Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pitch invasions 22:51 - May 19 with 6959 viewsEllDale

They’re now becoming more and more common. Fashionable even.
And dangerous.
Where once they used to signify celebration we had the Billy Sharp incident earlier this week and this evening it appears that Swindon players have been attacked at Port Vale.
How long will it be before someone suggests putting up the fences again?
Pitch invasions on 22:55 - May 19 with 4741 views442Dale

It’s getting to the stage that for pens it would probably make sense for players to be on the touch line.

Clubs should warn beforehand that all footage will be reviewed after and any abuse towards players/carrying of flares will see bans.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Pitch invasions on 22:57 - May 19 with 4735 viewsD_Alien

Also the invasion at Goodison Park when Everton took the lead. Although celebratory, it was premature and if just one of their fans had attacked a Palace player the authorities would've had a decision to make about the outcome of that game

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Pitch invasions on 06:53 - May 20 with 4580 viewsfrenzied

Pitch invasions on 22:55 - May 19 by 442Dale

It’s getting to the stage that for pens it would probably make sense for players to be on the touch line.

Clubs should warn beforehand that all footage will be reviewed after and any abuse towards players/carrying of flares will see bans.

id agree with that

Having watched the Port Vale game it was clear some morons made a bee line for certain Swindon players..

God forbid we'd see the return of fences again.

No amount of stewards or police can stop that amount of fans entering the field of play.
Pitch invasions on 07:39 - May 20 with 4539 viewsdale1968

And in the heat of the moment stupid actions have far reaching consequences.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-61505835

Poll: Should The Military Assist The Police Over Covid Compliance.

Pitch invasions on 07:46 - May 20 with 4530 viewsmeeee

Looks like Vieria got into an altercation with a pitch invader at Everton last night

Pitch invasions on 08:32 - May 20 with 4446 viewskel

I said at the time of the Scunthorpe incident they these types see it as a badge of honour and do it to impress like minded pond life. The rest of us are, of course, snowflakes.

It’s about knowing right from wrong and these kind of people have obviously been dragged up and this is how they live life in general. Sad.
Pitch invasions on 08:40 - May 20 with 4435 viewsmikehunt

Can you honestly blame Vieira? He showed remarkable restraint but how much is one supposed to take? He’ll get done, no doubt, because the lad didn’t touch him but pffff! It would be rough justice imo.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Pitch invasions on 08:45 - May 20 with 4422 viewsrafc1977

Really good point that ED makes here.
There is a definite shift from the euphoria and wanting to celebrate with your own, to a minority (its always a minority who spoil things) who have the sole intention to goad away players / supporters.
What happened to Billy Sharp was disgusting, and the more times it happens there is a chance the fences return which would be a very sad day for football.
Login to get fewer ads

Pitch invasions on 08:58 - May 20 with 4390 viewsBainesy15

IMO pitch invasions should be reserved for actual euphoric moments, at home only - Muirhead's pen, that Northampton win, the Charlton relegation survival. Anything else becomes meaningless (Bristol Rovers at ours). It should never happen away from home because it's about celebrating an achievement and not being a pr1ck and taunting other people
Pitch invasions on 09:07 - May 20 with 4360 viewsZac_B

Cocaine appears to be a major factor in all of this (see Wembley Euro 2020 final report).

Lads aren't wobbling onto a football pitch after a few pints, they are charging on to pitches! I'm sure this discussion has been had on here before, but head into Manchester city centre for a night out at weekend and you don't see groups of people giggling and falling over at 2am...you see a lot of highly charged, angry looking people.

All a bit sweeping, I know, but it's now been happening for a good few years.
Pitch invasions on 10:09 - May 20 with 4237 viewsDalenet

Pitch invasions on 07:46 - May 20 by meeee

Looks like Vieria got into an altercation with a pitch invader at Everton last night

That so called fan wasn't celebrating his club's survival in the Premiership. It was deliberate provocation and he obviously said something and Vieira reacted. No doubt the football authorities will hold him to account - and the knobhead that caused it will walk away free.

We've lost the morale compass in too many sections of society
Pitch invasions on 10:09 - May 20 with 4237 viewsSuddenLad

There will be no return of fenced in compounds, but we are in serious danger of seeing all second leg semi-final play-offs being played behind closed doors.

