Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? 09:05 - Jul 8 with 4435 viewsncfc_chalky

I was five and have very vague recollections of the celebrations afterwards more than the game itself but been assured that I watched it on a black n white TV,was anybody actually there?

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 09:34 - Jul 8 with 3545 viewsjohnn

Watched on tv ,was 18 great game but nothing since,hopefully more on Sunday but it will be hard
Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 09:38 - Jul 8 with 3534 views49thseason

I was 13, we watched on a black and white TV , I recall it was a sunny afternoon and that the roads were completely deserted. My Primary School pal Arthur Heap was walking down the middle of the road during extra time delivering the evening papers, not a single car anywhere. I dont remember there being any mad scenes in the streets later and I was too young to know if the pubs were busy that night.
Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 09:48 - Jul 8 with 3502 viewsjonahwhereru

Don’t Chalky.
I was four at the time. I have no recollection of any of it. We didn’t have a television and I think my Dad used to go to a relative to watch matches. They would have known I wanted to go as well. A bone of contention I have never got over.
Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 09:51 - Jul 8 with 3495 viewsDaleiLama

I'd be 5 1/2 and hopefully not in bed at 3pm, but don't remember it in all honesty. But I can't remember what I had for tea last night either. Hopefully Sunday will be very memorable. G/f got Italy in the sweep for us and her daughter got England so £190 coming into the house for a £20 stake. Want England to win obviously but £120 for an Italy win should cover a few scoops and a fish supper by way of mild consolation.

Edit - just seen Jonah's reply .... good point - not sure when we got our first telly. Grandad had a telly repair shop and we always got his hand-me-downs but can't remember when that started either.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2021 9:54]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 10:01 - Jul 8 with 3476 viewsSheffdale

I was 12 and football daft even then. At Scouts in the week before the final, we needed a late replacement for a camping competition at Ashworth Valley and my sense of obligation saw me reluctantly volunteer. I went home, told my Dad, and cried. I was allowed to watch the highlights on the b+w tv and did catch the scores on the odd transistor radio dotted about the valley. I can't say my heart was in estimating the height of sycamore trees! So Sunday will be a first for me really.
Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 11:30 - Jul 8 with 3358 viewspioneer

I was 9 and watched it in our front room. it was the world cup that first got me interested in footy. My old man always watched the FACup final but I never really paid much attention until then.

I still have lonnie donegan vinyl single World Cup Willie.

It was pre colour TV so if anyone tries to tell you they watched it in colour. they are telling porkies.

First colour tv broadcast was in 1969 (another memorable year for footy)...petula clark concert.
Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 11:40 - Jul 8 with 3339 viewsYadHoDale

6 months old. Don't remember it.
Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 11:43 - Jul 8 with 3336 viewsHuddersdale1

Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 11:30 - Jul 8 by pioneer

I was 9 and watched it in our front room. it was the world cup that first got me interested in footy. My old man always watched the FACup final but I never really paid much attention until then.

It was pre colour TV so if anyone tries to tell you they watched it in colour. they are telling porkies.

First colour tv broadcast was in 1969 (another memorable year for footy)...petula clark concert.

Same here, I was 8 and although I can remember watching the 65 and 66 FA Cup Finals it was the World Cup that got me hooked. Watched it in our front room with my Mum and a mate of mine (no idea where my Dad was!)
Login to get fewer ads

Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 12:10 - Jul 8 with 3307 viewsmingthemerciless

I was 17 and playing good standard amateur football for TBA. I watched it on my own at home, my dad had no interest in football so mum and dad had gone out shopping. I’d seen Germany batter Switzerland early on so me and a pal had lumped on Germany at 10 to 1. I couldn’t see anybody beating them. This was before England got their act together. So I was in a win win situation.

The Saturday night after the game was just like any other Saturday night, nobody was going ape shit, throwing pints around etc. We met at the “ Temp “ around 7-00 , some guys played snooker, I read the” Pink “ from cover to cover. When we’d all arrived it was the usual Saturday night pub crawl. “ The Star”, “ Swan With Two Necks “, “ Navigation “ , Citizen “ etc finishing off in the “ Old Clock Face “. Last bus home at 11-05. The town would be deserted by 11-15, just the odd copper walking around.

I was thinking the other day why people back then just took it all in their stride. For one thing pubs were shut on Saturday afternoons so no mass gatherings. Nearly everybody would have watched the game at home. Not many people drank at home then either. At night the pubs shut at 11-00 so that was that, time to go home. I also think people were expecting to win it next time, we were a good team by the end of the comp.

