Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hornets on Sunday 19:31 - Feb 24 with 260956 viewsEllDale

They’re tweeting that their “matchday operations” are being restricted for the home game against Barrow on Sunday for reasons that they don’t want to divulge at the moment.
The bottom line is that the crowd capacity is limited to 920 and there will be no cash admissions on the day.
Wonder what that’s all about?
Hornets on Sunday on 22:06 - Feb 26 with 5423 viewsdownunder

Hornets on Sunday on 10:59 - Feb 25 by hammerdale

Well said...this is not about point scoring, its about our history. Rochdale AFC, Rochdale Hornets, Rochdale Cricket Club, Rochdale Rugby Union Club, Norden Cricket, Heywood Cricket, Middleton Cricket, have been a stable diet of Sport inthe Borough of Rochdale for well over 100 years and remarkably they all have survived..why anyone would relish in their demise is beyond me.

and Littleborough Rugby Union. (once winners of the Lancashire cup)
Hornets on Sunday on 22:15 - Feb 26 with 5370 viewsEllDale

I remember Littleborough RUFC when they were Old Rochdalians and played in Balderstone Park.
When they moved to Rakewood I think that Mayfield RLFC took over their clubhouse on Oldham Road just opposite Broad Lane.
Hornets on Sunday on 09:17 - Feb 27 with 5119 viewsRochdaleGlory

Hornets on Sunday on 22:07 - Feb 24 by RAFCBLUE

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/12673168

Looking at Companies House, Rochdale Hornets appear to have reformed in June 2020 as a new legal entity.

No financial accounts have been published yet and the first period of account is a long one - 15 June 2020 to 30 November 2021 - 17 months. Under the Companies Act, the longest period of account is 18 months.

Their accounts are due in the next two weeks (by 15 March 2022) so that will be interesting to see how they have done in the 17 months against the backdrop of a severe cut in TV money from Sky to the RFL.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-finances-drop-rev

Money looks like it is tight too based on this article:

"But in truth, it is the clubs who are in League 1 that could well feel the ramifications of the ever-changing rugby league landscape the most.

Typically, clubs in the third tier receive around £75,000 funding at present. That is a big number for clubs who operate entirely on a part-time basis, but some League 1 clubs are readying themselves to get as little as £20,000 in 2022."

I guess if you see your funding cut to just £20k you have to manage the finances of your matchday operations accordingly.

Rochdale Hornets did not reform in actual fact they got taken over by a consortium in 2020 who converted the type of company from a society (supporter / members owned club) into a private limited company (owned by shareholders).

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/takeover-of-rochdale-hornets-is-officially-

While funding in the sport of RL has recently been cut which has impacted the sport at all levels, Hornets are one of a few clubs that’s managed to maintain their upward trajectory under solid new ownership and are amongst the front runners and favourites to be promoted from League One this year. They are operating debt free and as a sustainable but clearly ambitious club which is great for town / Borough and for those who are intelligent enough to appreciate the importance of success for all “Rochdale’s” sports clubs.

From our perspective (RAFC) if we are honest we are in no position to throw mud at anyone right now. If we really are selling ourself as a “ Community Club” and want to break our current downward trajectory which will be hard enough with no real investment in the boardroom, resorting to running charity pages to cover our legal costs and announcing £1.2m losses, while struggling to make up the numbers in the sports bottom professional tier we should be working closely with and collaborating with all our community partners for the greater good of sport in Rochdale which I hope is the case.

[Post edited 27 Feb 2022 9:37]
Hornets on Sunday on 10:33 - Feb 27 with 5021 viewsjudd

Hornets on Sunday on 09:17 - Feb 27 by RochdaleGlory

Rochdale Hornets did not reform in actual fact they got taken over by a consortium in 2020 who converted the type of company from a society (supporter / members owned club) into a private limited company (owned by shareholders).

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/takeover-of-rochdale-hornets-is-officially-

While funding in the sport of RL has recently been cut which has impacted the sport at all levels, Hornets are one of a few clubs that’s managed to maintain their upward trajectory under solid new ownership and are amongst the front runners and favourites to be promoted from League One this year. They are operating debt free and as a sustainable but clearly ambitious club which is great for town / Borough and for those who are intelligent enough to appreciate the importance of success for all “Rochdale’s” sports clubs.

