Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It's the hope 23:17 - Jul 11 with 4160 viewsJames1980

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

It's the hope on 23:18 - Jul 11 with 3239 viewsShun

Heartbreaking.
It's the hope on 23:27 - Jul 11 with 3174 viewslove_the_dale

Italy the better team, but 3 stuttering run ups and 3 saves/misses :)
[Post edited 11 Jul 2021 23:27]
It's the hope on 23:28 - Jul 11 with 3147 viewsnordenblue

It's the hope on 23:27 - Jul 11 by love_the_dale

Italy the better team, but 3 stuttering run ups and 3 saves/misses :)
[Post edited 11 Jul 2021 23:27]

Fook knows what them stupid cocky runs up are all about but you don't half look a tit when you don't score after it..
The right team won over the 90 mins so fair play to Italy, not sure what he's thinking with the subs during the game though
It's the hope on 23:30 - Jul 11 with 3141 viewsSuddenLad

I hope that's the last time we see the idiotic shuffling of feet in the run up to a penalty. I feel gutted for the players who missed, and applaud them stepping up to take one, but it's surely better to do what Kane and Maguire did and put your foot through it. Especially with a keeper that fills half the goal.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

It's the hope on 23:36 - Jul 11 with 3103 viewsYorkshire_Dale

But Garry Southgate looks a clown for bringing on the "shufflers" with 2 mins to go and nowhere near up to speed......looks like his Knighthood is on hold.
It's the hope on 23:37 - Jul 11 with 3111 viewsSandyman

Those United players were brought on to do a specific job. The Paul Pogba ManUre school of penalty dancing cost us tonight.
It's the hope on 23:43 - Jul 11 with 3067 viewsD_Alien

What i don't want to be hearing about is Saka not converting a penalty like we're still hearing about Southgate 25 years later

The tournament was won by the best team overall

I'm gutted we didn't finish as winners but there's a lot of positives to take forward and the players who'll still be with us in the next few tournaments will have this experience to take with them

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

It's the hope on 23:55 - Jul 11 with 3038 viewsShun

It's the hope on 23:37 - Jul 11 by Sandyman

Those United players were brought on to do a specific job. The Paul Pogba ManUre school of penalty dancing cost us tonight.

Strange take. Southgate is the one who brought them on so late. By all means bring players on specifically for penalties, but they need a good ten minutes to acclimatise to the game. Hats off to ‘those United players’ (and that Arsenal player!) for having the courage to take a penalty (at ages 19, 20 and 23) when more senior players didn’t back themselves.

Brilliant tournament overall. The best two teams were in the final and the best team won.
Login to get fewer ads

It's the hope on 00:16 - Jul 12 with 2987 views49thseason

I hope Jack Grealish gives Southgate the big FO in future. I cant imagine how Mount gets in the team ahead of him and how Henderson was ever going to affect the game when the last thing needed was another negative player. Its not as if they were playing for an away point. Its cup football its win or bust.. send for Jordan Henderson! Oh my aching sides.
It's the hope on 00:21 - Jul 12 with 2966 viewsDaleFan7

Was like watching us for the last 4 seasons.

Get ahead early and put 11 men behind the ball against a better team and expecting something good to happen. They were poor tonight.

The less said about them penalty run ups the better. They should be banned.
It's the hope on 06:17 - Jul 12 with 2843 viewsdavidab2202

It's the hope on 23:55 - Jul 11 by Shun

Strange take. Southgate is the one who brought them on so late. By all means bring players on specifically for penalties, but they need a good ten minutes to acclimatise to the game. Hats off to ‘those United players’ (and that Arsenal player!) for having the courage to take a penalty (at ages 19, 20 and 23) when more senior players didn’t back themselves.

Brilliant tournament overall. The best two teams were in the final and the best team won.

Agree 10minutes would have been better but by doing that the game may have been lost in Extra Time when replacing more defensive players with 2 out and out attackers,
It's the hope on 07:45 - Jul 12 with 2736 viewsBigDaveMyCock

It's the hope on 00:21 - Jul 12 by DaleFan7

Was like watching us for the last 4 seasons.

Get ahead early and put 11 men behind the ball against a better team and expecting something good to happen. They were poor tonight.

The less said about them penalty run ups the better. They should be banned.

