Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
An open letter to Andrew Kelly 09:36 - Jul 3 with 41750 viewsColDale

With all the issues that have taken place this year, Dale fans have never associated yourself with any of that. You can see that with your re-election vote at the AGM where 95% of supporters voted in favour of you. You are not seen in the same light as Bottomley and Rawlinson. Dale supporters know you for what you are — a proper Rochdale bloke who loves both the Club and the town.

Arguably, you’ve been the one constant at the Club in the past twenty years, the one constant through the most successful time in our 114 year history and from my dealings with you, I am well aware of all the work you have done that doesn’t reach the public domain — whether that be your work with the academy, or your work with both Hilly and Flicker throughout that time. This club would not be what it is had you not been involved.

We’re Rochdale, we’ve always been different. We’ve never had an owner in modern history. The likes of Cannon have tried but there’s been a Rochdale way that has seen us shine since the dark days of the 80’s where we almost dropped into non league. That Rochdale way has led to a succession of hard working individuals acting in the best interests of the Club — you as much as any of them — and that has seen us survive and prosper.

We’ve not had the debts of other clubs, we’ve not gone into admin unlike every other EFL club in the area. We’ve had the stadium rebuilt into what it is today, we’ve had the most successful time on the field in our entire history, and we’ve been a benchmark for every other club to follow. That’s come on your watch.

This weekend is the most important weekend in the history of the Club.

By the end of this weekend, we might be in a position where we have a single owner or pair of owners. That fantastic video that the club put out about “This is my club” that got me all emotional might need remaking.

What do we know about them? Practically nothing — one comes from Essex seems to have no trail whatsoever which carries it own set of red flags and the other comes from Worksop with a history in housing developments.

But we are at the stage where they are close to getting the keys to the club.

What else do we know? Well I believe that they’d already shown an interest and you’d knocked it back. They weren’t good enough for the club a few months ago, so why now?

We know we disagreed about MH and whether that was in the best interests of the club, but if MH wasn’t the answer, why are we going with people who were dismissed as tyre kickers previously?

You can understand the others for selling to them. They’ve not got the history you have, despite their claims. They’ve never been here for most of their lives, they’ve never put their own money in year after year. They are not what we would call proper Rochdale people. You are. You’ve always been “What can I do for this club?” rather than “What’s in it for me” and that is why you are so respected within the town/

I implore you not to sell your shares in the Club, and if you do there are alternatives that protect the best interests of the Football Club and give you the legacy that you richly deserve. You’ve done your time and nobody can blame you for wanting to enjoy your retirement. You’ve done far more than any of the rest of us would do, but there’s one thing left to do that will protect the Club you love and have done so much for.
An open letter to Andrew Kelly on 09:51 - Jul 3 with 13635 viewsRAFCBLUE

Dear Andrew,

You don't know me; we've never met. I have though, like you, been to every corner of the UK watching us lose, win and draw along with many others and share a love for the continued success of Rochdale AFC.

My love of both Sacred Heart, where you have done immense life changing good in that corner of Rochdale and what has been achieved at Rochdale is aligned with yours.

But we appear to be at a crossroads, Andrew. A lifechanging crossroads. You know that more than anyone.

The ability to make economic profit needs to be weighed up against the feelings of those at Sacred Heart, in the club, the town and its wider communities.

The ability to make economic profit also needs to be weighed up against the legacy that inadvertently your shares in the hands of another was the step to ruin.

I'll draw a parallel with Joy Hart and how she allowed the shares in her trust at bury fc to be taken, stolen and manipulated by people who did not care deeply about her club. We know how things at bury unfolded and the image of Joy Hart handcuffed to a drainpipe at the club she loved is a reminder of how easily it can all be undone.

Your work in the town and the club over 13 years needs to keep its legacy and that can only be done if you are sitting in the Boardroom alongside others.

I'm encouraged by your stoic and steadfast resolve in similar circumstances where a year ago in 2020 you said clearly, openly and categorically:
"In conclusion, let me make it clear, my shares are NOT FOR SALE."

I hope we can trust and rely on you Andrew.