From our perspective (RAFC) if we are honest we are in no position to throw mud at anyone right now. If we really are selling ourself as a “ Community Club” and want to break our current downward trajectory which will be hard enough with no real investment in the boardroom, resorting to running charity pages to cover our legal costs and announcing £1.2m losses, while struggling to make up the numbers in the sports bottom professional tier we should be working closely with and collaborating with all our community partners for the greater good of sport in Rochdale which I hope is the case.

Hi Matthew.

I take it you didn't attend the Trust in the community joint event last week, featuring authors of books on both clubs, joined on the Q&A panel by football club chair Simon Gauge, also in attendance RAFC supporters club chair?

Sadly appeared to be no one from the Hornets board in attendance.

The £1.2m loss you sling around is a trading loss during a pandemic and accumulated before the current board was formed.

The charity you refer to is a crowdjustice funding initiative driven by the supporters Trust and not the individual directors named in the petition. Think that figure went over £37k yesterday.

7 from 9 points snd unbeaten at home since early October would not suggest a downward trajectory under current club management.

Good luck Hornets from a Mayfield member.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Hornets on Sunday on 11:00 - Feb 27 with 4957 viewsRochdaleGlory

Hornets on Sunday on 10:33 - Feb 27 by judd

Hi Matthew.

I take it you didn't attend the Trust in the community joint event last week, featuring authors of books on both clubs, joined on the Q&A panel by football club chair Simon Gauge, also in attendance RAFC supporters club chair?

Sadly appeared to be no one from the Hornets board in attendance.

The £1.2m loss you sling around is a trading loss during a pandemic and accumulated before the current board was formed.

The charity you refer to is a crowdjustice funding initiative driven by the supporters Trust and not the individual directors named in the petition. Think that figure went over £37k yesterday.

7 from 9 points snd unbeaten at home since early October would not suggest a downward trajectory under current club management.

Good luck Hornets from a Mayfield member.

Matthew?

I did hear on the grapevine that Hornets have distanced themselves from that book due to it threatening to reopen old wounds and create unrest amongst key sponsors and supporters of the club.

Maybe that explains why Hornets did not attend?

Best wishes to Mayfield also.
[Post edited 27 Feb 2022 11:03]
Hornets on Sunday on 11:07 - Feb 27 with 4943 viewshammerdale

Hornets on Sunday on 11:00 - Feb 27 by RochdaleGlory

Matthew?

I did hear on the grapevine that Hornets have distanced themselves from that book due to it threatening to reopen old wounds and create unrest amongst key sponsors and supporters of the club.

Maybe that explains why Hornets did not attend?

Best wishes to Mayfield also.
[Post edited 27 Feb 2022 11:03]

Pretty sure the Hornets book was on sale in the club shop, by the way it is an excellent boo. A brilliant history of the club...and contains nothing that wasnt in the public domain. The authors also reference the publication where their information came from
Hornets on Sunday on 11:13 - Feb 27 with 4917 viewsjudd

Hornets on Sunday on 11:07 - Feb 27 by hammerdale

Pretty sure the Hornets book was on sale in the club shop, by the way it is an excellent boo. A brilliant history of the club...and contains nothing that wasnt in the public domain. The authors also reference the publication where their information came from

Painstakingly so too.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Hornets on Sunday on 11:41 - Feb 27 with 4840 viewsRochdaleGlory

Hornets on Sunday on 11:07 - Feb 27 by hammerdale

It doesn’t appear to be on the clubs shop now and a review of the clubs website and socials doesn’t show any promotion of either last weeks event or the book itself.

Anyway that’s going off topic I suppose.

Live and live I say and best of luck to all our towns sports clubs.
Login to get fewer ads

Hornets on Sunday on 16:22 - Feb 27 with 4638 viewsEllDale

Hornets losing 22-6 at the moment but, to be fair, Barrow are unbeaten in the Championship so far this season.
Hornets on Sunday on 16:48 - Feb 27 with 4582 viewsBrierls

If you’re going to use the terms “our” and “we” in relation to Dale, at least make an effort to understand the recent accounts and the reasoning behind fundraising for legal fees. That’s what a Dale fan would know.

