Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lest We Forget. Thanks for the memories 21:20 - Aug 31 with 2673 viewsSuddenLad

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Lest We Forget. Thanks for the memories on 22:00 - Aug 31 with 2523 viewsEllDale

Brought tears to my eyes.
Tremendous tribute.
Lest We Forget. Thanks for the memories on 06:28 - Sep 1 with 2173 viewspioneer

Lest We Forget. Thanks for the memories on 22:00 - Aug 31 by EllDale

Brought tears to my eyes.
Tremendous tribute.

Yes indeed.

Interesting how so many were what you might call 'premature' deaths (pretty young by todays standards). It was running a bit quick for me and my mental arithmetic and its early in the morning but I estimated something like only 12 of 39 on the video were 75 or in their 75th year or older when they passed away. Maybe its the younger deaths that attract more attention or that we are focussing on deaths among more recent squads (folks born 1946 or later so appearing for Dale early 1960s or later).

Just a quick look at some of the greats from our early days, Whitehurst, Parkes, Moody reached late 70s, 80s. But that is not a random selection. Probably reading far too much into this.
Lest We Forget. Thanks for the memories on 07:10 - Sep 1 with 2127 viewspioneer

A quick check on the 1968-9 promotion team

Of the 15 players who made at least 10 appearances:

I have 6 confirmed as passed away, of which 3 died before 75 (Vince Radcliffe, Joe Ashworth and Reg Jenkins)

I have 9 as far as I can tell are still living - only three still to reach 75 (Norman Whitehead, 73, Derek Ryder, 74 and Joe Fletcher, 74).

Should those 3 keep going another year to 18 months , that would mean 80% of that team will live to be 75 or older.

Given that life expectancy at birth for males born in 1945 in UK was 72 - this was/is a long lived group.

OK - I have too much time on my hands!
Lest We Forget. Thanks for the memories on 07:27 - Sep 1 with 2113 viewsAlexF

Fantastic tribute. What happened to Joe Richardson (1:52) died at the age of 24? Just before my time in 1966.
Lest We Forget. Thanks for the memories on 07:52 - Sep 1 with 2090 viewselectricblue

Wonderful video......

I didnt know that Paul Ware had passed away such a young age aswell..

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Lest We Forget. Thanks for the memories on 08:58 - Sep 1 with 2034 viewsSuddenLad

Lest We Forget. Thanks for the memories on 07:27 - Sep 1 by AlexF

Fantastic tribute. What happened to Joe Richardson (1:52) died at the age of 24? Just before my time in 1966.

Joe was killed in a road traffic accident over Haslingden way.

Lest We Forget. Thanks for the memories on 10:39 - Sep 1 with 1938 views49thseason

Lest We Forget. Thanks for the memories on 08:58 - Sep 1 by SuddenLad

Joe was killed in a road traffic accident over Haslingden way.

My recollection is that he was crushed by a reversing lorry in the yard of a company he was working for. I think it went to court eventually but I dont recall the outcome.
Lest We Forget. Thanks for the memories on 10:45 - Sep 1 with 1926 viewsSuddenLad

Lest We Forget. Thanks for the memories on 10:39 - Sep 1 by 49thseason

My recollection is that he was crushed by a reversing lorry in the yard of a company he was working for. I think it went to court eventually but I dont recall the outcome.

Could well be correct. It definitely involved a 'lorry' as the reference I found had reported. Exact circumstances weren't described.

Login to get fewer ads

Lest We Forget. Thanks for the memories on 11:25 - Sep 1 with 1851 viewsDiddyDave

Chris Shyne was a good mate of mine, smashing lad, always had a smile on his face. I loved watching him play for Sacred Heart with another good mate, Johnny Taylor. So sad that Chris died young (54?), I`m sure a lot of us knew Chris and I`m sure they will endorse my words.
Lest We Forget. Thanks for the memories on 16:26 - Sep 1 with 1656 viewsjudd

Lest We Forget. Thanks for the memories on 11:25 - Sep 1 by DiddyDave

Chris Shyne was a good mate of mine, smashing lad, always had a smile on his face. I loved watching him play for Sacred Heart with another good mate, Johnny Taylor. So sad that Chris died young (54?), I`m sure a lot of us knew Chris and I`m sure they will endorse my words.

Absolutely lovely bloke was Chris. Managed to play against him once and what a superb goalie he was, it that I troubled him.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Lest We Forget. Thanks for the memories on 18:30 - Sep 1 with 1564 viewsEllDale

I was in the same year at school as his sister and remember him playing school football for St Joseph’s where you could tell what a class keeper he was even then.
Followed his career with interest after that and used to enjoy seeing him on Sunday mornings at places like Springfield Park.
Lest We Forget. Thanks for the memories on 21:10 - Sep 1 with 1428 viewsmingthemerciless

Chris Shyne was a smashing lad, he saved a penalty off me once and he always brought it up when I bumped into him in town. He was a really big Northern Soul fan. He was always smiling whenever I saw him. Gone way too soon.
Lest We Forget. Thanks for the memories on 21:13 - Sep 1 with 1421 viewsjudd

Lest We Forget. Thanks for the memories on 21:10 - Sep 1 by mingthemerciless

Chris Shyne was a smashing lad, he saved a penalty off me once and he always brought it up when I bumped into him in town. He was a really big Northern Soul fan. He was always smiling whenever I saw him. Gone way too soon.

Yes, loved his northern soul. Felt honoured to be invited to his 50th.

Poll: What is it to be then?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024