Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Downing 15:55 - Jan 12 with 3873 viewsIOMDale

New centre back incoming on loan? You've got to assume somebody is off as that'd leave us with six senior CBs (EOC, Jim, Graham, Taylor, Dorsett and Downing):

UTDNFS

Paul Downing on 15:58 - Jan 12 with 3841 viewsboromat

Snap 😂

Just posted this in the January Transfer Window thread

Looks like a good signing on paper played most of his football in League One and an experienced player.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Paul Downing on 16:04 - Jan 12 with 3793 viewsBrierls

I'd be surprised at this one. Not because I'd not want a good centre back, but because he's reported to be a high earner.

I read last week about Doncaster fancying a return for both Marquis and Downing, with both being tricky financially ( https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/doncaster-transfer-downing-john-ma

If the likes of Pompey and Doncaster consider him a high earner, we must be paying 25% of his wages!
[Post edited 12 Jan 2022 16:12]
Paul Downing on 16:21 - Jan 12 with 3659 viewsKnowlesy

If this comes off you've got to assume that O'Connell is off. I'm gonna get a lot of stick for this probably, but I'll take it, I think it's definitely the right time to move him on. His performances recently have been a bit impetuous and his body language and some of the things he's done on the pitch makes it seem like he thinks he's way above the club. Piledriving free kicks over the stand from 40 yards out etc, and a lot of moaning.

If we can move him on and get a good solid defender in the meantime to plug the gap, it'll give us a cash injection to make replacements/improvements elsewhere whilst still having a good player alongside the younger lads at the back.
Paul Downing on 16:35 - Jan 12 with 3577 viewsseasidedale

Could be thinking of using O’Connell in central midfield in place of Morley, and getting downing to play in cab role
Paul Downing on 16:38 - Jan 12 with 3554 viewsD_Dale

Paul Downing on 15:58 - Jan 12 by boromat

Snap 😂

Just posted this in the January Transfer Window thread

Looks like a good signing on paper played most of his football in League One and an experienced player.

But not a lot of League 1 experience this season apparently: one appearance, last September, subbed after 67 minutes.

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=51497
Paul Downing on 16:41 - Jan 12 with 3510 viewsBrierls

I'm not convinced signing Downing on loan would mean EOC leaving this month. RS has never been happy with the amount of goals we are conceding, and losing goals at the other end has probably intensified his wish to be better defensively.

EOC is first choice, obviously, despite a downturn in form
Jim is predominantly a coach now, and had mistakes in him in his peak!
Graham has been very poor and needs to go find his confidence
Taylor has potential but you can see RS isn't entirely convinced yet
Dorsett started well, had a dodgy patch, but of late has been very good
Paul Downing on 16:59 - Jan 12 with 3360 viewselectricblue

Back three three of Taylor, Downing, Dorsett.
Looks solid enough......

Many of us have been expecting O'Connell to move on for a while and maybe he is...

What fee would anybody expect for him.....£400k!

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Paul Downing on 17:07 - Jan 12 with 3300 viewsdavidab2202

Paul Downing on 16:59 - Jan 12 by electricblue

Back three three of Taylor, Downing, Dorsett.
Looks solid enough......

Many of us have been expecting O'Connell to move on for a while and maybe he is...

What fee would anybody expect for him.....£400k!

In view of the fact that he is out of contract at the of the season, feel that in answer to your suggestion of a fee would have to be "dream on "
Login to get fewer ads

Paul Downing on 17:12 - Jan 12 with 3264 viewsDale92

Worth noting his dad is Keith Downing, worked at West Brom for years probably has a connection to Shan somewhere down the line. id prefer a striker as tis makes me thing EOC is on his way out so probably taking over his wages, id guess

This is the One, I've waited for

Paul Downing on 17:19 - Jan 12 with 3207 viewsBrierls

If this is the first January window signing announced, lets not be dickheads about it just because he's not a striker.

Looks like he'd be a very solid signing if he's fit and an improvement on what we've got.
Paul Downing on 17:20 - Jan 12 with 3202 viewsboromat

Paul Downing on 16:21 - Jan 12 by Knowlesy

If this comes off you've got to assume that O'Connell is off. I'm gonna get a lot of stick for this probably, but I'll take it, I think it's definitely the right time to move him on. His performances recently have been a bit impetuous and his body language and some of the things he's done on the pitch makes it seem like he thinks he's way above the club. Piledriving free kicks over the stand from 40 yards out etc, and a lot of moaning.

If we can move him on and get a good solid defender in the meantime to plug the gap, it'll give us a cash injection to make replacements/improvements elsewhere whilst still having a good player alongside the younger lads at the back.

Don't disagree with your comments about O'Connells performances. Definitely been frustrated and it's affected his game. Reminds me of a few Man U players at the minute.

Don't necessarily think he's off quite yet though. If we get Downing in it gives us a couple of options. One is to go to a back 2 and the other is to have O'Connell on the right hand side of a back 3 where he is more likely to be able to step out with the ball.

Hope we can sign Downing and keep O'Connell using the recent funds that have come in but we shall see. Without knowing too much about Downing I'd worry if O'Connell was to leave.

Paul Downing on 17:50 - Jan 12 with 3030 viewsboromat

Paul Downing on 18:39 - Jan 12 with 2770 viewsAtThePeake

Paul Downing on 16:41 - Jan 12 by Brierls

I'm not convinced signing Downing on loan would mean EOC leaving this month. RS has never been happy with the amount of goals we are conceding, and losing goals at the other end has probably intensified his wish to be better defensively.

EOC is first choice, obviously, despite a downturn in form
Jim is predominantly a coach now, and had mistakes in him in his peak!
Graham has been very poor and needs to go find his confidence
Taylor has potential but you can see RS isn't entirely convinced yet
Dorsett started well, had a dodgy patch, but of late has been very good

O'Connell is probably still our best player when he looks frustrated IMO. He's an absolute cut above at this level and although I won't pretend to know much about Downing, I'd be surprised if losing EOC and signing Downing would improve us given how good EOC has looked for the majority of the season, a few poor games aside.

Personally agree that this is in addition to EOC as Graham isn't up to it, Jim is on his last legs and like you say, RS doesn't seem to fancy Taylor just yet (and I have to say I'm far from convinced either, Exeter & Walsall matches aside I think his inexperience has really showed). Defensive improvements have been mooted for a while so I'm not sure why people seem to think this means EOC moving on.

Come the summer, I suspect he will leave, but given the fact he's available for a genuine free in the summer (rather than a compensation fee like Morley would've been), I'm not sure there will be a club that will feel it's worth paying the kind of fee that would make us think we can do without him for the rest of the season.

I like to think I'm relatively level-headed but even while understanding the need to sell, if someone told me after Newport that by the time we next played we'd have lost Morley, Beesley, O'Keeffe and O'Connell I'd have been very, very worried.

Tangled up in blue.

Paul Downing on 19:36 - Jan 12 with 2491 viewsblackdogblue

Paul Downing on 17:19 - Jan 12 by Brierls

If this is the first January window signing announced, lets not be dickheads about it just because he's not a striker.

Looks like he'd be a very solid signing if he's fit and an improvement on what we've got.

Ok point taken.. can he play left back? 🤣🤣

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Paul Downing on 19:40 - Jan 12 with 2465 viewsboromat

Paul Downing on 17:19 - Jan 12 by Brierls

We've been asking for an experienced centre back as well so I agree let's not throw our toys out the pram until we know how the whole window has panned out for us.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024