeats followed those.

It's impossible to know if the same outcome would have happened with him still in the team.

To my mind, what cost us were two crappy 1-0 home defeats to Wycombe and Chesterfield, although we hit pretty good form immediately afterwards.

Oh I agree it's impossible.

What I can recall is watching our patched-together team in the final, and looking at Stockport fielding its first choice line-up, none of whom were at that time required to be sold, as Murray was.

Our squad was so threadbare that when David Perkins was suspended for the final, he was replaced by someone who had barely played in the first team, TVOS will know the exact details here.

In my parallel universe, keeping Murray would have seen us go straight up, never mind farting about with play-offs, and then he could have been sold for more dosh. Win win.
Glenn Murray retires on 17:10 - Jun 1 with 1193 viewsAtThePeake

Glenn Murray retires on 16:50 - Jun 1 by finberty

Oh I agree it's impossible.

What I can recall is watching our patched-together team in the final, and looking at Stockport fielding its first choice line-up, none of whom were at that time required to be sold, as Murray was.

Our squad was so threadbare that when David Perkins was suspended for the final, he was replaced by someone who had barely played in the first team, TVOS will know the exact details here.

In my parallel universe, keeping Murray would have seen us go straight up, never mind farting about with play-offs, and then he could have been sold for more dosh. Win win.

Perkins was the only regular starter missing from the team at Wembley. Hill went for D'Laryea to come in at right-back and to move Ramsden into midfield over Doolan, presumably as he was not the fittest player in the squad and there was a worry he would struggle to last too long on the famously large pitch especially in replacing Perkins who was so energetic. The rest of the side was as strong as it could've been.

Hill started with both Le Fondre and Dagnall in the starting XI rather than pairing one or the other with Howe, but as TVOS pointed out, Howe was in good form during his loan spell with us - and his physicality made him a better foil for either Dagnall or Le Fondre than the pair of them playing together. I always got the impression that it was a sentimental decision, not knowing which of the two to drop for the big occasion and thus taking the option to leave the loanee out, so maybe if Murray had been available it would've been a slightly different story, but we certainly weren't without options in attack that day.

Tangled up in blue.

Glenn Murray retires on 17:11 - Jun 1 with 1192 viewsAtThePeake

Glenn Murray retires on 17:10 - Jun 1 by AtThePeake

Perkins was the only regular starter missing from the team at Wembley. Hill went for D'Laryea to come in at right-back and to move Ramsden into midfield over Doolan, presumably as he was not the fittest player in the squad and there was a worry he would struggle to last too long on the famously large pitch especially in replacing Perkins who was so energetic. The rest of the side was as strong as it could've been.

Hill started with both Le Fondre and Dagnall in the starting XI rather than pairing one or the other with Howe, but as TVOS pointed out, Howe was in good form during his loan spell with us - and his physicality made him a better foil for either Dagnall or Le Fondre than the pair of them playing together. I always got the impression that it was a sentimental decision, not knowing which of the two to drop for the big occasion and thus taking the option to leave the loanee out, so maybe if Murray had been available it would've been a slightly different story, but we certainly weren't without options in attack that day.

Also... I do wonder if any Stockport fans wish their players had been 'required' to be sold in the January given what came in the following few seasons?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Tangled up in blue.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024