There’s no issue with registering and posting as a Hornets fan. You’d certainly appear more genuine than you just have,
Hornets on Sunday on 17:39 - Feb 27 with 4505 viewsTyroneShoelaces

Hornets on Sunday on 20:21 - Feb 26 by hammerdale

Got a feeling things aren't going too well between the occupants of Spotland. Would love to know the reasons the mood has changed..Hornets not paying their bill's again?

Rumour i heard today was that the football club were playing
hard ball over Hornets insurance cover and are no longer letting
them use the football clubs licence. Why would that affect the
number of fans allowed in ?
Hornets on Sunday on 18:36 - Feb 27 with 4392 viewshammerdale

Good job Hornets were knocked out then, Can you imagine 4000 Wigan or Saints fans turning up and only a capacity of 900. The other issue is the extortionate price of a pint at the bar, cheaper at the Ritz in London.
Hornets on Sunday on 23:12 - Feb 27 with 4160 viewsDalenet

Well Hornets didn't need the capacity today with less than 920 tickets sold. Shame about the result. I think we have moved on (in the main) and only wish Hornets well. But with barely 500 home fans nowadays Hornets are hardly faring well. At least Dale's covid season loses are covered by reserves for now. Good job we are well run and had reserves.

You'll know too that the legal fees we are raising are to support individuals. The club is not allowed to use its money to do that. So why such a dig? Isn't it honourable that fans try and help the custodians of the club who are now under malicious attack?
Hornets on Sunday on 05:29 - Feb 28 with 4062 viewshammerdale

Hornets on Sunday on 23:12 - Feb 27 by Dalenet

Well Hornets didn't need the capacity today with less than 920 tickets sold. Shame about the result. I think we have moved on (in the main) and only wish Hornets well. But with barely 500 home fans nowadays Hornets are hardly faring well. At least Dale's covid season loses are covered by reserves for now. Good job we are well run and had reserves.

You'll know too that the legal fees we are raising are to support individuals. The club is not allowed to use its money to do that. So why such a dig? Isn't it honourable that fans try and help the custodians of the club who are now under malicious attack?

Quite frankly yesterday was an embarrassing, no scoreboard, no after match presentations, because Hornets were not allowed to use the facilities pathetic really...

900 fans jammed into one section of the stand.....Barrow fans not going in the bar post match because they refuse to pay Hotel prices for a pint of beer. I don't know the reason for the stance of the Football club ...but if they don't eat Hornets there don't use petty tactics tell Hornets straight then they can look for an alternative venue.
Hornets on Sunday on 07:31 - Feb 28 with 3979 views1907

Hornets on Sunday on 05:29 - Feb 28 by hammerdale

Quite frankly yesterday was an embarrassing, no scoreboard, no after match presentations, because Hornets were not allowed to use the facilities pathetic really...

900 fans jammed into one section of the stand.....Barrow fans not going in the bar post match because they refuse to pay Hotel prices for a pint of beer. I don't know the reason for the stance of the Football club ...but if they don't eat Hornets there don't use petty tactics tell Hornets straight then they can look for an alternative venue.

How much is a hotel price for a pint of beer please?
Hornets on Sunday on 08:20 - Feb 28 with 3919 viewsEllDale

I seem to think that when Denehurst Park Ltd was set-up Hornets had 40% share of it.
Not Rochdale’s fault that Hornets’ own mismanagement over 25 years saw the situation change.
Hornets on Sunday on 09:51 - Feb 28 with 3778 viewshammerdale

Hornets on Sunday on 07:31 - Feb 28 by 1907

How much is a hotel price for a pint of beer please?

Between £5 and £8, The football club have put the beer up about £1a pint.
Hornets on Sunday on 09:56 - Feb 28 with 3768 viewsmingthemerciless

Hornets on Sunday on 08:20 - Feb 28 by EllDale

I seem to think that when Denehurst Park Ltd was set-up Hornets had 40% share of it.
Not Rochdale’s fault that Hornets’ own mismanagement over 25 years saw the situation change.

