Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
NFR: Mike Ratu - RIP 18:00 - Dec 29 with 3324 viewsRAFCBLUE

Very sorry to learn of the passing of former Hornets player Mike Ratu.

For those familiar with the town for many years, Mike built a strong relationship between the Pacific nation of Fiji and Rochdale, alongside son and former player Emon Ratu.

Condolences to family and friends.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

NFR: Mike Ratu - RIP on 18:03 - Dec 29 with 3298 viewsjudd

Very sorry to hear this.

RIP

Poll: What is it to be then?

NFR: Mike Ratu - RIP on 18:21 - Dec 29 with 3242 viewsSuddenLad

Mike was a great bloke and a fine rugby player. He was a stalwart of Hornets, a local licensee and a sporting ambassador to his home land of Fiji. He made many friends and has done a fantastic job in the community of Rochdale and beyond.

R.I.P. Mike. Condolences to family and friends.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

NFR: Mike Ratu - RIP on 18:58 - Dec 29 with 3138 viewsEllDale

Lovely man who, whilst being so well respected in his adopted town, was still fervently patriotic.
Couldn’t visualise him as a paratrooper in the Fijian army but that was his profession when he signed for Hornets.
When I first met him in the 1960s he, like the other Fijian lads, was working at a mill on Crawford Street and they could be seen walking to and from there along Oldham Road.
He was later a popular publican at the Travellers Rest in the bus station and the Trafalgar.
Wife Anne was a respected social worker as well.
His son and grandson both played for Hornets.
All in all he’ll be missed immensely.
RIP mate.
NFR: Mike Ratu - RIP on 20:10 - Dec 29 with 3018 viewsThreeLions

RIP Mike and condolences to the Ratu family.
NFR: Mike Ratu - RIP on 21:00 - Dec 29 with 2928 viewsdownunder

Sad news indeed. He was a true gentleman. He assisted my Father in Law with setting up East Ward Rugby. Also had many links to Rochdalians RUFC, who often hosted the Fijian ex-pat rugby team. RIP Mike, I hope restrictions over there allow a full Fijian paying of respects.
EDIT.
Brian Belfield died as well. Also connected to both Hornets and Rochdalians/LittleboroughRUFC
[Post edited 30 Dec 2021 19:15]
NFR: Mike Ratu - RIP on 22:39 - Dec 29 with 2795 viewsShun

Very sad. I used to know Mika well and he was a true gentleman.
NFR: Mike Ratu - RIP on 12:36 - Dec 30 with 2499 views1mark1

Deepest condolences to all of his family and friends. A true legend of Rochdale sport, and the pub trade.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

NFR: Mike Ratu - RIP on 12:34 - Jan 4 with 1862 viewsD_Alien

Just found this via Rochdale Online:

In the article, the question is posed "Why Rochdale?"

https://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/122/notices/144336/obituary-micha

We've heard that asked recently in a very different context, so good see it in a more positive context. Never met Mike but saw him play a couple of times. RIP

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024