Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
General cricket questions 09:43 - Jun 26 with 3812 viewsfrenzied

Really enjoy watching the cricket both test and 20 20 style.

Dont really understand the finer points of the game..however..

1. How close to start of game do Counties need to announce their team?

2.I notice the team selection can vary from game to game...is this due to the type of wicket being played on or is it the style of game required of which some players suit certain types of requirements?

3.Is the ball automatically changed after a certain number of overs?

Thanks
General cricket questions on 10:11 - Jun 26 with 3769 viewsisitme

The toss takes place 30 minutes before the start of play when teams have to submit their teams.

Some players are more suited to red ball or white ball cricket and are therefore selected accordingly. The conditions may also play a part as well with some wickets being better for spin and some seam bowling. One of the biggest factors regarding selection is availability, especially of seam bowlers who tend to get injured more and or need a rest.

In test match cricket the bowling team can get a new ball after 90 overs. I think it is the same now in county cricket as well (that seemed to change every season for a few years). In the one day game they use a seperate ball from each end but one ball in T20.

Any more questions please feel free to ask and I will try and answer.
General cricket questions on 10:45 - Jun 26 with 3716 viewsD_Alien

General cricket questions on 10:11 - Jun 26 by isitme

The toss takes place 30 minutes before the start of play when teams have to submit their teams.

Some players are more suited to red ball or white ball cricket and are therefore selected accordingly. The conditions may also play a part as well with some wickets being better for spin and some seam bowling. One of the biggest factors regarding selection is availability, especially of seam bowlers who tend to get injured more and or need a rest.

In test match cricket the bowling team can get a new ball after 90 overs. I think it is the same now in county cricket as well (that seemed to change every season for a few years). In the one day game they use a seperate ball from each end but one ball in T20.

Any more questions please feel free to ask and I will try and answer.

New ball after 80 overs

To add: if the ball goes out of shape (e.g. after being blatted to smithereens by Stokes/Bairstow) and doesn't fit through the umpires hoop, it can be changed before 80 overs but for a ball with a similar amount of overs use in it

There are 90 overs designated play* per day in test cricket so the new ball generally becomes available before the end of the day (first day) - but depends when the innings started of course

* there are a million reasons why this doesn't happen!

[Post edited 26 Jun 2022 10:46]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

General cricket questions on 11:29 - Jun 26 with 3658 viewsisitme

It is 80. Brain fade this morning!
General cricket questions on 11:34 - Jun 26 with 3644 viewsTVOS1907

General cricket questions on 10:45 - Jun 26 by D_Alien

New ball after 80 overs

To add: if the ball goes out of shape (e.g. after being blatted to smithereens by Stokes/Bairstow) and doesn't fit through the umpires hoop, it can be changed before 80 overs but for a ball with a similar amount of overs use in it

There are 90 overs designated play* per day in test cricket so the new ball generally becomes available before the end of the day (first day) - but depends when the innings started of course

"Umpires hoop" sounds like a medical term.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2022 11:37]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

General cricket questions on 11:35 - Jun 26 with 3641 viewsD_Alien

General cricket questions on 11:29 - Jun 26 by isitme

It is 80. Brain fade this morning!

Knew you knew that, but was just thinking how difficult it must be for someone relatively new to the game to get to grips with all the arcanery!

For instance, today there's 96 overs designated, due to losing time for the weather yesterday; this means play can go on till 7pm* to accommodate the extra overs

* or even later if there's another break in play today? As ever, there's a caveat to every rule in cricket!

General cricket questions on 11:36 - Jun 26 with 3632 viewsD_Alien

General cricket questions on 11:34 - Jun 26 by TVOS1907

"Umpires hoop" sounds like a medical term.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2022 11:37]

I've absolutely no doubt they try to fit their balls through it, in the privacy of the dressing room

General cricket questions on 11:38 - Jun 26 with 3618 viewsTVOS1907

General cricket questions on 11:36 - Jun 26 by D_Alien

I've absolutely no doubt they try to fit their balls through it, in the privacy of the dressing room

But, in the case of Test Match cricket, only when they're red!

General cricket questions on 11:39 - Jun 26 with 3613 viewsD_Alien

General cricket questions on 11:38 - Jun 26 by TVOS1907

But, in the case of Test Match cricket, only when they're red!