Yesterday was a classic example of “ How not to win friends and influence people “. I would have thought that the football club would have been busting a gut to win over as much support in the town as they can at the moment. Instead we get yesterdays farce. I also heard that Hornets had been prevented from charging for car parking. What is that all about ? I suspect the football club new board are chucking their weight around. I would have thought they’d enough on their plate without going out of their way to make more enemies.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2022 10:10]
Hornets on Sunday on 10:15 - Feb 28 with 3727 viewshammerdale

Hornets on Sunday on 08:20 - Feb 28 by EllDale

Totally agree, but
the current board run the club very well with little help from the Rugby League, my point is if R.A.F.C. think the present financial situation does not benefit them, which of course they are entitled to do....then give Hornets notice to leave. The pettiness of embarrassing Hornets on a match day, is not the way to go about it, in my opinion.......so what has changed from 4 weeks ago when Hornets played their 1st match of the season?
Hornets on Sunday on 10:20 - Feb 28 with 3713 viewsD_Alien

Hornets on Sunday on 09:56 - Feb 28 by mingthemerciless

Yesterday was a classic example of “ How not to win friends and influence people “. I would have thought that the football club would have been busting a gut to win over as much support in the town as they can at the moment. Instead we get yesterdays farce. I also heard that Hornets had been prevented from charging for car parking. What is that all about ? I suspect the football club new board are chucking their weight around. I would have thought they’d enough on their plate without going out of their way to make more enemies.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2022 10:10]

And that, unfortunately, is the perception that arises in the absence of any clarity

If Hornets are unable to pay their way, then something has to give since clearly Dale are in no position to subsidise them

But surely, it'd be preferable to have the facts in the open? Its the secrecy that ruins it for all, as the previous Dale board found out

That's not a criticism of the new board, since the facts aren't clear, but until they are, the perception you've highlighted is allowed to fester
[Post edited 28 Feb 2022 10:21]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Hornets on Sunday on 10:29 - Feb 28 with 3672 viewsmingthemerciless

Hornets on Sunday on 10:20 - Feb 28 by D_Alien

And that, unfortunately, is the perception that arises in the absence of any clarity

If Hornets are unable to pay their way, then something has to give since clearly Dale are in no position to subsidise them

But surely, it'd be preferable to have the facts in the open? Its the secrecy that ruins it for all, as the previous Dale board found out

That's not a criticism of the new board, since the facts aren't clear, but until they are, the perception you've highlighted is allowed to fester
[Post edited 28 Feb 2022 10:21]

If what I heard was correct and the football club are preventing Hornets from charging for car parking - how does that help anybody ?
Hornets on Sunday on 10:33 - Feb 28 with 3650 viewsR17ALE

Another angle to consider, is that our new board will be completely unaware of how (historically) Hornets have been an absolute set of tvvats to deal with.

Assuming the leopard hasn't changed its spots, the new board are in for a tough lesson. They might not roll over as easily as previous boards did, hence a new malingering odour.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Hornets on Sunday on 10:36 - Feb 28 with 3637 viewskel

Bloody “AFC”. Fancy wanting control over their own ground and facilities.
Hornets on Sunday on 10:46 - Feb 28 with 3585 viewsD_Alien

Hornets on Sunday on 10:33 - Feb 28 by R17ALE

Another angle to consider, is that our new board will be completely unaware of how (historically) Hornets have been an absolute set of tvvats to deal with.

Assuming the leopard hasn't changed its spots, the new board are in for a tough lesson. They might not roll over as easily as previous boards did, hence a new malingering odour.

I should certainly hope the Dale board won't be pushed around by anybody and their record suggests they won't

So who's doing the pushing, and how are they doing it?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Hornets on Sunday on 10:50 - Feb 28 with 3571 viewsR17ALE

Hornets on Sunday on 05:29 - Feb 28 by hammerdale

The scoreboard is owned by the football club, paid for by Cloughie. Hornets are perfectly entitled to rent it from us.

The same Cloughie who a former Hornets Chairman (the chemist) once tried to persuade him to convert all his Goldbond members to Saturday Yankee members.

Cloughie rang me to report this tapping up circa 1995. I said "Tell him to fook off".

He said, "I already have done"!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024