“ Diddy Dave “ who posts on here mentioned he actually went to the final a while ago. No doubt he’ll chime in at some point.
Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 12:25 - Jul 8 with 3287 viewsncfc_chalky

I found it very strange that nobody else celebrated the win apart from a small terraced house in Nottingham so I've investigated further and I've been lead to believe that the memory was of a wedding party...so that's it then,I can't remember anything about it

When did people start to celebrate football in the local neighborhood then?

Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 12:25 - Jul 8 with 3287 viewsEllDale

I was 11 and had just left St Johns before starting at St Wilfrids.
Watched it at home with my dad and Grandad.
One point seldom made is that we'd been at war with Germany just over 21 years before this.
Plenty of sour memories from my Grandad.
Remember most of the game and Nobby Stiles dancing round the pitch afterwards.
As has been mentioned the pubs shut at 2.00pm in those days and didn't open again until after the game had finished so there wasn't any of the beer fuelled hysteria that you see these days.
Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 12:36 - Jul 8 with 3260 viewselectricblue

Seeing i was about 3 1/2 at the time i dont have any recollection at all.
Also we couldnt afford a tv but my grand parents did and i reckon that my two elder uncles watched it with grandad on an old BW TV.
I do vaguely remember the owd chap giving the TV a few might thuds and most probably my poor Aunt would we holding the coat hanger acting as a tv ariel..
Up a bit our Joan.
To the left a bit our joan.
Hold it and dont move.

I was probably playing in the garden with my gran and the dog.....

I do remember Mexico 1970 though....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 12:42 - Jul 8 with 3256 viewsD_Alien

Still at junior school (St.John's), i was on holiday with my family in Lymington on the south coast, staying with some relatives. I'd been avidly watching England's progress before then and my biggest concern was - did they have a telly? We'd arrived on the Friday night and noticed there was no telly in the living room. So i blurted out (like kids do) "Dad, there's no telly!!" at which point my uncle opened a cupboard and brought out a 9-inch portable that took a fair bit of aerial adjustment to settle

Strange, but after a while your eyes just get used to it. I'd have been beyond devastated to have missed it. After the game, me and my older brother got into hot water for kicking a ball about in their garden, trying to replicate Geoff Hurst's goals and knocking over a few of their prize roses

[Post edited 8 Jul 2021 12:44]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 12:44 - Jul 8 with 3244 viewsSandyman

All I can recall is that I'd been playing out all afternoon and came home for me tea to witness the Wembley celebrations on telly.
Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 13:22 - Jul 8 with 3182 viewsDiddyDave

Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 11:30 - Jul 8 by pioneer

I watched it in colour!!
Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 13:43 - Jul 8 with 3167 viewsDiddyDave

Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 13:22 - Jul 8 by DiddyDave

I watched it in colour!!

I started work at Rediffusion in August 1965 straight from school. Colour was just coming in then, but only on BBC2. There were a lot of teething troubles as there always is with new fangle mediums, one of which was trying to get a decent signal from the big television mast on the hill near Bolton (Winter Hill?). Anyway, as a lot of you may remember, the Reddy had wired vision in all the new council estates, Smallbridge, Ashfield Valley, Falinge, a couple more that I can`t recall and in all the older estates, Kirkholt, Turf Hill, Belfield, Wallbank, etc, and when it was working as it should the picture was good. I can`t recall when the other two channels went out in colour, maybe the late 60s, but that`s why the game was only shown in black and white that day.
Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 13:56 - Jul 8 with 3134 viewsncfc_chalky

I had completely forgotten about Rediffusion TV and radio,it brought back memories of going to visiting my grandma's and turning a switch on her windowsill to get the radio on,took me right back that did

Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 14:24 - Jul 8 with 3098 viewsDiddyDave

Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 13:56 - Jul 8 by ncfc_chalky

I had completely forgotten about Rediffusion TV and radio,it brought back memories of going to visiting my grandma's and turning a switch on her windowsill to get the radio on,took me right back that did

That`s right Chalky, your Gran would`ve had a "drop-in" cable that connected from the box just under the guttering to the switch that we normally screwed into the side of the window frame. Old Mr Bell in Facit called it the "Clock on`t wall".
Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 17:21 - Jul 8 with 2997 viewsblackdogblue

I was born 9 months after the final & deemed a World Cup baby 😀😀

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 18:34 - Jul 8 with 2927 viewsArthurDaley

Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 12:10 - Jul 8 by mingthemerciless

I was 17 and playing good standard amateur football for TBA. I watched it on my own at home, my dad had no interest in football so mum and dad had gone out shopping. I’d seen Germany batter Switzerland early on so me and a pal had lumped on Germany at 10 to 1. I couldn’t see anybody beating them. This was before England got their act together. So I was in a win win situation.