The guy who snotted Billy Sharp was given 24 weeks in prison and banned for 10 years. That's not a proper sentence of imprisonment for what he did.

Likewise we had people goading Patrick Vieira at Everton, intimidating him and he lashed out. The morons at Vale Park who behaved like pack animals.

No amount of stewarding or police will prevent thousands of people pouring over low walls on to the pitch. The FA need to seriously think about how to stop this and the courts need to step up and issue appropriate sentences. Any of these clowns could have had a knife. What then?

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Pitch invasions on 10:57 - May 20 with 4146 viewsEllDale

Football's authorities need to be seen to be doing something as well.
I still haven't seen any sanction taken against Bristol Rovers for two pitch invasions in as many weeks at the end of the season.
I never saw them plead with their fans not to enter the field of play before the game with Scunthorpe after the shenanigans at Spotland.
They, along with Port Vale and Nottingham Forest, should be playing behind closed doors at the start of next season as well. I know that this hits the decent fans but something proactive has to happen before we start a new season.
And the courts need to wake up as well. That was a joke sentence given to the bloke who assaulted Billy Sharp.
I don't think fences will ever come back but clubs are going to have to start investing in more and better means of security unfortunately.
Pitch invasions on 11:40 - May 20 with 4079 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

Pitch invasions on 10:57 - May 20 by EllDale

Football's authorities need to be seen to be doing something as well.
I still haven't seen any sanction taken against Bristol Rovers for two pitch invasions in as many weeks at the end of the season.
I never saw them plead with their fans not to enter the field of play before the game with Scunthorpe after the shenanigans at Spotland.
They, along with Port Vale and Nottingham Forest, should be playing behind closed doors at the start of next season as well. I know that this hits the decent fans but something proactive has to happen before we start a new season.
And the courts need to wake up as well. That was a joke sentence given to the bloke who assaulted Billy Sharp.
I don't think fences will ever come back but clubs are going to have to start investing in more and better means of security unfortunately.

A 20 point deduction to be applied next season perhaps? And publish the names & addresses of all those identified on the pitch in the local paper…
[Post edited 20 May 2022 11:41]
Pitch invasions on 11:54 - May 20 with 4028 viewsdawlishdale

Pitch invasions on 11:40 - May 20 by Plattyswrinklynuts

A 20 point deduction to be applied next season perhaps? And publish the names & addresses of all those identified on the pitch in the local paper…
[Post edited 20 May 2022 11:41]

Until it hurts those who invade the pitch it will carry on.

I'd reverse the result of the Forest and Port Vale matches for a start. Other sanctions could include playing matches behind closed doors, and a points deduction.

Did we get any punishment for the Scunthorpe idiots? We certainly could have, and the sad part is that plenty of our fans on other social media were in full support of the brain dead ones.
Pitch invasions on 12:34 - May 20 with 3931 viewsTomRAFC

For some people, it's not celebration, it's opportunism. As several people have pointed out above, they see it as a badge of honour. They're creating "atmosphere", so they claim.

There's been a visible shift in the Sandy. When Dale score, there are a growing number of people whose first response is to spin round to hoot and flail at the away fans. Opportunism, not celebration.

Cocaine and booze is a factor, but they aren't the root cause. Some people have a warped sense of fun.

As rightly pointed out, unless the sanctions have an impact on their fun, they won't change.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Pitch invasions on 12:43 - May 20 with 3900 viewskel

The thing with these types is (and I’ve seen stuff sent to Dale fans speaking out about the Scunthorpe stuff) they come out with with tripe like “giving people a slap” for daring to have some morals and speaking up. God knows how it gets resolved when that’s the mentality we’re dealing with.
Pitch invasions on 12:54 - May 20 with 3877 viewsAtThePeake

Some of the reactions on this thread are ever so slightly OTT, no?

Reversing the result of a match and stopping a group of players and staff that have played 48 games from winning a potential promotion they've worked a full year for because of the actions of a idiotic minority is hardly a punishment that fits the crime as far as the club is concerned.

Tangled up in blue.

Pitch invasions on 13:07 - May 20 with 3848 viewsD_Alien

Pitch invasions on 12:54 - May 20 by AtThePeake

Reversing the result of a match and stopping a group of players and staff that have played 48 games from winning a potential promotion they've worked a full year for because of the actions of a idiotic minority is hardly a punishment that fits the crime as far as the club is concerned.