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2020/june/statement--andrew-kelly/

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

An open letter to Andrew Kelly on 10:03 - Jul 3 with 13443 viewsBoss_Hog

Dear Andrew,

You have looked people in the eye, wrote articles passionately about protecting the club and done untold positives things for RAFC over the past decade. You have put your money where your mouth is in support of the team, but your actions over the next 24 hours will dictate how the people of Rochdale remember you forever.

Do you want to be remembered like The Overcoat Men and David Clough or like David Bottomley? There have been people from Littleborough who have done great things for this football club. I know you knew David Clough and saw almost every day the extent he went to to help fundraise for the club he loved. You helped him along the way with financial guidance and then later sold his house getting the best price you could for him and ultimately RAFC. That man left everything he owned to the club, be remembered like DC and not DB.
[Post edited 3 Jul 2021 11:19]
An open letter to Andrew Kelly on 10:13 - Jul 3 with 13331 views442Dale

- a club that built its reputation on doing things ‘the Rochdale way‘. The right way.

- a club that struggled for decades but continued battling through re-elections bids and adversity.

- a club that avoided automatic relegation from the Football League in the very first season it was introduced.

- a club that rebuilt its whole ground, transforming it within a decade whilst retaining the traditional feel of the place.

- a club which created a youth system that has led to players coming through to not only represent Dale, but go on to build successful careers elsewhere too.

- a club that turned around careers and improved players. The likes of Welch, Reeves, Butler, Holt, Lambert, Le Fondre, O’Grady, Dawson, Done, Hogan and more all playing at higher levels and in Lambert’s case, scoring for his country.

- a club which improved on the field, with the odd blips, to challenge for and finally win promotion before challenging at a higher level. All on limited resources and making the most of what we have.

- a club which has consistently made the most of those resources in cup competitions to take some of the biggest sides in the country to the limit.

- a club where supporters want to turn up in the sun, rain and wintery weather to help out where they can, thinking nothing of interrupting their Christmas holidays to shovel snow off the pitch.

- a club where those same supporters feel they have a say and they matter.

- a club where to do the wrong thing would throw all of that and much more up into the air; creating bad feeling and anxiety amongst fans, staff, the local community and the entire town.

Do the right thing.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

An open letter to Andrew Kelly on 10:25 - Jul 3 with 13011 viewsTomRAFC

Dear Andrew,

You have had a long and successful time with the club, which led to many rewards. You deserve an equally long, successful and rewarding retirement.

If recent events have taught me anything, it's that I haven't given enough time to my club. I have sat back and watched in awe as dedicated people, such as yourself, have gone above and beyond, time and time again.

They are your well earned shares to sell, the only question is to who? If you wrote an open letter today, offering your shares to the fan base, they would move heaven and earth to ensure you received the dividends you have rightly earned.

Will you give us a chance?

To us, you are the Andrew Kelly who built the best academy in the country. Please don't become the Andrew Kelly who broke a towns heart.

If you're selling, we're buying.

Up the dale.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

An open letter to Andrew Kelly on 10:53 - Jul 3 with 12764 viewsjudd

Mr.Kelly, you were man enough to meet up with me 11 years ago when I upset you with a comment I made on here.

I would be happy enough to meet up again and plead the cases of fellow.fans who have so eloquently and heart-tuggingly pleaded with you on this thread.

If you do wish to sell, let's see what other options are open to you.

Given your history in sport and employment in this town,.I know you will do things for the right reasons.

None of us has been privy to the overtures of Jarvis, Rose and Curran, and despite what their representative on here said last night, I would counter that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Thank you.

Poll: What is it to be then?

An open letter to Andrew Kelly on 11:14 - Jul 3 with 12604 viewsBrierls

Andrew,

You, more than anyone on this board, have earned your stripes as a custodian of Rochdale Association Football Club. You’ve done so with passion and drive and I don’t think it always comes across how grateful the fans and indeed people of Rochdale are for that.

It is completely understandable that you feel it is time for you to take a step back and enjoy a well earned retirement. I’m not sure anybody could or will argue with that. But that time and decision comes with a consequence that affects every single person associated with The Dale; any sale of your large shareholding to people without your passion and genuine affection for this football club and town puts Rochdale Football Club at immeasurable risk.