The Saturday night after the game was just like any other Saturday night, nobody was going ape shit, throwing pints around etc. We met at the “ Temp “ around 7-00 , some guys played snooker, I read the” Pink “ from cover to cover. When we’d all arrived it was the usual Saturday night pub crawl. “ The Star”, “ Swan With Two Necks “, “ Navigation “ , Citizen “ etc finishing off in the “ Old Clock Face “. Last bus home at 11-05. The town would be deserted by 11-15, just the odd copper walking around.

I was thinking the other day why people back then just took it all in their stride. For one thing pubs were shut on Saturday afternoons so no mass gatherings. Nearly everybody would have watched the game at home. Not many people drank at home then either. At night the pubs shut at 11-00 so that was that, time to go home. I also think people were expecting to win it next time, we were a good team by the end of the comp.

“ Diddy Dave “ who posts on here mentioned he actually went to the final a while ago. No doubt he’ll chime in at some point.

The Saturday night after the game was just like any other Saturday night, nobody was going ape shit, throwing pints around etc. We met at the “ Temp “ around 7-00 , some guys played snooker, I read the” Pink “ from cover to cover. When we’d all arrived it was the usual Saturday night pub crawl. “ The Star”, “ Swan With Two Necks “, “ Navigation “ , Citizen “ etc finishing off in the “ Old Clock Face “. Last bus home.

Exactly how i remember it Ming, Watched it in B/W then at night around Rochdale. Thought there would be some celebration but no very quiet.

And lucky DiddyDave back in the day we went to United together, DD and his mate Colin got tickets for some of the games, then won tickets for the final. And me i didnt bother about the opening games as i was trying to save up for a holiday.

A large VAT Dave

Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 19:41 - Jul 8 with 2873 viewssince58

I was twelve we watched the game on tv.
After the game me and my mates met up on stoneyfield and played the game over. I remember later on my mum and dad came back from the weavers arms with some friends and a crate of beer and celebrated a glorious day.
Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 20:42 - Jul 8 with 2835 viewspioneer

Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 13:22 - Jul 8 by DiddyDave

I watched it in colour!!

As John Motson might have said. for those watching in black and white England are the team in red.
Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 21:02 - Jul 8 with 2813 viewsdavidab2202

Still wonder all these years later why I as a Football Nut all my life should choose those two weeks in July 1966 to be on holiday. Perhaps it was a case of being told that was when I had to take my holidays as a young 18 year old in an office environment
My recollection is driving back from the Isle of Wight with a trannie radio balanced on the top of the back seat of a "cut off windowed Ford Anglia--no parcel shelf !!! trying to get a good enough reception to listen to the game.
Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 21:25 - Jul 8 with 2777 viewsmingthemerciless

Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 18:34 - Jul 8 by ArthurDaley

The Saturday night after the game was just like any other Saturday night, nobody was going ape shit, throwing pints around etc. We met at the “ Temp “ around 7-00 , some guys played snooker, I read the” Pink “ from cover to cover. When we’d all arrived it was the usual Saturday night pub crawl. “ The Star”, “ Swan With Two Necks “, “ Navigation “ , Citizen “ etc finishing off in the “ Old Clock Face “. Last bus home.

Exactly how i remember it Ming, Watched it in B/W then at night around Rochdale. Thought there would be some celebration but no very quiet.

And lucky DiddyDave back in the day we went to United together, DD and his mate Colin got tickets for some of the games, then won tickets for the final. And me i didnt bother about the opening games as i was trying to save up for a holiday.

I could have gone to Bulgaria v Hungary at Old Trafford but I chose not to go. I did go to Brazil v Hungary, hoping to see Pele, but he didn’t play.
Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 22:11 - Jul 8 with 2740 viewsDiddyDave

You could get a 3, 4, 7 or 10 ticket deal,the 7 and 10 ticket ones guaranteeing the final. I only got a 3 ticket one for Old Trafford cos I only wanted to see Brazil who were in the group alongside Hungary, Portugal and another European team that I can`t recall. But Brazil played all their games at Goodison, so I gave my tickets to a mate and went to Butlins at Pwllelli with the lads. I got home the day England beat the Argies, mum said there was a letter for me and it basically said because I`d already bought tickets I`d been drawn to go to the final the following Saturday and if I wanted to go, send a ten bob postal order before Wednesday. My mate Colin also got the same letter, so we ummed and aghed about it, thought bugger it, we ain`t doing owt so might as well. Of course we didn`t know who would be in the final cos the semis were on during the week, England v Portugal and West Germany v Russia. The tickets arrived on the Wednesday and the rest is history. Glad we went now, but it really was a toss of the coin decision.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024