Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who remembers Dale v Villa 1972 12:40 - Nov 20 with 3301 viewsJames1980

Lots of Villa fans in the train I'm on, I see the last time we played them was a 1-0 home win back in 1972 https://www.11v11.com/teams/rochdale/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Aston%20Villa/ Who was there and what do you recall about the game.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Who remembers Dale v Villa 1972 on 13:05 - Nov 20 with 3245 viewsHuddersdale1

It was a surprise win, remember Andy Lochhead and Charlie Aitkin playing for Villa, also Jim Coombes in goal, don't remember much about the game or in fact who scored our goal. Quite a bit of trouble before kick off, remember Villa skinheads being hauled out of the ground.
Who remembers Dale v Villa 1972 on 13:06 - Nov 20 with 3243 viewsSheffdale

Well I was there James. I recall a few of us following Willie Anderson up and down the touchline shouting that he was a United reject. Must have put him off his game! Villa's team that day had some good players - the trio of Scots for starters Lochhead, Aitken and Rioch - so a very good win. I also went to Villa Park for one of the other matches around that time. A friend had recently passed his driving test and that opened up a whole new world. Time on the ancient red mini was eventually called when someone pulled out into us from Queens Park Road on our trip to school.
Who remembers Dale v Villa 1972 on 13:27 - Nov 20 with 3169 viewsEllDale

It was a real coupon buster.
Villa were going really well at the time with a really experienced team.
We’d already lost at Villa Park on August Bank Holiday Monday.
Norman Whitehead scored the winner from the penalty spot but the standout player for me was Arthur Marsh. We’d just signed him and he had his hands full with Lochhead but won that personal battle.
Who remembers Dale v Villa 1972 on 13:31 - Nov 20 with 3161 viewsAndyH

I went through the Sandy Lane turnstile to a mass of shaved heads, crombie overcoats, Dr. Marten boots, red handkerchiefs and black gloves.

I walked around to the Pearl St end where Moggy was planning another suicide mission.

Can't remember much of the game tbh as I was busy planning how to keep alive.
Who remembers Dale v Villa 1972 on 13:33 - Nov 20 with 3149 viewsD_Alien

Dale's win against Villa has been posted about repeatedly on here, even within the last few months

Whitehead penalty won it after we'd been battered for most of the game with our keeper Tony Godfrey having the game of his life

The last discussion centred around whether Whitehead should've even been taking the spotkick after he'd missed his previous one, with our usual taker (big Reg) not available

Villa went on to win the old Div 3 by a mile

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Who remembers Dale v Villa 1972 on 13:41 - Nov 20 with 3118 viewsD_Alien

Who remembers Dale v Villa 1972 on 13:31 - Nov 20 by AndyH

I went through the Sandy Lane turnstile to a mass of shaved heads, crombie overcoats, Dr. Marten boots, red handkerchiefs and black gloves.

I walked around to the Pearl St end where Moggy was planning another suicide mission.

Can't remember much of the game tbh as I was busy planning how to keep alive.

But we still changed ends at half time, brushing past the Villa hordes coming the other way

And well pissed off they were at the final whistle. so a very quick exit

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Who remembers Dale v Villa 1972 on 13:48 - Nov 20 with 3100 viewsEllDale

I wasn’t exactly scared but I remember watching much of the game from the safety of the hill which existed at the time between the Pearl Street end and the Main Stand.
It was normally the preserve of the older generation who slightly resented our presence!
Who remembers Dale v Villa 1972 on 14:02 - Nov 20 with 3066 views100569

Was that the same season that all the Luton skinheads turned up in there droves ? Another frightening experience. I remember it was either the Luton game or the Villa game that they took all the traditional " bobbies " out of the Sandy Lane and they were replaced by a load of motorcycle police with there crash helmets on. In those days of course the police didn`t have riot gear !
Login to get fewer ads

Who remembers Dale v Villa 1972 on 14:21 - Nov 20 with 3029 viewsseasidedale

From what I remember, we were battered Tony Godfrey was not out of this world, he was f#@&*&g out of this world, we had one attack (only one in the entire game), whitehead ran down the wing, was fouled took penalty scored, can’t remember time of goal, but was a big shock at the time
Who remembers Dale v Villa 1972 on 14:59 - Nov 20 with 2942 viewsdawlishdale

I was there, but only have vague memories of them battering us throughout the game. Only for us to win it against the run of play. Arthur Marsh was a proper old fashioned centre half . Signed from Bolton. He could head the ball further than most players could kick it.

Pretty sure the Luton game was earlier...and the first time I'd seen such violence in the sandy. Very scary for a youngster.
Who remembers Dale v Villa 1972 on 18:21 - Nov 20 with 2777 viewsmingthemerciless

I was there as well. Can’t remember much about it now apart from the Whitehead penalty.
Who remembers Dale v Villa 1972 on 19:02 - Nov 20 with 2720 viewspioneer

Who remembers Dale v Villa 1972 on 13:33 - Nov 20 by D_Alien

Dale's win against Villa has been posted about repeatedly on here, even within the last few months

Whitehead penalty won it after we'd been battered for most of the game with our keeper Tony Godfrey having the game of his life

The last discussion centred around whether Whitehead should've even been taking the spotkick after he'd missed his previous one, with our usual taker (big Reg) not available

Villa went on to win the old Div 3 by a mile

Yes, Godfrey was out of this world that game. One way traffic all game.

We took a point off them in the corresponding home game the previous season so Villa have never won at Spotland…..not sure how many other teams they are winless against away from home.
Who remembers Dale v Villa 1972 on 19:15 - Nov 20 with 2692 viewsdalefertcup2

Who remembers Dale v Villa 1972 on 18:21 - Nov 20 by mingthemerciless

I was there as well. Can’t remember much about it now apart from the Whitehead penalty.

Ditto
Who remembers Dale v Villa 1972 on 19:38 - Nov 20 with 2648 viewsdogboy

'Chico Chico' remember the Villa chants for Chico Hamilton and Andy Lockhead not scoring
Who remembers Dale v Villa 1972 on 19:45 - Nov 20 with 2630 viewsEllDale

I have it in my head that the Luton skinheads arrived en masse for the final game of the 1969/70 season?
They’d already clinched promotion, the original game earlier in the season had been abandoned due to a blizzard?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024