Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Energy Cost and Football 10:21 - Aug 15 with 2155 viewsA_Newby

At the end of October, we change the from British summertime and the clocks move forward by an hour.

With the traditional Saturday 3 o’clock match kick off this means that most football matches are played at least for part of the game under floodlights.

With the price of electricity increasing dramatically and remembering that there is no price cap for businesses, should the EFL investigate the possibility of moving, at least in leagues 1 and 2, matches to an earlier 2 o’clock kick off to save on energy bills?

How much per hour does lighting the stadium cost?

How would this impact on home and away supporters?
Energy Cost and Football on 10:24 - Aug 15 with 2143 viewsDalenet

Excellent idea. Or even 1.30pm as we move closer to November-February period. Could be done on the basis that both clubs agree and allow 3pms for clubs whose fans need to travel long distances of over 200 miles for example.
Energy Cost and Football on 13:19 - Aug 15 with 1974 viewsboromat

I think this has been discussed on the price of football podcast and I think this is in discussion in the EFL. The additional point that could be financially beneficial for some clubs is that by moving away from 3pm KO you could sell iFollow video passes in the UK.

All for the club saving money anyway possible. Not sure is solar panels/wind turbines etc are something that make sense to invest in now. As a football club we'd probably need energy storage as well to make it worthwhile.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2022 13:21]

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Energy Cost and Football on 13:46 - Aug 15 with 1900 viewsTVOS1907

Energy Cost and Football on 13:19 - Aug 15 by boromat

I think this has been discussed on the price of football podcast and I think this is in discussion in the EFL. The additional point that could be financially beneficial for some clubs is that by moving away from 3pm KO you could sell iFollow video passes in the UK.

All for the club saving money anyway possible. Not sure is solar panels/wind turbines etc are something that make sense to invest in now. As a football club we'd probably need energy storage as well to make it worthwhile.

I'm not sure any movement from 3pm would affect the iFollow arrangements as they currently stand.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Energy Cost and Football on 14:32 - Aug 15 with 1845 viewsDalenet

Energy Cost and Football on 13:19 - Aug 15 by boromat

The batteries to store the electicity generated are expensive. But maybe somebody could sponsor them in return for allowing a firm to show other business how it works etc.
Energy Cost and Football on 15:34 - Aug 15 with 1742 viewsseasidedale

Read somewhere once that changing the clocks saves £1 billion of energy, don’t ask me the logics of it but if it’s right then you can see why they do it
Energy Cost and Football on 15:45 - Aug 15 with 1721 views49thseason

With a South-facing main stand roof, you would think putting panels on it would be a no-brainer, Crewe Alex did so several years ago when there were Feed-in-tariffs (now not available)
https://energygain.co.uk/projects/crewe-alexandra-fc-90-kwp/ but the cost of electricity now makes panels and batteries a worthwhile investment. The cost of running the stadium floodlights will have been markedly reduced by installing LED floodlights, I don't know if all the other lights that are used regularly have been changed but they should be before the clocks change!
A quick google suggests that a 50Kw system would require about 300Sq Meters of roof, generate 450 Kw per year (about £25,000 worth at current Kw prices) and would cost about £50-75K to install as the cost of panels has fallen 60% , Lifetime savings over 25 years would be about £5-600k assuming no further price increases in Electricity bills
Energy Cost and Football on 15:52 - Aug 15 with 1698 viewsboromat

Energy Cost and Football on 13:46 - Aug 15 by TVOS1907

I'm not sure any movement from 3pm would affect the iFollow arrangements as they currently stand.

I was just going off what was stated on the price of football podcast. They seemed to think that only 3pm kick offs were ineligible to sell iFollow video streams in the UK but moving them would allow video streams like they do on Tuesday night matches for example. Obviously it's better to have bums on seats paying for match tickets so I'm not sure this would be a huge benefit to us anyway but possible to clubs with broader and bigger fanbases.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Energy Cost and Football on 15:56 - Aug 15 with 1689 viewsTVOS1907

Energy Cost and Football on 15:52 - Aug 15 by boromat

I was just going off what was stated on the price of football podcast. They seemed to think that only 3pm kick offs were ineligible to sell iFollow video streams in the UK but moving them would allow video streams like they do on Tuesday night matches for example. Obviously it's better to have bums on seats paying for match tickets so I'm not sure this would be a huge benefit to us anyway but possible to clubs with broader and bigger fanbases.

I would imagine they would still count as "Saturday 3pm kick-offs" even though they might be kicking-off at different times.

For example, in theory, there could potentially be 36 EFL games kicking-off at 1.30pm instead of 3.00pm, but the "3pm blackout" would probably still apply at the earlier time.

Maybe.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024