There has been enough upheaval and unrest at our beloved Dale of late, I ask you to protect your legacy and the football club at this critical juncture.

Please sell your shares to the fans and keep the controlling stake of the club Rochdale driven. As above, If you're selling, we're buying.

Regards.
An open letter to Andrew Kelly on 12:06 - Jul 3 with 12262 viewsSuddenLad

Andrew,
It seems from current reports, that our great club is currently sitting very close to the edge of an abyss, so deep that if it falls, it is likely to be beyond salvation. The supporters are very worried indeed, and it would seem, with good reason.

You have a critical role to play in the unfolding drama, in which you can either become a hero, or go down in history as the man who sold us down the river into oblivion.

You have repeatedly said, publicly, that your shares are NOT for sale. Of course, it is your prerogative to change your mind and no-one but you can do anything about it.

If you choose to make that decision to sell, please do so with great forethought and do so in the very best interests of Rochdale AFC and its'supporters, rather than simply off-loading the shares to the first 'Johnny-come-lately' who waves a large bundle of notes at you. You have the entire future of this great club in the palm of your hand and the decision you make could have repercussions that will reverberate around this town for many years.

You have invested as much time and effort into this club in recent history as anyone else. Your efforts have brought and continue to bring great rewards. Do you, even for a minute, want to see that all flushed away? No, of course you don't.

There are thousands of people out there, with crossed fingers, hoping beyond hope that we have a club to support in 5, 10, 20 years for us and future generations to enjoy. The club is the heartbeat of the town and the community. The club means more to some people than their own families do. That's the nature of Rochdale AFC. That's US.

We aren't Bury, but we could very soon emulate them. I don't think for a minute that you either want that, or want to cause that.

Neither I nor anyone else can prevent you from doing what you will, but ALL fans of this club hope you do the right thing for the club. Surely, you will, won't you?

Up the Dale.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

An open letter to Andrew Kelly on 13:15 - Jul 3 with 11886 viewsChaffRAFC

Andrew,

As a supporter for nearly three decades, this football club isn't just a football club to me, it's one of the biggest things in my life. Me and my Dad spent many, many years travelling the country watching our team, right up until his death. His ashes were buried under the pitch at Spotland.

Without this football club, I wouldn't have my son, my partner, my friends or my job. All of that links back to Rochdale AFC. My son doesn't pretend to be Messi, Ronaldo, Aguero or Salah when he's playing football, he pretends he's Joe Thompson, Stephen Humphrys, Ollie Rathbone and Ian Henderson.

I am just one person, there will be countless others whose life revolves around Rochdale and for the work and years of service, and money you've put in, I would assume this goes for you too.

The club is in danger, grave danger of falling into the wrong hands and the effect this will have on the community, the supporters, local sports teams, local kids football could be devastating.

Your statement last year after Dan Altman and Emre Marcelli aquired their shares said, very clearly, that your shares were not for sale. I appreciate that circumstances change but as someone who the supporters have always seen as one of the good guys, I would sincerely hope you do what is best for this football club.

Selling your shares to people who don't hold this football club in their hearts like me, like my Dad, like my son, like the fans in the recent season ticket video, like the guys in the Trust, like YOU, poses a threat to everything that has been worked for in our 114 year history.

This is my club.

This is your club.

It's not theirs.

Up The Dale!

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Login to get fewer ads

An open letter to Andrew Kelly on 14:19 - Jul 3 with 11532 viewsTalkingSutty

Dear Andrew, you don’t know me but all of your family does. They should do because just like the Kelly’s my family is a large one and known throughout Littleborough. Steeped in the history of the village really...bonded through playing on the same rugby league and cricket teams, endless nights drinking in the same pubs, the Trades Hall Club and the Cricket Club, fighting fires together from the local fire station. Our families are linked and we all know each other, respect each other.

