Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore 14:23 - Jan 23 with 11171 viewsLaveritty

Just a few days ago Elvis Costello very publicly asked DJs and radio stations to stop playing his song Oliver's Army because of its use of a certain well documented offensive word.

Whilst not wishing to get into a debate about the use of the word in question and its offensiveness I would simply like to ask why you then thought it would be appropriate to play the said song yesterday?

It was a staggeringly crass decision in my opinion!

Poll: Would you prefer relegation to happen…

Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 14:30 - Jan 23 with 5191 views1mark1

Absolutely, there are plenty of excellent alternative Elvis Costello songs to play, as well.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 14:46 - Jan 23 with 5131 viewsD_Alien

Could be mistaken, but i've not heard it played at the ground for a long while, therefore it was a deliberate and inflammatory act

A fan shouting the word would be banned. Given this context, plus previous remarks made by Sweetmore alluded to in another thread whereby similar remarks became the subject of a complaint by the Dale Board resulting in Andrew Curran being banned from football grounds, isn't it time the Board got him in for some serious questions?

[Post edited 23 Jan 2022 14:48]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 14:47 - Jan 23 with 5123 viewsrod_leach

I thought exactly the same at the time.
Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 14:59 - Jan 23 with 5049 viewskel

Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 14:46 - Jan 23 by D_Alien

Could be mistaken, but i've not heard it played at the ground for a long while, therefore it was a deliberate and inflammatory act

A fan shouting the word would be banned. Given this context, plus previous remarks made by Sweetmore alluded to in another thread whereby similar remarks became the subject of a complaint by the Dale Board resulting in Andrew Curran being banned from football grounds, isn't it time the Board got him in for some serious questions?

[Post edited 23 Jan 2022 14:48]

Doubt anything will be done. The bloke is coated in Teflon where the club in concerned.
Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 15:01 - Jan 23 with 5043 viewsD_Alien

Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 14:59 - Jan 23 by kel

Doubt anything will be done. The bloke is coated in Teflon where the club in concerned.

This club? Now? OUR club?

Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 15:07 - Jan 23 with 5006 viewskel

Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 15:01 - Jan 23 by D_Alien

This club? Now? OUR club?

Quite. I’m surprised some things have been left to continue, but I appreciate the board have more pressing matters at the moment.
Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 15:42 - Jan 23 with 4887 viewsTomRAFC

Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 15:07 - Jan 23 by kel

Quite. I’m surprised some things have been left to continue, but I appreciate the board have more pressing matters at the moment.

Very well put.

The original question deserves a specific answer but it is also an excellent example of one of the last culture changes needed at the club.

There are people who once came across well because they were familiar faces in the more fan oriented days of the club.

During times when the club was not run in the interests of the fans, some people have shown that wasn't necessarily the case.

The board have done a superb job and, once the bigger fish are fried, I have every faith that the board will address any internal affairs remaining.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2022 16:00]

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 15:54 - Jan 23 with 4822 viewsSuddenLad

I admit to having no prior knowledge of the controversy about the Costello record, before reading this thread, but I'm certain that Mr. Sweetmore would have been fully aware.

Only he will know whether it was a deliberately antagonistic act to play the track in question, but either way, he should be instructed to drop it from all future playlists at Spotland.

We have enough to deal with. We can do without any adverse publicity for this.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Login to get fewer ads

Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 17:23 - Jan 23 with 4581 viewsD_Alien

Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 15:54 - Jan 23 by SuddenLad

I admit to having no prior knowledge of the controversy about the Costello record, before reading this thread, but I'm certain that Mr. Sweetmore would have been fully aware.

Only he will know whether it was a deliberately antagonistic act to play the track in question, but either way, he should be instructed to drop it from all future playlists at Spotland.

We have enough to deal with. We can do without any adverse publicity for this.

Which is precisely why he needs to be taken into a room for a serious discussion. There's enough board members to do that without hindrance to other ongoing matters

If Sweetmore is conducting stadium tours, the club have a duty of care to the public to ensure they're not exposed to racist language which was blithely broadcast with deliberation on Saturday

Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 17:28 - Jan 23 with 4560 viewsBlueMessiah

Maybe this is something that Murray could raise with the board?
I was astounded when the song began having been aware of Costello’s recent request. I’d assumed it would be the edited version he was playing as used, up until recently, on the likes of BBC 6Music. I was appalled when it turned out to be the full blown original version.
Disgusting from Sweetmore but alas, not surprising.

Poll: Do I Know You?

Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 17:40 - Jan 23 with 4494 viewsnordenblue

Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 17:28 - Jan 23 by BlueMessiah

I was astounded when the song began having been aware of Costello’s recent request. I’d assumed it would be the edited version he was playing as used, up until recently, on the likes of BBC 6Music. I was appalled when it turned out to be the full blown original version.

Whilst not a fan of Sweetmore one bit, find him a totally plastic manc and he does get right on my nerves, I think the reactions a little ott to a song that's been played for decades seemingly without a problem. Granted things move on and opinions do change in time, but I'm not sure it warrants a public flogging though.
Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 17:49 - Jan 23 with 4457 viewsrochedale

Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 17:40 - Jan 23 by nordenblue

Whilst not a fan of Sweetmore one bit, find him a totally plastic manc and he does get right on my nerves, I think the reactions a little ott to a song that's been played for decades seemingly without a problem. Granted things move on and opinions do change in time, but I'm not sure it warrants a public flogging though.