We got to our first final in 55 years and narrowly lost it. It was absolutely nothing like watching Dale over the last four years.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

It's the hope on 09:48 - Jul 12 with 2602 viewsmikehunt

For me the anonymity of Kane was,again, a factor.
Sterling, great skills, but hanging on to the ball too long. Someone should be tracking him for an easy lay off when he runs in to a crowd of defenders.
And sadly, Saka looked like rabbit in headlights all game. The final was too much too soon for him.
So nearly for us. If our youngsters keep focussed and developing we might just have the wherewithal to finally accomplish something next time out.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

It's the hope on 11:40 - Jul 12 with 2420 viewsYorkshire_Dale

It's the hope on 00:16 - Jul 12 by 49thseason

I hope Jack Grealish gives Southgate the big FO in future. I cant imagine how Mount gets in the team ahead of him and how Henderson was ever going to affect the game when the last thing needed was another negative player. Its not as if they were playing for an away point. Its cup football its win or bust.. send for Jordan Henderson! Oh my aching sides.

Apparently Jack G offered to take a penalty but Garry Southgate thought better
It's the hope on 11:55 - Jul 12 with 2394 viewswatford_dale

It's the hope on 09:48 - Jul 12 by mikehunt

Sterling, great skills, but hanging on to the ball too long. Someone should be tracking him for an easy lay off when he runs in to a crowd of defenders.
And sadly, Saka looked like rabbit in headlights all game. The final was too much too soon for him.
So nearly for us. If our youngsters keep focussed and developing we might just have the wherewithal to finally accomplish something next time out.

Manager is clueless:
no plan B apart from throw Jack on and hope something happens.
waited far too long to make subs when Italy made theirs at half time and changed the game.
England team had been practising penalties all week, were they practising blindfolded?
Pickford, superb and all you can ask from your keeper is to save one or two in a penalty shoot out against a team that can take penalties.
team missing 60% of penalties, unacceptable but sympathy for Saka which will go out of the window if he starts doing pizza hut adverts.
Sterling has discovered the form which kept him out of the City side for 20 odd games. Would have preferred Sancho instead.
Kane is playing himself back into the Spurs side for life because no-one is going to pony up with £150m after that performance.
It's the hope on 11:57 - Jul 12 with 2382 viewsYorkshire_Dale

It's the hope on 09:48 - Jul 12 by mikehunt

Saka's performance should have been enough for Southgate to see he was out of his depth.

Kane also was indeed missing most of the game and Cheillini had him in his pocket.He did n't have a single effort on goal but did take his penalty like a boss.
It's the hope on 12:45 - Jul 12 with 2320 viewsTVOS1907

It's the hope on 11:40 - Jul 12 by Yorkshire_Dale

Apparently Jack G offered to take a penalty but Garry Southgate thought better

Is there an actual reason you're calling him Garry?

Presumably he would still have been called Gareth if we had won.

Then again, probably not, thinking about it.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

It's the hope on 13:00 - Jul 12 with 2275 viewsCedar_Room

Southgate has taken a lot of plaudits for getting team selection/substitutes right so he has to take the flak for getting it wrong this time. None of the subs worked - Henderson absolutely not the man to bring on when you need to put Italy on the back foot - it was crying out for one of our attacking players who will create some chances. When they did come on - Saka and Grealish - they didn't have enough time and rarely saw the ball. The subs of Sancho and Rashford specifically brought on for taking pens also has to be seen as a failure.
Instead of trying to copy what has worked for other teams in the past - why isn't he playing to OUR strengths which is an abundance of quick, technical, attacking talent. We offered very little especially after HT when it was always looking like one winner.
No blame for the lads who took the pens - Southgate said he picked the ones who had been taking them best in training. Clearly the big factor you cannot train for is the pressure of that moment. But surely, SURELY, they should be practicing putting them into the top corners so that the keeper is taken out of the equation and it just comes down to your own accuracy.
My only hope is now we go into the World Cup next year with extra determination to go one better. Most of these players will be around still, more experienced and hopefully better placed to go one better. But it will also mean Southgate changing his approach which has been too often to sit back and not go for it. Best form of defence is attack etc.
It's the hope on 13:21 - Jul 12 with 2221 viewsfinberty

The lack of any change in the second half in response to Mancini's changes was a throwback to the World Cup, sadly.

With significant speedsters on the bench, they should have been allowed to give Chiellini and Bonucci the run-around leading to the inevitable fouls. Not to be - we went with Kane, who barely touched the ball in the second half, although doubtless will be commended for keeping their CBs quiet....one of whom scored, of course.

