Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Racky 17:42 - Aug 3 with 5208 viewsblackdogblue

They are obviously sprucing it up outside & noticed on the way home earlier it’s been painted.

The old Ratcliffe sign was obviously JW Lees promoted as it used to be theirs before the club took it over…

Is it the opportunity to rename it and I wonder if our marketing team have considered this?

Any suggestions?

[Post edited 4 Aug 2022 18:07]

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Racky on 17:52 - Aug 3 with 4333 viewsjudd

The Morton Public House?

Poll: What is it to be then?

Racky on 17:54 - Aug 3 with 4322 viewsJames1980

Racky on 17:52 - Aug 3 by judd

The Morton Public House?

The Rose & Curran

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Racky on 17:57 - Aug 3 with 4306 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Racky on 17:52 - Aug 3 by judd

The Morton Public House?

I wouldn't like it to be renamed, un less it was to the Fred Ratcliffe Arms, as I see him as one of the true Dale legends, basically I don't think the Dale would be here today if it hadn't been for him.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Racky on 17:59 - Aug 3 with 4296 viewsToffeemanc

Racky on 17:54 - Aug 3 by James1980

The Rose & Curran

The Rose and Clowns

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

Racky on 18:52 - Aug 3 with 4134 viewsHopwoodblue

Bottomless Pit

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Racky on 18:54 - Aug 3 with 4128 viewsArthurDaley

Racky on 17:57 - Aug 3 by foreverhopefulDale

I wouldn't like it to be renamed, un less it was to the Fred Ratcliffe Arms, as I see him as one of the true Dale legends, basically I don't think the Dale would be here today if it hadn't been for him.

In the bad bad old days, when we used to gather in front of the old stand in front of the directors box and shout Ratcliffe out Ratcliffe out . With out a thought of what would happen if Fred did go.

A large VAT Dave

Racky on 19:07 - Aug 3 with 4090 viewsD_Alien

Racky on 18:54 - Aug 3 by ArthurDaley

In the bad bad old days, when we used to gather in front of the old stand in front of the directors box and shout Ratcliffe out Ratcliffe out . With out a thought of what would happen if Fred did go.

Just as a matter of interest, when was that being shouted, and why?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Racky on 19:19 - Aug 3 with 4038 viewsArthurDaley

Racky on 19:07 - Aug 3 by D_Alien

Just as a matter of interest, when was that being shouted, and why?

Late 60s/ 70s we were totally bloody useless , just scraping back into the league in the voting system . Or around that time , the last two brain cells have trouble going back that far

A large VAT Dave

Login to get fewer ads

Racky on 19:21 - Aug 3 with 4034 viewsMoonyDale

The Bottomleys (Broken) Arms......

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Racky on 19:48 - Aug 3 with 3926 viewsD_Alien

Racky on 19:19 - Aug 3 by ArthurDaley

Late 60s/ 70s we were totally bloody useless , just scraping back into the league in the voting system . Or around that time , the last two brain cells have trouble going back that far

Late 70s...

I missed quite a lot of games around then, so don't recall that happening

But you're right, after his demise, we ended up with Tommy Cannon

Racky on 19:52 - Aug 3 with 3913 viewsjudd

Pattiserie Valerie.

Away players always welcome.

Racky on 19:54 - Aug 3 with 3906 viewsblackdogblue

I was thinking of more of serious ones 😀

The Cloughy Arms would get my vote👍

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Racky on 19:55 - Aug 3 with 3905 viewsEllDale

Racky on 18:54 - Aug 3 by ArthurDaley

I think that the time that I personally was most disgruntled with Fred Ratcliffe was in the late 1970s.
Around the time of the Droylsden FA Cup fiasco for example.
The ground had gone to rack and ruin, the team was woeful.
I don’t remember any sort of prolonged demonstrations against him though.
This was around the time that RAP was regularly putting the boot into Fred as well, mainly to do with the allegedly low wages he was paying at his spring works whilst driving a Rolls and drinking in the Crimble every night.
It was only later that I realised how he had kept the club going for so long. Indeed I think he only finished as chairman in 1980 after the re-election vote which saw Dale keep league status by the skin of their teeth and may have had something to do with his rapport with other chairmen.
Let’s keep his name on the building.
Racky on 20:01 - Aug 3 with 3883 viewsD_Alien