Not allowed to mention that in white ball cricket (another arcane rule), or you'll be erm... blackballed

Login to get fewer ads

General cricket questions on 11:51 - Jun 26 with 3578 viewsfrenzied

not that ive seen it happen as yet...but if the ball is hit out of the ground..is a new ball immediately introduced ?

thanks for your help..kept hearing about red and white ball games but i thought that was to do with whether it was a night or day game?
[Post edited 26 Jun 2022 11:52]
General cricket questions on 11:53 - Jun 26 with 3567 viewsisitme

General cricket questions on 11:51 - Jun 26 by frenzied

not that ive seen it happen as yet...but if the ball is hit out of the ground..is a new ball immediately introduced ?

thanks for your help..kept hearing about red and white ball games but i thought that was to do with whether it was a night or day game?

They will try and find it first but if they can't then a replacement ball will be brought out which is of a 'similar condition' to the lost ball.
General cricket questions on 12:14 - Jun 26 with 3529 viewsTVOS1907

General cricket questions on 11:51 - Jun 26 by frenzied

A lot of "white ball games" do continue into evening, having started later in the day to allow this to happen.

The T20 match v India on 7th July doesn't start until 6.30pm, so that will finish later in the evening, as will four of the five One Day Internationals (ODIs) v India later that month. They all start at 1.00pm, so, if they go the full distance, they aren't likely to finish until after 8.00pm.

As we get further into summer, the floodlights take more effect, as they do at early season football matches.

ODIs at weekends tend to start at 11.00am, so they finish in the early evening.

We have tried a floodlit Test Match in this country, but it didn't seem to be a success. Australia has a much better climate, so there's usually a 'day-night' Test Match there now in every series, which are very popular.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2022 12:16]

General cricket questions on 12:20 - Jun 26 with 3509 viewsD_Alien

General cricket questions on 12:14 - Jun 26 by TVOS1907

A lot of "white ball games" do continue into evening, having started later in the day to allow this to happen.

The T20 match v India on 7th July doesn't start until 6.30pm, so that will finish later in the evening, as will four of the five One Day Internationals (ODIs) v India later that month. They all start at 1.00pm, so, if they go the full distance, they aren't likely to finish until after 8.00pm.

As we get further into summer, the floodlights take more effect, as they do at early season football matches.

ODIs at weekends tend to start at 11.00am, so they finish in the early evening.

We have tried a floodlit Test Match in this country, but it didn't seem to be a success. Australia has a much better climate, so there's usually a 'day-night' Test Match there now in every series, which are very popular.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2022 12:16]

Glad you didn't mention pink balls...

I'd rather be no-balled than face one of those

General cricket questions on 12:45 - Jun 26 with 3446 viewsDaleiLama

Frenzied - this is the best summary of the principles of cricket there is.

The Rules of Cricket

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have got out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

On a more serious note, there's Stephen Fry's explanation of the rules, which, because it's Stephen Fry, is bound to be a good watch

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

General cricket questions on 08:13 - Jun 27 with 3127 viewsfrenzied

General cricket questions on 12:45 - Jun 26 by DaleiLama

Frenzied - this is the best summary of the principles of cricket there is.

The Rules of Cricket

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have got out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

On a more serious note, there's Stephen Fry's explanation of the rules, which, because it's Stephen Fry, is bound to be a good watch

Thats great..

Going thro this bit by bit..

The no ball rule?...which umpire is responsible for tracking this?

The one stood at the bowler end has prob got to look for wides and LBW issues so i cant imagine its him whereas the other is stood a fair distance away?
General cricket questions on 11:09 - Jun 27 with 3015 viewsBainesy15

General cricket questions on 08:13 - Jun 27 by frenzied

Thats great..

Going thro this bit by bit..

The no ball rule?...which umpire is responsible for tracking this?

The one stood at the bowler end has prob got to look for wides and LBW issues so i cant imagine its him whereas the other is stood a fair distance away?

Officially these are all checked by the 3rd umpire now, for test matches anyway. This is a fairly recent addition - usually the main umpire checks front foot no balls and the square leg ump checks height
General cricket questions on 12:02 - Jun 27 with 2970 viewsZac_B

General cricket questions on 10:45 - Jun 26 by D_Alien

New ball after 80 overs

I heard something on TMS the other day, which stated that two hoops should be used - the ball should pass through one hoop, but not the other. It was suggested that many umpires are not following the correct process in only using one hoop. Fair to say it confused Tuffers!
General cricket questions on 12:56 - Jun 27 with 2901 viewsBainesy15

General cricket questions on 12:02 - Jun 27 by Zac_B

I heard something on TMS the other day, which stated that two hoops should be used - the ball should pass through one hoop, but not the other. It was suggested that many umpires are not following the correct process in only using one hoop. Fair to say it confused Tuffers!