I think the reactions towards DS are often completely over the top. Given that most visiting supporters generally complement our choice of music. It’s not his fault the PA system isn’t what it could be.

Maybe, just maybe, DS was unaware of EC request not to play said song, I certainly hadn’t heard it and watched an interview with him on Graham Norton (I think) t’other evening.

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 17:50 - Jan 23 with 4449 viewsD_Alien

Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 17:40 - Jan 23 by nordenblue

Correct

The flogging should be done in the privacy of the boardroom

Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 17:59 - Jan 23 with 4402 viewsZac_B

Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 17:49 - Jan 23 by rochedale

I think the reactions towards DS are often completely over the top. Given that most visiting supporters generally complement our choice of music. It’s not his fault the PA system isn’t what it could be.

Maybe, just maybe, DS was unaware of EC request not to play said song, I certainly hadn’t heard it and watched an interview with him on Graham Norton (I think) t’other evening.

Surely, as a DJ, it's your job to know this kind of thing?
Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 18:03 - Jan 23 with 4366 viewsR17ALE

As posted elsewhere....

The Cloughie legacy offered to pay for a new tannoy system to be installed, but when the club came back with a verbal quote of over £100,000 we declined!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 18:10 - Jan 23 with 4326 viewskel

To be fair, away supporters only have to put up with his shouting and music once a season.
Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 18:21 - Jan 23 with 4276 viewsrochedale

Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 17:59 - Jan 23 by Zac_B

40 years of royalties and now he requests it not to be played. Tells you as much as you need to know.

Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 18:32 - Jan 23 with 4219 viewsD_Alien

Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 18:21 - Jan 23 by rochedale

40 years of royalties and now he requests it not to be played. Tells you as much as you need to know.

The Rolling Stones (what's left of them) have cut Brown Sugar out of their playlist, but this isn't about the performers. Trying to turn it that way tells us all we need to know

Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 18:40 - Jan 23 with 4182 viewsrochedale

Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 18:32 - Jan 23 by D_Alien

The Rolling Stones (what's left of them) have cut Brown Sugar out of their playlist, but this isn't about the performers. Trying to turn it that way tells us all we need to know

I saw that too when I googled ‘Elvis Costello requesting Olivers Army not to be played’. I wonder if Dave plays Brown Sugar next week.

Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 18:44 - Jan 23 with 4166 viewsD_Alien

Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 18:40 - Jan 23 by rochedale

I saw that too when I googled ‘Elvis Costello requesting Olivers Army not to be played’. I wonder if Dave plays Brown Sugar next week.

Doubt it, but you could always ask him whilst you're sneaking around

(Psst... we're away next week)

[Post edited 23 Jan 2022 19:16]

Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 18:52 - Jan 23 with 4112 viewsRodingdale

Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 17:28 - Jan 23 by BlueMessiah

As mentioned elsewhere I’m neutral on the the topic of Dave apart from the shouting. Why ears being hammered by 83decibels did note when Oliver’s Army sparked up, I’d have mentioned it to the person next to me if I’d thought they might have been hear me. I struggled on through the white noise and was surprised it was indeed the old version. I’d not heard what EC had said recently - it was more an instinct. I winced when we got to that part of the track.

Someone is saying it costs £100k to turn a volume knob down. Eh?
Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 18:57 - Jan 23 with 4087 viewsdiver

The word refers to Irish Catholic’s used during the Northern Ireland troubles and has nothing to do with current racism
Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 18:58 - Jan 23 with 4069 views49thseason

Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 18:03 - Jan 23 by R17ALE

As posted elsewhere....

The Cloughie legacy offered to pay for a new tannoy system to be installed, but when the club came back with a verbal quote of over £100,000 we declined!

Was this pre or post Bottomley, given his apparent ability to spend £50k on hand sanitiser and a few stickers £100k seems quite cheap!...?
Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 19:38 - Jan 23 with 3921 viewsDorkingDale

Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 17:59 - Jan 23 by Zac_B

Hopefully his days are numbered now that his mate Rawlinson is dead meat. Haven't forgotten the way that his replacement was treated when Sweetmore changed tack & decided that he wanted the job back after all........
Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 20:26 - Jan 23 with 3875 viewsR17ALE

Genuine Open Question to Dave Sweetmore on 18:58 - Jan 23 by 49thseason

Was this pre or post Bottomley, given his apparent ability to spend £50k on hand sanitiser and a few stickers £100k seems quite cheap!...?

Pre!

Whether or not he sourced the quote I've no idea, but the amount quoted was treble what I was expecting, hence the no.

Indeed, he had nothing whatsoever to do with the scoreboard purchase either. To his visible annoyance, he was told that the executors would personally oversee everything that Cloughie's money was going to be spent on. I was looking right at his face when he was told, and was alarmed/surprised how his eyes narrowed in annoyance.

At the time I probably thought he had flatulence, but several months later I can hazard a better guess!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024