Racky on 19:55 - Aug 3 by EllDale

I think that the time that I personally was most disgruntled with Fred Ratcliffe was in the late 1970s.
This was around the time that RAP was regularly putting the boot into Fred as well, mainly to do with the allegedly low wages he was paying at his spring works whilst driving a Rolls and drinking in the Crimble every night.
It was only later that I realised how he had kept the club going for so long. Indeed I think he only finished as chairman in 1980 after the re-election vote which saw Dale keep league status by the skin of their teeth and may have had something to do with his rapport with other chairmen.

May have been partly to do with Fred Ratcliffe that we survived that vote, but it was also the esteem that Bob Stokoe had in the game. I seem to recall he left Dale as soon as the vote was secured

Racky on 20:02 - Aug 3 with 3878 viewsHullDale

I agree on keeping the Ratcliffe Arms as is (if for no other reason than its an established name and in all of the club advertising).

The Dale Bar being rebranded as 'The Trust Inn' might be a nice touch, though... in honour of the work they have done (over the last year especially) and seeing as its the spiritual home of the trust desk.
Racky on 20:13 - Aug 3 with 3844 viewsDorkingDale

Racky on 20:01 - Aug 3 by D_Alien

May have been partly to do with Fred Ratcliffe that we survived that vote, but it was also the esteem that Bob Stokoe had in the game. I seem to recall he left Dale as soon as the vote was secured

Jack Hammill had a few stories about those days - by all accounts, it was Radcliffe & his hospitality that secured the votes to keep us in the league.
Racky on 20:35 - Aug 3 with 3749 viewspioneer

Yes keep his name….for his contribution over the years.

But it was painful at the end when possibly his enthusiasm and commitment waned as he aged.

I remember some minor demonstrations by a handful of fans when Bob Mountford was sold for peanuts for example.

The supporters club were asked for volunteers to do some painting on the back of the stand at the ground one close season. The paint was to be provided by one of his fellow directors of long standing who was in the paint business. When the lads and lassies showed up to do the painting they found bright purple paint.

Similarly they were asked to help then groundsman Derrik with weeding the pitch …….there was absolutely no equipment to use.

So it ended badly but that should not hide his contribution over many years
Racky on 20:39 - Aug 3 with 3735 viewsBigKindo

I seem to recall that at that time he owned the Crimble
Racky on 20:49 - Aug 3 with 3692 viewsjudd

The Former Director and Employee of Bloated Stature Will Not Be Allowed Back Inn

Racky on 20:56 - Aug 3 with 3673 viewsD_Alien

Let's Drop The Rat* Off A Cliffe Arms

*DB

Racky on 21:45 - Aug 3 with 3546 viewsfitzochris

The Weeping Willow

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Racky on 00:14 - Aug 4 with 3298 viewsSandyman

A lot of pubs have been named after nearby items, activities or people of interest or relevance.

Do not call it the Bottomley's Barrier.

Stick with Ratcliffe's + Dale Bar.
Racky on 10:29 - Aug 4 with 2990 viewssamueloneils

Definitly should stick to Ratcliffe.

Only he kept us afloat throughout the 50s and 60s.

And the 1 vote chicanery that kept Altrincham from replacing us was entirely down to his contacts and skills.
Racky on 10:32 - Aug 4 with 2963 viewssamueloneils

You`re also right Dalien about Bob Stokoe. I seem to remember he left a couple of weeks after the Altrincham vote.
Racky on 11:20 - Aug 4 with 2884 viewsDaleiLama

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024