Doesn't take much...
General cricket questions on 08:41 - Jul 18 with 2296 viewsfrenzied

Just another question..

How do cricket players contracts work?..i hear about players moving between counties but theres no mention of transfer fees etc as in footy?

Also the IPL tournament talks about players costing huge amounts..who do these amounts go to or are they relating to something else?

Thanks as always
General cricket questions on 08:54 - Jul 18 with 2250 viewspioneer

General cricket questions on 08:41 - Jul 18 by frenzied

Just another question..

How do cricket players contracts work?..i hear about players moving between counties but theres no mention of transfer fees etc as in footy?

Also the IPL tournament talks about players costing huge amounts..who do these amounts go to or are they relating to something else?

Thanks as always

No transfer fees…move at end of contract or get current team to release them from contract. Also increasing trend of loans.

IPL (and other 2020 tournament drafts) have the amounts going to thei player (and his agent of course) …not sure whther their contracted county also get a cut. I expect someone on here will know.
General cricket questions on 09:06 - Jul 18 with 2240 viewsisitme

General cricket questions on 08:41 - Jul 18 by frenzied

Just another question..

Thanks as always

They are contracted for a set amount of years. As with football contracts counties will try and sign their better players to longer term deals whereas squad fillers and players towards the end of their career may face the uncertainty of one year deals. Some players will be contracted for white ball or T20 deals only as they either do not want to or their skill sets do not translate to the red ball game. Players usually move when they are out of contract as a free agent hence no transfer fee. On the odd occasion a player may be bought out of their contract but the fee is rarely published. To add complications some players are centrally contracted to England who pay their wages but can choose when they play, if at all for their counties. Other counties can approach players sixth months before the end of their contract. Warwickshire have signed Mooen Ali on an initial white ball contract from next season. They have been linked with Mahmood from Lancashire as well. There is a salary cap and a minimum wage that players of a different level of experience can be paid.

Players who play in the IPL receive the amount that they are bought for if they play. Archer receives nothing from his franchise this year as he was injured even though they spent money from their pot to buy him. If a player who is contracted to an English county signs for an IPL team they have to pay their county a fee based on their contract and the length of time they miss.

Overseas players contracts are another question entirely. Historically counties would have one player or two if you go back far enough for the whole season. Now with much more international cricket and the growth of T20 counties often have numerous overseas players for portions of the season. Hassan Ali for six red ball games, Tim David for T20. Washington Sundar for the 50 over games and the remaining red ball games. Oh and Vilas all season due to the end of the Kolpak rule.
General cricket questions on 10:17 - Jul 18 with 2170 viewsAtThePeake

General cricket questions on 09:06 - Jul 18 by isitme

They are contracted for a set amount of years. As with football contracts counties will try and sign their better players to longer term deals whereas squad fillers and players towards the end of their career may face the uncertainty of one year deals. Some players will be contracted for white ball or T20 deals only as they either do not want to or their skill sets do not translate to the red ball game. Players usually move when they are out of contract as a free agent hence no transfer fee. On the odd occasion a player may be bought out of their contract but the fee is rarely published. To add complications some players are centrally contracted to England who pay their wages but can choose when they play, if at all for their counties. Other counties can approach players sixth months before the end of their contract. Warwickshire have signed Mooen Ali on an initial white ball contract from next season. They have been linked with Mahmood from Lancashire as well. There is a salary cap and a minimum wage that players of a different level of experience can be paid.

Players who play in the IPL receive the amount that they are bought for if they play. Archer receives nothing from his franchise this year as he was injured even though they spent money from their pot to buy him. If a player who is contracted to an English county signs for an IPL team they have to pay their county a fee based on their contract and the length of time they miss.

Overseas players contracts are another question entirely. Historically counties would have one player or two if you go back far enough for the whole season. Now with much more international cricket and the growth of T20 counties often have numerous overseas players for portions of the season. Hassan Ali for six red ball games, Tim David for T20. Washington Sundar for the 50 over games and the remaining red ball games. Oh and Vilas all season due to the end of the Kolpak rule.

re: Mahmood, the Mail are reporting today that he's extended his deal at Lancs.

Great news if so!

Tangled up in blue.

General cricket questions on 11:41 - Jul 18 with 2065 viewsisitme

General cricket questions on 10:17 - Jul 18 by AtThePeake

re: Mahmood, the Mail are reporting today that he's extended his deal at Lancs.

Great news if so!

Good news, especially with Williams signing as a domestic player for three years. You can never have too many capable seamers.

Now offficial

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/62207901
[Post edited 18 Jul 2022 12:29]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024