We did actually meet face to face a couple of months ago when i arrived unannounced on your doorstep one Sunday morning and we sat together in your living room, chatting about the Clubs that you loved, Sacred Heart and of course the Dale. I remember you telling me that you were cheesed off with the Club and had enough of it, done your whack...you offered to give away your shares to me. We spoke about David Bottomley etc and you said that as the interim Chairman you were going meet up with the overcoat men and get the situation sorted, in fact you fielded a phone call from Graham Morris as we spoke. I left your house feeling as though you wouldn’t let the Club down, let the Town down, let myself and fellow Dale fans down.

It’s not just about letting down the people who are still with us though Andrew, it’s also about respecting the great servants of this Club who are now sadly departed and their families...Paul Hazlehurst, Fred Ratcliffe, Tom Nichol, Reg Jenkins, Maureen Peacock, David Clough, Colin Markel Smith, Tom Mumford, Harry Webster and many, many more. They all loved this Club so much and they would turn in their graves to know it had been sold off by the people who purported to be Custodians of it, you are the main custodian Andrew you accepted that role when you became interim Chairman.

Personally I have had many sleepless nights over the last couple of years due to worrying about the Club, my family have four generations of support. My grandad supported them over 100 years ago, my father and uncle started around the late 1940s, I started in 1976, my son started in 2002. So Andrew this isn’t a football club to us , it’s family...and you don’t sell your own family.

You now have a golden opportunity to put yourself and your family name forward as the person who actually saved Rochdale Association Football Club from being sold out, the person who was responsible for keeping professional sport alive in this town, both football and rugby. The person who searched his conscience, thought about the Kelly legacy and made a stand and did the right thing for the people of Rochdale. Be that man Andrew and nobody begrudges you selling your shares but sell them to the people connected with our football club, that’s all i ask of you, give the Club the opportunity to take them off your hands. When we all leave this earth, we leave a legacy behind us and it’s one that our families have to be proud about, our children and our grand children...make them proud Andrew, make us all proud of you please.
[Post edited 3 Jul 2021 14:30]
An open letter to Andrew Kelly on 14:35 - Jul 3 with 11405 viewsBigKindo

Dear Andrew,

In recent months we exchanged emails when I advised you that despite, in my case, 70 years of supporting the Club, I and other members of the family would not return to the support the Club. You asked that we change our minds as you wrote 'that supporters like you are like gold dust to the Club.' At the time I told you that we would return to the Club when Bottomley was no longer involved. That has come to pass but there does perhaps appear to be a miasma emanating external to the Club as a result of certain warranted changes in the Boardroom. Hopefully being a man of my words, we intend to purchase season cards etc. But now it appears that following the actions of these external forces the decision re season cards may have to be reconsidered. I am sure that many other supporters will now be thinking exactly the same. With your probably having more inside knowledge than the paying customers would you advise that season cards should be purchased?

The potential body blow of an unwanted takeover of the Club will be deterring potential management applicants and new players from seeking employment at the Club during this very critical pre season period.
An open letter to Andrew Kelly on 14:43 - Jul 3 with 11338 viewsfitzochris

Hi Andrew. I’ve nothing more to add to my plea to you last night other than to say you can see it’s echoed here by many others.

I’ve already mistakenly trusted one person had the club’s best intentions at heart, please don’t make it two.

There are other options.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

An open letter to Andrew Kelly on 16:16 - Jul 3 with 10958 viewsrochedale

Dear Andrew

If you want to sell your shares, message someone on here, I’m sure there’ll be a few of us who will club together and buy them off you, rather than sell to those who aren’t fans.

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

An open letter to Andrew Kelly on 18:20 - Jul 3 with 10607 viewswildie

Dear Andrew

I’d also like to plead / beg for you not to share your shares. Littleborough born and bred the Dale has been my only team since the age of six. I am now 43. It is and always will be whilst in existence my only club.