The biggest sadness for me, (apart from the dismal behaviour outside and on social media, for which I hope investigation/prosecution will follow) is the fact the result did not set the team apart from earlier generations. In particular the 'golden generation', who continue to grace broadcast media with their opinions, safe in the knowledge that their own legacy of failure has not been held up to rightful harsh judgement.

Fine margins, but will England ever have a better chance than this year of winning anything?
It's the hope on 13:35 - Jul 12 with 2179 viewsNigeriamark

It's the hope on 13:21 - Jul 12 by finberty

The lack of any change in the second half in response to Mancini's changes was a throwback to the World Cup, sadly.

With significant speedsters on the bench, they should have been allowed to give Chiellini and Bonucci the run-around leading to the inevitable fouls. Not to be - we went with Kane, who barely touched the ball in the second half, although doubtless will be commended for keeping their CBs quiet....one of whom scored, of course.

The biggest sadness for me, (apart from the dismal behaviour outside and on social media, for which I hope investigation/prosecution will follow) is the fact the result did not set the team apart from earlier generations. In particular the 'golden generation', who continue to grace broadcast media with their opinions, safe in the knowledge that their own legacy of failure has not been held up to rightful harsh judgement.

Fine margins, but will England ever have a better chance than this year of winning anything?

Southgate has taken us forward & deserves a lot of credit for developing this team. Unfortunately his conservative approach took over at half time. We were the top team in the first 45 minutes & he had the decision to stick or twist. He decided to stick & hope we could see out the 1-0 win instead of taking it on to get a decider. With the talent we have going forward we should have given them more to worry about
It's the hope on 13:54 - Jul 12 with 2133 viewsjonahwhereru

It's the hope on 11:55 - Jul 12 by watford_dale

Manager is clueless:
no plan B apart from throw Jack on and hope something happens.
waited far too long to make subs when Italy made theirs at half time and changed the game.
England team had been practising penalties all week, were they practising blindfolded?
Pickford, superb and all you can ask from your keeper is to save one or two in a penalty shoot out against a team that can take penalties.
team missing 60% of penalties, unacceptable but sympathy for Saka which will go out of the window if he starts doing pizza hut adverts.
Sterling has discovered the form which kept him out of the City side for 20 odd games. Would have preferred Sancho instead.
Kane is playing himself back into the Spurs side for life because no-one is going to pony up with £150m after that performance.

Talk about differing opinions. The only element I could agree with was the comment about Pickford.
Southgate went plan be before a ball was kicked by selecting Tripper. Italy had to play catch up and were forced into the first tactical change. Kane was integral to opening up space in the first half and caused havoc in the less obvious parts of the field, see the goal.
As you would expect Italy were able to nuance the formation and the did that better than us. However we held shape so well but needed to be a few yards higher up the pitch. The substitution for Saka was the right one, to push us up the pitch. Don’t think Declan Rice’s race had been completely run when he came of, but he had a bigger positive impact than anyone else, great game. Could see an argument for Bellingham ahead of Henderson. But an 18 year old instead of a veteran at the stage would be a big shout.
If Southgate had dropped Sterling that would have been a very ballsy call.
We have been to a major championship and not got beat in any game time. Fantastic effort.
We are getting closer each tournament. With Rice And Phillips in midfield we can now go deep into any competition.
Thanks lads, proud.
It's the hope on 14:19 - Jul 12 with 2062 viewsdingdangblue

VAR has been superb in this Euros - not really holding games up for minutes on end like in the Premier League...but how it failed to give Jorginho a red card for the stamp on Grealish's knee in extra time is unfathomable.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

It's the hope on 14:26 - Jul 12 with 2042 viewsJames1980

Said in the pub last night it was unfair to bring on Rashford and Sancho so close to the end of extra time.

Not sure if the stuttering run ups are due to over confidence or superstition. Perhaps they are more successful when taking penalties in training using that method.

I know it didn't happen but had the penalties gone to sudden death. I would rather the likes of Sterling and Grealish been available to take one.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

It's the hope on 14:39 - Jul 12 with 2015 views49thseason

How to score penalties and how to save them - statistical analysis of the world and euro penalty shoot outs:
https://www.thestatszone.com/archive/statistical-insight-into-penalty-shootouts-
It's the hope on 16:03 - Jul 12 with 1930 viewsZac_B

It's the hope on 00:16 - Jul 12 by 49thseason

Jordan Henderson who has recently captained a team to Champions League and Premier League wins? What makes him a negative player?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024