Possibly slightly OTT in some instances, but not in others

The point i made last night was about the pitch invasion after Everton went 3-2 up. Euphoria at having done so, absolutely, but the game wasn't over

The incident where Vieira is confronted happened at the end of the game. The result stands. If that had happened with him or one of his players at 3-2 that's potentially going to affect the result (e.g. attacked player having to be substituted)

In that instance, the game should've been abandoned and the points awarded to Palace. That's the stupidity of the mindset of those going onto the pitch
[Post edited 20 May 2022 13:08]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Pitch invasions on 13:35 - May 20 with 3771 viewsEllDale

Both pitch invasions concerning Bristol Rovers fans happened in normal time.
Apparently the referee in the second game against Scunthorpe was seriously considering abandoning the game which would have been totally counterproductive to what the fans were "celebrating".
Pitch invasions on 17:16 - May 20 with 3500 viewsblackdogblue

A guy at work is a Wigan fan & goes home & away. It seems it kicks off somewhere at most games.

Pitch invasions for celebrations for genuine fans I have to say I’m Guilty at Spotland a few times but it seems the era of hooliganism is sadly on the return again. I agree stewards can’t cope and to be honest for the money they get paid I wouldn’t do it nor try to stop a rushing crowd of coke heads…

It’s a bigger problem than people think and needs dealing with by harsher sentences & I have not seen anything in the press about that nobead who attacked Billy Sharp loosing his job, just no remorse & if you send me down I can’t afford my mortgage… WTF??? I would have fined him £10k & sent him down for 2-5 years for ABH… if it happened in Rochdale town centre outside a pub the sentence would have been harsher…

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Pitch invasions on 19:04 - May 20 with 3373 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Until the behaviour of footballers improves there isn’t a chance the behaviour of fans will improve.

In modern football it’s ok to cheat, dive or feign injury…it’s ok to bully referees at each and every decision they make or cry foul and try to get opposing players booked/sent off.

There are no role models on the pitch to serve as ‘good example’ to fans and there is little deterrent off the pitch for dreadful behaviour.
Pitch invasions on 21:32 - May 20 with 3207 viewsmikehunt

Pitch invasions on 12:54 - May 20 by AtThePeake

Fair point about the reversal of the result being somewhat harsh - were it to be be done retrospectively. If it was decreed that, as of now, such instances would lead to the result being reversed, then there can be absolutely no excuse for such scenes. I think something like that has to be implemented to nip this growing trend in the bud.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Pitch invasions on 23:17 - May 20 with 3111 viewsToffeemanc

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-61521364

Looks like the fans who went onto the pitch to protest against the owner in Oldhams game that saw them relegated against Salford are all looking likely to be banned from the stadium and maybe even prosecuted as well.

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

Pitch invasions on 08:09 - May 21 with 2979 viewsDalenet

Pitch invasions on 17:16 - May 20 by blackdogblue

A guy at work is a Wigan fan & goes home & away. It seems it kicks off somewhere at most games.

Pitch invasions for celebrations for genuine fans I have to say I’m Guilty at Spotland a few times but it seems the era of hooliganism is sadly on the return again. I agree stewards can’t cope and to be honest for the money they get paid I wouldn’t do it nor try to stop a rushing crowd of coke heads…

It’s a bigger problem than people think and needs dealing with by harsher sentences & I have not seen anything in the press about that nobead who attacked Billy Sharp loosing his job, just no remorse & if you send me down I can’t afford my mortgage… WTF??? I would have fined him £10k & sent him down for 2-5 years for ABH… if it happened in Rochdale town centre outside a pub the sentence would have been harsher…

I thnk the judge that heard the case of the Billy Sharp assault has gone down for 24 weeks having dismissed his argument about his mortgage.

But do we want our jails full of these people at a cost of £1000 per week to the taxpayer. I don't. Lets fine them half their wages for a year and insist that they have lost their freedom for a year between 7pm and 6am using tagging. That would really hurt them and be a great deterrent.

In other news I see that Leeds and Burnley are taking legal action on the fair play rules. Everton have lost over £300m over the past two years breaking the fair play rule on spending on players. Not that it has done them much good. They have argued that £150m of that was due to covid losses - whilst other Premiership teams have claimed they incurred covid losses of £40-£50m. Somebody is telling porkies.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024