At the age of six I attended my first match with my Grandad it was against Crew Alexander and yes we lost this was in the days of fans of just over 1000 vic Hallam was manger. The next year I was a mascot against Halifax Town we drew 1-1. My Grandad had arranged it for me as a treat, I still remember that day now, was one of the best days of my life. These where just two of many games I watched with my Grandad I still now from my seat in the Pearl street look at our spot in the Sandy Lane and in my mind see him, flat cap and a ploom of smoke from his pipe rising into the roof of the Stand. When I’m at Spotland I’m still with my Grandad

January 13th 2007. Rochdale had recently sacked there manger and Keith Hill was in charge. My Dad Harry asked If I was going to the game. I was and he said he would like to come with me. We had a pre match pint in Pearl street bar and took our seats for the game. Rochdale played unbelievable football that day it was the start of no fear football. Sadly we lost to a certain Rikki Lambert goal. Me and my dad left that day purring of the football we had just seen. That was to be the very last thing with my dad. It was our last pint together, our last father son thing together, our last Dale game together. He died the following weekend from terminal prostate cancer. I will always remember Rochdale for giving me the last thing me and my dad did together.

I have a son Zak, he’s 14 and attended his first Dale game at the age of four. He collects all his shirts from every season. It was only during the lockdown he went through them all and said he’d like to get them all framed. His favourite shirt is the one signed by all the players when we played Leeds UTD in the Fa Cup he was mascot like his dad had been. My phone, memories stories are full of our games together dads and lads trips away, him moaning at me when I’m being too negative!! Like me the club is in his blood. he won’t have the chance to watch the Dale with his Grandad but together we go for him, create our own memories and I hope like the generations before him he takes his son/ daughter and I can take my Grandchildren

So that’s it, that’s my plea. This club is family, it’s memories, it’s passed through generations, it gives us more than football. Good people have helped that happen it’s roots values, love spread and passed through us all. It’s egacy can live on if allowed to be nurtured by those who love it for what it is. Please don’t sell your shares protect something that is much much more than what these people see it has.

I know as a local man like myself deep down you know where the heart of this club needs to be with and a selling of the shares will lead to one thing

Yours in hope
SW
An open letter to Andrew Kelly on 19:03 - Jul 3 with 10370 viewsD_Alien

Oh, the silence

A Kelly will be perfectly aware of this thread

Might i suggest we all stop pleading and wait till he moves one way or another, or a statement comes out, either from himself or the club?

And yes, i realise what the stakes are. All the more reason to now stop pleading and hold our nerve

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

An open letter to Andrew Kelly on 19:45 - Jul 3 with 10220 viewsBigKindo

Sadly Andrew has a dilemma. He has a high profile business within the community. Make the wrong decision and you don't have a business.
An open letter to Andrew Kelly on 19:50 - Jul 3 with 10172 viewsD_Alien

An open letter to Andrew Kelly on 19:45 - Jul 3 by BigKindo

Sadly Andrew has a dilemma. He has a high profile business within the community. Make the wrong decision and you don't have a business.

That's it though BK

There is no dilemma, is there?

Ruin your business and reputation, be unable to hold your head up where you live OR very simply do the right thing

There's nothing remotely sad about it!

An open letter to Andrew Kelly on 20:12 - Jul 3 with 10079 viewsEllDale

He’s in his 70’s.
If he makes enough from selling his shares to give himself a comfy nest egg for retirement why should he give a sh1t about the business?
At least we haven’t descended to Bury levels.
No reports of people marching towards Blackstone Edge or Dobcross with torches and pick forks!
An open letter to Andrew Kelly on 22:10 - Jul 3 with 9788 viewsBlueMessiah

An open letter to Andrew Kelly on 20:12 - Jul 3 by EllDale

He’s in his 70’s.
If he makes enough from selling his shares to give himself a comfy nest egg for retirement why should he give a sh1t about the business?
No reports of people marching towards Blackstone Edge or Dobcross with torches and pick forks!

Doubt he's short of a couple of quid.

Poll: Do I Know You?

An open letter to Andrew Kelly on 23:00 - Jul 3 with 9588 viewsboromat

An open letter to Andrew Kelly on 20:12 - Jul 3 by EllDale

He’s in his 70’s.

No problem with that as long as he sells his shares to us fans. I'm sure we can find enough of us to cover the cost.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

An open letter to Andrew Kelly on 23:16 - Jul 3 with 9522 views_Windydale

I think it's fine for fans to continue making the emotive claims not to sell up.

A lot of guys will feel pained to make their personal point. If only to feel they have expressed their eloquent bit. Showing the personal impact of a sale to these asset strippers and potential death of the club.
An open letter to Andrew Kelly on 23:38 - Jul 3 with 9439 viewsD_Alien

An open letter to Andrew Kelly on 23:16 - Jul 3 by _Windydale

I think it's fine for fans to continue making the emotive claims not to sell up.

A lot of guys will feel pained to make their personal point. If only to feel they have expressed their eloquent bit. Showing the personal impact of a sale to these asset strippers and potential death of the club.

People will say how they see it

As a fan who's every bit as passionate as anyone else (I think that comes through in match threads) i'm simply putting another perspective forward - one which A Kelly could resolve immediately. It doesn't need to be an official statement, he just needs to confirm his intentions to a trusted source

In the continuing absence of that, it needs hard-headedness, not pleading. Those we're up against will be beaten with the former, not the latter

An open letter to Andrew Kelly on 00:52 - Jul 4 with 9328 views_Windydale

An open letter to Andrew Kelly on 23:38 - Jul 3 by D_Alien

As a fan who's every bit as passionate as anyone else (I think that comes through in match threads) i'm simply putting another perspective forward - one which A Kelly could resolve immediately. It doesn't need to be an official statement, he just needs to confirm his intentions to a trusted source

In the continuing absence of that, it needs hard-headedness, not pleading. Those we're up against will be beaten with the former, not the latter

I've no doubt of the passion in your messages Dalien as a core fan of the club.

I feel there is a richness to the fan perspective messages on here and all are a great read.

I'm sure Kelly won't be insensitive and we will hear something quickly. These letters express a strong historical bond between fan and club.

I also share that sense of urgency and anxiety though. It's a frustration, and delays might impact season ticket sales, manager appointments, and worse control of the club. To a group who may be looking to asset strip, and use the club to raise themselves capital for solely their own benefit.

It's a no-brainer I know, Kelly can help shift things along with a positive statement, on intention if he is key to the outcome of this struggle. Pop that unease. Let's have some stability at Spotland. A bright future. Something for fans, old and new to enjoy for years to come.
[Post edited 4 Jul 2021 1:11]
An open letter to Andrew Kelly on 01:18 - Jul 4 with 9298 views49thseason

Lets take a couple of steps backwards.
1.We dont know if the 40% number is accurate or not, do they in fact have any shares from current holders or were they bluffing? If not then Kelly doesnt hold the balance of power.
2. Do we know how poorly Kelly is? I assume pretty poorly as he didnt attend the agm / egm meetings , is he still of sound mind even?
3. Is the new board aware of any requests to transfer major amounts of shares from one person to another?
4. If the shareholders personal info was leaked by an employee of the club, does that provide grounds for the board to refuse to transfer shares?
5. Is the list of people who might sell major chunks of shares just about the complete list or are there more who might sell?
6. Would any of the major shareholders consider selling to, say the Trust, even a portion of their shareholding?
7. I doubt they are in the position to do so but the club might consider some sort of deal to buy back Kellys shares and return them to treasury.
8. Might the proposed shares sale instigate more shareholders to sell up rather than have their shareholding diluted?
[Post edited 4 Jul 2021 1:19]
An open letter to Andrew Kelly on 02:59 - Jul 4 with 9249 viewsThreeLions

It's too late Curran and Rose have the necessary amount of shares needed to take over the club. I'm done with it. Whoever sold out to them you are shisters. RIP RAFC
An open letter to Andrew Kelly on 03:02 - Jul 4 with 10064 viewsBrierls

Is the OP not enough of a ‘trusted source’, or maybe some others ‘pleading’ on this thread? People who were rightfully lauded for their actions in ridding the club of Bottomley and Rawlinson.

The open letter to Andrew Kelly hasn’t been written because there’s nothing else to do on a Saturday morning, it’s been written because there is a very real threat of a controlling stake in our club being purchased by people with no affiliation to Dale. There is a very real threat of Andrew Kelly’s shares being the tipping point of a controlling stake, with other large shareholding’s already having been sold.

Be hard headed or however you want to be, but please don’t tell others how they should act in response to this situation when they are almost certainly more informed than you or I.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024